Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

furiousox wrote: »
    Drogheda-Duleek-Bellewstown-Naul-Ballyboughill-Lusk-Skerries-Balbriggan-Drogheda

About 75km in total, still a bit damp cold and misty out there.
    One heavy rain shower so ducked into the Seamus Ennis centre for a coffee.
    A few enthusiasts out today, some of them even waved back at me! :D

They must be newbees.
    They'll learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nice to have a bit of mild weather again - great to to be out of the tights/overshoes. Did a leisurely 74k - Rush, South City, Ballymun, Killsallaghan, Oldtown, Ballyboughal, Lusk.

Stopped for a snack at the junction of the R125/R122 - thanks to the passing cyclist who asked if I was OK - he thought I had a mechanical.

(Saluted/nodded at a few others in rural parts along the way but just got stared at!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Nice to have a bit of mild weather again - great to to be out of the tights/overshoes. Did a leisurely 74k - Rush, South City, Ballymun, Killsallaghan, Oldtown, Ballyboughal, Lusk.

Stopped for a snack at the junction of the R125/R122 - thanks to the passing cyclist who asked if I was OK - he thought I had a mechanical.

(Saluted/nodded at a few others in rural parts along the way but just got stared at!)

Done that numerous times, no response! Such a heart sinking feeling :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I still think it's a bit silly that it's like that, moreso in the country than in Dublin. Where I live, if you meet anyone while walking, you always wave or say hello to anyone you meet. When I cycle around, walkers and joggers always say hello back to me, but rarely cyclists.

I can understand cyclists not acknowledging each other in Dublin though, nobody is friendly there anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I can understand cyclists not acknowledging each other in Dublin though, nobody is friendly there anyway :pac:
    .....well, we were referring to quiet rural Dublin roads - not busy urban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

Did 60k today.up a loop around Ballingeary/kealkil direction here in west cork.trying to shed a "few" pounds so only had small brekki.big mistake.died a death after pass of keimeneigh and hit the dreaded "wall".had to phone the misses to come and collect me few miles from home.she thought it hilarious!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

surprised at these comments, i salute every cyclist i pass on my rides, and vast vast majority of times get a pleasant response in return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

mossym wrote: »
    surprised at these comments, i salute every cyclist i pass on my rides, and vast vast majority of times get a pleasant response in return

I'd say its down to how good your bike is: the worse the bike = the bigger the inferiority complex = the more ashamed the rider is to salute.

You have a Rose, don't you? ;)

route66 wrote: »
    I'd say its down to how good your bike is: the worse the bike = the bigger the inferiority complex = the more ashamed the rider is to salute.

You have a Rose, don't you? ;)

i do, which means i'm gone past them so quick they barely have time to salute, not see what type of bike i have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

i do, which means i'm gone past them so quick they barely have time to salute, not see what type of bike i have

Get one of these..

5a9689a347a8b14f5ebab3a51e25.jpg

• Advertisement

Zyzz wrote: »
    Get one of these..

5a9689a347a8b14f5ebab3a51e25.jpg

not sure my wife would be too pleased if i brought a man in a helmet with a sign home. i get in enough trouble for the constant sports gear that comes in the door.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Soaked to the skin this morning but not cold. Considering the year we've had so far I'll put that down as a success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

marketty wrote: »
    Soaked to the skin this morning but not cold. Considering the year we've had so far I'll put that down as a success
    If I am honest, I would prefer the frost in the morning, dry air and sunshine instead. I recently changed my lenses from clear to tinted ones and this morning was so dull and dark that is was nearly uncomfortable wearing them, as I could see through, but not as much as I wish... There is nothing as bad in our weather as the lack of daylight we have. Some days are unbelievably bad in this respect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did 85km between yesterday and today. Nice to get out as I hadnt been out for 3 days due to family/family illness/being sick. Hope to do a big one at the weekend.

PS I alsways salute lads I see on bikes. You usually get a hello or what ever. The people who dont are usually the dead serious lads who are head to toe in the best gear including the dark lensed oakleys when its dark

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Really fed up with the damn rain and cold. Can we have some spring please?? Absolutely miserable cycling in the rain, give m the cold any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

As do I.

But thats to give the (false) appearance that I'm not about to cough up a lung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Only out for an hour today. My rear derailleur was auto changing until I dropped into my LBS while I was out, and he sorted it in seconds. Much nicer to ride without random gear changes.
    Sent my Garmin off for repair yesterday and it was wierd not knowing the time or my speed or cadence. I didn't realise just how much I look at it while I'm out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Nice 60k spin today, out to Coachford to return the tube after my double puncture last week http://www.sadtrombone.com/?play=true . Then up the windy gap and powered home, Averaged over 30kmph in the two hour spin, PR's and a fue top 10 results, a great boost after the last day. Also one of my first days out without a base layer or full finger gloves and even had to stop to take off the skull cap, happy days.

http://app.strava.com/activities/48420094

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Absolutely flew into work this morning. Seemed to be the first time in weeks I wasn't struggling into a headwind. Lovely

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

103k up into Bellewstown, drogheda, Collon, Slane and back to De North County.
    Nice spin with good company and a tenacious teenager.
    Few improved stats and hit over 80k on a descent.
    Good way to sublimate some anger...

Improved Placings

30 to 4 - Bellewstown Descent
    12 to 8 - Bellewstown from the East
    100 to 83 - Duleek - Julianstown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I got on the bike for the first time in ages with a roaring hangover, and cycled to the Portmarnock golf links to pick up the car after last night. Fecking headwind, and cold, someone needs to tell the weather we are in April.

Improved Placings

None :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Longest cycle to date, 120km around Cavan. Beautiful morning, and plenty in the legs. Capped it all by KOMing a segment 112km into the spin, only to get the Uh oh! Email 4 hours later. good while it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Club spin yesterday. We had a big mixed group so didn't go far - Puck's Castle, up to Johnny Foxes and Glencullen. Egged up some hills by a Boardsie who shall remain nameless. Had my fastest descent down to Powerscourt. Road surface seems better there than last year with only a few giant potholes and random gravel patches.

Biggest danger was from a Bin Lorry which seemed bigger than the road. Squeezed by. I think they might have been lost.. or on a work outing.

Up the N11 in driving rain and back home via Greystones and Bray.

Utterly soaked but awesome in my new Club Arm and Leg warmers. I look like a soggy red and purple middle aged Spider-Man.

Nenagh next if I can get a pass and then on to the Inter-Club League. It's going to stop raining soon right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Would of been better off in a wetsuit today! Wet and windy for the majority of the club ride. Also had an incident with rail lines with 2 of our members unfortunately hitting the deck. Strange how time slows down when a crash happens and all the thoughts that go around in your head within a second or two! Luckily they weren't too badly hurt though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

57kms with a mate. lovely day but OMG the wind.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Other than the wind a great day for a cycle. Brought the new bike out for a test ride. Only planned to do 30km but ended up doing 65k as I was really enjoying the new bike.

Smashed a lot of my PR on Strava and got KOM Sallynoggin/Glenageary Sprint which I have being trying for for about 7 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,750 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wow that wind. Went up Killakee and planned on going over the Featherbed but the wind was so strong I turned back. Ended up doing a few climbs of Cruagh Road instead, even then the wind was pretty strong at times. Think I actually prefer the cold to the wind, at least you can wrap up for the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Did 50km today out to Howth and back with a new group. I managed Howth Hill and all. It was a great cycle but fcuk me the head wind on the seafront was lethal...

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Could not make Tour de Foothills today so I decided I'd head over to the Hill of Tara to check out the lovely scones I heard about. They were lovely but The wind was painful. Don't think I've had to get out of my saddle to go down hill before! All i can say is that i had a character building spin. think i hit the wall 3 times in the way home. going up the hill into Garristown i'm fairly sure i started to see the light people talk about when your at deaths door. I start hearing voices from dead relatives in my ear egging me on. luke skywalker style as he lines uo his fatal attack on the death star. Around 85k round trip from Balbriggan. Today was not a day for cycling solo. I'm b0ll0cked but strangely satisfied, a feeling only cycling can give you. Feet up and watch the Masters now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

First spin back with my usual training partner, after his participation in the Paris marathon. I was hugely impressed with him, incredibly fit for a guy off the bike for a month or so. Not much pace but he dealt with hills well. Roll on the Wicklow Way!

Also, I've smashed my weekly record for elevation gain, 1,872m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement