Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

ror_74 wrote: »
    Went out from town by the Strawberry Beds to Clonee , Sumerhill, Trim and back on the fixie, 98 km, switched the tracks pedals for SPD SLs for a smoother ride. Co-ordinating a hill start at the sandpit traffic lights with clipless pedals on a fixed 48/16 was almost embarrassing but managed to blag it.:) Lovely day through the back roads of Meath.

Was that by any chance silver bianchi Pista ?

• Administrators Posts: 54,086 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

quozl wrote: »
    Did 22km from ranelagh canal up to stepaside village and back today. Averaged 17km/h on the way up, and 19.5 km/h for the round-trip.

Have to caveat this again that I rode a bike for the first time 4 1/2 weeks ago or else these speeds/distances are too shameful compared to everybody elses!

Really enjoyed the hill up from dundrum to stepaside - I used to love running up that hill but always HATED running back down again as I'm an injury prone runner and down-hill running on concrete is asking for trouble. It's a pleasure to come down it on a bike :) I hit 44km/h on the way back, fastest I've done and could have easily gone a lot faster but decided quick smart to slow down when I saw I was doing that speed!

Had an amusing newbie cycling moment on the way out. I'm trying to keep a cadence of around 90-95 rpm and comfortable effort but at a couple of points on the way up the hill to stepaside I ran out of lower gears so I had to drop down to about 70rpm and hard effort - figured this was the price of having a hybrid bike. Turns out I'm just dumb! I only use the easier of the front two chain-rings as that's enough to be learning about for the moment but I was messing about with the harder chain-ring earlier and forgot to swap back down.

So I did the entire return trip to Step-aside on the harder chain-ring. No wonder I ran out of easier gears on the way up that hill :)

Nice one :)

You'll find yourself upping the distances really quick. You could easily be doing 100km+ this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

twinsen wrote: »
    Was that by any chance silver bianchi Pista ?

Was indeed - did you see my delicate manoeuvring?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lovely spin yesterday up from south Wexford back to Dublin, sticking to a winding route of l-roads and r-roads. Ramsgrange, Adamstown, Kiltealy, Bunclody, Clonegal, Shilelagh, Tinehely, Aughrim, Macreddin, Greenan, Laragh, Glanmacnass and home. Nice chat with Namelessphil in the cafe in Laragh, and fantastic weather all the way. Not sure of the total distance, as my ageing GPS seems to have it in for my cateye wireless, ~ 182k according to the planned route, slightly over 8 hours door to door. Nice to be mostlly following the contours for a change rather than crossing them, though the road out of Macreddin has some lumps in it. Amazing how many different routes you can take to get from A to B on a bike in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Amazing how many different routes you can take to get from A to B on a bike in this country.[/quote]

That's true.

Live near Carriagline but Im from west waterford. Cycling between the two involves going East or West of knockmealdowns or crossing them. Thete are four mountain passes.

I done it 7 times this year so far, route number 5 is next on list

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,086 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

58km yesterday in the sun.

Dundrum - Booterstown - Sandymount - Clontarf - Howth and back again. All along the coast.

Went up the sutton side of howth, up to the car park at the top and sat there for a while and then down into the village for lunch.

Didn't realise at the time but got sunburnt. My arms are pretty much lobsterish, except for my hands cause of the gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

ror_74 wrote: »
    Was indeed - did you see my delicate manoeuvring?
    I was finishing my climb on Knockmaroon Hill, when I saw you going another direction on this bike. Got my attention as Pista's are quite rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

twinsen wrote: »
    I was finishing my climb on Knockmaroon Hill, when I saw you going another direction on this bike. Got my attention as Pista's are quite rare.

Ah..well spotted. Must have been crossing towards the Strawberry Beds from the park as you came over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Not long in from a spin, Sallins Johnstown Blessington Ballymore Eustace and back via Naas. Lovely evening for a cycle, stopped by the lake and the Liffey in B'More.

I'm really beginning to favor that side of the county now that I'm doing longer distances (50K).The other side to be honest can be pretty dull, plus I'm find that the roads have less traffic in the early evening.

Hope to extend the route to around the other side of the lake in the next week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Lovely evening for a recovery spin after the Tour of Louth and to loosen up the legs for the TT tomorrow night. Managed to get a KOM which was a bonus.
    Then nearly got wiped out by a car that just swanned across the junction at the Three rock pub. Poor lady in the passenger seat,the look on her face,she thought I was about to come through her window. Nice flat spot on my tyre now.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Great spin tonight. Short, just 34k, and with a mixed group for the first 10k. Trim - Summerhill - Agher - Rathmolyon - Trim. A fast route but with a couple of nice hills and a mad lash for the last 5k into Trim. Stevie K was first wheel over the line but marshalls are studying footage of alleged drafting behind a big milk lorry for 2k near the end....! A great spin and a good laugh. Can't beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Neaaaaarly cracked 100km today, but limped home thoroughly knackered with a paltry 95 done.

Started going up teh road to Cruagh wood then went down Kilakee road but having decided that I wasn't suffering enough for whatever it is I did in my past lives I turned back around and climbed upt to Sally Gap then down into Laragh and took the easier route home, heading towards Bray before turning back towards Enniskerry and gasping my way into Dundrum.

Great fun up until Laragh at which time I apparently ran out of not suffering, and had lots of suffering instead.

Also, I'm really getting tired of climbing on my 39-25 and seeing people amble past me on their normal groupsets...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also, I'm really getting tired of climbing on my 39-25 and seeing people amble past me on their normal groupsets...

39-25 is no fun on those hills unless you're built like a whippet, done it a few times when my old FD was on the way out and I was stuck in a 42 middle ring. I'd definitely get a larger cassette, and a compact as well if funds allow. Too many hills in big gears and you're liable to banjax your knees in the long term.

smacl wrote: »
    39-25 is no fun on those hills unless you're built like a whippet, done it a few times when my old FD was on the way out and I was stuck in a 42 middle ring. I'd definitely get a larger cassette, and a compact as well if funds allow. Too many hills in big gears and you're liable to banjax your knees in the long term.

Yeah I'd like to change the rear cassette at least. A downgrade to 10spd tiagra wouldn't hurt. Any idea how much it should cost? And who won;t try to badger me into a total drive-train change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

smacl wrote: »

My smallest is 42-28 and I could do with a few more gears occasionally when the hills get hilly.

Broke the 30km/h average today on my own over 45km. Pleased with myself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Decided to detour around Howth hill this evening on the way home, a beautiful evening out there, pity about the head wind but still can't complain, making the best of the weather since its back to rain next week I believe :(
    Saw all the Clontarf crew later on outside their coffee stop at Il Panorama and then heading back up over the Summit afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Went out this eve.
    Did a total of 45k from home to Kildare and back in less than 2 hours. 23.8 average speed with a very strong headwind on the way to Kildare and jee I never noticed the hills are so high when going that road in a car :) On the way back with the tailback wind was much easier. A few cyclist flew past me at a very serious speed, I felt like I have stopped, hahahaha

peposhi wrote: »
    Went out this eve.
    Did a total of 45k from home to Kildare and back in less than 2 hours. 23.8 average speed with a very strong headwind on the way to Kildare and jee I never noticed the hills are so high when going that road in a car :) On the way back with the tailback wind was much easier. A few cyclist flew past me at a very serious speed, I felt like I have stopped, hahahaha

Not to worry, this is a common experience.
    I find it's easier on my ego when they blaze past never to be seen again, instead of overtaking me and then hanging around in my field of view, daring me to try and compete but then easily staying ahead of me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

First time commuting to work today, 30k spin from Killaloe into limerick to work. beautiful sunny morning, absolute pleasure to be on the bike. Avg speed of 31km/hr which included several stops at traffic lights was a nice result too. Next cycle will e the return trip at 5.30 this evening!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Did north country Dublin for the first time on Thursday and today. Thurs was a scoping mission to see what the small back roads between the N2 and M1 were like. Pleasantly surprised. Very quiet, rural and surfaces OK and great views and scenery in this weather (like the arse end of bogland just 20 mins from city). Even found a DIY airfield just north of Swords by the road. Nice hills towards Naul which I didnt reach.

257540.jpg
    257541.jpg

Today planned Naul and back via country lanes.

http://mapmyride.com/workout/297872115

Quiet again. Gets hilly past Oldtown and the hill out of Naul village stung a bit. Glad to be off N routes and busy roads. Much more relaxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

A loop around Navan never straying more than about 10k out in case the heat (and the blustery wind) got me. In the end did 56k in almost exactly 2 hrs so 28k average including a couple of minutes dealing with a mechanical. That's ok for me given that I'm not as young and fit as I used to think I was..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kingdom Man

castleisland - abbeyfeale - listowel -tralee and back to castleisland 84km's beautifull morning for it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Oldcastle, loughcrew hill heading east. On through ballinlough and left at Balally cross back to oldcastle. 39km nearly at 25km/h. So happy with that. Loughcrew was a reel leg breaker but the view at the top was so worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Got my bike today and went for a little test spin. Need some more gear though 21k -49min
    Love it.
    http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/201074930/10607425

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Cycled to and from beach on other side of Spiddal where the family were at the beach. total of 61.5 km. Longest distance done in a day, even though an hour so was spent on the beach
    (http://app.strava.com/activities/59326323)

In case anyone else got hit:-

Just other side of Spiddal on the way out, was almost pushed of the bike by a young lad in the front passenger seat of a white car. Didn't get the make, but got the reg. Told to call in to station tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

180km from morelys bridge around the beara peninsula.great day to be on a bike.great spin.wasn't up to much on the hills but descents were good.what's the best way to improve on hills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

geros29 wrote: »
    180km from morelys bridge around the beara peninsula.great day to be on a bike.great spin.wasn't up to much on the hills but descents were good.what's the best way to improve on hills?

Thats a nice cycle were you on your own where is morelys bridge btw

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Thats a nice cycle were you on your own where is morelys bridge btw

It's outside kilgarvin at turn off to coolea.did it with the club.bout 30 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Only a 37Km spin for me locally (bridgend and back, in donegal) , done this evening, weather really helps matters :) Got PB's on 3 KOM's and got 2 KOM's. Although i am the only person to do the 2 KOM's hills en-route back to my house on the back road, still counts right :D

Best avg speed for me too, just shy of 28Kph. Not bad for a 15 stone edjit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

70k early this morning, letterkenny to Glenswilly, Gartan lake, Churchill, Trentagh, kilmacrennan and back with a a few detours here and there to break the monotony of the main road. Average speed was 25kmph (some real ball breaker hills in Gartan/churchill) and ride time of just under 3 hours. Absolutely beautiful morning for it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement