Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

ford2600 wrote: »
    145psi? Are you sur you had 10 bar in.

I switched to 28mm from 23mm reduced pressure to 95/85 back/front. It helps on rough tar chip surfaces.

Run tires at minimum rated pressure and see how you go. Go too low and you'll get pinch flats.

145 is very high

Yeah there are between 140-145, Yeah it certainly was a mistake...

I also noticed an also wheezing noise while cycling, but can't seem to reinact it off the bike:confused: Wheel bearings seem fine:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Yeah there are between 140-145, Yeah it certainly was a mistake...

I also noticed an also wheezing noise while cycling, but can't seem to reinact it off the bike:confused: Wheel bearings seem fine:confused:

Google tyre pressure chart. If you have your weight plus bike weight and tyre size you can calculate ideal pressure.

More weight on back probably a 55/45 split or thereabouts.

I'm no slower on wider tyre. More to science behind it than you might think.

Some pro teams run 25mm tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

100km Meath Heritage Cycle.

1st time on the bike for longer than 90 mins.

1st 42.4km were tough enough with some tough climbs and fast descents, and this pretty much took us into the first water stop in a time of 1 hour 56 mins, average speed of 21.7kph.

Another 15km to the food stop, had a sandwich, egg salad, wine gums and coffee while a DJ was blasting out Queens "I want to ride my Bicycle" - very apt and great craic.

Back on the bike for another 18km to the last water stop, stopped for a very brief drink.
    this was 75km in and i still had a bit of energy so pushed on as hard as I could for the last 25km on what was a relatively flat surface.

We had been very lucky with the weather all day and then as soon as I crossed the 10km to go mark, it started absolutely bucketing it down and got soaked, shades fogged up so much I couldnt see and had to take them off.

Had the bike in top gear and was cruising at 30kph and did the last 25km in 50 mins or so which i was delighted with.

Left Trim at 9:12 and got in again at 14:03.
    Really enjoyed today and will definitely be out and about doing other cycles like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

It wasn't today, it was a few months ago. Dec 2nd last year to be honest...

matsumotobldg_zps82bc8c6a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I also noticed an also wheezing noise while cycling, but can't seem to reinact it off the bike:confused:
    Try running up and down the stairs 30 times! ;)

• Advertisement

Try running up and down the stairs 30 times! ;)

The noise is from the bike...not me

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

Between a stomach bug and a flare up of my disc problem in my back my whole last four weeks on the bike has been curtailed and disrupted! when i thought i was getting better i would head out and suddenly was right back in square one. so today marked the end of a two week rest period other than my commutes to work. 85km in just over 3 hours on some nice terrain. Got caught by three flash looking time trial bikes on the road to roundwood and tried to hold their wheel for as long as possible but just got dropped before we hit the village. still helped me get a new pb on that section so if youre reading the lad in the movistar jersey says thanks for the tow :)

hit laragh and by chance bumped into a mate and his pal and we tackled glenmacnass and the gap on the way home. my efforts caught up with me and the last 20km started to burn! even had some cramp which hasnt happened in a very very long time! time to get back in shape methinks.

follow me please :)

http://app.strava.com/activities/70406579

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The noise is from the bike...not me
    I know Paddy - just my attempt at humour!
    allez wrote: »
    ...follow me please :)
    Done! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got up and out for about 5:50am this morning, planning a reasonably relaxed spin from Ballyboden, Bohernabreena, Manor Kilbride, Blessington and back. No one more surprised than myself, when the bike takes a left off Bohernabreena towards Cunard and Grassamucky. Jaysus, but it felt like one stiff climb to get to the Military road through Grassamuck brakes. Pleased to see a couple of horses half way up, giving me a perfectly reasonable excuse to stop to take a photo or two on the phone, while letting the heart rate drop back out of the danger zone. Scooted back home via Cruagh road, to arrive in having managed a lamentable 19.2kph, even though I hit 66kph on Cruagh road. Seriously need to consider dropping a few pounds.

Loving the early morning spins though. Empty roads, more wildlife than you could shake a stick at, and just about perfect cycling conditions. Forecast looking good for another go tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Made the maiden voyage to the wicklow mountains with my brother on sunday. 67km loop from Enniskerry opposite to yourself @allez, really enjoyed it some great views. Might just have to make it a weekly event as my climbing was shocking at best could have done with another 10 gears :) Great to see so many people out cycling up that area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I had a super-stupid moment on the Meath Heritage Tour yesterday.

I was descending a dead straight hill (Summerhill?) and decided to get aero like this guy:
    30508.jpg

As the bottom of the hill approached I tried to sit back up and got my shorts caught in my saddle. I couldn't get free of the saddle and started rapidly gaining on the rider in front. I had to apply the brakes fairly sharpish while still out of the saddle, ground wet and greasy, no weight over the rear wheel. Rear wheel comes around alongside me and I end up 'drifting' for a while before freeing my shorts and finding my saddle again.

Just managed to get it all under control in time to avoid a bunch of people picking someone up off the road at the bottom.

I've done this tuck many times before but I recently switched my seatpost to a Triathlon/TT seatpost and hadn't tried it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

hardCopy wrote: »
    I had a super-stupid moment on the Meath Heritage Tour yesterday.

I was descending a dead straight hill (Summerhill?) and decided to get aero like this guy:
    30508.jpg

As the bottom of the hill approached I tried to sit back up and got my shorts caught in my saddle. I couldn't get free of the saddle and started rapidly gaining on the rider in front. I had to apply the brakes fairly sharpish while still out of the saddle, ground wet and greasy, no weight over the rear wheel. Rear wheel comes around alongside me and I end up 'drifting' for a while before freeing my shorts and finding my saddle again.

Just managed to get it all under control in time to avoid a bunch of people picking someone up off the road at the bottom.

I've done this tuck many times before but I recently switched my seatpost to a Triathlon/TT seatpost and hadn't tried it since.

I hope you were doing 70kph + before assuming that position !!

Another early morning, took the old hybrid out for a change with the plan to go up Kilmashogue and catch sunrise at the point where the Wicklow way leaves the Coilte track. A puncture halfway up Kilmashogue lane scuppered this, but still a very enjoyable meander through the forest trails and out to Ticknock. Had planned to head on to Glencullen, but a bit short of time, so maybe tomorrow. Really need to change the slicks on the hybrid back to the old knobblies for the gravel trails, as they struggled on corners, as did I. Must keep my eyes out for an old cross bike. Much as I love the road bike, the ability to leave the road and take the trails is great gas.

Couple of shots from the last couple of days here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Just back in from almost 75k around the Skellig Ring in Kerry. Started in Waterville and around by Ballinskelligs, St. Finians' Bay, on to Portmagee and across to Valentia Island. Ferry from Knightstown to Caherciveen and back to Waterville. Hilly and windy, proper hills too, not the slopes and inclines we call hills around where I'm from in Meath. Spectacular scenery all the way. I died on my a*** though, couldn't ever divulge my average speed. A really enjoyable day, one I'll remember for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Just back in from almost 75k around the Skellig Ring in Kerry. Started in Waterville and around by Ballinskelligs, St. Finians' Bay, on to Portmagee and across to Valentia Island. Ferry from Knightstown to Caherciveen and back to Waterville. Hilly and windy, proper hills too, not the slopes and inclines we call hills around where I'm from in Meath. Spectacular scenery all the way. I died on my a*** though, couldn't ever divulge my average speed. A really enjoyable day, one I'll remember for a while.

Did that same round once on a cheap old MTB. It really was cheap €99 from one of the supermarket.

Did you go skelig ring after Portmagee?
    There is some proper clime there. I had to come of the bike and walk up the hill. And even that was a struggle.
    I ruined my underpants doing 50+ coming down but it all was worth it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

inc21 wrote: »
    Did that same round once on a cheap old MTB. It really was cheap €99 from one of the supermarket.

Did you go skelig ring after Portmagee?
    There is some proper clime there. I had to come of the bike and walk up the hill. And even that was a struggle.
    I ruined my underpants doing 50+ coming down but it all was worth it though.

Tried it. Turned left on to the cliff road towards Portmagee after coming around by St Finians Bay. Got up the first couple of hairpins and then died. Out of gears and almost standing still. Turned back and headed round to Portmagee the long way. Pride took a dent but I knew I wouldn't make it. Would have needed a triple with a "great granny" ring and even then there would have been walking involved. No chance of me getting up on a 50/24 compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

After knocking more that a minute off my best time up the Sutton hill (8:35!!) on my old steel beater I felt like superman! Quickly discovered why, having to return 20km home against fecking steady 30kmh headwind :-/ You never appreciate tailwind until you turn around. Instant karma, I guess ;-)

Would have needed a triple with a "great granny" ring and even then there would have been walking involved.

First time I did it was on my hybrid with Deore groups set; triple with great granny ring (26/28 low gear). Last time was on the road bike, also a triple with great granny (30/28). No walking involved, but (coughs) wouldn't you have to stop at least once to capture that beautiful scenery in a photograph? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Lovely mild evening out if a little breezy, took the scenic route and managed to get myself lost in Ticknevin but two very nice ladies put me on the straight and narrow.

nilhg wrote: »
    Lovely mild evening out if a little breezy, took the scenic route and managed to get myself lost in Ticknevin but two very nice ladies put me on the straight and narrow.

Ballymacarbry Waterford to Carrickmacross Monaghan.
    245km.
    A lot of rain but mild.

Two hr delay in portlaoise waiting for shop to open for most of it.

Snapped gear cable.

Beautiful spin otherwise

• Advertisement

Ballymacarbry Waterford to Carrickmacross Monaghan.
    245km.
    A lot of rain but mild.

Two hr delay in portlaoise waiting for shop to open for most of it.

Snapped gear cable.

Beautiful spin otherwise

How long did that take you

How long did that take you

12 incl over 2hrs shivering in portlaoise!

12 incl over 2hrs shivering in portlaoise!

So an average speed of nearly 25km hour moving time accounted for only...that's savage, do it solo?

So an average speed of nearly 25km hour moving time accounted for only...that's savage, do it solo?

10hrs incl toilet and food breaks. Maybe 9 15 cycling.
    Solo yes.
    If you want savage look up Shane power dungarvan on strava. Averaged over 30km on a longer spin to donegal.

My spin very flat.

10hrs incl toilet and food breaks. Maybe 9 15 cycling.
    Solo yes.
    If you want savage look up Shane power dungarvan on strava. Averaged over 30km on a longer spin to donegal.

My spin very flat.

That just mademe feel bad about my cycling legs:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Was about to post about my 31.5kph 32km spin and how happy I am after it.

I also used aerobars for 90% of it. Oh well, progress is progress!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

Ashtown - Lucan - Newcastle - Athgoe - Kill - Straffan - Maynooth - Leixlip (Confey) - Porterstown - Ashtown

66km
    Time 2:35

Lovely soft morning for a spin...

Limerick, Sixmilebridge, Tulla, Broadford, Clonlara, Sixmilbridge, Limerick...84.5km in 3 hours...that time includes stops to check the staus of my wheel

Had a couple of issues on the spin, spoke broke after 50km...Just a quick one what are the dangers of a missing spoke on a rear wheel, its a 32 spoke wheel I think?

Lovely soft morning for a spin...

Limerick, Sixmilebridge, Tulla, Broadford, Clonlara, Sixmilbridge, Limerick...84.5km in 3 hours...that time includes stops to check the staus of my wheel

Had a couple of issues on the spin, spoke broke after 50km...Just a quick one what are the dangers of a missing spoke on a rear wheel, its a 32 spoke wheel I think?

Get it sorted it put more strain on other spokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Never do too much with a broken or missing spoke - the wheel can buckle quite easily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement