Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

well done colm! i am at the very bottom of most of those segments! no let up at all is right. still some buzz when you get to the top!!

el medano - grandilla - vilaflor is a little less horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

colm_gti wrote: »
    Haha I don't think my legs have it in them to do that climb two days in a row!

Great climbing. Hired a bike in Girona few weeks back, felt more comfortable than my own on long days climbing.

Mountains near the sea, great for keeping everyone happy. Beach for the ladies, good cycling for the lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Headed for Vilaflor from Granadilla this morning, definitely the lesser of the three evils from Golf del Sur anyway!

That's me done on the bike now til Rás Dhun na nGall on Friday :) Time to start repaying herself for my absence the last few mornings!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

legs were a bit tired today from friday's 115km cycle combined with work on saturday and little sleep, so i crept up around half nine to get a few rays before work started. just did a few repeats of killiney hill and got a coffee in dun laoghaire before heading home, 25km or so. was delighted to get a few top tens on strava inc a well earned 5th on the dalkey commons segment!

oh i could do with a few followers, il follow back xxx

http://app.strava.com/activities/56326035
    http://app.strava.com/activities/56321601

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

allez wrote: »
    legs were a bit tired today from friday's 115km cycle combined with work on saturday and little sleep, so i crept up around half nine to get a few rays before work started. just did a few repeats of killiney hill and got a coffee in dun laoghaire before heading home, 25km or so. was delighted to get a few top tens on strava inc a well earned 5th on the dalkey commons segment!

oh i could do with a few followers, il follow back xxx

http://app.strava.com/activities/56326035
    http://app.strava.com/activities/56321601

Its a nice area to cycle alright. Good views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Maynooth, Dunboyne, Summerhill, Kilcock, Maynooth. Average speed of 27.8km. Plenty of people out cycling and met the Rás in Kilcock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Made my second attempt up to Cruagh Wood from Rathfarnham today.

Got my arse handed to me nicely, must have stopped at least a dozen times on the main climb. Kept it conservative on the descent down Stocking lane, confident that if I let my speed creep up over 40 I'd meet a car on the wrong side of the road.

Feathered so much that my hands cramped.

Had a nice brief chat with a fellow Cyclist who was hanging back for someone else on the way through Terenure village.

Getting up that hill without stopping is my new goal in life (I mean apart from making something of myself professionally and stuff...).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Getting up that hill without stopping is my new goal in life (I mean apart from making something of myself professionally and stuff...).

Started back into cycling about threes years ago myself, and getting up Cruagh without a break was also my goal for the first couple of months. Then the sally gap. Then the Devils Elbow. Then Kippure. Then the Wall. Then 100k non-stop. B'stard sport keeps moving the goal posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

110 KM today on the fixie at somewhere between 25 and 28 kph ( split between a dead garmin and iphone ). City Center out to Clonee and Trim , back through Summerhill and Lexlip. Thoroughly enjoyed it, sort of makes you work harder than you would have done without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kingdom Man

went from killarney - kilgarven-kenmare up molls gap and back to killarney 80km lovely day for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

Scouted out the first part of th Wicklow 200. Took the Dart to Bray, then cycled Roundwood->Laragh->Wicklow Gap -> Hollywood, and then speeded downhill all the way back to the city centre.

I thought the climb up to the Wickow Gap was manageable. Hoping that there is nothing harder (steeper) along the rest of the route.
    My average speed was pretty low -- about 18.6kph by the time I rolled into Hollywood. But there are some long flattish sections to make up time on the wya to Baltinglass and beyond.

Hoping to scout out some other parts of the route next week.

Slight improvement on the Cruagh Climb tonight.

Still stopped a couple of times, but less, was passed by someone in a red specialized jersey making it look easy.

Actually really enjoyed descending back down the same route, kept it to under 40kph but found the cornering quite nice to glide through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Did my usual loop today for the first time in a while. Legs were sore all weekend after 2 days out in the wind last week.
    Did my fastest time over the 55Km loop yet, but just failed to get in under 2 hours (2.00.11) - but I only noticed I might be able to do it 15K from home and upped my pace. Wind was still a nuisance today too...

http://app.strava.com/activities/56940982#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

70Kms around west Cork this morning, with the weather it's Gods cycling country. First time this year I had to put on sun-cream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I lost 8 KOMs since Saturday. Took out a bit of my frustration this morning.

http://app.strava.com/activities/56923659

Back up Cruagh road again today, after a day's self enforced rest and wit the psychological edge of knowing my bike was not geared for climbing.

Only stopped once for knackeredness and once for sweat induced blindness.

Good times. Feel guitly now for only doing 20km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Had to work early on saturday last(25th) and knew I wouldnt get any training in after due to champions league final and Froch fight so got up at 5:30am and headed up the dublin mountains. I did hill repeats, where its a steady climb of about 2.75 miles to viewpoint. It was amazing though. Had the place to myself, no cars, nothing just the birds singing in the trees and the cock-a doodle-do lad doing his thing. Blue skies above and not a breath of wind. At the end I had a few minutes to sit on a wall and look down at the city, the silence and sense of peace was unreal. Best training spin ever.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Took the scenic route home from work, to increase my km's in the European Cycling Challenge (ends Friday), got lost out back of Kilcock and ended up doing 62km rather than the usual 25km. But what an evening to get lost! Might turn out to have been the nicest day of the summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 30km today. First road cycle since my 105km at start of Feb before my accident. Great to be back on bike again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Five very enjoyable circuits of the Park tonight averaging about 18 mins each. No idea how that rates as I follow Rule 74 but it felt good. Beautiful evening and hopefully many more to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Did my usual cycle to work. round trip 45km.
    Heading down chuch street towards the river, car heading northwards turning right onto Marys lane decides to see if he can cross over before i arrive. Epic fail, had to pull the brakes, wet slippery road, wheels gave way, down i went for a slide along the road. Hip, elbow and shoulder took a hit. Thank god for the helmet. realised when I got into work that the screen of phone shattered. it was in my ruck sack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/320214112

planned to do a longer and slower spin today. First idea was to head to Monaghan town, but the wind was killing me so i turned off by the GAA training grounds at Cremartin. Don't know the area too well so just followed signs to Ballybay, then I knew how to get home. 83.5Km in 3hrs 10 wasn't too bad I thought, especially as I only managed 24K in the first hour..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

After being out on the bike Sunday, Monday & Tuesday, I was ready to take a break, but the sun was telling me to go again, so I went out for a great spin, 30k from Annacotty to Birdhill http://app.strava.com/activities/56964231

Broke a few PR's on the way which was really pleasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

AS there seems to be some sort of fire ball thingy in the sky i decided to go for a 10k at lunch time to relieve the stress. Got 500 meters down the road and an artic (which I had noticed from about 100 meters away) decided to pull out just as I was passing, he was turning right and took up the whole road quickly. Luckily enough there was a curb I could go up on and get out of the way. I hopped front wheel up but back wheel took an awful thump. Burst the back tire and I'd say I was lucky not to buckle it. I got off the bike and forced the lorry to stop where I proceeded to give him my colourful view on the incident and him.

Spent the rest of my lunch break changing tire.

So much for stress relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

After work spin with some nasty short climbs for the craic, got to try out my new ultegra pedals which seem quiet delicious. Feel free to follow me on strava too always nice to see other local lads and their achievements around the area :)

http://app.strava.com/activities/57150488

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

55k. Navan - Bective - Jack Quinns - Laracor X - Summerhill - Dunsany - Kilmessan and home. Lovely evening. Getting fitter. Sailing up some of the hills that killed me last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

54k in 2 hrs tonight, out the macroom road over the windy gap to coach ford dripsey and home, happy out, great evening for it though the headwind on the way out was a bit annoying. Must get out more starting to catch the bug again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Had my usual commute into work today, felt great going in thinking how great it is to be cycling in rather than in the car.

Got into work quicker than usual, tail wind helped, had a nice warm shower and was drying myself off when i realised i left me socks and jocks at home :o

Sooo was thinking maybe run up to Dunnes and buy some cheap ones, but i can't cos i'm on the feckin bike and not in the car so decided there's only one thing for it, i'll have to wear me cycling socks which thankfully were dry and go commando for the rest of the day !

Must say it felt very airy and kinda weird. Pulling up my zip was a nerve racking experience but i got through it in one piece, thank feck me work clothes were in me locker or i would have been rightly screwed :(

Done the 45k commute in 1hr 33mins by the way seen as this is a tell us about your cycle today thread and not tell us how u forgot your socks and jocks thread !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Pretty tough Lucan to Ticknock spin today, walked from the car park up because I just wasn't up for the climbs today and struggled most of the way home, hunger and fatigue were creeping up on me making the light headwind pretty tough. I did 10km or so before while running errands though so all in all got a pretty good sweat worked up. I died a little inside when three lads breezed past me on the climb up even though a 16kg hardtail from Lucan is a bit more work than a higher end bike from the car park up, but still...I'll get a new bike someday :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Had a back injury 3 weeks a go and only getting back now to normal. Did a short cycle this eve, 17km. With the new bike is much easier.. Places I'd struggle before now were a song :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement