Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

My first 1000 kilometers of the year so far. Would like to have a higher figure but life, work, family etc all get in the way and I only really get to cycle on my commute. Still I'm happier now even with the bad weather, constant head wind (regardless of direction I take!) and the never ending changing of clothes than being stuck in traffic for over an hour each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Today I decided to take the short route home, up the Malahide road. It cost me a spoke on the front. The road is in a heap! I reckon Beasty has been out with a shovel to dig the thing up in case someone might threaten his KOMs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Out for a nice 57km spin. Only bad thing about it was the wind in places. Still enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Set out for 90km spin. Decided I'd get the legs spruced for it, revelal them after wearing legs warmers for so long. Rushed it. Arrived to school with Mini Me, legs covered in blood, I continue to impress teachers and parents alike.

Bit colder than expected, didn't matter in the end. Huge bang about 10km in. Complete blow out at the back. Stood staring at it for ages, really didn't want to start with those tubeless wheels after the hassle on Sunday. Went lookig for bits of plastic. Fellow cyclist stopped, he had no bits of plastic either. Thought perhaps I'd crashed, legs still coverd in blood so. Shoved a load of leaves into the tyre, hobbled back.

Waste of a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Shoved a load of leaves into the tyre, hobbled back.

Waste of a day.

I explained this method to a work colleague when he asked me what i would do if I had no tubes and punctured - he didnt believe that you could use leaves or grass to get you home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

lennymc wrote: »
    I explained this method to a work colleague when he asked me what i would do if I had no tubes and punctured - he didnt believe that you could use leaves or grass to get you home.

I nearly ended up using this method last weekend. Last time I'll ever head out without a spare tyre / tyre patches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Last time it happened we actually found a piece of tube discarded on the side of the road, time before that was descending Shay Elliott at over 50km/h, Nutrigrain bar wrapper. Which I left in for a month. Money was tight, but it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

lennymc wrote: »

What do you do with it? Use it as a patch and have the pressure hold it in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

buffalo wrote: »
    What do you do with it? Use it as a patch and have the pressure hold it in place?

Just stuff the tyre full of whatever you can get your hands on to fill it up and keep it on the rim :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

buffalo wrote: »

You'd do that though if you tore a hole in the tyre, just need something to keep the new tube from pushing its way through the gap. I've seen lads use everything from a €5 note to sweet wrappers....just want something to get you home or to the nearest shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

Kilkenny Innistioege ski station Listerlin Thomastown 80k no snow at LL Hailstones though !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

limerick to ennis with cycle against suicide, glad to have done it, was great to be a part of.

swung away in ennis to be home for the munster match, got a strava KOM and a couple of top 10's on the spin home, we were eating road.

beautiful weather, was a savage day cycling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Cycled 107km today. It was very enjoyable but I really wish the wind would slack off and the sun to come out just a tiny bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I did the usual 45km cycle today, left the house and headed out to Moycullen and then up the hill (and down the other side) to Spiddal and back to the city.

It's 44.1km from door to door and a lovely cycle.

I normall go the reverse because of winds and so forth but decided to do this direction today.

I remember why I usually do the reverse :o.

There's a short climb (1.5km) right when you leave Moycullen heading towards Spiddal.

It's gain of 75 meters and average gradient of 5.3%, with the sharpest part being 7.7%.

I fecking hate that climb, it kicked my fat arse today, thought I was going to die, and that was in 30x30 on my crankset/cassette, it took me 11 fecking minutes to get up the hill....

Jesus H christ I need to lose the gut.

Rest of the cycle was lovely, besides the head wind on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Seaneh wrote: »

There's a short climb (1.5km) right when you leave Moycullen heading towards Spiddal.

It's gain of 75 meters and average gradient of 5.3%, with the sharpest part being 7.7%.

I fecking hate that climb, it kicked my fat arse today, thought I was going to die, and that was in 30x30 on my crankset/cassette, it took me 11 fecking minutes to get up the hill....

I've grown to have a love hate relationship with that climb. I hate looking at it from the bottom but it's a lovely feeling when you've reached the top :)
    Haven't done it that way in a while. Might do it tomorrow. I did it around 4 weeks after I got my bike in January and did it again around a month later and knocked 2 minutes off my time! Probably going to be quiet around Galway tomorrow as I bet quite a few are doing the cycle against suicide ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Set out from Laragh this morning, hoping to do the "left 100" of the ww200. Once on the Wicklow pass and I was wondering what was wrong. I was so slow on a downhill part, I was wondering was a brake binding or had something seized up. Some guys heading towards me, freewheeled past at 30 kph. Uphill.

'Suppose the head wind had something to do with it.

I turned left @ Hollywood onto the N81. The wind was friendlier now, and I was regularly doing 35-40 kph with little effort all the way up to the turnoff just before Baltinglass.

I spent some time last night checking out the route and had some notes with me as well so I was confident I knew where I was going. Until I got to this bit: link. Both Googlemaps and the official ww200 route on Mapmyride (link) indicate that this is a crossroads and you should follow the main road at this point. So I went to the right as the straight on was clearly a minor road. And where is the LH turn @ the crossroads? (answer here)?

Yea, I took the wrong turn and ended up in Augrim!

I plotted a new route and joined back up again with the route proper at Glenmalure. The mistake cost me about an hour and 20 kms but it wasn't so bad I suppose - I was still able to do the Shay Elliot for the first time. I also think I am on track for the 200 in June - I wasn't completely buckled when I finished.

120km with 1,567m of climbing @ 22,7 kmh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Tough day on the bike today mainly due to the return of that cold northerly wind. Down around kinsale and Inishannon and on over to crossbarry . That stretch from brinny to crossbarry is savage, steep and bumpy I've broken a few spokes there in the past but escaped today.93 Km in just over 4 hours so not bad given the conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Planned to do Moycullen Spiddal today. Turned around half way towards Spiddal to avoid the rain and did hill repeats in Moycullen. Couldn't wait to go home to see how much my climbing had improved...only to find out I had paused my garmin by mistake the first time I climbed it!:mad:

i-forgot-to-post-on-facebook-i-was-going-to-the-gym_1347038283.jpg
    Quite a few cyclists out today, good to see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

It doesn't get much more miserable than the stretch from Glencree to Sally Gap this morning. Wind, rain, potholes and feck all shelter. Interesting to see my feet change from white to bright pink in the shower afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

done 80km including up seskin hill in carrick on a TANDEM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Cycled 107km today. Well chuffed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Went in and out of work for a total of 24km. A few rollerbladers on the way home to get in my way, but nothing of note. And it was dry all day

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

this is from saturday forgot to put it up killiney/kilmac/roundwood/laragh/glenmallure and back home. 3 hours 30 min est. had to go back home when i got to shankill atm and throw my garmin at the wall because it froze and mad this horrible bleeping sound. so i going by my watch and how long i stopped for a deadly soup in laragh. beetroot and carrot <3

felt awesome when i got onto the flats to roundwood passed the loaf, little tailwind and having my arms across the handlbars like on a tt bike made some serious ground, not so easy the way back with heavy legs and the headwind haha

some lad in a rabobank jersey commended me on wearing the oul pink giro jersey on the top of shay elliot, freds for life!

lovely day to be out all the same.

alez , do you cyle a specialized allez ?? i do , awesome bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Put a deposit on a bike Saturday!

Took the hybrid on a spin to Enfield and back from Maynooth... pretty slow going down...thought about turning back a few times.

However a pretty good tail wind behind me on the way home with an optimistic average of ~24kmph!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

figs666 wrote: »
    alez , do you cyle a specialized allez ?? i do , awesome bike

I used to fig it was my first road bike, currently on a dolan mythos with white kysirium equipes hard to miss when you've got a big bright pink jersey on some days haha
    have to say the allez was a great oul bike but by the time I bought my mythos frame I had upgraded the allez to ultegra/105, carbon bars, saddle post and stem and 105 wheelset. By the time I got my new frame I was pretty happy with the bike :)

ya bro , solid machine . i've tiagra groupset on mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

A brisk 55k spin while my little one was in school, took in nearly 700m of climbing with a couple of top 5 results and PR's, but best of all reached my personal goal by breaking 2000 recorded km's before May, woo hoo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Did a quick 25.5km this evening, took it very handy, head wind on the way out, tail wind on the way in was nice though.

Stopped at the traffic lights in Barna village coming from the golf club direction waiting patiently for the light to go green. turn my head and spit towards the curb, right when the spit leaves my mouth some girl in a blue Tour De Burren jersey barrels through the red light and straight into my spit at about chest level.

If it was you or you know the person who cycled into my spit at about 18.45 today, I have two things to say.

1) Sorry, was just trying to clear my mouth, didn't even know you were coming through.

2) Stop breaking red lights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Maybe she'll think twice about jumping red lights now, you should have phlegmed instead :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement