Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Cushtie wrote: »
    first tme out on the bike in about 18 months today. have signed up to do a charity cycle at the end of June so alot of traing to do.

Did around 30Km, all relatively flat. last few Kms home were into a stiff breeze, would have been faster walking :o seriously unfit and ass on fire :eek:

any training tips greatly appreciated.

Do more;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Decided at 7:30pm this evening to go for a spin as it was such a nice evening after a miserable wet and windy day, only managed 35km as light was fading and didnt want to chance being out after after twilight when idiots are still driving around without lights. Met zero others out which I thought was strange as bank holiday weekends are usually busy wth pedalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Did my second ever cycle today, Ennis to Crusheen return. Total distance is 29.2km. Avg. was 24.4km, but had to slow down twice to fix pump. The return leg was at lot easier. Pedaling was more balanced and easier to get a cruising gear. Was over a 4 minutes quicker in the return because of this.

I know its not near as much as everyone here but was well chuffed and just trying to enjoy it first.

For those who are interested, I'm riding a Specialized Roubaix. My riding position is quite high (need comfort for back injury) and the plan is to move the handlebars down a spacer every 4/6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

stunning day for it! had the giro jersey on again :D haha did a few lovely climbs and enjoyed a nice soup in roundwood. really couldnt beat it out there!

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/203951690

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Had my best so far on Sunday.
    42.2 km in 2h. Hated the wind, but loved the road. Tomorrow hopefully will do a trip to Tullamore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got totally lost on the back roads of Wexford yesterday, with a planned 5-6 hour flattish spin becoming 8 hours, much of which was over lumpy, marginally paved l-roads. Delighted to eventually find the Carnew road somewhere near the Kilcavan gap, though pretty wrecked on getting to Laragh and pretty much limped home from there. A hot bath, cold beer and mixed grill later, all was well with the world, but feeling the legs today. The cateye battery also died somewhere on the road home, so no idea of distance covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

64km from kilmac through glendalough, wicklow gap and back. Wicklow was showing off yesterday , looking especially well in the sunshine. Managed to get a bit sunburned even.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

smacl wrote: »
    Got totally lost on the back roads of Wexford yesterday, with a planned 5-6 hour flattish spin becoming 8 hours, much of which was over lumpy, marginally paved l-roads. Delighted to eventually find the Carnew road somewhere near the Kilcavan gap, though pretty wrecked on getting to Laragh and pretty much limped home from there. A hot bath, cold beer and mixed grill later, all was well with the world, but feeling the legs today. The cateye battery also died somewhere on the road home, so no idea of distance covered.
    If you had given me a shout i could have met you on the gorey - carnew road.......regular route for me that is...... kilcavan gap is my kom ... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Today's cycle was back up North. Newry to just past Warrenpoint and back. Came back through the town, then back up the massive hill on the way back. This is where I hit my first milestone - I fell off the bike :(. Was knackered, going up the hill and pump went between my spokes. I was barely moving, so the slowest fall ever. Fell onto the footpath and not the road. Bike tyre slightly buckled.

When I got back to the house I hadn't hit 30km so went up Rathfriland Road and turned off to a big hill (4.3% avg. grade) after finishing the second biggest one in the town. Kind of thought, might as well since I had a broken bent pump in my hand and the cycle down would be fun :).

Stats are poor today due to crash, and forgot to turn off timer when peak of helmet fell off and trying to cross the road and wait for traffic to collect it.

So avg. speed 23.3km. Elev. Gain 101m. Distance 31km. Top speed on flat was 52km and head wind all the way.

Still enjoying it :). Spent a bit of work thinking about my route... Next cycle on Thursday.. Gym tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Quick spin after work. Dunderry, Athboy, Trim and back to Dunderry. Just 26k. Got hit with a very wet, very cold shower going up the Hill of Ward. Nice to stretch the legs and clear the head after a busy day though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I had to drive to work yesterday, needed the car after work.
    Left the house at 8.05am, got stuck in the familiar slow moving tailbacks, bumped the car over the usual 52, yes 52!, speed ramps, arrived at work 9.25am, frazzled and 25mins late because the traffic yesterday was dreadful.
    Total distance 10.8km, time taken in car 1hour 20mins.

Today, thankfully I didn't need the car and cycled in.
    Enjoyed a little lie in, got out of bed 20 mins later than yesterday, looked out saw the weather was rainy and windy, put on my waterproofs and cycled the usual commute down Crumlin rd, checked out the ducks and swans gliding along the canal, overtook a few cyclists, got overtaken by others, no problems, bit windy.
    Left the house at 8.25am, arrived at work 8.51am.
    Total distance 8.9km, time taken by bike 26 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

100k yesterday around meath/westmeath,windy and overcast but warm for about 80k, then the sun came out and managed to get to short sleeves for the first time this year, was delighted until 2k from home when out of nowhere I got blasted by 5 minutes of hail that nearly flayed me!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

marketty wrote: »
    100k yesterday around meath/westmeath,windy and overcast but warm for about 80k, then the sun came out and managed to get to short sleeves for the first time this year, was delighted until 2k from home when out of nowhere I got blasted by 5 minutes of hail that nearly flayed me!

Irish weather. It's not so much that it's different from anywhere else, just that we have much more of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Cycling home through Ranelagh and got t boned by a car. Tried to brake but bike skidded. Slowed me down a bit though. Bike went into front left panel of car and I ended up doing a ninja/judo roll across the bonnet onto the ground.
    Driver was very apologetic and invited me in for a cup of tea. I politely declined. Feel fine so far and didn't hit my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Yikes :eek: At least you're ok

Did 25km this evening. Loved it. Even when it started raining and I was cycling into a headwind :D Feel like I'm actually building up endurance. Pity the weighing scales doesn't tell different :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Cycling home through Ranelagh and got t boned by a car. Tried to brake but bike skidded. Slowed me down a bit though. Bike went into front left panel of car and I ended up doing a ninja/judo roll across the bonnet onto the ground.
    Driver was very apologetic and invited me in for a cup of tea. I politely declined. Feel fine so far and didn't hit my head.

Terrible - did you get his number? Any damage to bike or body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Lovely evening cycling home from work. It was weird...it was like....the sun *almost* felt warm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Took my first cycle in years on my new bike. Looking forward to getting back into cycling for exercise and headspace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

A blustery 100k to Drogheda and back. Stopped to pick up a Selle Rolls from 1jcdub ( thanks very much sir ) and after some pleasant conversation in the sunshine, I took a crack at Bellewstown hill from the North end, making a modest improvement on the last effort. That wind seemed to blow from all directions. Mad weather. It can only mean one thing..

Summer is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭seanin4711

not the best day in the saddle found the going tough but glad i did it and ready for connemara in a few weeks.
    some nice pulls on the legs around lough mask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Chipbutty

Cycled the Polkadot today 82km, avg 23km/hr, 996m gain, 3.5 hours. First time on climbs like that, tough day the hailstones didn't help heading up Lallys Mountain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Woke up yesterday morning to the rain lashing against the window and the wind blowing. Not looking good for it and all I wanted to do was to put the covers over the head and go back to sleep. But struggled onwards and upwards and into the wind and rain. But all my enthusiasm was sapped in the first 20kms. Done 45 in total, just did not get into it at all. On the plus side though i did manage to top out 55Km/hr with wind at my back and pushing hard, and with my little distance done yesterday I have now done over 1000Kms for the year since the first week in Jan on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Commute in this am, was nice and windy and as discussed recently on here, wind and hills are good. So left the house without brekky and got into top 10 on segment near work - moral of the story - Eating is cheating :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

RainyDay wrote: »
    Terrible - did you get his number? Any damage to bike or body?

He pointed out his apt an asked me in for tea. Probably where hes staying but mightn't be either. He said he'd look after any expenses but people like to change their mind after the fact.

The body is fine. Got a once over by a doctor. Sprained my wrist but thats nearly normal again now. Just a little weak. Hip and shoulder a little soar but nothing to worry about

Bike has a little buckle on the front wheel and mudguard is damaged but I'll give it some super glue and should be fine. The bike is a beast and I think it did a bit of damage to the car. Not sure how my road bike would have stood up to it. First incident on the commuter after 5000km.

Cycled into work this morning so all is well.

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Good spin on Saturday. Just under 90k from Navan to Trim, Bective, Kilmessan, Trim again, Robinstown, Dunderry, Athboy and home. Got soaked twice, the second time cut in half by very sharp hailstones just crossing the motorway interchange. No shelter at all. Diet of Nurofen Cold and Flu since and a day in bed yesterday. Feeling a bit better today so hopefully will be back to normal by mid week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 smelly moe 1

i cycled all the way the shops today

well i would if i had a bike

but i ehh dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Took the day off to get over to Wicklow and put some hills in the legs. Quite drafty on the way from Swords through town, so I knew it'd be blowing hard up Sally Gap, though the sun was peeking through the clouds and it was generally quite pleasant and knocking on the door of 13C.

Weather held as far as Sally Gap and then turned real nasty on the 19km stretch to Laragh, wind got up big time and it was already howling, hailstones sand blasting my face interspersed with biblical deluges and the temp had plummeted to 3C. Had to stop every now and then on the descent to Laragh to thaw my hands which couldn't feel brakes or gear levers.

Some hot soup and a coffee in the Hippy Cafe curing my ills and the spin back wasn't too bad, wind was on my side!

A pic before it got nasty

sallygap.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

What a 3 days on a bike did Tour De West truly epic craic start to Finish.We pulled out of Ballymahon Friday morning @10 got caught by a shower almost straight away but then it dried up and we were ok for the rest of the day.The wind was tough going heading west straight into it and a mixed group ability and fitness wise. Stopped in Ballinasloe and Craugwell got to Salthill Hotel Around 5 o clock
    Saturday decision to make long route 200 km+ short rout 100 km+ after a long drink from the HTFU bottle I picked the long so 6 on the long 10 on the shorter very hard work out as far as Maam x wind was crazy strong,Turned for Maam village and wind was coming from our right was hairy on the descent into Maam village then over to Clonbur we met up with the shorter crew there and some of the guys doing the Pokadot challenge we were at 70 km at this stage one of the band of 6 joined the shorter crew.We now 5 brave souls headed for the hills over beyond Finney some serious climbs at this point. I was very much the weakest link by now as my climbing while improving rapidly is still not the best.Then 5 become 4 hamstring problems 103 km's done we turn for home and I am very tired knees getting very sore and stiff heading back the other 3 are doing up and overs I am balls out just to stay on the back.At Maam X my heart sinks when instead of going left they go straight across head in by Carna ,Spideal and that way just kept going almost cried with joy when we hit Bearna arrived back 211 km averaged at just short of 27kph and everything considered the hardest and best day I have ever put in on a bike
    Sunday we split into two groups with the first group heading of about 50 mins before I was very tempted to go with the first group as my legs were very stiff but again I said you have come this far time to see it out we had the wind at our back and the pace was very fast i was finding any bit of a hill very hard as the fronts of my thighs were very tight we caught the first crew just coming into Kilreekle we pushed on to Ballinasloe and waited for the first group then all went from there to Athlone and on to Ballymahon as one group.3 days 460 km's and some memories for life really great weekend
    Sorry about the length

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mcallaghan

Rode from Kenmare to Bantry today over the Caha Pass. I think I have my legs under me know as the climb was quite enjoyable. Well, steepness level and all. Had a bit of rain in Kenmare but had to shed the rain gear after the rain stopped as the sun made an appearance. Took a toilet break up at the Farm/Tea House on the Caha Pass and in the 5 minutes I was in the loo the sun went away and a storm blew in. Put the rain gear back on just in time as I came out from the trees and got blasted by the killer head wind that has plagued my entire trip. The most exposed area on the Caha Pass - up on that ridge like area - and I got wind swept. Closest I've come to coming off the bike due to the ferocity of the wind. It was making the rain sting quite a bit. Rain cleared up but the wind did not - based on the winding nature of the road (well, the main curve) I thought I'd have the wind at my back, but no, stayed in front of me until i got near the tunnel. Nearly got blown off my bike going down the other side as the wind hit me from the side while I was leaning into a turn. Did not like that. Nice downhill into Glengariff, finally found some smooth road, and then slugged it out with the wind into Bantry. B&B I am staying at is quite off the beaten pass but has a lovely view out onto the water. The little old lady was kind enough to drive me into Bantry (would have been a good 45 minute walk otherwise) so I could get some dinner, and drove me back an hour later (she attended a meeting). I'm the only body staying here tonight as well, so nice and quiet.

Deciding on what to do tomorrow - Sheeps Head Pennisula, or down to Mizen Head and back. Might play it off the wind - if its a N/S wind, then Sheeps Head for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not done too much riding lately as had a horrible cold/flu/cough that took ages to shake and then 13 days holiday - managed a half decent spin one day on a rented bike

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/313023810

temperature hit 38 degrees!! but it didn't feel too bad as there is a nice breeze to cool you. You only notice the heat when you stop. Loads of cyclists out and about and everyone waves or nods. Roads are good too so I'd like to go back and do more.

Out today as I had to get an early flight to Zurich and I'm not in work until tomorrow. Couldn't be bothered planning a route and putting it in the garmin so I just looped together all the bits I sort of know and looped around the airport so I wouldn't get too lost. Even managed a PR on a Strava sprint segment! Ave temp was 23, which was nice...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/313086972

http://app.strava.com/activities/54320437

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement