Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

cycled 60k this morning in 2hrs, v warm and i was tired after my 50k cycle yesterday . I am new to cycling and only did 3 months last summer so good to be cycling again and hope to do more this summer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Saw two or three different lads descending the featherbeds towards Dublin in full aero tuck this afternoon.

Seems a bit risky to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I normally shy away from climbing if i can,really hate it but recently ive been doing a few solo spins up hills the likes of the swan and wolfhill in laois spins of roughly 80k with 530m climbing.

So when i embarked Hollywood bound on the club spin yesterday and saw a few of our club mountain goats and racers in the group i was very worried as i knew what was ahead of me but as they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    I definitely need to change my gear setup,while going up Hollywood even in my easiest gear i was grinding and needed more gears while my brother beside me was spinning,made it so much harder.
    I never done Hollywood before so its nice to have done it now.
    I felt tired but okay when we got home but i reckon i overdone it on the fluid intake as i felt like puking for a while afterwards,was so hard to judge fluid intake needs on such a hot day and more climbing than I'm used to i definitely over compensated.

Happy enough with 915m in 80k.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/598063452

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Happened to be in Dublin yesterday morning(normally based in Galway) with the bike in the car and a spare 2hrs so I decided to go searching for Stocking Lane after hearing much about it. Well holy sh#te, flat terrain of North Galway has nothing like it.

May need to go back and recover my lungs from the side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Another big ride around Wicklow today. 2x Sally Gap and 1x Wicklow Gap with 164km and 2020m of climb. Weather was just ridiculously good!

https://www.strava.com/activities/599633660

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

102 kms this morning with a very early start at 5-30. Wanted to avoid the heat! Headed up Red Lane from Greystones and out to Laragh. Then headed up Shay Elliott and Slieve Maan down to Aghavanna and turned around to go back over the other way and home. Wanted to get some good climbing in before the Alps next week and actually felt quite good. 193 kms for the week so happy with that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/598999955#kudos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

105 km with 1830m climbing today. Bohernabreena, Cunard and then up Kippure before heading down the Gap to Laragh. Did Shay Elliot and back up the Sally Gap and home.
    Hope this weather sticks around for a while longer, it's fantastic for cycling.

https://www.strava.com/activities/599223287

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

70km out to the folk's place and back. Pretty happy with my 26.5kmh average speed though it was quite the flat track. Glorious conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Holiday spin , San Fran Golden gate repeats!!
    Tourist crap bike, abandoned by my domestiques who returned SF by ferry, I as team leader of course finished, sweaty and burned, some of the hills here would make the Evil seem easy(i'll have a go on my return) , anyone cycled any of the Bullet hills in the city ??

https://www.strava.com/activities/602253665

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 breakingaway80

I cycled 12km to my office .. it took me 22 mins to reach there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

another cycle from Ashbourne to office in Camden Street, 1hr4mins over 25km (just) feeling beeter on each cycle, fitness getting better and can notice certain sections become easier each time. Not to tar all with the same brush but Bus drivers and White Van Drivers are plane crazy and dangerous.

Getting a little Polaroid Cube to use as a helmet cam just in case

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you use that crazy elevated pedestrian crossing where the N2 meets the M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

yep, only safe way to cross over the m50......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i hate those things. in your case, i'd be tempted to swing off at kilshane cross, head for the end of the runway, and turn right and come down in the back of charlestown shopping centre and back onto the N2 at the roundabout beside lidl. would add 1.5km to the trip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cycling on the rock road today, coming up the woodbine road junction, green light for me so im going through, a Van had pulled out almost the lights and a guy comes zipping up the inside and takes a left towards town, we were both going pretty fast, would have been a nasty collision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Had my nephew over from Kansas and he wanted to do some cycling. He is 18 and does triathlons at home.

So last Thursday both of us and my son left Blackrock to head to Enniscorthy. Went down coast road from Greystones, stop in Wicklow town for coffee and on via Brittas, Arklow, Coolgreany into Gorey and then mixture of backroads and N11 to Enniscorthy where we stayed the night. About 120kms

Day 2 left Enniscorthy and headed to ferry at Ballyhack via Adamstown, Ramsgrange, Aurthurstown and crossed over to Passage East. Took coast road then via Tramore and on to Dungarvan. 112kms

Truly spectacular weather which made everything look nice. Big surprise for me was the stretch of Waterford coastline between Tramore and Dungarvan. Lots of ups and downs but lovely beaches and coastal scenery. Its a part of Ireland I hadn't been to before.

The 2 lads really enjoyed it. longest cycle for both of them. They got a lift home from Dungarvan with bikes while I went on to Lismore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Seaswimmer wrote: »

Big surprise for me was the stretch of Waterford coastline between Tramore and Dungarvan. Lots of ups and downs but lovely beaches and coastal scenery. Its a part of Ireland I hadn't been to before.

Sshhhh. That's a local secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

BrookieD wrote: »
    another cycle from Ashbourne to office in Camden Street, 1hr4mins over 25km (just) feeling beeter on each cycle, fitness getting better and can notice certain sections become easier each time. Not to tar all with the same brush but Bus drivers and White Van Drivers are plane crazy and dangerous.
    in your case, i'd be tempted to swing off at kilshane cross, head for the end of the runway, and turn right and come down in the back of charlestown shopping centre and back onto the N2 at the roundabout beside lidl. would add 1.5km to the trip.

Nicer route off the main roads... https://goo.gl/maps/nGRBTFM81L12

Also more sheltered in windy weather...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Took my new wheels(mavic aksium) for a spin in the phoenix park today. 22 km in an hour compared to my 15 km in an hour last week on my stock shimanoes.

I'll put the improvement down to the wheels, though it was probably me being a bit fitter.:)

Running on yksion elite guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

155k today around the Burren. Unbelievable day. Looked like the med around the coast road from Doolin to Ballyvaughan. have Panda eyes from the sunglasses. Only 1 idiot tried to knock me down too....happy days. Beer will be drunk later

• Advertisement

46km just now mainly between the airport and ratoath. two punishment passes in the space of 20 mins by bus eireann buses. how do i report them? at local station or via trafficwatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

thanks to the guy on a felt this morning, gave me a great lift from along the Porterstown road all the way to the PP.

28.8kms in 69 mins. 24.8 avg kmph. if I could only get the return journey in under 70 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

46km just now mainly between the airport and ratoath. two punishment passes in the space of 20 mins by bus eireann buses. how do i report them? at local station or via trafficwatch?
    if you got the reg numbers of the buses & have the approximate times report them directly to BE and tell BE that you are going to trafficwatch as well, go to their social media pages and post there also!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Kilnamanagh to blessington and straight back main road.... no pump so needed to stay on main road, reckon least chance of punctures and best chance of flagging down a cyclist if I did get one :)
    45 km from memory as computer was acting up...think it's sorted now . Lovely evening last night....just got back before the sea fog rolled in... still foggy our there now.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    if you got the reg numbers of the buses & have the approximate times report them directly to BE and tell BE that you are going to trafficwatch as well, go to their social media pages and post there also!
    already mailed BE with the details - i have the number of the bus in the first incident, which was the worse of the two - and asked them what they could do which would prevent me from going to the gardai.
    i mailed them almost exactly one year ago about a similar incident on the old N2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

First spin on the Deise greenway last night. Did Clonea to Durrow and back. Fantastic views. Loads of cyclists, walkers and runners using it last night. The lights in the tunnel at Ballyvoile look great. Looking forward to doing the full length when it opens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

TrafficWatch is better, as they get logged on some system straight away, and the local Garda then has to follow up. From past experience, if you go into the station, you run the risk of it being filed in the wastepaper bin when you walk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Local spin today, a circuit used for the 2012 Womens TT Championship so did 3 laps of it whuch totalled 38.6km at 32avg, pretty much gave it what i had to see so was pleased, PB the climb on it as well.

All set now for The Sean Kelly Classic Sunday which is sure to be fast and furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Actually yesterday, but as I was coming from the Trim rd roundabout towards Dunshaughlin (on the link road which has been known for some Strava hunting). I passed a tractor which was tossing muck off its wheels. I proceeded to get in front of it, thinking at the time that I would have to keep the effort up or your man will be laughing. I was halfway across this road when the tractor came past me, 'yes' I thought as it passed ' a tow'. I got in behind it and was walloped by a muckball off the trailer wheels, luckily it only hit my shoulder. Dangerous drafting indeed.

• Advertisement

TrafficWatch is better, as they get logged on some system straight away, and the local Garda then has to follow up. From past experience, if you go into the station, you run the risk of it being filed in the wastepaper bin when you walk out.
    grand; i may leave this lie as i did get a response from BE - which could be bull**** for all i know - but at least they claim to take it seriously and bring the driver in over it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement