Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

55k this evening. Letterkenny>Glenswilly>trentagh and back. Took a tad over 2 hrs as there was a strongish headwind on the way out but it died away to nothing on the return. Was a beautiful evening for it but noticed a distinct lack of cyclists on the route today as its generally a very poplar road/route.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doozer16

Guill wrote: »
    AS there seems to be some sort of fire ball thingy in the sky i decided to go for a 10k at lunch time to relieve the stress. Got 500 meters down the road and an artic (which I had noticed from about 100 meters away) decided to pull out just as I was passing, he was turning right and took up the whole road quickly. Luckily enough there was a curb I could go up on and get out of the way. I hopped front wheel up but back wheel took an awful thump. Burst the back tire and I'd say I was lucky not to buckle it. I got off the bike and forced the lorry to stop where I proceeded to give him my colourful view on the incident and him.

Spent the rest of my lunch break changing tire.

So much for stress relief.

Fair Play for f**ing him out of it, you should have memorised the reg and reported him to his employers and the cops.
    Also, good 'tekkers' to hop the curb at what sounds like high speed :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Got out for the third day in a row, which is a first for me and did 66Km to bring my 3 day total to 202Km. Wanted to do the Tour of Louth on Sunday but got other things on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

Set out through the Phoenix park, out the backroads to Summerhill, then backtracked and went through Dunsany village, close to Tara, then to Skryne and then I was in a place called Kentstown, and then I was on a very narrow stony road ....

I didn't have a map or a device with me, so basically I don't know where I went or what my route was, but I saw a signpost to Ratoath and when I got home there was 130km on the clock.
    Last long trip before the W200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Bloch wrote: »
    Set out through the Phoenix park, out the backroads to Summerhill, then backtracked and went through Dunsany village, close to Tara, then to Skryne and then I was in a place called Kentstown, and then I was on a very narrow stony road ....

I didn't have a map or a device with me, so basically I don't know where I went or what my route was, but I saw a signpost to Ratoath and when I got home there was 130km on the clock.

You were in Meath :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 hatch03

Did the Croi cycle today, 74ish miles around Lough Corrib. First time doin that kind of milage, v tired now but well satisfied, congrats to everyone who completed it. Thanks Croi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Down in Beara visiting my folks. Did a 60k loop taking in the healy pass from cork into kerry and home. Got my personal record up the pass ranking 7th on strava. Did the whole loop in under two hours averaging 31kmph. I am buzzing now, just one of those good form days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Did 27k today around rathmines, ranelagh, clonskeagh, UCD, grand canal cycle-path and the city centre.

I only learnt to ride a bike 4 weeks ago so I'm chuffed. Also loving my first cycle computer which I got yesterday, so that now I actually know how far I've gone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

2 days of it, was down around west cork yesterday. Kinsale-Timoleague-Clonakilty and back to cork 125 Km's after having the flu last week. Today a loop around cappoquin the vee twice over and back from clogheen and lismore. The vee isn't the hardest climb out there but is it the longest? 13 Km from Lismore to the top on a s++t surface which still has me aching!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CJC999 wrote: »
    55k this evening. Letterkenny>Glenswilly>trentagh and back
    I feature somewhere in the Strava segments around there. They stick in my memory because I suffered the biggest rain showers around Glenswilly I have ever experienced in this country. Only in Calcutta can I recall heavier rain!
    quozl wrote: »
    I only learnt to ride a bike 4 weeks ago
    Well done. I met a girl at work a few weeks ago who had never been on a bike. I thought it was incredible.
    The vee isn't the hardest climb out there but is it the longest? 13 Km from Lismore to the top on a s++t surface which still has me aching!!.
    I'm hoping to do it soon. I've heard it described as a "tight climb" - whatever that means! It's only an average of 2.5% from Lismore but I suppose that's a drag when it goes on for 13kms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I feature somewhere in the Strava segments around there. They stick in my memory because I suffered the biggest rain showers around Glenswilly I have ever experienced in this country. Only in Calcutta can I recall heavier rain!

....it wasn't rain..

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

tour of louth 105km in 3hrs 58....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Well done. I met a girl at work a few weeks ago who had never been on a bike. I thought it was incredible.

I'm hoping to do it soon. I've heard it described as a "tight climb" - whatever that means! It's only an average of 2.5% from Lismore but I suppose that's a drag when it goes on for 13kms.

It goes on for an eternity, the first 3 or 4 kms the surface is fine but after that you're just bouncing your way to the top. The climb from the clogheen side is excellent, a joy to cycle, and don't worry you won't be alone there's plenty of sheep to keep you company up there. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

From my spin home last week, really nice night for a cycle otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

SomeFool wrote: »

Bloody hell!

Strong username to youtube video content correlation :pac:

Seriously though what a knob, was your shifter knocked out of place by the impact?

[QUOTE=Zyzz;84901165
    Seriously though what a knob, was your shifter knocked out of place by the impact?[/QUOTE]

Only a fraction, rear disk caliper took most of the bang i think, needed new pads anyway, got some fright though!

Only a fraction, rear disk caliper took most of the bang i think, needed new pads anyway, got some fright though!

Nothing too costly then :) Fair dues sticking out the red light mind you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

68k today, out macroom road, turned left somewhere and went on into bandon and back to the city, 2hrs 38 with 715m of gain average 26kph. Happy enough.

Yesterday was 62km, cork-inishannon-kinsale-halfway-cork in 2hrs 15 and 470m of gain. Getting to like this bike malarky again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

67k starting Navan on to Kells - Athboy - Kildalkey - Trim - Dunderry - Robinstown and home. Suffered every km though for some reason. Nothing felt right at any stage. No energy, legs dead, bike felt as sluggish as I did, slipping a gear. Met a freezing cold shower just coming into Trim. And then discovered I had knocked off the GPS by accident in Kildalkey. Maybe just as well. Not sure I'd want to see all the stats from that spin. Glad to be home. Shower, coffee and cheeses sandwich and I'll be grand again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Finally got out and done a 40k cycle from Limerick, out the Croom bypass, and back. Delighted with myself as its been months since I done any proper cycling.. A couple of km from home and a bus practically sideswipes me, forcing my into the curb and I came off the bike. No injuries thank god. Bike has a few scrapes. Blood was boiling after it though. Road was quiet and it just felt like complete bullying to me.

Zyzz wrote: »
    Nothing too costly then :) Fair dues sticking out the red light mind you!

Only need to break a red light when this happens :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Only need to break a red light when this happens :pac:

Dead right. Time to get out of there. I like the nonchalant whistling as you leg it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

tough oul day out! weather blew me up but its was nice, eyes are stinging from the sweaty salt on them haha. Phone went awol after shay elliot but i tackled slieve mann for the first time this year too, so we can add some more time and more elevation to my strava reading. also spotted a boards jersey at the summit of glenmacnass waterfall, hello to you :)

http://app.strava.com/activities/57950526

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Thanks for the company on the way back after Glenmacnass today allez!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

no problem phil :) was good to have someone pace me up the expanse of baron heatherland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

85km today on bike at an avg speed of 29.5km/h. Great day for a cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Two highlights of yesterday's spin around Wicklow were listening to the Cuckoo going up Sleive Maan and the reaction of the chap I passed on Shay Elliot (and he must have been suffering if I passed him), his counter attack was Contadoresque:eek:, fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Did 22km from ranelagh canal up to stepaside village and back today. Averaged 17km/h on the way up, and 19.5 km/h for the round-trip.

Have to caveat this again that I rode a bike for the first time 4 1/2 weeks ago or else these speeds/distances are too shameful compared to everybody elses!

Really enjoyed the hill up from dundrum to stepaside - I used to love running up that hill but always HATED running back down again as I'm an injury prone runner and down-hill running on concrete is asking for trouble. It's a pleasure to come down it on a bike :) I hit 44km/h on the way back, fastest I've done and could have easily gone a lot faster but decided quick smart to slow down when I saw I was doing that speed!

Had an amusing newbie cycling moment on the way out. I'm trying to keep a cadence of around 90-95 rpm and comfortable effort but at a couple of points on the way up the hill to stepaside I ran out of lower gears so I had to drop down to about 70rpm and hard effort - figured this was the price of having a hybrid bike. Turns out I'm just dumb! I only use the easier of the front two chain-rings as that's enough to be learning about for the moment but I was messing about with the harder chain-ring earlier and forgot to swap back down.

So I did the entire return trip to Step-aside on the harder chain-ring. No wonder I ran out of easier gears on the way up that hill :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Went out from town by the Strawberry Beds to Clonee , Sumerhill, Trim and back on the fixie, 98 km, switched the tracks pedals for SPD SLs for a smoother ride. Co-ordinating a hill start at the sandpit traffic lights with clipless pedals on a fixed 48/16 was almost embarrassing but managed to blag it.:) Lovely day through the back roads of Meath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement