Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Went out this evening and did 53km. My chain fell off twice. Hitting 1000km on my new bike now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Lovely 95k this morning starting in Navan and going by Bective-Trim-Moynalvey-Kilcloone-Carton House-Dunboyne-Ratoath-Skryne-Hill of Tara-Home. Warm though. Plenty of water stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Absolutely scorching today. Did 90 or so km from Dundrum down to Ashford up Devil's Glen and home by Roundwood. Not my longest spin by any means but one of the most draining due to weather. I'm not sure I'd ever ridden in weather as hot as that before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

193km with an average temp of 28 degrees!

Dublin, Kilbeggan, Clara, Shannonbridge, Ballinasloe, Athlone at an average of 30.1kn. For me thats an epic epic cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Really enjoyable cycle this morning out to Trim from Sallins.

Very nice countryside from Kilcock towards Trim, loads of cyclists on the road including a very big grupetto (not sure if thats the correct term) near Sumerhill, very tempted to tag along.
    mmh, it may be time to join a club.

The time in the saddle recently has begun to pay dividends (ROK last week) the legs felt very strong, I averaged 28KM/h which is nippy for a hybrid. I only had the one bidon and No cash on me, I had to refill the bidon at a horse trough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was up around Three Rock and Two Rock today in the sun, hiking with frie- oh wait, wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I did a 40k spin up towards Sallygap yesterday, beautiful day for it.
    Really enjoying the new bike so far, although I think I need to get a new saddle for the bike, the one that came with it is a awfully strange shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 t.m

Did a 40km spin around Howth Hill on Saturday evening. Got 50km yesterday around NCD.

What was epic about these cycles is that I managed to get out of the house and leave me dearly beloved with the 3 little people.

My aim yesterday was to get some hill training in, my climbing is poor at the best of times. I was heading up Naul Hill, thought I was doing reasonably ok. Then a cyclist in what looked to be Garmin kit shot past me shouting something like "Lovely evening for it!", easily doing 20km/h+...

I just put my head down, muttering to myself, "small steps, smalls steps..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

t.m wrote: »
    Then a cyclist in what looked to be Garmin kit shot past me shouting something like "Lovely evening for it!", easily doing 20km/h+...

I just put my head down, muttering to myself, "small steps, smalls steps..."

Don't you hate the smugness of it all ! What you don't know is that person saw you a few mins earlier, ate 5 gels, a few fig rolls, some rocket fuel and in a few more kms they will be sitting on some side road out of sight, completely knackered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

godtabh wrote: »
    193km with an average temp of 28 degrees!

Dublin, Kilbeggan, Clara, Shannonbridge, Ballinasloe, Athlone at an average of 30.1kn. For me thats an epic epic cycle

That's a pretty epic cycle for most of us!

Just back from a week in Kerry where I got cycling most mornings. About 310k over 5 spins, including some epic scenery. Favourite day was probable Parknasilla, Blackwater bridge, Ballaghbeama, Glencar, Ballighasheen, Waterville, Caherdaniel, Derrynane (abandon bike at this point, Atlantic ocean. Ballaghbeama from Sneem is heavy going in the mid day sun, but the resurfaced descent into Glencar is superb. Tiny backroad up to Molls gap also rocked, but chickened out of a planned go at the Priest's leap. Couple of pics here

Oh, and I met this year's Ivereagh entry for my lovely horse ;)

262607.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Overtook a young lad on a sulky last night near Blanchardstown. Will see what tonight brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

1st pair of clips seem to have made difference. 44k and 30.9km/h average. I think I was slowed town by traffic coming back to town. 3 red lights so had to unclip and getting them clipped again takes a bit of time. Nice bit of it was uphill and cat3 in there as well. My toes were cramping up after but I think that cleats need to be adjusted.
    Overall well pleased with my ride!

http://app.strava.com/activities/67267387

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

got over 300 k in the last ten days which is good for me. What glorious glorious weather.

did a nice little 25 ker tonight at over 31 kph. Onwards and upwards. Ive registered for the tour of Waterford in August. need to get realistically 3 or 4 kilos down in the next 5 or so weeks to survive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Managed to crack the 27km/h barrier for the first time this evening. 27.1 over a 60km cycle.

I'm happy with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://app.strava.com/activities/68349455
    A lot of new ground covered today, everything from about 8km to the last 2km.

1st half was great, fantastic roads, beautiful scenery, very quiet and some challenging hills but the second half was crap especially the Waitara/ Lincoln rd, just one of those horrible up/down boring roads.

Still a good day, no wind, no rain and lots of climbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Short enough route 65 Km around Kinsale-Belgooley-Carrigaline but with the temps being so high and it's a lumpy enough course I was totally drained at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

cycled 40k to enniscorthy today on the single speed, got home feeling fresh and invigorating. ah the sunshine! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

My spin yesterday, was nice and horrible...still recovering...

Started in the city centre(Limerick), sixmilebridge, newmarket on fergus, Clare castle, ennis, quin, sixmilebridge, clonlara(the road from sixmile to clonlara was tough, a few nice drag's), city centre again...

Around 84km and in 3 hours...which included being stopped at a stop and go for the best part of 5 minutes...

Was my first 50km+ cycle in nearly a year...fairly happy with how it went

Will post up my route after work this evening...while I'm dossing the gym ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Short enough route 65 Km around Kinsale-Belgooley-Carrigaline but with the temps being so high and it's a lumpy enough course I was totally drained at the finish.

Ha ha, I done my longest spin to date today, 59km. It's bad when my longest isn't as much as a short spin to most :o

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

I got back on the back last Wednesday week after doing nearly nothing for a year. I've done 22km, 20km, 22km, 19km, 34km and 34km since. If I can get another 32km tomorrow I'll have done 100km this week. Only doing them at around 21km/h to 23km/h. But not bad for someone thats 17 1/2 stone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

50km around the backroads of lovely louth just me Bob Dylan led Zeplin we had a whale of a time.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I've spent the last 6 days completing the Rapha Rising Challenge (7,235m in 8 days) on strava. I finished today with a total of 335km and 7,326m for the week. I've wheezed up nearly every last climb in south Dublin plus a couple in Wicklow.

Who needs the Alps when you've got a week like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I've spent the last 6 days completing the Rapha Rising Challenge (7,235m in 8 days) on strava. I finished today with a total of 335km and 7,326m for the week. I've wheezed up nearly every last climb in south Dublin plus a couple in Wicklow.

Who needs the Alps when you've got a week like this!

Fair play, was trying to complete that myself this week but only got to 4500m!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Enjoying a mellow spin out to Laragh and back over the sally gap yesterday, when I saw a lad in lycra coming out of a ditch a couple of KM before the viewing point. I helped him haul the bike out of the ditch, a rather nice looking blue and white full suss giant MTB, whereupon we found the rear wheel had a badly cracked rim, many bent spokes, and was now oval. He also seemed to have snapped the saddle off somehow, which he was carrying when I came across him. The rider seemed fine and was bracing himself to make the call of shame to a friend, but it had me thinking how if the name of God do you manage to crash a MTB on a smooth bog road hard enough to destroy your rear wheel and knock of the saddle? I stuck with him for a few minutes to make sure he was ok, but took the Cruagh descent somewhat slower than usual afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

98Km in 3hr 15, out to the coast at Clogherhead and followed it round to Annagassin. Met up with a nice old chap along the coast road and we span along nicely for a while. Nice spin out that I've not done before but will do again now. Averaged 30.4Kmh for the whole trip which was a surprise to me as I didn't think it felt that fast. Maybe I'm improving..(that's my next ride jinxed!)

http://app.strava.com/activities/69193028

Horrible and amazing and then horrible again, my legs are in complete bits...

94.5km in 3 hour 20 Minutes http://app.strava.com/activities/69210328

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Just 30k tonight to try and get some life back in the legs. But it had rained earlier, a couple of big soft showers. After the long dry spell it made the roads treacherous. Glad no one saw me on some of the corners, think Bambi on ice and you get the picture.. Took in a small part of next Sunday's Meath Heritage route out by Brownstown and Dean Hill. Looking forward to it. Hope it's dry.

Horrible and amazing and then horrible again, my legs are in complete bits...

94.5km in 3 hour 20 Minutes http://app.strava.com/activities/69210328

Quick one realted to wind direction, it is possible for the wind direction to be same on a stretch road from day to day? Just asking, as the route above is an reverse of a route I did before(not the exact same, but from Adare, Rathkeale and Askeaton, I remember being greeted with tail winds that day, whereas yesterday it was pretty much head winds all the way...Which is why I found it horrible, but upon reflection I'm happy with my time considering the conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

32km in the Phoenix Park @29.5kph this morning - aiming for 30kph during the Dublin City Triathlon in 5 weeks' time. No aerobars, so hopefully will hit the 30 on the day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

stiofan85 wrote: »
    32km in the Phoenix Park @29.5kph this morning - aiming for 30kph during the Dublin City Triathlon in 5 weeks' time. No aerobars, so hopefully will hit the 30 on the day :)

I did my first trip with the aero bars this morning and was up from 24.7 to 27.1 km/h avg over the same route. I need to adjust the setup though as I wasn't 100% comfy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement