Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭rob w

Juśt a short 20k today, but nice just to get out, that is some serious wind, felt like I was pedalling but stationary at times, good for the old legs though! :D and absolutely flew home with the tailwind too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Jaysus, that was windy!!! :eek:

Did a couple loops around the local hills (Mt Venus, Hellfire club, Cruagh). On the way home improved a KOM that I had without even trying, guess that 50km/h tailwind might have helped :D.

Was also the first time this year I was out without tights or leg warmers, roll on the summer :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

No shelter from the wind in Wicklow for the TdFoothills today, 114k all in, I need a lie down :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Jaysus, that was windy!!! :eek:

Did a couple loops around the local hills (Mt Venus, Hellfire club, Cruagh). On the way home improved a KOM that I had without even trying, guess that 50km/h tailwind might have helped :D.

Was also the first time this year I was out without tights or leg warmers, roll on the summer :).

Pretty much the same for me today on a 40 km spin in the Dublin & Wicklow mountains..

First of all, starting to loose some layers - it might have been windy but there was no cold. Still wearing long bibs, but could probably have been ok with shorts.

The southerly wind blew me home and I got some - entirely undeserved - 2nd, 3rd and 4th overall placings.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

absolute grueller to start today, hadnt had a spin greater than 30km since last season. up at 7 and met up with a pal to tackle sally gap via the cherrywood to glencullen to glencree route. well all was fine till we hit the mountains and got absolutely blown out of it with driving rain and gale force winds. still remnants of snow up there. eventually made it to the road back to enniskerry with a welcome descent. got a coffee tackled the old long hill and back home via the route to kilmac. almost 70km in in about 3:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

First time ever tackling North County Dublin after seeing the thread about the hills up there on here.

Started in Lusk and went Rush, Skerries, Balbriggan, back the road and up Ardgillan, Man O War, back to near Lusk (Hanging Baskets), Man O War, Balbriggan, Naul (did hill from both sides) and then headed towards Ballyboughal and half way there turned left and back to car in Lusk

Nice wind and 70k in total. I shall be returning to this neck of the woods. Some good tracks up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Did around 72km in that headwind..good god it was soul destroying :(

Hit 14th place on Strava on the downhill Sutton side of Howth and 5th overall on Boards! 1 second off top 10, 9 seconds off top 5..definitely have it in my legs for 1st place. Watch this space.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Zyzz wrote: »
    Hit 14th place on Strava on the downhill Sutton side of Howth and 5th overall on Boards! 1 second off top 10, 9 seconds off top 5..definitely have it in my legs for 1st place. Watch this space.

:D

Hey! I had 14th until you went and did that! Grrr!
    :pac:

Hey! I had 14th until you went and did that! Grrr!
    :pac:

Ha I just noticed :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

This morning was lovely, nice & bright, no wind or rain and then this afternoon was the complete opposite. Driving rain, wind, soaked to the bone, first a puncture then my chain came off, got oil on my precious jacket!. Then the tumble dryer broke so my stuff is dripping off the rad, hope its dry by the morning.

Still was better than being stuck in the car like most of last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Fastest ever commute in time this morning, 7 km in 10.32. Will need to find a less direct route home, the wind is crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Fastest ever commute in time this morning, 7 km in 10.32. Will need to find a less direct route home, the wind is crazy!

Yeah, bordering on dangerous, almost had the bike swept from under me on numerous occasions this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Very gusty at times alright - saw a few cyclists doing the walk of shame. Nearly had a clipless moment at the lights near Dublin airport. Unclipped one side as normal but a severe side gust blew me into that awful helpless teetering vertical position. Managed to hold it together and fell back onto my loose foot.

Also managed to get a PR on an existing KOM. Beasty was already breathing down my neck on it so it gives me another 4 seconds I think. No doubt he'll divert via that way on the commute home. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Strange wind out there. Was swept along with a lovely tailwind at times, then suddenly hit a wall of a headwind. And nearly got swept right off the bike at O'Connell Bridge. Still, looking forward to the Strava upload later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

colm_gti wrote: »
    Yeah, bordering on dangerous, almost had the bike swept from under me on numerous occasions this morning!

Well, I survived the direct route home. 10.32 was my time in, 23.28 was my time going back :eek:

Was still really nice to be out in the sunshine though!

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Strange wind out there. Was swept along with a lovely tailwind at times, then suddenly hit a wall of a headwind. And nearly got swept right off the bike at O'Connell Bridge. Still, looking forward to the Strava upload later
    Yes it was all over the place in the city centre. I was going up Gardiner Street (i.e. northbound) into what seemed like a headwind even though the wind was supposed to be South or South West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I passed a Boardsie on my way out to Howth. Seeing the effort he was putting in compared to the speed had me anxious for the rest of the spin. Coming down off Howth, gust hit me at 60km/h ooooow, close. THen I hit the coast road. Good god, don't think I've ever come along there fighting a wind like that. Agony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I passed a Boardsie on my way out to Howth. Seeing the effort he was putting in compared to the speed had me anxious for the rest of the spin. Coming down off Howth, gust hit me at 60km/h ooooow, close. THen I hit the coast road. Good god, don't think I've ever come along there fighting a wind like that. AgonyReally good training.

FYP :)

Think I picked a good day to put the girlfriend in for a service..horrible wind, can't imagine going to Howth in that :(

put the girlfriend in for a service..horrible wind
    Tell her that there's tablets available for that. :)

• Advertisement

Tell her that there's tablets available for that. :)

She tried these..too big to swallow though :pac:

android-tablets-guide1.jpg

Also managed to get a PR on an existing KOM. Beasty was already breathing down my neck on it so it gives me another 4 seconds I think. No doubt he'll divert via that way on the commute home. :D
    ....and mighty Beasty just did that and took another 10 seconds of my KOM! :eek::D

....and mighty Beasty just did that and took another 10 seconds of my KOM! :eek::D

I can imagine..he is quite fast..

http://app.strava.com/segments/3748028

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Got an even faster one than that (not a KOM mind!)

Targetting 1k kph this season ...

WTF? Formula One?

Bollox - I just lost another KOM! :eek:

Bollox - I just lost another KOM! :eek:
    Looks like a car journey as part of the "ride" is motorway and he averaged 60kph over 38kms- top speed 122kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Bought a road bike the other day :cool:

Only took up cycling really (since early teenage years) and have been riding a hybrid up to now.

The speed on the road bike :eek: Took her for a spin today :eek:

Felt every bump on the road and it took a while to get used to the braking. I don't feel safe on it though, like riding a motorbike instead of a car. Accidents ahead :o

Beasty wrote: »
    Got an even faster one than that (not a KOM mind!)

Targetting 1k kph this season ...

5809-calling-mayor-bs.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Did my usual evening 25k to the park but ventured out for the first time in lycra. Felt like a complete twat looking in the mirror, still a bit tubby but its going, muscling fast now. Stopped off for a mars bar. Women passing kept eyeballing my crotch bulge!. Had my super reflecto glasses on. Hid my embarassment :|

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement