Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    ....Stopped off for a mars bar. Women passing kept eyeballing my crotch bulge!
    Did it not melt there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I passed a Boardsie on my way out to Howth. Seeing the effort he was putting in compared to the speed had me anxious for the rest of the spin.
    That could've been me. Great fun heading into the wind along the coast there, no shelter at all. I continued on in and picked up a new 5cm friend on the way to Chapelizod.

4Wrchk.jpg

My crappy pump from Argos didn't get me up to good pressure on the replacement tube, so I limped home from there.

It was still a lovely day for a spin. Gradually de-layering, and feeling the better for it :) Managed 65km in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Went for the 20km evening spin but cut it a bit short due to the crazy crosswinds(disadvantage of being on the coast). However, went out to get a KOM back which was successful, and also got a more populated one unexpectedly as well. My heart rate hit 180 but to be honest I was enjoying the wind pushing me along at 45km/h(advantage of being on the coast) to even notice. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Cycled to the shop to pick up a few bitteens, only about 5km round trip, was planning on going for a spin after lunch, maybe 30km, just to get out of the house, between my gaf and the shop the wind nearly blew me under a few cars, all plans of a longer spin abandoned for today...

FECK OFF WIND A FECKING STUPID FECKER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Seaneh wrote: »
    Cycled to the shop to pick up a few bitteens, only about 5km round trip, was planning on going for a spin after lunch, maybe 30km, just to get out of the house, between my gaf and the shop the wind nearly blew me under a few cars, all plans of a longer spin abandoned for today...

FECK OFF WIND A FECKING STUPID FECKER!

Looking out now. Ready to go out but wind is blowing some garden fence panels down. Maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Just about survived the commute home - though the wind threatened to put my 60kg build into orbit a few times :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Shorts and short sleeves yesterday and today for the commute - first time this year - and no wind here in Zurich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Just about survived myself. UCD into Donnybrook was ropey with all the crosswinds. Then around DCU was ropey. Just hope all the motorists give all cyclist enough space in case they're caught by the wind.

Totally agree with Seaneh. WIND, FECK OFF!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Broke out the shorts for the first time yesterday evening, wind on my back and 50 km/h + made the evening commute feel all the better. Struggled like hell against a wall of wind this morning for almost 20km, but it looks like I'll be going warp speed on the way home tonight.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Blown off the bike just after grand canal square with a cross wind. Was able to keep my feet though. Off balance was pushed a few feet towards the canal. Wind seemed to be swirling about there. Walked across the road and got back on the saddle. Took it very handy home. Crazy gusts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Question now is, will it be the same deal tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

colm18 wrote: »
    Just about survived the commute home - though the wind threatened to put my 60kg build into orbit a few times :eek:

Same story here, only a short spin from work but had a few hairy moments, glad to get in the door. Yesterday heaven, today hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Dublin wind report:http://en.windfinder.com/forecast/dublin
    Galway wind report:http://en.windfinder.com/forecast/galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

colm18 wrote: »
    So did I... Jeeezzzz... If I am to point out at the worst weather conditions in recent months (or... ever since I am on the bike), this evening would take a place on the podium, for sure. And I am on the bike about 10 times per week. Don't remember worse weather on my cycle. Unreal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Savage gust on Gardiner Street on the way home. Not great with bladed spokes. Enjoyable few circuits of the Park last night and planning my first day in the mountains this year on Friday if the forecast holds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Cycled home just now, rock road, marked lane, traffic mostly giving room. Conditions not that tough but still need space in case. Stupid bint in Saab undertakes in bus lane, wheels cut into cycle lane, bit of a fright as she moves in closer to front wheel. Catch her at lights, I'll say no more. People need to drive appropriate for conditions, it's not unrideable but ffs please give room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Wednesday is cycling day so at 9.30 this morning I left Phibsboro aiming for Laragh via Stocking Lane. Encountered some headwind through Terenure but took it handy and by the time I passed Cruagh Woods all seemed fine. Five minutes later though the whole thing went to pot: no longer shielded by the mountain I was exposed to the full force of the wind atop the Wicklow Mountains. It was almost impossible to make headway but I battled on as far as the second turn down to Enniskerry at which point I gave in and turned for home via the Dundrum Road. Frustrating and yet oddly satisfying.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Think I know what Harry Reynolds felt like when he cycled backwards up Ardgillan hill all those years ago. It felt like I was travelling backwards anyway - the club league hill climb was due to take place there this evening but fortunately was cancelled or I may still have been battling the 50+kph wind to get all the way up the hill.

In better news I followed it up with a further wind-assisted improvement on my "Shady Lane Sprint" KOM - now 6kph ahead of my nearest rival.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Windy this AM. And not in a good way. A head wind on the fast section. A cross wind on the slow sections.

Probably more of the same tomorrow

Nonchalantly pedaling uphill at 45km/h on the commute home tonight. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

First after work spin this year. Nice 45k not a bad evening managed to avoid most of the showers. Wish the wind would f@ck off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Big thanks to the bus driver (out of service) who gave me a nice tow from Harolds Cross to Terenure this evening. Very appreciated, didn't have to battle the wind like yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Damn - I love calm weather. Fastest commute ever this morning! It's just wonderful out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

beautful morning for a commute - just parked myself at my desk and I wanna go home (the long way) again already :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lovely morning for a spin (too chilly for no gloves though as I learned !!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did 57.1km in little over 2 hours with about 650m of climbing. Great morning for it. Day off tomorrow and then a big spin on Sunday. Really enjoying the new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Lovely if a little chilly out there this morning, did a handy 40 km around the flatlands of Kildare, countryside looks as if it's still stuck in its winter clothes but arrived home to find that "our" swallows have returned so hopefully summer can't be too far away.

It wasnt to cold today. No base layers and my spring bib tights on. Feet were a little chilly but then again they always are

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Going to head out around midday for a spin Blackrock down to Ashford maybe Rathdrum if the legs let me, anyone interested ??

• Advertisement

Fastest commute ever this morning! It's just wonderful out there.
    t'bear wrote: »
    beautful morning for a commute - just parked myself at my desk and I wanna go home (the long way) again already :-)
    I envy you lads that can post from work. Our system is heavily filtered. Almost everything non-work related is blocked even for those in senior management positions.

Probably just as well as I'd get distracted. I'm off today and should be studying for an exam on Tuesday but that blue sky outside is tempting me to throw the leg over the bike instead. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement