Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭nilhg

Drove over to Rosanallis (cheating I know but 40km each way of flat would have made the timing impossible) and did the two main climbs in the Slieve Blooms each way, 77km and 1370m gained, lovely day, quiet roads (I met only one car going over the Cut the first time) and the legs felt good, it seemed like cycling heaven, it doesn't get much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

Got my first puncture today:(. My third spin. Got it changed and made my way home!! Really enjoying my new hobby. 45k today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

I bought a Trek 7200 on Saturday, After removing the rear carrier and a trip to Halfords to buy a helmet and saddle bag I headed off for my first spin. My legs had given up for the last 5k but over all it was a good introduction to the sport. I'm very fit from running but my leg muscles need a lot of work!

WP_000970_zpsbc7bb175.jpg

WP_000979_zps011aa292.jpg

WP_000980_zpsdec5dc18.jpg

map_zpsdc1bc5fe.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 50km today @ 30.5km/h. Over last few weeks I have lost few kgs of weight and I am a bit stronger rider now as well. I have been training hard on turbo too with intervals of high resistance and I think it's helping me in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

My cycling has been suffering on the priorities list lately and today was my first spin since the last time I posted here (buzzing around town on a single speed pig not included) again I find myself tempted to use the D word but given some of the other tales of woe on here, I'll settle for disappointed.

First my bike computer stopped working, doesn't seem to be the sensor placement, so I'm going to try a new battery later today, then I started hearing weird noises as I passed the Merry Ploughboy and stopped to see if I was having a mechanical, immediately prompting someone in a white Specialized jersey to shoot past me, pressing me to work hard up the hill and...in due course puke a little bit at the turnaround point (the first junction is all I had time for) I was then very uncomfortable for most of the descent, only really loosening up and enjoying it by the time I hit the first roundabout.

My fall off in practice is really showing, going to have to start getting up earlier and reclaiming my progress!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Set at new PB on the Tour De Work today, cleaned my bike and managed to get my mudguards to fit which the lbs said was impossible and wanted to sell me new ones, thus saving 40 quid. Today was a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Dundrum - Airport - Rush - Skerries - Balbriggan - Naul - Airport - Dundrum.

103.76km with an average speed of 27.1km/h, happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Did this spin tonight with a club mate: http://app.strava.com/activities/72665680

I've been working on the Geeragh segment now for a few weeks, doing it probably twice per week with 3-4 weeks. Every time I do it I'm knocking 3-4 seconds off my time which is bloody frustrating but good at the same time. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

eire-kp wrote: »
    I bought a Trek 7200 on Saturday, After removing the rear carrier and a trip to Halfords to buy a helmet and saddle bag I headed off for my first spin. My legs had given up for the last 5k but over all it was a good introduction to the sport. I'm very fit from running but my leg muscles need a lot of work!

WP_000970_zpsbc7bb175.jpg

WP_000979_zps011aa292.jpg

WP_000980_zpsdec5dc18.jpg

map_zpsdc1bc5fe.png

Love up around Lough Easkey

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Onefortysix

50k around Wicklow. Nice side effect of the bus strike were empty bus lanes on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 40km around North Cork and Kerry border. Strong headwind big hills. Avg speed 29.0km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Did an 90km spin today, Limerick, Castleconnell, Nenagh, Portro(that hill is a complete monster), Killaloe, Castleconnell and Limerick...

Did it in 3hrs 28mins...But that includes at least 45 minutes of cycling in heavy traffic getting stopped at every set of lights and fixing a puncture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I've been working on the Geeragh segment now for a few weeks, doing it probably twice per week with 3-4 weeks. Every time I do it I'm knocking 3-4 seconds off my time which is bloody frustrating but good at the same time. :D

...........shakes fist at younger quicker climber :pac:

Actually, where are you picking up those extra few seconds, I'm guessing the flatter bits in between the steep segments?

/note to self: must try harder

Tipped out to Ennis today its around 76km, but my strava decided to crap out on me at around 66km mark, leading to me pushing hard on a segment only for it not to be counted very unhappy now:mad:

So I did my 76km in 2hrs 39 minutes time is from my heart rate monitor...

Was a tough enough spin with a lot of headwinds early on

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Tipped out to Ennis today its around 76km, but my strava decided to crap out on me at around 66km mark, leading to me pushing hard on a segment only for it not to be counted very unhappy now:mad:

So I did my 76km in 2hrs 39 minutes time is from my heart rate monitor...

Was a tough enough spin with a lot of headwinds early on

Strava bugging out is disheartening for sure. I left for a ride a few days ago and my phone couldn't lock down a GPS signal at all. I pressed start on Strava anyway (did this before and it managed to pick up the signal a few meters outside my house and record the ride without issue) only to return and see over 2 hours recorded on Strava, but a little message telling me it needs more time to find my location. Nothing recorded :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

hueylewis wrote: »
    Strava bugging out is disheartening for sure. I left for a ride a few days ago and my phone couldn't lock down a GPS signal at all. I pressed start on Strava anyway (did this before and it managed to pick up the signal a few meters outside my house and record the ride without issue) only to return and see over 2 hours recorded on Strava, but a little message telling me it needs more time to find my location. Nothing recorded :mad:

i-forgot-to-post-on-facebook-i-was-going-to-the-gym.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Stupid horse woman annoyed me today. Passed her and went as far on the other side of the road as I could get, at a very slow pace, made plenty of noise with my very squeaky breaks and coasting sound about 10 meters behind, and has the cheek to swear at me and say "nice to have a warning".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

...........shakes fist at younger quicker climber :pac:

Actually, where are you picking up those extra few seconds, I'm guessing the flatter bits in between the steep segments?

/note to self: must try harder

:D

Yes, I'd say it's the flatter bits. Have a look at the Performance tab: http://app.strava.com/segment_efforts/1430791823

RainyDay wrote: »

Well I have friends on strava who have some good times on segments and in a straight race I'm faster than them so its annoying when they've faster speeds on strava...but I get your point

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

RainyDay wrote: »

Oh a meme, how clever! ;)

Luckily life's not all black and white! I got enjoyment and benefit out of the ride, and some disappointment that Strava didn't record it. Hard concept to grasp, I know :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Went out over the Ox mountains from home today. Have to say the state of the road surface once I crossed into Sligo. Hadn't been out on that section of road since Easter and boy is it bad. Hopefully someone doesn't wreck a wheel out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Stupid horse woman annoyed me today. Passed her and went as far on the other side of the road as I could get, at a very slow pace, made plenty of noise with my very squeaky breaks and coasting sound about 10 meters behind, and has the cheek to swear at me and say "nice to have a warning".

some horsey types can be intolerable on the road, people who accuse cyclists of feeling entitled should deal with horse riders some times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

With mudguards, rack and pannier the bike seems to weight a tonne. Not sure which is worse, returning to the backpack or struggling on. Nearly 30 seconds slower pace at the moment. It is nice not having to carry anything though.

BrianjG wrote: »
    With mudguards, rack and pannier the bike seems to weight a tonne. Not sure which is worse, returning to the backpack or struggling on. Nearly 30 seconds slower pace at the moment. It is nice not having to carry anything though.

You get used to it after a few weeks, I honestly don't think it makes any difference to timings after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

on my way to maynooth, decided to take a different turn (13k sign at the crossroads ...i shoulda known better...sent me on what felt like a figure 8 loop and i was still shot out at that narrow road out of lexlip before hitting the backside of carton house)

anyway, take the new turn and lo and behold, truck behind me runs me offa the road, luckilly just into a small ditch in front of some grassy verge.

no need for coffee now!

Cycling has been suffering lately with my dissertation due next week, yesterday I did a paltry 8km out to Uni and back to get a book from the library, didn't even both with Strava.

But lo and behold I found my legs again, when an RLJr shot past me on the inside when I stopped at a light and then sailed through the next red.

Coming out of Ranelagh village I spun up to 38kph and held it until Clonskeagh road and that deceptive drag leading into UCD.

Chuffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Cycling has been suffering lately with my dissertation due next week, yesterday I did a paltry 8km out to Uni and back to get a book from the library, didn't even both with Strava.

But lo and behold I found my legs again, when an RLJr shot past me on the inside when I stopped at a light and then sailed through the next red.

Coming out of Ranelagh village I spun up to 38kph and held it until Clonskeagh road and that deceptive drag leading into UCD.

Chuffed.

the feckin dissertations, they eat into your saddle time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Out to Greystones today and crossed paths a few times with 2 lads from Clontarf, one on a MTB, short ride into dun laoghaire and we went our seperate ways

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The long way to Athlone. 150km in just over 5 hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Nothing out of the ordanery, just aroung the back roads of louth /meath Newgrange /slane/grangegeeth home by tullyallan, only met one other cyclist struggling up slane hill:D30 miles still great to get out the weather is only marvelous;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement