Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

drogdub wrote: »
    I often do that route starting in Drogheda. The duleek - julienstown road is a great road to cycle

Great surface on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Great surface on it.

Sure is. Apart from the surface there is a lovely rolling feel to it. And yesterday I had a nice tailwind to blow me along. Julianstown to Laytown is also a good road to cycle on. Be careful going under the railway bridge at Laytown. I came into it pretty fast and there were two young lads walking on the road. Didn't see them until the last second as I came around the bend. Bit of a "whey hey" moment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

http://app.strava.com/activities/62273305

Out with the Wexford Wheelers, third time ever. Now that I'm getting into my real cycling shape, I think that group cycling isn't really for me. I just find it too easy going uphill and too hard going down. In future I think I'll just go out by myself or do the time trials with the Triathlon club. Prefer going at my own pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 105km today. Hoping to fo 130km next weekend before ROK. Headwind was brutal. My bike got blown around the road a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

68k. Tough into breeze on way out. Couldn't get warm. Fast spin home, still not warm. Is this really mid-Summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

how was it yesterday, it was wet...... and windy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Late decision to go for an evening spin to clear the head after a long day at work. 43k from Navan around back roads to Trim and home via Dunderry and Robinstown. Lovely evening for it. I have a so far unidentified problem with the bike. Can't tell what's wrong with it other than something is just not right. A bit too much creaking and complaining when I pedal hard and get a bit of speed up. Something rubbing but I can't track it down. Off the bike, put it on the stand and everything seems fine. In for a service I think. Driver at lights in Trim indicated she was turning right, moved over to right side of the lane ... and then turned left. At least I know the brakes aren't the problem... I "waved" at her, she waved back and smiled. Nice to meet happy people!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice spin up the sally gap yesterday evening. Film crew at the viewing point were filming a new series for Sky; Moon fleet. Great weather out, the military road looks great at the moment covered in whit bog cotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Late spin around the bay yesterday evening - WTF was with the flies??
    Out onto the cycle path from the Kilbarrack road right the way to Clontarf I was crashing through clouds of the little buggers (pthuh pthuh). I thought they were greenfly at first but the hundred or so on my front and all down my legs and in my eyes, mouth and beard looked browner than that - some sort of sandfly maybe? Gross! I bitterly regretted not wearing my new Aldi specs, I tell ya ><

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

This morning I took my bike out of the shed, hopped on and cycled 3 metres before noticing the puncture in the rear tyre. No spare tubes, no patches, so the other 13,997 metres was by car. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Got browned off so went for a late spin. 52k in all. Stop for a quick pint 8k from home. nicest pint ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

smacl wrote: »
    Nice spin up the sally gap yesterday military road looks great at the moment covered in white bog cotton.

I went up Sally gap/ military rd last weekend and thought the same, beautiful together with the sound of Skylarks.

60k solo spin after work last night up around Meath, managed to find the bumpiest ba**ard L roads in the county :mad:
    In addition both my feet went numb after about 20k, never happened to me before, putting it down to me fitting my new saddle wronlgy - cycled the remainder 40k with no power in my feet, it was really weird.
    Frustrating how only one change to your bike set up can make a ride so uncomfortable.
    So with the uncomfortable numb feet thing and the bumpy roads, not the best cycle I ever had, but the banana and peanut butter on toast Seanah said I could have when I got home put the light back in me.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

MB Lacey wrote: »
    but the banana and peanut butter on toast Seanah said I could have when I got home put the light back in me.

:)

Thank you for this - my wife and colleagues think I am nuts (about peanut butter!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Had a bit of agro with taxi driver this morning on Beech Hill Road out in Donnybrook. Theres a really bad patch thats really hard to navigate so you really halt to cycle out about 1.5 metres to avoid it. Anyway this taxi was right on my tail breathing down my neck so as he passed by I gave a light slap on the side of his car and pulled alonside him at the lights, telling him I'd no room. He started shouting at me and got out of his car, when I went to move off (wasn't sticking around) he blocked me. I managed to get around his car and he followed me until I lost him in UCD. Scary ****. Unfortunately didn't wait around to get his reg etc.

I'm wondering though is there anyway to handle a situation where a car comes too close other than a light smack to the car as IMO and experience bells are useless. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

jaqian wrote: »
    Had a bit of agro with taxi driver this morning on Beech Hill Road out in Donnybrook. Theres a really bad patch thats really hard to navigate so you really halt to cycle out about 1.5 metres to avoid it. Anyway this taxi was right on my tail breathing down my neck so as he passed by I gave a light slap on the side of his car and pulled alonside him at the lights, telling him I'd no room. He started shouting at me and got out of his car, when I went to move off (wasn't sticking around) he blocked me. I managed to get around his car and he followed me until I lost him in UCD. Scary ****. Unfortunately didn't wait around to get his reg etc.

I'm wondering though is there anyway to handle a situation where a car comes too close other than a light smack to the car as IMO and experience bells are useless. Thanks.

scary **** indeed, a loud roar is usually the best bet in all but the closest calls I find, drivers often react disproportionately once you lay a hand on their car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Did five laps of the Phoenix Park (reverse route) today for a change of pace/scene.

Two things of note:
    1. I had way less stamina than I'd hoped (secretly I'd been telling myself I might do ten laps).
    2. Motorists are really bad at staying on their side of the road on corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

scary **** indeed, a loud roar is usually the best bet in all but the closest calls I find, drivers often react disproportionately once you lay a hand on their car.

I did that once too. I made a point to not to do it again. Would be better to get clipped !

There is an odd attachment to cars with some folks though. Same with bikes of course..but most cars are fugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

First spin with rotor q-rings today, they came on a powermeter crank I bought and decided to give them a shot before taking them off to sell them....

Well tickle me pink, they are savage! I mean, really really savage!

Pedaling along on a flat road I didn't really notice a whole lot of difference to the round chainrings, but when the going gets diagonal they make some difference! They force you into keeping your pedaling soooo smooth, and choosing the right gear instead of really grinding out too big a gear.

I know it's early days, first spin and all, but I really liked what I've seen so far...going to keep them on now for a few more weeks and see how they go...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Prepping for ROK cycle sat. week;did 105k around Glen of Aherlow this afternoon (Mitchelstown-Kilfinane-Kilmallock-Tipp Town-Galbally-Mitchelstown).Road was bumpy as f**k,some enervating drags/inclines.Attained a rather pedestrian 26kph average speed-this was my last "long" cycle before ROK;will taper for the next week or so i.e.reduced cycles of 30-60k but maintain a decent intensity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Short spin out to Howth tonight, my good bike is still getting fixed so Im on the old Halfords lump. Nice evening, typical annoying wind going out and coming back.

Managed to get this placing, which I am honestly over the moon about..considering I am a fat lump with some seriously pathetic climbing legs. I must have some sort of potential.. :o

DyN9asE.png?1

• Advertisement

Did a 53km around the Killarney area tonight at an avg speed of 28.5kph. Met alot of cycling groups and cyclists out the Cork road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »
    Managed to get this placing, which I am honestly over the moon about..considering I am a fat lump with some seriously pathetic climbing legs. I must have some sort of potential.. :o
    You're far from a fat lump and you're 44 seconds faster than me on that segment! ;)

You're far from a fat lump and you're 44 seconds faster than me on that segment! ;)

I beg to differ my friend, currently riding around with 'Caution Wide Load' signs on me arse :p :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »
    I beg to differ my friend, currently riding around with 'Caution Wide Load' signs on me arse :p :pac:
    Well you must have put on a lot since you passed me on the way up Howth a couple of months back.

Well you must have put on a lot since you passed me on the way up Howth a couple of months back.

Nothing great with regards to miles aswel as my diet being fairly crap (blame exams) and haven't really done many hills :o Plan to do a decent amount over the next month or two and have been pondering joining a club :)

Only thing I think has increased is my lactic acid threshold!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Snuck out for a short spin about 5:20am this morning, just up Cruagh to a bit past the viewing point and back home before anyone else was awake. Took a really lazy pace on the climb, just enjoying the sunrise and stopping to take a couple of pics. Fantastic descent, sheep dodging on the military road, and enjoying a nice bit of speed on an empty cruagh road. Well worth the 5am rise, and reminded why I like cycling so much. Must get in the habit of some more dawn patrols on these bright early mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Bizarre 'incident' this morning on my commute in. I came up behind a silver 4x4 in moving traffic and, although I could have, I decided not to pass him at that point as there were a lot of parked cars. I just hung just behind him on his inside but keeping in his mirror.

The guy then squirted water on his windscreen but, because they jets were badly aligned, he showered me! I thought nothing of it but he then proceeded to squirt the windows for about 300m while watching me in his mirror so it was obviously deliberate!

Some people just do the oddest things for no reason..................!!

(Apart from that it was a stunning morning for a cycle!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I was descending from Cruagh road last night and just after passing the Merry Ploughboy Pub I came past a young chap walking what looked like an old clunker of an MTB up the hill. He signaled for my attention and thinking he had a puncture or something I stopped. Instead he asked me was he far from Blessington and would it take him long to get there:eek:! I politely told him he was unlikely to get there before dark at the rate he was going and that viewing point was perhaps a better goal before heading on my way.

He had ambition anyway!

Bizarre 'incident' this morning on my commute in. I came up behind a silver 4x4 in moving traffic and, although I could have, I decided not to pass him at that point as there were a lot of parked cars. I just hung just behind him on his inside but keeping in his mirror.

The guy then squirted water on his windscreen but, because they jets were badly aligned, he showered me! I thought nothing of it but he then proceeded to squirt the windows for about 300m while watching me in his mirror so it was obviously deliberate!

A passenger in a black Toyota land cruiser fired an apple at me one day when I was cycling through Ballyvourney in Cork. I didnt see it coming either. He was lucky I didn't have something solid to fire back at him, I was that mad afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Went out for a spin earlier this evening...
    Sutton>Howth>Sutton>Malahide>Balgriffin>Coolock>Fairview>Sutton 40K

Halfway between Portmarnock & Malahide about 9.30pm lovely evening out and a
    car pulls alongside me briefly and a girl leans out the window and gives me arse a squeeze ha!
    She's lucky Im not so good on the hilly stuff yet or I'd have chased her down and overtook
    just to slow down again repeatedly :D

Me cycling buddy behind me was pissing himself laughing, gave us a giggle for
    a few k's anyways :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement