Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Howth was perfect yesterday evening, apart from all the midges. Had a grand chat with a lad called Ken in the summit carpark, carer for the IWA. Then rolled home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Went up to top of The Featherbeds three times yesterday, twice by Stocking lane and once by Cruagh. 1290m vertical in 65.7km, average 24.4kph. My shoulders were crusty white with salt after that. Hopefully will be alright for the Mick Byrne 200 this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Quick spin to Kilcock from Maynooth before the evening closed in. Hello to the group with the tailwind that waved at me at the graveyard. It was nice to have it at my back coming home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

A nice commute in and a decent one home this evening along the cycle track out from town, really feel the last two weeks my stamina, cadence, etc is finally improving! Roll on the summer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Good spin tonight, only 50km mind you. Got a KOM in the phoenix park thats been ridden over 5500 times, happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Nice 40k tonight with a group. Navan, over Tara, around by Dunsany and Kilmessan and back. Can't believe how cold it is for 22nd May though. Red legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Holywood to Laragh and back again last night. Tailwind on the way out and the descent into Laragh was great, very few cars and just cruised down. Getting back though not so much fun, long uphill and into a strong enough wind with some pretty harsh gusts. Made for a cold enough cycle back to Holywood, all done in 2.25hours.

Felloffmebike - do you live in Navan? Were you out with a local club or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Felloffmebike - do you live in Navan? Were you out with a local club or anything?[/QUOTE]

Yes I live in Navan. Not in a club. Spin with a few friends from work a couple of times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

PB'd my 35k commute home yesterday evening (shaved 1min off - 1h10). Wind must have helped but it felt more like a side-wind than a tailwind. Oh and sunshine - the sunshine definitely helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Bloody chilly this morning when I was leaving the house, the decision to drag out the winter tights and jacket for (hopefully) one last spin before summer was the right one warmed up a little before I got home but not much.

Garmin was acting up a little so distance recorded came up a bit short but a pleasant 38km spin to set me up for the Tour De Connemara, this time tomorrow, all going according to plan, we'll be on the way west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

PB'd the route into work yesterday morning thanks to the tailwind, but then had a pig of a headwind on the way home down the old N3. Beat that PB this morning so I'm expecting another battle on the return this evening! Have gotten into the top 25% on some popular local climbs in the past couple of weeks which I'm very happy with (not all wind assisted either I swear!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I just found a fly in my earlobe, a reminder of this morning's ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Was just getting dressed for my ride when I heard rain hitting the velux window in the bedroom. Decided to ditch the shorts and opt for tights and arm warmers.
    It didn't look too windy from the house but straight away I found it hard work even on the flats and downhill parts as I was dead into wind.
    Had to stop after 8Km to put on my rain coat for a heavy shower that turned to hail! A few Km further and my hands were numb with cold (short finger gloves!!) so I wussed out and turned back for home.
    Got a PB on the last hill home as the gale force wind was now behind me, so it wasn't al bad. Pretty miserable ride though, and it took me ages to warm up in the house after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Better effort today, but the wind was still killing me. Managed 66Km - most of it seemed to be into the wind - at 27Kmh, which was a bit of a surprise as it felt slow a lot of the time.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/55992785

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

lovely commute in this morning with a tailwind. going home should be fun :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Really struggled in the wind and cold. Tights, Overshoes, winter gloves, still had cold fingers. Then hit a stone on the Glencree descent and punctured. Fitted a brand new tube only to find it had a huge hole in it:mad:. Fitted my other spare tube and cycled home very gingerly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

138.5km Dublin to Athlone. Did it about 10mins quicker than the last time I did a similar (but shorter) route. A good work out. Great weather

Went to Featherbeds by Stocking Lane today. Started feeling the midges on my face as I crested and came to the end of the good tarmac on the Military Road, but once I turned back for the descent there was a full thick crosswind of midges. Not good news a sweaty sticky cyclist at the end of a climb. Absolutely disgusting, hope it's not so bad tomorrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Some day out today. Went Rathfarnham - Sallygap - Laragh - Rathdrum - Aughrim - Slieve mann - Shay Eliot - Laragh - Sallygap and home. Narrowly missed the Ras outside Aughrim, didn't even know it was going through Wicklow today until a chat outside Laragh with a chap on his way up Shay Elliot to view it. Also passed a number of runners doing the Wicklow way race, with them running up Slieve Mann. Nearly hit a deer on the SM descent, mother crossed the road well ahead of me and the foal only decided to follow when it realised I was going to pass between it and mum. Also got whacked by a gob****e in a car brandishing a wire coat hanger on the Military road on the way home for my sins. Type of thing that would usually freak me out but having such a nice day, it didn't really bother me. I had a good look at the fool that did it though, and if I seem him again, I'll take him to one side and most likely leave him there. 142k all in at my usual pedestrian 21kph. BBQ lit, first beer consumed, and any lost calories about to be replaced with interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Finglas to Dalkey then climbed Killiney hill from the west. My second climb after howth last week but I held out. Fast coast descent but too many people/blind turn to get past 55kmph. Horrible headwind all the way out but going home was sweet. 54k in all.

255454.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

smacl wrote: »
    Some day out today. Went Rathfarnham - Sallygap - Laragh - Rathdrum - Aughrim - Slieve mann - Shay Eliot - Laragh - Sallygap and home. Narrowly missed the Ras outside Aughrim, didn't even know it was going through Wicklow today until a chat outside Laragh with a chap on his way up Shay Elliot to view it. Also passed a number of runners doing the Wicklow way race, with them running up Slieve Mann. Nearly hit a deer on the SM descent, mother crossed the road well ahead of me and the foal only decided to follow when it realised I was going to pass between it and mum. Also got whacked by a gob****e in a car brandishing a wire coat hanger on the Military road on the way home for my sins. Type of thing that would usually freak me out but having such a nice day, it didn't really bother me. I had a good look at the fool that did it though, and if I seem him again, I'll take him to one side and most likely leave him there. 142k all in at my usual pedestrian 21kph. BBQ lit, first beer consumed, and any lost calories about to be replaced with interest.

Enjoy bbq, nice ride.

A young deer is a fawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Golf del Sur to Teide visitor centre and back down the way I went up....strava says 3,100m in 95km, but realistically all of the climbing was in the first 47.5km...like nothing I've ever climbed before, no let up at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

colm_gti wrote: »
    Golf del Sur to Teide visitor centre and back down the way I went up....strava says 3,100m in 95km, but realistically all of the climbing was in the first 47.5km...like nothing I've ever climbed before, no let up at all!

Put up the strava link.

Those climbs go on forever

You came pretty close to the KOM there. Think you can go 3 mins faster?

mirv wrote: »
    You came pretty close to the KOM there. Think you can go 3 mins faster?

Haha maybe, I'll never know, shorter spin to vilaflor tomorrow before I give the rental bike back!

Gwan gwan gwan gwan, just leave for your spin an hour and a half earlier. I think you'll really piss off whoevers on the top of that list.

Gwan gwan gwan gwan, just leave for your spin an hour and a half earlier. I think you'll really piss off whoevers on the top of that list.

Haha already planning to be on the road for 7am, I've used up all my permission slips for the holiday by now, ~250km and ~7000m ascent is enough for 4 days, time to relax and enjoy the rest of the holiday now ;)

Yeah yeah, tell yourself that after you sherlock the hell out of that segment.

• Advertisement

Yeah yeah, tell yourself that after you sherlock the hell out of that segment.

Haha I don't think my legs have it in them to do that climb two days in a row!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement