Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I went out with the idea of a 20k spin from Finglas to town then out to coast, Donabate and home west. Felt pretty awful for the first hour, usual pushing it, no rhythm, no ease. Was heading to sutton cross from south coast road and wanted to call it but I wanted to try my first climb of howth. I imagined I'd get a few hundred and turn back the way I felt. On my nightly 20k park spin the mild climb up to Finglas always wrecks me so didnt think I'd have a chance at this weight.

Its a long ramping climb, difficult by my fat man standards but my legs somehow felt different. Was in 34-27 stuck my head down and focus on a rhythmic pump. Was amazed, didnt meet the wall I had felt on the short spins this far. Seems i need an hour in before the legs realise we are cycling and start to co-operate. 12kmh on the steeper bits was basically walking though :rolleyes: . The steeper 150m past the summit pub did bite a bit but I made it. Then the descent! Fu*k me. I still had a gear left as I hit 65kmh on the north side downhill. Was on the brakes too. I could have hit 70-80 if I had spun out and let go. Very exciting.

The run home was dreadful. Coast to fairview icy rain opened up and doused me all the way home. Im dressed for sun with windproof not waterproof. Hit a big submerged "thing" that nearly threw me under the wheel of rapidly passing traffic. Turned my blood to ice for a moment. Arrived home with numb, arse, feet, dickballs but felt good. Not wrecked or anything just beaten by the cold and wet. 55k my longest spin yet. Broke a spoke on that "thing".
    (Yesterday)

254023.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

80km today at 3hours 2mins.average of 26.5 km.brutal windy.had a hail shower in the middle of May ffs.shorts not the best idea!and had a pb on kealkil to cousane.result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

I pretty much brought today's misfortune on myself. Had just repaired a puncture at home, and as I was heading out the door, I debated throwing the repair kit in the bag and thought, nah, it'll be grand.

Naturally I puncture, out by Connolly Hospital. And I hadn't any money on me to get a taxi or a bus either. Where's the "Tell us about your walk today" thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

34k in and out to work, followed by a 55km fast spin out and back to Garristown from D15. Waaaaay to much for a school night, going to feel this on the bike in the morning.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Nice 30k. Navan - Kells road - Ardbraccan - Boyerstown - Robinstown - Navan - round by Johnstown and home. Lovely. Felt like a summers evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Nice 30k. Navan - Kells road - Ardbraccan - Boyerstown - Robinstown - Navan - round by Johnstown and home. Lovely. Felt like a summers evening.

Did you manage to stay on your bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

^^^^^

oh, ah I get it now...took a couple of seconds.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Great spin this afternoon with great company.
    Windy out there but warmer than I expected. 12 Strava thingy's so must have pushed it at times :D though got my ass put in place up Ardgillan...

Really is a wonderful lifestyle choice this cycling lark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Cycling home yesterday and a runner ran full force into my left side. I normally clip out my left foot first so it went against my instinct to unclip my right cleat first. I just barely got clipped out in time and the runner grabbed me by the arm before I went over. We both paused there for a couple of seconds, both shaken, both apologising, the runner still holding me by the arm. :) Nobody hurt so we just both went on our ways, heart rate a lot higher than before :)

58k last night, very pleasant evening for a spin. I am somehow drawn to hills and drags. I was on my own so had been directing myself around the route. Ratoath - Garristown - Kilmoon - Balrath - Skyrne - home. Sat down with a cuppa to watch the cycling on the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Out for a quick 50km run yesterday morning, Dundrum - loop of Airport and back.

On the return in Dorset Street, it felt like I got a puncture then the wheel stopped turning within a second or two. Unclipped, checked the wheel, no puncture but couldn't even spin it by hand.

Another cyclist stopped to see if I needed a hand. He had a look and couldn't figure it out either.

Walked to the nearest bike shop (McCormacks Cycles) and feeling a bit :o because I'd no money with me, I asked if they'd have a look. The fella there spent a few minutes taking things apart and put it back together for me. I started up again and after a few revolutions it seized up again.

I decided to walk and ring someone to come collect me. I had walked passed another cycle shop (The Bike Institute) and I hear a fella shout to me, asking what was wrong. I went back and showed him. He brought the bike inside and started taking the wheel off. Told him again I'd no money, he said he didn't want any. He'd be happy to do a good deed.

He (Sean) spent 20 minutes or so on the wheel, said he'd fix it up to get it home and to get it back to my LBS as the wheel was only a month or so old.

He got it going for me and about 250 meters from my house it went again. I was happy just to get home.

It's good to see there's some decent people out there, happy just to help out someone in trouble. A big thank you to both shops. I promised them I'd return and fix up with them and I will keep that promise, once I get my bike sorted!

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Out for a quick 50km run yesterday morning, Dundrum - loop of Airport and back.

On the return in Dorset Street, it felt like I got a puncture then the wheel stopped turning within a second or two. Unclipped, checked the wheel, no puncture but couldn't even spin it by hand.

Another cyclist stopped to see if I needed a hand. He had a look and couldn't figure it out either.

Walked to the nearest bike shop (McCormacks Cycles) and feeling a bit :o because I'd no money with me, I asked if they'd have a look. The fella there spent a few minutes taking things apart and put it back together for me. I started up again and after a few revolutions it seized up again.

I decided to walk and ring someone to come collect me. I had walked passed another cycle shop (The Bike Institute) and I hear a fella shout to me, asking what was wrong. I went back and showed him. He brought the bike inside and started taking the wheel off. Told him again I'd no money, he said he didn't want any. He'd be happy to do a good deed.

He (Sean) spent 20 minutes or so on the wheel, said he'd fix it up to get it home and to get it back to my LBS as the wheel was only a month or so old.

He got it going for me and about 250 meters from my house it went again. I was happy just to get home.

It's good to see there's some decent people out there, happy just to help out someone in trouble. A big thank you to both shops. I promised them I'd return and fix up with them and I will keep that promise, once I get my bike sorted!

Go back and buy some gear there sometime as a thankyou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

second the gear buying thing.

that was very sound of the lads in the bikes shops.

i tend to buy all my tubes and tyres at the lbs. i am lucky enough to be able to afford the 60 cent difference between my lbs and wiggle for my tube of choice. he is cheaper than wiggle for my tyres :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

105 Km, Cork-Clonakilty-Kinsale and back to Cork, lumpy enough to make it hurt but the sun shone:eek: and it was dry, just over 4 hours so that was handy enough,nice to see plenty of guys out. Might get another 50 or 60 in tomorrow. Wind please go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Went out for a gentle 30k just to warm up the legs a bit for tomorrows audax. Ended up getting PRs on both Tara and Skryne, my fitness must have really come on in the past couple of months as I definitely wasn't pushing it and wasn't expecting that result. Took 48 seconds off my previous best on Tara and I remember flogging myself up it several times over the past 2 years since I started! Keeping the weight down has obviously helped a lot. Well either that or my garmin is fecked! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hill repeats on Cruagh, followed by the Devil's Elbow, then the full Wall. Then tried to race an Usher rider out of Enniskerry and failed miserably. Tired, tired legs. Nice chap though, talked my ear off back to Lamb's Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Finally got my son out for his first ever spin. 30km on Cappagh Road. no problem to him.Bloody cold though.
    253389_649628795053901_750075988_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Brought the bike home this weekend. Went Ennis to Crusheen and back. Came through the town as a forehand around the bypass. Legs went on the bypass so struggled the last 2k.

On the way back around by Bakersfield switched from the radio to music on phone. Fatboy Slims right here right now came on, followed by Storm time to burn. Two great tunes to pick up the pace :).

Beat the strava Times by a a nice bit too. :D

bcmf wrote: »
    Finally got my son out for his first ever spin. 30km on Cappagh Road. no problem to him.Bloody cold though.
    253389_649628795053901_750075988_n.jpg

I don't think that helmet fits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

^^^^^^
    He's 13.
    The helmet fits.
    Take it to the helmet thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Made the jump from 75km to 100km today with the club today :) kept myself fuelled properly and it was easier than expected. Only really went into the red once when we were about 15km from home and we were stepping up the pace whenever the drags came. Good day out and I came home dry for once!

Brad768 wrote: »
    Made the jump from 75km to 100km today with the club today :) kept myself fuelled properly and it was easier than expected. Only really went into the red once when we were about 15km from home and we were stepping up the pace whenever the drags came. Good day out and I came home dry for once!

What kind of average pace did u keep stepping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    What kind of average pace did u keep stepping up.

It wasn't as much as an up in pace, it was more of holding the pace we were holding on the flat. So around 30-35km/h. Strung out the group a bit so when they dropped the wheel in front of them, having to sprint past to keep up really took its toll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

New land speed record for me going down the Wicklow Gap eastward, helped by a nice tailwind.

IMG_0051.jpg

Paid for it sucking down a head/crosswind up the Glenmacnass side of the Sally Gap all the way until Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

I tried to cycle to the Hellfire Club today at around 3:00 to take a break from the studying. It just got too hot eventually and started to feel sick before I was even halfway up. A lot of it I think also had to do with the fact that I haven't cycled in nearly a month. When I was in college and busy on the bike every day a cycle like this up the Wicklow Mts and even as far as the Sugarloaf was a piece of cake.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Shorts, t-shirt, inadvertently eating small bugs and even some mild sun-burn. Summer is here! A very mellow 120k covering Rathfarnham - Sally gap - Wicklow gap - Lacken - Sallygap - Rathfarnham, followed by a few cold beers in the garden with the family. Feeling pretty tired today though, WW200 in a couple of weeks is looking like it could be a struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

I achieved my first 100Km's in Saturday, Navan to Raheny via Duleek, Bettystown, Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lush, Swords, Malahide. Average of 28 km/hr. I was rather pleased with myself for doing it. Total cycle time was 3hours 45 mins. Legs were pretty dead at the end and any sight of a rise in elevation sent them into dead zone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Feeling quite fresh and strong going over the sally gap yesterday evening until I saw a guy struggling with his head down going the other direction, and realised the wind behind me might be less helpful going home. Saw a lot of fresh, strong looking cyclists going the other as I gritted my teeth on the return trip. Some of the holes in the Military road are now beyond funny, though I'd guess they'll send a car or bus into the ditch before troubling anyone on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fengol

Went for a quick spin after work last night around Blarney. Only got about 7k into it when my left calf cramped up for a good 3-4 minutes solid. Worst I've had in a while and just couldn't put any power to the left pedal afterwards. Ended up calling it and looping back round home :(

• Advertisement

You'd think I would be over my rookie mistakes at this stage, but no, last night dinner was consumed at 6:10pm, ass landed on a saddle at 6:50pm followed by 53km with over 500m vertical. Oh how I suffered - it was noted by others that I was 'quite tonight' - thats because I was trying to keep my dinner down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement