Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Are you sure it was a girl? ;)

It was me..and I'm a lad heh heh

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

53 km last evening.29.8 average.pb coming up the cork/kerry county bounds.now in 14th on that segment.something to aim at beating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Zyzz wrote: »
    Short spin out to Howth tonight, my good bike is still getting fixed so Im on the old Halfords lump. Nice evening, typical annoying wind going out and coming back.

Managed to get this placing, which I am honestly over the moon about..considering I am a fat lump with some seriously pathetic climbing legs. I must have some sort of potential.. :o

DyN9asE.png?1

What app is that, mapmyride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Usual commute. Wet road, road works, small gap, big truck, close shave. He got sense. I got to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What app is that, mapmyride?

Strava, imho by far the best cycling app / website for gps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Inquitus wrote: »
    Strava, imho by far the best cycling app / website for gps.

Cool, must give it a shot. Been using map my ride for the last few weeks and I'm not really happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Just back from a 60km Dundrum - Malahide.

As I was coming back along Sandymount I noticed my average speed was 27.2km/h. I don't recall ever breaking the 27 barrier so I was determined to do it this time. Once I hit Donnybrook Bus Garage it's all up hill and I usually drop a bit.

I made it up the hill on Sandyford Road and I was still 27.0. Just as I turned onto my road it dropped to 26.9, with about 100m to go. I was disgusted, but happy enough overall with my speed.

Downloaded that Strava app yesterday, so today was my second ride with it. Interesting to see where I stand compared to everyone else. 32nd is the best placing I've seen so far (but I haven't checked many!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Evening club spin on the new bike. Certainly gave it a good testing. Practically a race home. Averaged around 40kph for the last 20km. Constantly trying to break up the group. Was one of the most exhausting but enjoyable spins club spins I've had

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

93km prep for ROK. Sean Kelly (I think) said that if it's raining you should head out on the bike and you can decide afterwards whether it was too wet to go out. For a part today it was prob too wet ha ha.

Went up Howth hill four different ways (so some nice climbing - the guys in the Panda rubbish collection truck were laughing at me as they kept meeting me going upwards in the rain - think they thought I was nuts), with the first two and last two ascents separated by a trip out to Malahide. I'm officially calling this the the Tour de Howth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    93km prep for ROK. Sean Kelly (I think) said that if it's raining you should head out on the bike and you can decide afterwards whether it was too wet to go out. For a part today it was prob too wet ha ha.

Went up Howth hill four different ways (so some nice climbing - the guys in the Panda rubbish collection truck were laughing at me as they kept meeting me going upwards in the rain - think they thought I was nuts), with the first two and last two ascents separated by a trip out to Malahide. I'm officially calling this the the Tour de Howth!

I decided it was too wet as I was half way up stocking lane and about to enter the clouds, I had planned to go on to Glencullen but it was just too miserable out to be really enjoyable. when I got to viewing point I had 5 or 6 reasons to go straight back down and only my bullheadedness to go on so down the hill I went:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 57km today and another training session for ROK. Did it on my heavier alu road bike today and my avg speed is the same as my full carbon bike over same route which is 28.5km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 57km on my alu road bike today for ROK. Thought it might be better for training on a heavy bike for a change. My avg speed was the same as my full carbon road bike which was 28.5kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Zyzz wrote: »
    Are you sure it was a girl? ;)

It was me..and I'm a lad heh heh

Oh dahling you should have said, I've a red snooker ball in my room that'll fit your mouth nicely.
    PM me ;)

In fairness tho given the long history of women being told that this is 8 Inches
    it has by now genetically been transfered down the line from moms to daughters,
    and given that she could have actually just been tryna steal my saddle bag,
    mis-judged it and grabbed me arse instead lol :D:D

Maybe I should post a warning up in the stolen bikes thread...

Beware mobile saddle bag thief in Malahide area with bad aim!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Had set out to do 90km before work. It was tough going with the poxy wind but got 90.1km (measured to a t!) with an average speed of just over 30km/h so given the conditions I was happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I cycled out to Enniskerry and back last night - my longest cycle to date.

36.33 km in 1 hour 35 with an average speed of 22.7km/h.

I picked that route as it's the hilliest one that I can think of - probably not hilly to most of you but I really felt the up/down/up/down all the way up to dundrum, down to sandyford, up to stepaside and then down and up (and down and up) to Enniskerry

My previous longest cycle was 27k and this was the first time I really would have liked some drop-bars. My hands were getting pretty uncomfortable by the end of it and I'd have loved to have another position to put them in. Shoulder and arse were a bit unhappy too.

Have been using a friends "X Treker" to commute this week while I figure out what to do with my own Frankish commuter. its big knobbly low pressure tyres and soft springy front suspension mean it feels like cycling through treacle sometimes but boy is it comfy!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Have been using a friends "X Treker" to commute this week while I figure out what to do with my own Frankish commuter. its big knobbly low pressure tyres and soft springy front suspension mean it feels like cycling through treacle sometimes but boy is it comfy!:D

throw up a list of bits that you need - I have lots of old s/h bits at home that will be getting dumped at some stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

quozl wrote: »
    My previous longest cycle was 27k and this was the first time I really would have liked some drop-bars. My hands were getting pretty uncomfortable by the end of it and I'd have loved to have another position to put them in. Shoulder and arse were a bit unhappy too.

Fair play. A large part of discomfort is probably just your body getting used to regular cycling, and the cure is more cycling and time. Until you can get drop bars, bar ends are a cheap add on to a flat bar bike to give you one more position.

Bad news is any road out of Enniskerry has properly hilly hills. Glencree is worth a shot next time you want to extend your ride, and don't be put off by the horrendous ramp as you leave the village, it only goes on for about 50 meters.

lennymc wrote: »
    throw up a list of bits that you need - I have lots of old s/h bits at home that will be getting dumped at some stage.

Ah cheers, its just a crank/BB issue that I'm too lazy to diagnose and fix properly really.

I am doing a conversion project on an old Dawes Road bike that needs a brand new pair of everything so I might take some bits off you if the offer stands?

smacl wrote: »
    Fair play. A large part of discomfort is probably just your body getting used to regular cycling, and the cure is more cycling and time. Until you can get drop bars, bar ends are a cheap add on to a flat bar bike to give you one more position.

Bad news is any road out of Enniskerry has properly hilly hills. Glencree is worth a shot next time you want to extend your ride, and don't be put off by the horrendous ramp as you leave the village, it only goes on for about 50 meters.

+1 its actually worse coming down that than going up it!

• Advertisement

+1 its actually worse coming down that than going up it!

LOL, that doesn't fill me with confidence! At least going up I'll only feel like I might die :)

LOL, that doesn't fill me with confidence! At least going up I'll only feel like I might die :)

Well my life flashes before my eyes sometimes when I reach the very last bit into Enniskerry from Glencree!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It's an utter waste of hard earned elevation, imho. If you go a bit past Glencree, hang a right on the Military road, you've another short climb to the featherbeds, followed by a fantastic descent on well paved roads to the viewing point (&ice cream van), and then either straight on down Stocking lane, or right for Cruagh road, either of which are also lovely descents leaving you at Ballyboden roundabout. Yet another nice descent down Willbrook to Rathfarnham and a short hop over to Dundrum.

If you do decide to come back down from Glencree, beware of the left marked GlenCullen, as this takes you up the Devils elbow to Johnnie Foxes, which is about as steep as roads get in this vicinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Speaking of.. that left in Stepaside ( at the centra ) to Glencullen is pretty steep. Had never gone that way before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Chain decided to come off and wrap around my toes here. Destroyed my off ramp speed boost and left me coasting between merging cars and main traffic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Wasn't really planning on going out after yesterdays club spin. But went for it anyway, managed to average 28.7kph. That's about 2kph faster on the new bike than normally. New bike excitement or actual advantage? Time will tell ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Full Wicklow Peaks in just under 5 hrs rolling. Greatly helped by an offer of a high speed tow somewhere after Dunlavin. Gratefully accepted. Got in before the heavy rain and the wind on Slievemaan wasn't nearly as bad as expected. Really well organised by Naas CC but that's no surprise.

Visited a relative of my wife's in Greystones, so stuck the bike on the rack and cycled from Greystones to Dalkey for more in-law visiting.

Great except I don't really know that part of the world and went via Killiney hill. F me! I was going uphill at about 12kph on a road with no room for cars to overtake me. Popular I'm sure :-)

Spent most of the following downhill on the brakes - steep (to me anyway) descent on a ****ty road with speed bumps and pot holes.

I should have gone the coast road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

took a spin from blackrock up jenkinstown hill and up to the rte mast on annaverna. enjoyable assent but a real sphincter clincher
    of a decent!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

This is a bit different to the rest of your cycles. I got it into my head last year to cycle around my house in the country. I never stuck with it as I got bored going up and down the same road. I moved into Cork City at the beginning of last month. Last night a friend helped me bring my bike up to my new place. I rang the guards today asking them if they have a database of frame numbers and bike descriptions in case they're stolen and turn up somewhere. They said they don't but they put me through to the property section and the Garda their said he'd take the details anyway if I wanted to post them in, that he has his own records with a few bikes on them.

This was the perfect opportunity to go for a cycle. Now it's only 2km from where I am to Anglesea Garda Station and 2km back. The way down was fantastic, free wheeling the whole way more or less and then just flat roads in the little bit of town. The way back was a killer. Roads that I never thought were one way (I don't drive) and roads that are steep to walk let alone cycle. It was so much better than walking into town though, I don't feel like I'm pootling along wasting time. And it was much better than cycling at home as the feeling of actually having a destination is great.

I'm going back into town to meet a friend later and I'll be cycling down again. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement