Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Wow, what a day, 75k in 2h35m in summer gear, dare I ask has winter finally come to an end !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Sometimes it pays to throw the bike in the back of the car and drive to the start of a cycle and today was one of those days. Laragh, Wicklow Gap, Donard, Knockanarrigan (lunch), Slieve Maan, Shay Elliott and back to Larragh for coffee & cake. Only 74k and just broke the 20 kph average but it was magnificent out there. Well worth taking a day off work and no slog back past the Sugarloaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

The other night when I was cycling home along the canal, the digital bike counter was at 999, me cycling by caused it to go to 1000, I punched the air pretending I'd won a race and continued on my way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

MB Lacey wrote: »
    The other night when I was cycling home along the canal, the digital bike counter was at 999, me cycling by caused it to go to 1000, I punched the air pretending I'd won a race and continued on my way.

Do this for 2K..

peter-sagan-pellizca-el-trasero-al-edecan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

No gloves and 3/4 lengths on (could of gone in shorts!). Lovely day for cycling.
    Had quite a funny moment on the way home. I'm sitting at lights and they take about 4 minutes to change. I'm in between 2 cars and there is a cycle box in front of me. I hear a guy a on a Kawasaki Ninja filtering up behind me. He stops behind me and revs once. I presumed it was an accident, I mean, where does he want to go? Nope, no accident...revs again and I hear him say 'c'mon'. I roll forward slowly, hands still resting over the tops and leaning on the top tube. He goes into the cycle box and waits. Lights change about 30 seconds later, he stalls, I laugh and cycle off in hysterics. Karma's a bitch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Just returned to my normal cycling routine this week after I was knocked down at the start of March.

As luck would have it, I've just been involved in another road accident. A car pulled right out into my path from a side road...thankfully I saw what he was going to do and managed to lose most of my speed but the front wheel still ended up stuck in the wheel arch of the car.

No injuries and I was able to finish my cycle:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Did 40km this evening. Up Vico Hill and up Barnaslignan Hill, just all up. I also got QOM on Barnaslignan as well :)

How are you feeling cassette? How's the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Hyper-extended commute home via Laragh and the Sally Gap, just under 88km. Excellent evening for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Pembily wrote: »
    Did 40km this evening. Up Vico Hill and up Barnaslignan Hill, just all up. I also got QOM on Barnaslignan as well :)

How are you feeling cassette? How's the bike?

Thankfully I'm fine this time and the bike appears to be o.k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sometimes it pays to throw the bike in the back of the car and drive to the start of a cycle and today was one of those days. Laragh, Wicklow Gap, Donard, Knockanarrigan (lunch), Slieve Maan, Shay Elliott and back to Larragh for coffee & cake. Only 74k and just broke the 20 kph average but it was magnificent out there. Well worth taking a day off work and no slog back past the Sugarloaf.
    That sounds the business. The problem for those of us living out here in North County Dublin is that we'd have 40 or 50kms done before we get to Stocking Lane. It makes a return trip to the Gap into a fairly long spin and I'd like to go deeper into Wicklow.

Is there anywhere on the southside with reasonable security where one could leave a car parked up all day?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Is there anywhere on the southside with reasonable security where one could leave a car parked up all day?

Wouldn't trust those southsiders as far as I could throw them......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

RobFowl wrote: »
    Wouldn't trust those southsiders as far as I could throw them......

Exactly..

Youd probably arrive back to your car with it washed and waxed and a new set of wheels installed..

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

After 2 days of shorts, short sleeves and full on sunglass lenses fitted and almost 20 degrees, yesterday it rained as I rode into work. Arrived chilly and wet, but showered and got my gear into an empty office with a heater on full. About midnight it started to snow. Rode back this morning in 2 degrees and a heavy snow shower. Luckily I had warmer gear in my bag. Hot whiskey now to warm me up before bed. Mmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Left work at four headed to blessington and went around the lake. Lovely evening for it, but still had to be wrapped up, felt the chill in the air when the sun went in and the wind picked up even a little bit. Anyways 74kms in two hours fifty one mins. Hopefully it will stay dry and mild over the weekend to get out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Luckily my cycling buddy lives in Larragh (well a mile up a mountain from there) but I would have thought some of the pub car parks were ok if you didn't leave stuff visible in the car. The hillwalking car parks are probably the worst bet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Did the first bit of the Orwell Randonnee new route, Stepaside to Laragh, and then back home over the sally gap. Found it even more punishing than I remembered, first time up the wall this year and it nearly did me in, and the climb up luggala to the gap wasn't much better. Loads of people out, including a bunch of WAR adventure racers, and a number of other boardsies. Suffered lots and seemed like the slowest thing on two wheels out there today. 115k all in at a mere 20kph rolling, 140k in two weeks time with even more hills is starting to seem like a bit of an ask. Magnificent day out all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Did a handy 30km today, plan was to take it easy-ish with a race being a possibility tomorrow! Weather was dull with sunny intervals, but even though the temp was showing 11', it felt more like 5', and me dressed for a nice warm sunny day doh!

I (foolishly) took on Temple Hill, 700m @ 15%, the mission impossible was set > try it with a 39/25 !
    I just made it (phew).

I reckon its a good gear if I'm to tackle for a PB, maybe a sub 4 minute, but I think I need to loose 4kg and 2kg (off the bike) and be at my peak to do it !!

It's stupidly steep, it's more like 200m @ 20% (with peaks of 30% I'm willing to bet) then a little break (feels flat actually!) followed by 300m @ 20%.

Pic taken from middle section looking back down, looks like the road just disappears into a canyon!

http://goo.gl/maps/9mPmW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Did the Kinsale charity cycle, terrific cause and a decent turn out 200-250, excellent day on a challenging course, spectacular scenery along the south coast. Nice cool breeze on the way down to clonakilty and mostly with us on the return so ideal.
    Thanks to all the organizers, stewards and food suppliers, you're efforts are appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

smacl wrote: »
    Did the first bit of the Orwell Randonnee new route, Stepaside to Laragh, and then back home over the sally gap. Found it even more punishing than I remembered, first time up the wall this year and it nearly did me in, and the climb up luggala to the gap wasn't much better. Loads of people out, including a bunch of WAR adventure racers, and a number of other boardsies. Suffered lots and seemed like the slowest thing on two wheels out there today. 115k all in at a mere 20kph rolling, 140k in two weeks time with even more hills is starting to seem like a bit of an ask. Magnificent day out all the same.

Did the same but rather than head to Cruagh I dropped down the devils elbow and rather than going up lugalla I straight to laragh via roundwood and then back up to cross roads. 100k @23 so u will have some company at the back.

Had the company of Brian the taxman from laragh to the crossroads but pressed for time I joined another fella and left him on the descent down cruagh.

Nice to have someone to chat with a forget the obvious pain. Made my 1.30 deadline.:P

Great days cycling. First day in shorts and jersey.

Did 120km in 4h 39m averaging 26km/h and 940m of climbing.

I thought tackling Howth 80k into a ride would be tough but I got a few PRs there. Great day for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

75km around Blessington for the Ronald McDonald House 2013 cycle. Lovely day. Did the whole thing solo due to being a touch late starting off. DI jnr (age 12) did the 25km loop without a bother, which was nice.
    2nd year doing this one, and it's on next year's list definitely. It's just a pity it clashed with the Carlingford 300.

Did 90 km today, most I've done in the last maybe nine months. Happy with myself. However, I fell in the last few kilometers and have two bloody legs now. Went too close to the left of a ramp and clipped the kerb, splat.

On the plus side, all that lack of exercise and chocolate I ate from work meant I managed my top speed ever on old long hill today at 81.5 km/hr, .1 faster than my friend who had consistently been faster than me before. Woop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

103k today, beautiful conditions in north county dublin.
    Went Skerries to Balrothery then Stamullen and up Snowtown then the Swords sat am route and up to the Brig then skerries then home over the Blackhills (easy way :rolleyes:).

Nice group and allowing for mechanicals averaged just under 27k which included a few hills so happy.

Planning to do first race of the season tomorrow, IVCA as the boss is playing tennis in the afternoon so have to be home early !

500k over the past fortnight and feeling the benefits (still rubbish though :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Just second weekend cycle of the year. Did the first part of the Orwell Randonnee as well. Bit shorter than the rest though. Started at dundrum and got as far the sally gap part. Then turned back home from there via viewing point. Met smacl and a few randoms on route. Good fun.

77.9KM, 1422m climbing, 3 hrs 20 mins

Plenty more weddings and stags taken up the weekends so I took next friday off work to get a decent cycle in.:D

Did the whole thing solo due to being a touch late starting off getting dropped!
    FYP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

Just second weekend cycle of the year. Did the first part of the Orwell Randonnee as well. Bit shorter than the rest though. Started at dundrum and got as far the sally gap part.

I think you went past me. You were one of many that I failed to stay on their wheel.
    I ended up in 4 groups today and got dropped by them all.
    I asked a girl if she was in the (war) race. I think she thought I asked her if she wanted a race.
    I'm **** at cycling.
    Rethinking my Orwell randonnee entry.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

102k at 24 km/h today

Bad parts

The headwind from Sally gap to Laragh
    Being passed by cyclists doing the WAR race

Good Parts

Tailwind from Laragh most of the way to rathmines
    Passing cyclists doing the WAR race
    Orange chocolate biscuit cake at the hippy cafe

the goods have it 3-2 :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Was out with the family in Howth and had the chance to take the bike along. Did three laps, two with climbing on Sutton side and the last one with climbing on the village/church side.

Was my first time out there, liked the Sutton side climb. Without the wind it might be a climb that would suit me - not brutally steep, mostly draggy with a few sharp ramps. The church side climb is a beach and then some, jeez it's steep, was in 34/25 and had to get out the saddle to just keep going.

Turns out I'm not a terrible descender, got on first page on strava on one of the segments there, quite happy with that. :)

Hmmzis wrote: »
    The church side climb is a beach and then some, jeez it's steep
    Did you go left or right at the church?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Kells - Moynalty - Mullagh - Virginia - Oldcastle - over the mountain - back to Kells. 60k. Lovely day for it. The climb up to the top of Patrickstown hill (the mountain!) was tough but I made it - just. Great fun descending though and flew back to Kells with a nice tailwind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement