Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

60km hills and wind , average speed 26kph , good , i'm only out since feb . heading to alps in june !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

Went out by Cappagh hospital across the M50 and through industrial estates (very quiet) then on to Ratoath, then the Skryne road to Skryne (2 pubs and a medieval ruin).
    It was 10 degrees and ferociously windy, so I turned back to Ratoath, had a warming cup of tea in Centra, then did a few extra kilometres on small local roads to get in 100 kilometres by the time I got home.
    By the time I got home it was about 13 degrees and sunny.
    Lovely road from Ratoath to Skryne though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Armed with two energy drinks, nutri-bar, a banana, and most importantly a packet of jelly babies I completed my first 100km this morning (Howth -> Malahide -> Swords Airport -> Naul -> back through Malahide -> coast road -> Howth! Only new to cycling, generally just commute to and from work in town but managed the 100km in 3:58hrs with a five minute break so I'm chuffed with having reached my first milestone :D Legs feel a tiny bit tired now by overall grand, just waiting for it to hit me in the morning lol.....One thing I must say, out around the Naul has some nice roads for cycling! Roll on my next long ride, I'm hooked on the sport now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I cycled up to Lidl & got some groceries. All in all there & back about 4.5 km or maybe a bit more. Tobh didn't take much out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

76k on rolling roads from Coleraine to letterkenny in a vicious wind for Cancer care. Brother in law volunteered me. Grouped then dropped. Grouped again and dropped. Finished just behind first group. Happy enough with avg today though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Pure frustration on the roads today. Apparently the risks of overtaking at 80 kph around a totally blind corner with a solid white line with on-coming traffic just doesn't register with people. I'm too ****ing nice! Far too many people have died at that corner, one school friend of mine included, and one cyclist last year.

Must make a mental note to just not take it personally and stay calm. Use a camera and report it if I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Dublin to Athlone and now heading off to Galway. Cycle4 haiti. Quite a few sore heads at the breakfast tables around me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Had my bike shipped over to Melbourne a month ago (65euro with anpost!). Got myself one of those garmin computers too. I've got to says its probably my most prized gadget at the moment. Absolutely love it.

So instead of telling you about my cycle i can show you !

http://connect.garmin.com/player/307857901

Unfortunately the power crapped out after late 85km-ish into the 100km ride

Heres the ozzies take on Chamois cream

20130502184738.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

90km. The 1st 40km or so into a stiff headwind had me looking forward to a nice tailwind for the homeward leg. No such luck. :rolleyes: Still thoroughly enjoyable mornings excercise. Took me the guts of 4 hrs all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

104km around Meath, moving time 3:38 with a coffee break in Tara. Average speed 30km / hr, which I was happy with. First day out in summer gear as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

90km, 27kph average , tandem , great ride , really enjoyed , summer gear on . all good .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

77k with company for a change, couple of Kom's to cap my week off nicely:D

http://app.strava.com/activities/52432194

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

100km tour of sligo. My second ever 100km. Very enjoyable. Very sore and tired - I suppose it's a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

72km spin today. Did an extra 10km loop instead of stopping with the club. Added around another 25minutes on to the journey. Tried to catch the group on the way back but ended up coming in 5 minutes after they arrived back. Still, was good training for when I get dropped next year when I plan to race :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Only planned to set out for a short spin,but with the weather so good and I was enjoying it so ended up going around the Sally Gap for the first time. Finished up doing 70km or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

reilig wrote: »
    100km tour of sligo. My second ever 100km. Very enjoyable. Very sore and tired - I suppose it's a good sign.

As steve cram commented during the recent london marathon "The aches and pains will go away but the satisfaction that you did it will remain with you forever."

Was in Kerry and we headed from Killarney over to Glengarriff and back, 115Km and a lot of climbing, cool and drizzly but it's kerry and a tail wind coming back to help us along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

Out to Howth and back today & yesterday. Big headwind on the way back both days, made for a lot of cursing the wind. Was marginally easier today with some effort involved. Looks like the wind direction is to change tomorrow and will give it another blast tomorrow. Good to see so many out enjoying the good spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

First 100k done on Tour of Sligo. Great event, so well organised. Different class to other sportive i have done. Been recovering from knee trouble this year so well happy to finish pain free. Must have been a thousand cyclist on this. Super experience. Really chuffed with myself was a tough enough route but the hill climbing training I have been doing around North County Dub really paid off. Ladies Brae was the big climb and it came early which was good at around 35k. paced myself on it and made full use of the granny was surprised when I reached the top as I thought it would be longer! Fair few lads ended up walking in parts. First food stop wad at 50k but decided to keep going as was in with a nice group an and hit the one at 70k. Got in with a group from a Longford club airhorn and all for the last 15 and the finished with a nice flurry.

Only tarnish on the day was the Tw@t with the aero bars and ear phones in who nearly took me out 20k in but successfully managed to take 2 or 3 lads down. The organisers must have said they both were not allowed 10times at the start. I honestly would have slapped him had he knocked me off. It's amazing in every group of people of a large size there is always one ;-)

Until next year and the 160!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

After doing the 100km yesterday, was in no humour to part in consumption of alcohol last night even though a babysitter was organised so it was early to bed! Up early this morning myself and herself went for a leisurely 30km spin out around Malahide and back and was delightful for a number of reason, 1) first thing this morning was beautiful, 2) life feels so much better without a hangover and tbh the kick from feeling so good knowing that you're not hungover and enjoying the cycling much more for this reason is brilliant, 3) the coffee and pastries from the Avoca shop in Malahide Castle are gorgeous :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Nice and quick spin sat am, 80k around North County Dunlin with good company from some of Swords CC.
    Sunday did the Vets race in Drumree on a cirucuit new to me. 88k at 36kph with me being unusually active in the first lap especially and actually dragging group up hills (glorified drags!). Abolutely shagged after ans much to the annoyance of Mrs Fowl spent the rest of the day dozing and being half there!.
    All in all an enjoyable weekend on the bike and a short family spin today beckons..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

140k on Saturday, 70k on Sunday and another 70k around Wicklow today... Weather is great and you cant beat cycling in Wicklow when the sun shines! ( off home now to beg forgiveness from the missus for abandoning her for the weekend)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Cushtie

first tme out on the bike in about 18 months today. have signed up to do a charity cycle at the end of June so alot of traing to do.

Did around 30Km, all relatively flat. last few Kms home were into a stiff breeze, would have been faster walking :o seriously unfit and ass on fire :eek:

any training tips greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Cushtie wrote: »
    first tme out on the bike in about 18 months today. have signed up to do a charity cycle at the end of June so alot of traing to do.

Did around 30Km, all relatively flat. last few Kms home were into a stiff breeze, would have been faster walking :o seriously unfit and ass on fire :eek:

any training tips greatly appreciated.

Eat less, cycle more.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Eat less, cycle more.

Funny I cycle more so I can eat more ;-)

To the chap looking for traing advice I can only pass on what I learned. Make sure your bikes set up right and comfortable. Build up the miles gradually. Say no more than 5% more miles per cycle Don't over do it you make all you gains in your rest days. No point cycling7 days in a row and killing yourself with ni time for recovery. Try and eat healthier (though I haven't) and think about joing a club when your able for 50k or so or even less, that will really bring you along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

First 100 of the year from Glasnevin to Drogheda and Bettystown and home again. Out and back on the R122, one of my favourite roads in NCD to avoid my least favoured, the R132 (old N1). Thought I was going pretty well somewhere between Oldtown and the Naul when I saw a leaf blowing down the road towards me. Cheered me up no end until I turned for home in Morninton and realised I had had a following breeze all the way out despite the bloody leaf. Paid for it too on the way home but a really enjoyable cycle despite this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

I went out to Dun Laoghaire saturday, 48K. This was only my second time back out on the bike since June last year. Great to be back out, didn't realise how much i missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

On Sunday I did Drogheda, Duleek, Julianstown, Balbriggan, Skerries and then straight back into Drogheda. Lovely cycle in 2hrs 15mins.
    Road from Duleek to Julianstown has a savage surface.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

went out in a group in an effort to help the stiffness after the great limerick run yesterday . seemed to work, a fast 70k. was feeling good, but knew towards end legs hadn't a lot left. punctured 500m from home, decided to walk it so as not to waste a co2 cartridge, by the time i got home legs had stiffened up completely and been beyond sore since. might do a nice easy spin tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

130km done today, shade over 5 hours..sun was so nice..and I actually got burnt :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement