Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

185km of absolute bliss around county cork.
    what else would you do on a day like today?

Work and fix the slow puncture you picked up yesterday :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Got all PBs on my ride and managed to get into the top 10 on two segments. Progress is happening. Just need to find more hills in North Kildare if I can :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Club race last night, second time out and this time I managed to hang on with the group that I was sent out with till the end. Also I beat my time from the first night I went out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Just a short spin 28.9k today in brilliant weather. Average speed 30.4km/h. It should be bit higher then that though. Got stuck in traffic on my way out and bum is still sore :D

http://app.strava.com/activities/61475233

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Delightful short spin (24k) around Clonee - Kilbride - Tyrellstown -Clonee tonight. Fabulous weather, beautiful countryside (that I never knew was there), hardly a car the whole way around - seriously, and a great way to chat with my 16 yr old son who is getting into cycling progressively more each week. Wished I had taken a camera because the light tonight was sublime. Only downside was I had my first real hayfever dose so far this year - but it couldn't put a dampener on a fine experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Got out early before work for a quick 33k this morning. went up Howth and finally got under 10 minutes from Sutton side. Might not sound like much to those of you who can do it in seven minutes but I still remember my first time going up there, it took 13 minutes and 55 seconds.

To celebrate I shall climb the hill four different ways in the next week or two as part of my ROK prep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Got lost again. Not quite as bad as last week though. Trying to make a change from my usual 40. Never loose my way in Dublin/Wicklow. Couldn't find my way out the door in Cork for some reason.

Cork city to Kinsale via, Togher road, back of the airport, Five mile bridge, Ballygarvan, Carrigaline, the delightfully named Belgooley, then back to the city on the Kinsale road. That was with a map!!

Despite all the warnings that the Kinsale road was a no-go for cyclists it was grand. No close shaves, cars gave plenty of room passing. You'd want to be used to it though. And a horrible drag back to the airport roundabout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

studiorat wrote: »
    Got lost again. Not quite as bad as last week though. Trying to make a change from my usual 40. Never loose my way in Dublin/Wicklow. Couldn't find my way out the door in Cork for some reason.

Cork city to Kinsale via, Togher road, back of the airport, Five mile bridge, Ballygarvan, Carrigaline, the delightfully named Belgooley, then back to the city on the Kinsale road. That was with a map!!

Despite all the warnings that the Kinsale road was a no-go for cyclists it was grand. No close shaves, cars gave plenty of room passing. You'd want to be used to it though. And a horrible drag back to the airport roundabout!
    Nice cycle, I know that route well, anything but flat, next time at belgooley head left to Kinsale from there plenty of spectacular scenery, the old head, kinsale bay, well worth the trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Got out early before work for a quick 33k this morning. went up Howth and finally got under 10 minutes from Sutton side. Might not sound like much to those of you who can do it in seven minutes but I still remember my first time going up there, it took 13 minutes and 55 seconds.

To celebrate I shall climb the hill four different ways in the next week or two as part of my ROK prep!
    Well done!. I've done it many times any still haven't broken the 10 min mark (although I'm within a few seconds of it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I'm on 10 mins exactly..I'm a pathetic climber mind you..and I weigh as much as a young Brian Cowen :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Passed a lot of roadkill the other day, 2 badgers within about 100 yards of each other, looked like a zebra crossing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

22K at 27.5kph which is good for me. Straight off the bike and into a 7k run then, took 40 minutes. Very hard to get into a running stride after pushing yourself on a bike. IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

149k yesterday around Wicklow - it was a commute home ~(normally 14k). But I was on a half day, still have a very understanding family who leave me to indulge in this idiocy. Had to get an icecream in Laragh as a treat for getting there in the first place. Then Wicklow Gap to Blessington on the way home to Ratoath.....did I mention that I love my family :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

T'bear - how long did Blessington to Ratoath take you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Some of us are still aiming for 14 minutes from Sutton! Going out to Howth tonight for the first time in a while having spent the last few weeks grinding up Stocking lane and Cruagh road, hoping for a bit of improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

burger1979 wrote: »
    T'bear - how long did Blessington to Ratoath take you?
    About and hour and 50 mins, it was rush hour so there was quite a bit of traffic around Lucan, also I wasn't up for much pushing on the speed front at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Some of us are still aiming for 14 minutes from Sutton! Going out to Howth tonight for the first time in a while having spent the last few weeks grinding up Stocking lane and Cruagh road, hoping for a bit of improvement.

here here, I'd be happy with that :D

Took the long way home this evening, managed to get 33k in (Max Speed, 61.6km/h, Avg Speed 27.1km/h, Cadence 91), could've been a hell of a lot better but its been a long long week, roll on the weekend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

45km around Maynooth/Dunboybe/Summerhill/Kilcock/Maynooth. Avg speed 29.7kph. Little bit annoyed I didn't break the 30kph mark but sure there is always next time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I got a Canondale Caad8 yesterday and took it for a 40km spin today in mid Kerry. Compared to my old Tornando, it was so much easier to cycle. Was really able to pump it going down hill and found long straight stretches much easier to do at a faster tempo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Got caught in heavy mist this evening in the hills but managed to break top 10 on a climb and a descent so it was a small price to pay.

• Advertisement

Beautiful evening for a spin out to Howth Last night, absolutely perfect, 13 minutes on the Hill according to Strava which I'm pretty happy with as its a major improvement on my last time and I was actually spinning rather than grinding along in my lowest gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

finally got under 10 minutes from Sutton side. Might not sound like much

I got 10:06 yesterday after work on my old peugeot and was proud for a while! At least until I uploaded gpx to strava...

The 60kmh downhill later was scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Made my best ever attempt up Cruagh on my 25-39 (aka the Uphill Anchor drag - I weigh 110kg, this is not the right ratio for me) only one stop, and that well past where I normally crack.

Trying to spare my battered knees so pulled a lot more than I pushed and as a consequence my hamstrings were on fire. Took a quick breather at Viewpoint and then back down Kilakee road where I passed a bunch of cyclists coming up, didn't really enjoy the descent today, just didn't get that nice relaxed focused feel that makes it a pleasure.

Extra negative vibes on the way back through the city thanks to traffic lights and having to repeatedly overtake the same stupid red light jumping pedal stomper five or six times until I finally got a good run to open out to 40+ and leave him decisively behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Had my best ever feeling getting home from my training spin yesterday bear in mind I got on a bike for the first time in 20 years on the 27 feb and my first time to do this spin was 23/03/2013 51.49 km time 2 h 15 min 27 sec average speed 22.8 kph
    19/04/2013 " " 1 h 44 min 51 sec average speed 29.7 kph
    18/06/2013 " " 1h 35 min 43 sec average speed 32.15 kph
    20/06/2013 " " 1h 28 min 05 sec average speed 34.91 kph
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/330678588
    The E.P.O is really gettin the job done

Had my best ever feeling getting home from my training spin yesterday bear in mind I got on a bike for the first time in 20 years on the 27 feb and my first time to do this spin was 23/03/2013 51.49 km time 2 h 15 min 27 sec average speed 22.8 kph
    19/04/2013 " " 1 h 44 min 51 sec average speed 29.7 kph
    18/06/2013 " " 1h 35 min 43 sec average speed 32.15 kph
    20/06/2013 " " 1h 28 min 05 sec average speed 34.91 kph
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/330678588
    The E.P.O is really gettin the job done

well impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Great spin today. Starting in Duleek to Julianstown - Laytown - Bettystown - Mornington - Drogheda - Donore and back to Duleek. 35k on good roads. Tailwind early and then turned into strong enough headwind from Mornington onwards. Really enjoyed it apart from missing my pedal at lights in Drogheda and cracking my shin. Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kjoanna

2r2qkjc.jpg
    My first ever spin in spd sl shoes was totally successful till I was back home and hit the ground just outside my house. Well, I need to keep my neighbours amused, right?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭notuslimited

Left the house at 7.10am this morning to get a ride in and be back to shower and then watch the Lions. Naas-the Laois county sign on the old Dublin-Cork rd-Naas. 70Kms in total. Headwind on the way out and the 35 kms took me about 1hr 40. 1 hr 15 on the return. Doing 100kms in the morning. Training for Malin to Mizen in Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

West cork 200.brutal windy.not terribly hard but was happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Great spin today. Starting in Duleek to Julianstown - Laytown - Bettystown - Mornington - Drogheda - Donore and back to Duleek. 35k on good roads. Tailwind early and then turned into strong enough headwind from Mornington onwards. Really enjoyed it apart from missing my pedal at lights in Drogheda and cracking my shin. Ouch!

I often do that route starting in Drogheda. The duleek - julienstown road is a great road to cycle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement