Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Woke yesterday morning at 7:50am to meet my mate, my dad and my dad's mate for about 80KM around North Dublin.

Text the lads to make sure they were awake and got out the door on time.

On to the bike and the chain snaps on the first pedal rotation.

I had been peddling backwards to adjust my cadence sensor and something must have snagged.

I retired to the couch to catch up on Saturday's TDF coverage, which led nicely into Sunday's live coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

I cycled from Drumcondra to Grand canal dock,then along the canal to Camden street.
    Bought myself a lock for the bike,then poped across town back to Drumcondra.
    Wasnt a bad day for a spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Did my first ever cycle today on my new road bike (apart from all the spins in my childhood). Managed 40km on the Greenway so very happy with that, even if there is very little hills or elevation. Hopefully first of many!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

was going to take a day off after my longest cycle (79km) yesterday but weather was so nice (not raining) that it seemed criminal to let it go to waste. So did another 30km ride around Mallow.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/64082310

Was glad to wear cycling glasses with all the flies. And also so glad that I had my mouth open most of the time otherwise I'd be so hungry right now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Very handy 25km today. North Cork spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Did the big dragon sportive on Sunday. 135KM, 1800m climbing in just under 5 hrs.

Got chatting to someone who used to live up the road from me and took it handy until the food stop.

Picked up the pace after that and drifted between various groups. Got a 8th and 9th placing on strava but probably have dropped down by now.

A dog ran out in the middle of a group of four of us near the start of the decent of mount leinster. Nearly had a pile up. One of the lads got nipped on the leg.

Will hopefully do it again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭ChainWhip

Had last Friday off for a wedding on Saturday so decided to work up a thirst and roll across to Cavan.

Headed out through Finglas, Tyrellstown, and jumped on the R145 all the way through Trim, Athboy, Oldcastle, Mount Nugent and out to the hotel on lovely Lough Sheehin.

95km door to door in 4 hours so happy with that, especially given the pebbledash roads on some stretches.

Drizzly, windy and not to pleasant but no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear!

Y956TItEc3YiSQtQcpHg6I5MfoVw6LxZ6xePL6MSpDs=w411-h548-no

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Starting to really enjoy the early morning as a time to cycle. 6:30am around hook head and Saltmills on Saturday and Sunday, and 5:30am up the Military road this morning. More rabbits, squirrels etc.. than a 60s Disney movie, and something slightly illicit about sneaking back in with everyone else still asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

First KOM ever, commuting to work! :-) Getting angry with missus just before leaving can give you a few extra watts it seems :-D

http://app.strava.com/activities/64185070#1217155791

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm currently bike computer-less, so I've been using Google Maps to calculate my distance after spins. Went out today and I just mapped it there, 99.3 km. So close, I thought, what if I added in that cul-de-sac I went down to take a "break"... 99.9 km...

AIbEiAIAAABECI71y-bnwqLuugEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKig1ZmVmNmU1YWUzZDUzOTc3NjEzNWJhOTllZTI1MDMwZTI5YTJhOTNjMAGhWZ-CN9eNj0jlAqErkqsLpcnhqg

Fairly uneventful spin. It stayed dry, it was warm enough, no major hills, and the wind didn't kick my ass at any stage.

One thing that does stick out; I was on R154 out of Trim on the return leg, I momentarily looked down at the road for some reason, and when I looked back up, there was the front of a big black SUV-type vehicle about 1m from me. Turns out the driver felt that it was the perfect time to overtake the truck in front of them, even though there was a continuous white line, and a cyclist coming towards them.

Not the first time it's happened to me on that section of road (between the turn for Dunsany and the Dunshaughlin roundabout), though the last time I had a chance to wave sarcastically at the approaching car (NI reg, he flipped me off). The lack of hard shoulder makes it worse as there isn't really anywhere to escape to. Brown shorts moment :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Totally dead legs today right from the off, been 2 weeks since I was on the bike and it showed still pushed on up a bugger of a climb, had to stop near the top (the steepest bit ) when my phone rang and fell over like a bag of spuds :o. Serious bit of climbing (for me anyway)

Then had to stop at a relatives for ages 5km from the end then because I had nothing left and needed a choc boost, I forgot to bring anything!

Great cycle but was too ambitious saying how little I'd done and my energy levels!

http://app.strava.com/activities/64452467

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

alkos wrote: »
    First KOM ever, commuting to work! :-) Getting angry with missus just before leaving can give you a few extra watts it seems :-D

http://app.strava.com/activities/64185070#1217155791

Any chance of a loan of your missus

37km this evening through some tough hills. ROK here i come.

Did handy 60km today round Mallow just now. Not a drop of rain so other words brilliant day for it.

No problems with traffic to report. There was few dogs alright and one little dog even bit on the shoe. I really meant it was tiny, person with eyesight problem might mistake it to the barking cat, but still.

So dog owners please close your gates to keep your dogs in. Unless you want them to be ran over something heavier the bicycle.

Any chance of a loan of your missus

Any will do I guess, just start the day with conversation about house duties vs. the time you spend with yer bike ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

110Km spin out through Dundalk and up Jenkinstown, Carlingford and back to Carrick. All was grand for first 35k until I got a flat just before Jenkinstown. Took an age to change the tube and get the wheel running properly for some reason. The hill at Jenkinstown seemed shorter than last time I was up it, but no less tiring.
    Hit a headwind at the right turn for Dundalk and fought it all the way home, which hurt. Stopped at a garage in Dundalk for more drinks and forgot to switch my Garmin back on. Only noticed as it started to auto power off, so my 110 recorded should probably be nearer 115, but hey.
    Longest ride I've ever done so I'm happy with that. My legs might have a different opinion though.
    Also managed to lose my glasses as they were tucked into my helmet. Time to shop for new ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Took the new Tiagra compact and 28t cassette out for a test spin up the gap and back via Cruagh wood today.

Was finally going to make that non stop to the top up Cruagh road to the viewpoint, then an adorable little puppy came out to chase me and started prancing around in front of motorists who as you know have trouble seeing due to ipads and burgers in their faces.

With much regret, I stopped and walked down what turned out to be a texan length driveway to inform the owners that their beloved pet was dancing with death. (They were gracious and didn't take it as a complaint).

So took off back up the 300m driveway, got back on the bike, got to experience the new sensation of passing other people on the way to the viewpoint.

Kept going up over featherbeds, on to the view point at the Gap, waited for a mini traffic jam to clear while I ate my banana.

Nearly crashed coming back down from the viewpoint as I managed to be sitting on the hoods while braking too hard and unclipping my driveside foot.

Disaster averted I chugged on back the way I had come, discovered to my dismay that the derailleur was rubbing again and the chain kept slipping out of the biggest cog on my cassette (does a chain expand when warm?).

At the end of all that joyful climbing I landing right plonk in the middle of a f***ing tractor rally! Another chap ahead of me took his chances and overtook the lot of them. I having grown up around tractors took the more cautious route of staying put and grimacing.

Once I got clear of them it was all plain sailing bar having descended Kilakee road and stocking lane with Strava paused :(

On a side note, Moootorists seem to disapprove of my freddish hairy legs as they were all trying to shave them today.

PS: What is the point of a tractor rally?

Dublin - Naas - Clane - Celbridge - Dublin, 77km in 2:32 rolling time. Surprisingly not too wrecked, but legs hurt like they never did before 8-o

First time with Edge 800 + HR, got lost initially but managed to get on the course at the end ;-)

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1474063

It seems I've been in HR zone 3 for 1:43 and zone 4 for 0:46. Does it seems right or was I overdoing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've done 4 seperate spins today totalling 120km, which is a record for me.
    Spin 1 home from work @ 3am 11 Km
    Spin 2 round trip to airport 22 Km
    Spin 3 76km spin, getting a bit lost and 30degree heat here in Zurich.
    Spin 4 back into work for nights. 11km

Legs don't feel too bad but my @ss has felt better and I got a bit is sunburn on my arms or tan line work as I'm calling it

Did 43k this evening. Feeling was a bit off today. Did adjust my gears before going out and never got them right so every little noise coming from cassette drove me mad. It also might have been the heat but more then likely it was my own laziness behind it all.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/65694431

Very nice evening though. Not a man for sunsets but what a glorious view.
    2013-07-08%252021.34.15.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Did 28.7k in an hour which is a huge speed for me. Set PRs on two segments too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Set off early 7ish to avoid the cruel heat so travelled through Douglas-Carrigaline-Belgooley-Kinsale-Inishannon and back to Cork. 75Km in under 3 hours and just the job to get the RoK out of my legs.

Did 42km on a fab evening. My strava didnt work though to record my ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

Went out with some workmates at lunchtime in searing heat for a spin..all was going well until i hit a cats eye on a downhill section and punchered both tyres...disaster but had 1 spare tube and got another off one of the lads so got back to work albeit a little behind time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

41km on a blissful evening. Set off barely an air, went out my planned route only to come across my a TT for a local club, I went along for 4KM but fearing I was getting in the way turned so I wouldn't be annoying them.

Route change in mind tipping along nicely 1hr 3 mins in after averaging 28.5 KPH got violently sick after coming across a farmer spreading slurry and it caught me by surprise right at the back of the throat :o

Got sick again 5 km later then gave up after another few KM after being sick again and had to call a broom wagon :mad: A great spin out ended very badly!

http://app.strava.com/activities/65926821
    http://app.strava.com/activities/65926809

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I did a proper cycle today. After my 9km yesterday I felt up for a bigger spin. Only the second time I've done this serious cycling business. I did 15.6km in total. Went from the Lough down to the Western Road and back via this route (I've got the hide your address thing on.) http://www.strava.com/activities/65913254

Some of the little biteens of hills had me going so slow I couldn't believe it. I was to have not gotten off and pushed. I was quite pleased with my journey down the Lee Fields and out the straight road. I felt like I was pushing on at a healthy speed for my legs, lungs and bike. I did stop for about 20/25 minutes to visit someone. After ten minutes of chatting and some water I wanted to get back out but didn't want to be impolite.

Going from tea break to my place though was much faster than I would have thought. Realistically it's not that long and I know plenty of people who regularly walk it, but the fact that I was back home before I really had time to think was quite surprising.

Overall I'm pretty pleased if a little sunburned (I did use lots of suncream.) I am shocked by the segment times in Strava though. I know I'm slow but some people are going a phenomenal pace up those hills. And they have heart rates to go with it so it doesn't seem faked which I would have thought looking at the speed.

Edit: I did the whole thing in 50 minutes, and I think the GPS accounted for time I was stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MrJetlag

Cycling home from City Center and was climbing at Cat and Cage where road narrows. Had to go to high cadence as there was a bus in the cycle lane so I was edging along beside the bus when..........some 16/17 year old Spanish fella with his mates thought it would be funny to jump out on the road right in front of me and put his hand in my face nearly causing me to crash.
    He didn't think it was a good idea when I dropped the bike onto the path and started marching at him to kick his ass.
    He sh*t himself and got very apologetic before i got back on the bike and went on my way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Did 64kms yesterday.

Went up Cruagh Road non stop to the top for teh first time ever, passed a guy beasting himself up it on the same sort of gear ratio I had to use until recently. Commiserated with him.

Went up to the featherbeds, that first bit of not very steep climb was a lot worse in the heat and the eventual descent was on a road surface sponsored by the Carbon forks lobby; I found myself having to move my hands onto the hoods or even just the ends of the drops whenever it leveled out a bit in order to restore blood flow.

Knackered climbing to the carpark at the gap, and some guy puffed past right when I stopped, after about a minute's break I was back moving and huffing up the rest of the hill, some uber fit looking young two knee'd person in white club gear sailed past me and disappeared over the horizon at this point.

From the crossroads I descended towards Manor Kilbride for a change, that is an intimidating descent because of how open and flat everything is, hit 54kph a few times but mostly due to nervousness I bled a lot of speed off, encountered some sheep coiled to pounce into my path on the first bridge and let out a warning growl. It was all pretty boring after that.

Stopped at a friend's house for coffee then took off back on the N81 towards Dublin, some wanker in a 40ft ran me off the road outside Brittas. Plain sailing all the way home after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Some cyclists are a-holes. One was constantly cycling in the middle of the lane, and when I was about to overtake, he mover closer to the middle of the road (without any reason, there was nothing on the road surface to cause that) and he pushed me into the opposite direction. And I was on the bike, not in the car.
    No wonder drivers are giving out about cyclists!
    And yes, I do both drive a car and ride a bike. And I see plenty of stupid and dangerous things from both kinds of users of the roads.
    Both cyclists and drivers should follow and obey the rules - the only way to coexist.
    Anyway, it was lovely evening spin to Sally Gap and back. 68km, under three hours, no punctures, two bottles of drink. What else I could wish for? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

awe such an evening for a spin! went out to howth the amount of cyclists out was great to see too especially for a Wednesday evening. if anyone saw a mad lad out in a movistar jersey on a dolan with blue tyres that was me! hi :) oh give us a follow too il follow back!

http://app.strava.com/activities/66162554

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement