Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Did you go left or right at the church?

Went left. What's on the right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Went left. What's on the right?
    Left is for pussies! Try right the next time. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

65km nonstop, 25 kph avg done in 2.37.
    Got a popular Qom and really enjoyed the cycle, sunny and dry with strong headwind at times.
    Lots of cyclists out, lots of women on racers too.
    Drimnagh- phoenix park- meath farmlands- cow manure smells- sunny country lanes- waiting at gates for trains to pass (my only break)- boys jumping in the canal- more country lanes- maynooth farmers mkt- chat with a cyclist who was singing to himself - swore out loud at the 'surface' of moyglare rd out of maynooth, bombed it along the r156- dunboyne and back home to drimnagh where I ate the sandwiches I'd put in my jersey pocket.
    Then out to town for record store day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

First time up Wicklow Way/Sally Gap today. Got a puncture coming up to Dundrum with the Orwell group and got dropped. Caught back up after the Wicklow Way. Didnt think I'd catch them but there you go!

All in all 92.2 at about 25kph average.

Even got 4th place on Luggala/Roundwood Crossroads to Enniskerry but I'm sure that will go when the rest of the lads check in.

Cheers for the ride Orwell. Enjoyed the step up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

took advantage of having to go to clonmel to the inlaws to drag the bike with me and cycle back saturday morning to killaloe. 92km all in, up through cahir, bansha, tipp town, up to limerick and out the N7.

beautiful ride, 94km all in, and given i was doing it solo was dead pleased to hold just under 30km/hr average for total time of barely over 3 hours. was good training for the upcoming tri's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

100km copper coast yesterday / 90km waterford /lemybrien/carrick triangle today . all on tandem . lots of wind lots of hills . very enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Planned 100km across the two gaps in prep for the Randonnee but I shied away from the crap weather this morning. Thankfully herself thought I was sacrificing bike time so she could get over her hangover. Win.

Went for a hilly 45km instead. Turned out lovely. Went up the bad side of Ballinscorney for a change, I don't do it enough. It's not as steep as I remember. Had a nice tailwind then pushing me all the way towards Sally Gap. Coming through the valley towards the gap, dirty big clouds to the North, beautiful sunshine across snow-topped hills to the South. A definite reminder that it's the middle of Spring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

figs666 wrote: »
    100km copper coast yesterday / 90km waterford /lemybrien/carrick triangle today . all on tandem . lots of wind lots of hills . very enjoyable

Think I passed you yesterday, were you on a Dolan with mechanicals?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Try New Inn, Golden, Dundrum, Cappamore, Birdhill, Killaloe next time.
    Much nicer route IMO

mossym wrote: »
    took advantage of having to go to clonmel to the inlaws to drag the bike with me and cycle back saturday morning to killaloe. 92km all in, up through cahir, bansha, tipp town, up to limerick and out the N7.

beautiful ride, 94km all in, and given i was doing it solo was dead pleased to hold just under 30km/hr average for total time of barely over 3 hours. was good training for the upcoming tri's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ford2600 wrote: »
    Try New Inn, Golden, Dundrum, Cappamore, Birdhill, Killaloe next time.
    Much nicer route IMO

have driven that route many times, but not taken the bike, never thought the road was that good, expecially between dundrum and cappamore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

105 yesterday and 115 today over the two gaps with a little variation. going for an operation next week so thats my training for the orwell randonnee pretty much done and dusted, doctor reckons i can recover in time, hopefully!

also got a puncture for the sixth consecutive spin, urgh... i punctured right beside a rough bunch of boyos cider partying/camping just past glenmacnass, and then my pump crapped out on me too and not a sign of ANY other cyclist for help... disaster! i must have seen 500 cyclists on the same road yesterday... anyhows a complete re assembly of the pump whilst keeping the scum from touching my bike fixed it somehow... lucky, unlucky, whatever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Having not got as much mileage done as i would have hoped over the last 18 months and having signed up for the orwell randonee in a couple of weeks (actually nothing except 50km commuting weekly in the last 3 months). Panic set in and cycling holiday was booked in gran canaria for a week.

Slight problem is that there is a mini-heatwave here and temperatures are hovering around low 30's in the coast and actually higher in the sun traps up in the mountains.
    Not to be perturbed and bearing in mind the last time i was here two years ago i was able to clock up over 2000 km's in two weeks, i thought i would pick one of the shorter 100km routes to start things off.

Oh how i suffered today, hill training previously consisting of the malahide road from fairview to donneycarney once a day probably was not the ideal preparation. The heat was something i have never experienced before, when descending i could feel the sweat dry almost immediately to leave white salty crust all across my forehead and lips, (i had brought plenty of water with me and refilled twice on the way).

The idea of grinding up the climbs as i usually do was quickly beaten out of me and i had to adopt a sit and spin approach but on the plus side the suffering was enjoyable (if you get my drift), the pressures of work and college completely forgotten about and for a few hours at least all i think about is the next hill .

The good news for those familiar with Gran Canaria is that the new motorway from Maspalomas to Mogan has meant that traffic on the coast road is much quieter and far more enjoyable. Also i don't know if it was just because today was sunday and is typically a quiet day on the roads but on the main climb from mogan to the reservoirs i would say i was only passed by 10-12 cars going up and only met another 10-15 coming against me in over an hour of climbing.

The overall stats for the day are 105kms total with 2500m total ascent in just under 5 hours. I wont embarrass myself by loading any strava segments and i wouldn't even to be able to claim any boards honours because a certain Mr. Sherlock has spent many a winter here.

The weather is expected to return to normal later in the week (mid to low twenties) so will hope to get out a bit more and aim for about 500km over the week.

Cycled Waterford Galway last year and took that route to avoid main road. Quite and very pleasant cycling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

due to being on call today I could only do a short spin. planned a 55 that ended abruptly when two spokes decided to die on the rear after 44. Was absolutely bombing it for me. had that cover in just over 1:30.

Got within 10 seconds of a pb on the nags head into a small wind and decided to leave snowton for another weekend. back wheel now in shop.

should have it back tomorrow. certainly beats going out into that wind last sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

So broke out my skobey whiter than white legs today for the first time this year and just donned the shorts. Being a beautiful sunny day when I left I was looking forward to the suns kind rays keeping me company on the way around. 5 minutes after leaving the house I have hail stones lashing the bare skin off me. A lovely feeling as if someone has an industrial sand blaster and my scrawny legs need paint stripped off them. Decide not to stop and seek shelter thinking it just a shower. Suffice to say 10 minutes later i'm wetter than an otters pocket. Feet freezing, arse soaked and gradually loosing feeling in my fingers. Anyway dried in no time when the sun came back and a quick jaunt up Snowtown had me well warned up. No more bad showers after that and really enjoyed the rest of the spin managed 75k in all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Spiddal-Moycullen with the club today. Pace was easy enough to start with as there was some new beginners with us. However the climbs towards Moycullen naturally placed everyone. Was a real nice day for the first half, however the wind was quite cold and when the rain came down it just made things worse. Still, could of been worse, wasn't as bad as the rivers we were cycling through last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Think I passed you yesterday, were you on a Dolan with mechanicals?

yes , that was us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Did just under 60km, dodged some heavy downpours, but on the last climb of the day, not really pushing it, in the saddle and then........pop, my hip shoots with pain, not sure what I did or what happened but I am in a bit of pain now and can only hope that it 'goes' away fairly soon !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Short 40km today, out around the Phoenix park! Managed 8th overall out of 500 people on a certain segment, only 4 seconds off the KOM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

also got a puncture for the sixth consecutive spin, urgh... i punctured right beside a rough bunch of boyos cider partying/camping just past glenmacnass, and then my pump crapped out on me too and not a sign of ANY other cyclist for help... disaster! i must have seen 500 cyclists on the same road yesterday... anyhows a complete re assembly of the pump whilst keeping the scum from touching my bike fixed it somehow... lucky, unlucky, whatever...

I rode along there today too and saw those guys. The sight of tents there struck me as a bit odd, so close to the road, and then I noticed what I presume was their car parked on the other side of the road. It wasn't a typical "get away from it all" kind of camping trip, seemed more like "yerra feck the car over here and throw up the tents just there". As I passed them, one of the guys stood up and with a big effort managed to walk about a metre without falling over - he was wobbling like an MFI wardrobe, his collapse was imminent.

It seemed very odd, the location was weird, they seemed a bit on the middle-aged side for a typical cider party, it was early in the day (I went past in or around 12h45 I'd say). People are weird. Glad you got sorted, it wasn't a welcoming scene, I wouldn't have fancied having to stop there myself.

Another odd sight earlier on the same road was that of a bunch of trees with their (huge!) branches mangled and snapped. Some of the branches had obviously been cut with a chainsaw, but quite a few branches looked like a twig would look if you bent and twisted it in a failed effort to snap it. Except these weren't twigs, many of them were well over 30cm in diameter. It was a bit surreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

did the 100k cut challenge from Rathdowney up the Sleive blooms great day on the bike just short of 30kph average.Did the second half with a good bunch from shannonsiders in Athlone good group riders but one or two stragglers picked up that just haden"t a clue about group riding have to say i am starting to feel so much stronger on the bike but as i have seen here a few times its all about time in the saddle weight is now down to 16st 10lbs happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

134K for us yesterday, some flapping about through Cellbridge to get to Embankment, headed for Sally Gap (my first time through), dealing with blowout, road side repairs, a rescued bird (nice one Gav!), some delightful coffee and cake, followed by a very hairy decent down Military road with lashings of rain and brakes that just didnt seem bothered to work when required, a trip into Cyclesuperstore to try and replace busted type with no cash :-) and home. An eventful day dishing out some lessons. Thoroughly enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Hopped on the bike for the first time in almost 8 months with a mate of mine. I played a gaelic match the night before and had a couple of glasses of the aul vino but thought, I'm feeling good, I'll definitely be able to give my mate a run for his money. About 8kms out and my legs were burning. Seriously. I was looking at him thinking, there is no way I'm giving in here.
    We set off at 10.30 from my gaff in Westport, out the Leenane road and took a right across the Shiffrey pass. Lord mother of god. I hadn't driven that road before, never mind cycled it, and for the first time in my limited cycling career, i had to admit defeat and walk up a hill.
    Demoralised, we kept going and when we hit Doolock I was actually feeling ok. In to Louisburgh and with the wind behind us I made it home in one peace.
    I got a shock yesterday. A real shock. I play football at least three times a week and I try to hit the gym twice a week (core, weights etc) and consider myself to be in pretty goof nick, but yesterday shocked me. Big time!! Nothing else for it, but i'm going to have to go out on a few sly spins on my own to get the legs going and then ask him to join me another day, to enact my revenge! (save some pride really)

You only think your fit when you play football, I played at decent level for years.
    I'm cycling with 7 years, mainly long distance stuff plus mtb, and am in much better shape now at 37 than when 27. I'm still in the half penny place compared to most good club lads I might on spins, sportives or bloody strava!
    Gerry Kiernan was a little bitter but not wrong!

I found both sports didn't mix well, esp calf muscles/achilles tendon
    80s Child wrote: »
    Hopped on the bike for the first time in almost 8 months with a mate of mine. I played a gaelic match the night before and had a couple of glasses of the aul vino but thought, I'm feeling good, I'll definitely be able to give my mate a run for his money. About 8kms out and my legs were burning. Seriously. I was looking at him thinking, there is no way I'm giving in here.
    We set off at 10.30 from my gaff in Westport, out the Leenane road and took a right across the Shiffrey pass. Lord mother of god. I hadn't driven that road before, never mind cycled it, and for the first time in my limited cycling career, i had to admit defeat and walk up a hill.
    Demoralised, we kept going and when we hit Doolock I was actually feeling ok. In to Louisburgh and with the wind behind us I made it home in one peace.
    I got a shock yesterday. A real shock. I play football at least three times a week and I try to hit the gym twice a week (core, weights etc) and consider myself to be in pretty goof nick, but yesterday shocked me. Big time!! Nothing else for it, but i'm going to have to go out on a few sly spins on my own to get the legs going and then ask him to join me another day, to enact my revenge! (save some pride really)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Lap of the park through town then out to Dollymount. Should be ~35k but pretty windy and chilly now.

250525.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

www.facebook.com/events/428750287200212/

A 55km spin for charity, 15euro on the day. Piltown GAA Complex. Co. Kilkenny, Sign on from 10am.

Please guys if anyone would like to come along for a nice spin for a great cause !! :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Gorgeous mild night tonight. Along Clontarf seafront, the sea was a millpond, really wish I'd brought the fancy camera with me - reflections were amazing. Up Howth to sit at the summit and contemplate the nearly full moon. Not even the doggers could disturb my reverie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Fantastic spin out to Carnsore Point and back. Was amazingly warm, after the last few months I never thought I'd feel heat like that again. Seemed that all of Ireland's friendliest and most patient drivers were out today, got lots of waves and smiles. Maybe the sunshine brings out the best in people!

Major downside I think I had the worst bun ever made, in Our Lady's Island. It had to be 80% water, 5% blueberries, 15% dust and fluff.

After that I did what I never do, and cycle along the N-roads. It was quiet enough since there was no ferries coming into Rosslare, so wasn't as loud and miserable as it typically is. A very happy 56km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭rob w

Commuting in this morning it was winter, commuting home it was summer..........how long was I asleep for!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

1st cycle back in Ireland: Killiney to Greystones to Sandyford. Only 4 times did I get ****ed over by motorists and nearly squashed. better than I thought it would be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement