Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

ford2600 wrote: »
    Get it sorted it put more strain on other spokes.
    Never do too much with a broken or missing spoke - the wheel can buckle quite easily.

Cheers guys

I dropped it straight into the bike shop on my return, also asked if I could have it sorted for Friday evening...I dropped it in at 10.30, and he seemed to make a big deal out of it, is changing a spoke that much hassle:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Depends on where it broke. Drive side means the cassette would need to come off. If the nipple needs to be replaced too, the tyre and tube would have to come off. It's not a huge hassle tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Did 45k today, comprising two laps of tibradden rd -> cruagh road -> johnny foxes -> lamb doyles -> up Ticknock, down Kellystown - > tibradden. Put an extra effort in today because I chickened out and turned back on my ride yesterday in the face of a wall of dark clouds beyond Tibradden wood! Been trying to build up my climbing pace over the last few weeks, which is improving about as slowly as I ascend cruagh, but improving nonetheless. Set a few PRs in spite of the wind, including the cruagh ascent and a mad top 15 on a short climb by Johnny Foxes. I guess no one bothers with that one :pac: Also surprised to see the ticknock descent marked hazardous on Strava. I can understand the Kellystown side being flagged, but the Ticknock side is quite wide and nicely surfaced. I'm not particularly interested in setting downhill times anyway, for my own safety, but that one seemed odd.

Edit: Little update on the Ticknock descent... perhaps a hazardous warning ain't so bad. An old lady put the nose of her car out on the road in front of me today at the lower end of the hill - luckily not carrying on with her exit. It doesn't seem like the driveway she was exiting had road mirrors to alert her to cars or cyclists; she had pulled out a little bit and stopped, so I assumed she had seen me, but as I got closer she started moving again out onto the road. I had been freewheeling/braking at about 45km/h, so not excessive, but obviously something I'll be very aware of in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Managed just under 2km before my chain snapped on the first uphill part of my ride. Managed to just stop myself sprawling all over the road somehow. Nice walk/freewheel home before it lashed with rain.
    Bought and fitted a power link but no time to get out again. Maybe next week on Zurich....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I had set a goal on strava for Conor Pass and burst a gut on it the other day only to come back and find my gps went ga~ga :(
    So I set off again tonight for more torture but very glad to see that gps behaved and I did well, phew.
    Great climb and great views btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

A bit of a disaster!!!

Wanted to do 85km. Route was Santry, Rathfarnham, Hellfile, Glencree, Sally Gap, down to Enniskerry via Ballinstoe and Djouce, Drundrum and home.

The wind made it a tough spin, very tough. Going up Ballinastoe, a spoke broke. No option but keep going. Shattered, I made it past Dundrum and I noticed a second spoke broke. Kept going and immediately the rear deraileur hanger snapped. Spin over!!!! Had done 70km at that point. Luckily no further damage done. Ended up having to get a taxi home. €20.

Was able to get a to bike shop to get a replacement deraileur hanger and two spoke. Was able to fix it all myself as I have the tools needed. Just need to pump wheel to see if it spins true. fingers crossed.

As a plus, the bike got a well over due clean.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get out on Monday.

Went out this evening planning on a attacking a climb twice then return home via sixmilebridge...

Was all gonig well until the thunder storm started and left me going downhill into sixmilebridge at speed...scary, so got into the sixmilebridge and the lightening started...

So I was pretty much stranded, as with the heavy rain, thunder and lightening the sky had suddenly turned black with visibility low...had to call someone to come out and collect me...the shame of it all:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Bee attack, spinning along in a little world of my own when a bee manages to fly straight onto my mouth and sting me on the tongue, not a nice sensation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Took a spin from ballycastle in mayo out towards Belmullet and then back. My wife's 17 year old cousin came along and was good company, like a mountain goat though, he's cycling 50km to see his girlfriend!

Great weather and crazy sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

85k out to howth and back. Found houses I want to buys after a lotto win up the right hand side of the church from howth side. Breezy out there kept me working the whole time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

nilhg wrote: »
    Bee attack, spinning along in a little world of my own when a bee manages to fly straight onto my mouth and sting me on the tongue, not a nice sensation.

This happened to me on the SkT last year, a wasp got into the Air vents of my helmet , what are the chances of that happening :eek: . Apparently I looked like a guy having an epileptic fit. Bloody sore for days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Did the Ride London 100 miler today. Just awesome. Nasty head wind on the way out to Surrey. But the ride into the Mall, finishing in front of Buckingham Palace....just amazing. Huge crowds, music, entertainment....just like the London marathon. But on bikes

5 hrs 25m, so happy enough considering this years mileage hasn't been great

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Took a spin from Dublin down to Mt Leinster yesterday, headwind most of the way and cycled through the heaviest downpour I've ever been out in crossing Mt Leinster, complete with thunder and lightening. I had to cycle close to the white line as the road had decided to become a river with the cattle grids bubbling over. A shot a few minutes later on the descent from the 9 stones after things had dried up some;

265611.JPG

Totally exhilarating as only an Irish summer can be. Arrived in at the other end like a drowned rate with a wide grin on my face. Recovery drink was Tyskie followed by a mass of beautifully bbqed meat, followed by many more beers, meat, and great company.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not nice at all, and something I often worry about. Plenty of bees and other insects bounced off me in the wind yesterday. Luckily only the smaller non-stinging variety mad it into my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Cycled two abreast down the cycle-only lane (the one with no-walkers painted on it every 100m) in phoenix park with my dad (his first time out cycling in a quarter decade or so), and I got pushed and shouted at by a jogger who was going the wrong way down the cycle path.

As he pushed me he shouted that I had forced him off the path despite there being not only an identical and parallel walking and running tarmac section only a couple of metres to the side, and there being tens of metres of flat soft grass to run on. I'm no fan of salmons whether they're on a bike or running but that he actually pushed and shouted at me just to make his point clear sent me over the edge and I had no problem with chasing him down and explaining myself very loudly to him and everyone in his vicinity as he ran away with his tail between his legs.

I just hate the type of selfish person who would clearly behave like a nob no matter whether they're on foot, or on two wheels or in a motorised aggro-box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Have had many good spins since posted here last but today's one feel's kind of special.

Work commitments kept me from going out most of the week. I missed my bike so decided to go out on Friday after work no matter what. Long story short, bad decision.
    Got lost, puncture, 2 x broken spokes, got soaked, attacked by dog's and riding back home on main road in dark. No lights, no reflectors. Every time car came had to jump in to a ditch.

Got everything sorted and bike running well again on Saturday. Tried again today and now pleased with the week overall.
    Did 65k round Mallow, averaged 31.6km/h. Avoided rain most of the day, despite dark skies. It only rained last 6k but that really acted as natural water cooling.
    :D
    http://app.strava.com/activities/72131791

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

This happened to me on the SkT last year, a wasp got into the Air vents of my helmet , what are the chances of that happening :eek: . Apparently I looked like a guy having an epileptic fit. Bloody sore for days though.
    smacl wrote: »
    Not nice at all, and something I often worry about. Plenty of bees and other insects bounced off me in the wind yesterday. Luckily only the smaller non-stinging variety mad it into my mouth.

I managed to spit him out quick enough, didn't even stop TBH, I've been stung plenty of times before and never had a reaction so wasn't too worried but than you hear horror stories about swelling......

Worst thing really was that my whole mouth seemed sore but a hot drink in Athy seemed to settle things down.

Not something you can easily protect against, hopefully a once in a lifetime experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Happened to me a few months ago, toward the end of last summer. Riding up hill, mouth open, big deep breaths, and I breathed in a bee or wasp. Went right down, got caught in my thought, and it stung me right in the back of the throat, quite far down. Swallowed it as couldn't cough it back up.

Stopped, and tried to calm down my heart rate. I'm not allergic, so wasn't too worried, but you never know. If that had swelled up I might have been in serious trouble. As it was, swallowing was sore for a few hours, and I could feel the little lump down there for a week.

Shudder to think what would have happened if I had a reaction to the sting

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Disaster today. Hit the wall mentally. Think I'll jack it in for the winter and start again next year. 100km today but it was torture.

Knee aswell is giving out. Could feel it with every turn of the pedal. Haven't done much since the Ring of Kerry and it feels like I've lost all the hard work I put in for that.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Jovetic wrote: »
    Think I'll jack it in for the winter and start again next year.

Ah nooo, not the W-word in August! Even if it has mostly been cycling in freezing downpours, lightning, thunder, the odd bit of flooding lately...

Sounds like a lot of people have been having some less than pleasant spins and a bit of disaster this week. Maybe it's something in the air, all that lightning... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

I wouldn't call it freezing just yet. We're currently experiencing monsoon season, brief heavy downpours but it's still a balmy 20c. Plenty of dehydrating sweaty sunlight out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Back on the bike 3 weeks after a 2 year lay off due to injury. Trying to start back where I left off but really isn't working too well. Invested in an Edge 500. Set it up on the bike yesterday and decided to head to a climb I used to use for training. Didn't go so well.
    First ride.

Decided I'd go for it again on Sunday. Different climb but same overall route. Went just about as bad.Second ride. Going to need a serious winter if I'm racing next year haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

A nice 53k starting Navan and around by Kells, Carlanstown, Moynalty, back to Kells and home via Bohermeen. Blustery wind made it tough enough in places but had a nice tailwind home. Enjoyable.

Just back from my longest solo spin to date...95.3km...Here

Was really tough, headwinds galore...The road from Tipp Town to Emily was one of the worst I've ever ridden, surface was horrid and its hilly as frak, which I wasn't expecting or wanting:eek:

All in all its was an OK spin, few days off the bike now, next spin Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

lovely spin around the coast drogheda to castlebelligham met 3 german tourers heading to belfast, i told them to wild camp in or around carlinfort as they would not make belfast today ;)
    from there headed in land to ardee met that sportive ardee had on today plenty of cyclists around then met 2 of my cycling buddies had a chat and we went our seperate ways .yeah a great day on the bike enjoyed it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭notuslimited

In training for Malin to Mizen in Sept so Saturday, Sunday and today entailed a 100km from Naas to Portlaoise and back. In fact today I went a little further and clocked 117km. Saturday was a bit windy and cold starting off at 8am. Took about 10km before my fingers stopped paining me. Rest of the cycle uneventful with the exception of one driver trying to pack me off to the morgue (her overtaking manoeuvre of another car went tits up). I was coming in the opposite direction and she nearly ran me over. Pain in my feet on Sunday for most of the ride and today it was the turn of my arse. Average speed each day was approx 23km an hour. Would like to be able manage 25km consistently but not there yet. Looking forward to a nice pint of Guinness tonight. Off tomorrow, minding the kids. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Back from my longest ever spin, out to Howth then back, 58km.

I found it tough towards the end, but delighted that I completed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnnybhoy78

101km today flat route,bit windy..tallaght -blessington-naas-kilcock-summerhill maynooth and home again

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Did a little over 65k today including laps of my usual areas. Two laps out to Johnny Foxes and Lamb Doyles via Cruagh (and a climb of Ticknock at the end of each), and a final lap of Cruagh to viewing point and down Killakee road by Hell fire. Climbed a total of 1.3k and my quads are rightly aching now :pac:

Nearly wore my brake pads out behind a cyclist descending Killakee road. I'm all in favour of keeping my downhill speed in check and periodically applying the brakes, but this guy was doing jogging speed at best and weaving out to the middle of the road and back making it impossible to pass safely. I ended up coming to almost a standstill and letting him get ahead of me a couple of times before passing him on the flat.

Also, a bit of a weird incident occurred near Marlay Park/Tibradden road. I was heading under the M50 bridge to Tibradden roundabout, and two lads on their loud Motocross bikes were heading under the bridge from the opposite side (I assume on their way back from a day in the mountains). I meet them just as I'm almost exiting under the bridge and they entering, and typically both of them rev the ****e out of their bikes just as they're passing me, nearly bursting my eardrums :pac: I continue on to the roundabout over the next few seconds and hear the clash and scraping of plastic on tarmac behind me. One of the eejits obviously lost control of his bike under the acceleration and came off in the middle of the road. From what I could see he didn't hit a car and the bike went a lot further than him, but there were plenty of cars at the junction near them to offer assistance so I carried on. No sign of them or any damage when I came back that way about 40 minutes later. Hope he's alright, but also hope he'll think twice about acting like an idiot on the road after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

PB on Howth hill from the Sutton side this morning, happy with that. Tackling the hills in Wicklow have paid off , its either that or the handy spin over to Howth with the Mrs which set it up perfectly :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement