Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Harold's Cross - Eniskerry - Laragh - Sally Gap - N81 - Harold's Cross. My first 100km, in aprox. 3:30 rolling time...

... and OF COURSE I must have pressed the pause button on my Garmin on 77km! Tried to add the missing section via some GPX tips and tricks but Strava / RidewithGPS reports some wicked speeds for the added part... Still, it was well worth it though, no meme this time! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

santry - harolds cross - rathfarnham - viewing point - sally gap - ballinastoe - stoneypass - enniskerry - dundrum - harolds cross - santry

83km in 3.15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Finally got my new club gear from Italy last night, after a couple of months wait. Delighted with it, really nice quality and fit.

First spin in it today was the 125km, Great Spin Out West around Connemara. Really nice spin, but came down with about 30km to go on an oily decent. Bike was grand a couple of very minor scratches, I was grand, plent of road rash, but the new gear is shagged. Absolutely gutted, mightnt be a new order for a couple of years. I have a fist sized hole in the ar$e of the bibs and the front of the jersey is scuffed.

Anyone ever managed to successfully fix a hole in Lycra bibs before or is it even possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You could patch it I suppose, all depends on the location of the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 Maciej_D

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Finally got my new club gear from Italy last night, after a couple of months wait. Delighted with it, really nice quality and fit.

First spin in it today was the 125km, Great Spin Out West around Connemara. Really nice spin, but came down with about 30km to go on an oily decent. Bike was grand a couple of very minor scratches, I was grand, plent of road rash, but the new gear is shagged. Absolutely gutted, mightnt be a new order for a couple of years. I have a fist sized hole in the ar$e of the bibs and the front of the jersey is scuffed.

Anyone ever managed to successfully fix a hole in Lycra bibs before or is it even possible?
    Sorry to hear about your crash.

I did the great spin out west today as well. Weather could've been a bit better, but still a very enjoyable ride. Quite happy with completing the 125km in 4hrs 9min.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/73591625

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

stetyrrell wrote: »
    You could patch it I suppose, all depends on the location of the hole.

was thinking of that, I have a pair of bibs at home that I could sacrafice, would standard stitching/thread do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Just get a patch and put it over it and if it looks wrong get another for the far side :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Was it oil or a fatted up surface?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Managed 181 km today (my longest to date) in 6hr 50min averaging 26.5 km/h with 1603 metres of climbing.

Rush-Swords-Malahide-Dublin-Stocking Lane-Sally Gap-Laragh-Roundwood-Kilmacanogue-Bray-Dublin-Howth-Portmarnock-Malahide-Swords-Rush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

After my earlier incident with a heavy goods vehicle, the way home from maynooth to stoneybatter was gravy.
    Musta made me mash some extra wattage, pleased with 1:07 rolling for 31k. Managed the top 10% in some segment or other too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

40k into the wind to get the Tara special. Totally worth it. Now for the quick spin home!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

63k out from Rathfarnham to Howth and back.
    I did this cycle last week and found it a bit of struggle for the last few km's, but thankfully today it was much easier going.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out for a spin yesterday with a stinking hangover. Brother in-law suggested we head up to Ticknock via Kilmashogue, so I threw a pair of cross tyres on the old hybrid, and we headed off. The climb in the heat was arduous, and coming down the upper trail on the hybrid more than I could cope with. I ended up walking a few of rockier drops, but made it back injury free. Only my third time out mountain biking, and first time not covered in blood and bruises which was a bonus. Must try again sometime. Without a hangover. On a mountain bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Managed 108km today, was on the road at 6.30am before the rest of the house was awake, was a beautiful morning but every road I took appears to have been into wind!
    Howth - Portmarnock - Malahide - Swords - Rush - Lusk - Balbriggan - Naul - Airport - Santry - Drumcondra - Quays - Fairview - Home.
    Had a very nice fellow cyclist who was with his dad allow me to draft behind him on the way up the Howth hill when I told him I was on the back end of the 100km, I wish you thank you Sir :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

On holidays in the Loire Valley in France so I went for a spin mostly on back roads....just around 30 km.......vineyards, fields of sunflowers etc. On one narrow road near Chouzy-sur-Cisse all the local drivers were very careful when passing but then a silver/grey car passed so close I could feel a "whoosh". You've guessed it..........Cork registration: 11 C. I didn't get the full reg. or the make of the car. There's no escaping them......(Cork people, I mean!)

In spite of losing my cadence magnet and getting a puncture a few km from my base, it was a great spin.

The puncture was caused by a small sharp sliver of stone just a couple of mm wide. I just put a new tube on and had no further problems. It has left a small slit in the tyre, again just a couple of mm. Should I be worried about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

tfrancer wrote: »
    On holidays in the Loire Valley in France so I went for a spin mostly on back roads....just around 30 km.......vineyards, fields of sunflowers etc. On one narrow road near Chouzy-sur-Cisse all the local drivers were very careful when passing but then a silver/grey car passed so close I could feel a "whoosh". You've guessed it..........Cork registration: 11 C. I didn't get the full reg. or the make of the car. There's no escaping them......(Cork people, I mean!)

In spite of losing my cadence magnet and getting a puncture a few km from my base, it was a great spin.

The puncture was caused by a small sharp sliver of stone just a couple of mm wide. I just put a new tube on and had no further problems. It has left a small slit in the tyre, again just a couple of mm. Should I be worried about this?

E6000 is your man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

route66 wrote: »
    E6000 is your man

is that the one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Started by driving from Navan to Dundalk with the bike on the rack. Parked up and headed out around the Cooley peninsula. Greenore, Carlingford, Omeath and up the mountain to the Long Woman's Grave. Back via Ravensdale. About 55k. The 3.5k climb up from Omeath was tough for me. To cap it all it rained as I climbed up and I was bitten by a dog. First time I've actually been bitten, usually they just run alongside barking like fools until they get fed up. But this fecker bit me. Luckily didn't puncture the skin, just a mark and a ruined sock. Didn't take from the enjoyment though. It's a lovely part of the country. And the women in Cafe Rosa in Omeath were great. Had a nice coffee and a scone there. Just back to the car in time, it started to bucket down just as I got there. All in all a grand morning in spite of the dog...

inc21 wrote: »
    is that the one?

Looks right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

After a few days playing the avoidance game with the same terrier in the strawberry beds, I thought better of it at 5 today, it being 'rush hour' and all.

Decided to try somerton climb for the first time. Ended up thinking the dog is a better bet!

• Advertisement

Did the St. Catherines Charity cycle today in Wicklow. The day started with wind and rain - and stayed that way for most of it. I think this was the first year this has run and it's for a good cause. It was a nice challenge but I was very happy when it was over!

Route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/268961425

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Nice 140k solo ride today. Weather was pretty okay, only got soaked once. Some of the towns and villages seemed to be deserted on Limerick side because of the match and not too much traffic.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/75602351

Got a puncture 45k to go. Fair enough, had 1 spare with me. On it went. 3 bars in then checked everything again. All seemed good so proceeded to pump it up to 7bars. Was nearly there when valve snapped in half. Luckily had repair kit with me too. So repaired my old tube and off I went.
    Saw the cut on the tyre on the road side but at home it looked bit worse
    tyre.png
    Just amazed that I din't get any more punctures.
    New tyre might be required but still quite happy with my ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Did a solo 221 kms today.

Rush-Swords-Dublin-Sally Gap-Laragh-Glendalough-Wicklow Gap-Valleymount-Blessington-Tallaght-Dublin-Howth-Portmarnock-Malahide-Swords-Ballyboughal-Naul-Balbriggan-Skerries-Rush

Distance:221 kms
    Elevation: 2,068 metres
    Time: 8h 38m 30s
    Average Speed: 25.6 km/h
    Max Speed: 65.5 km/h

(...and 180 Strava segments! :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Shannon Banks to Broadford, Kilbane to Killaloe, over the gap, to Tuamgraney, Bodyke, Broadford and home. 3.5 hours, a half-hour longer than I had anticipated. Only averaged 23kph. I just couldn't get away from the wind. I felt it was in front of me most of the way. Rained from Ogonelloe to Tuamgraney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Lawr wrote: »
    Shannon Banks to Broadford, Kilbane to Killaloe, over the gap, to Tuamgraney, Bodyke, Broadford and home. 3.5 hours, a half-hour longer than I had anticipated. Only averaged 23kph. I just couldn't get away from the wind. I felt it was in front of me most of the way. Rained from Ogonelloe to Tuamgraney.

Did you map the route on anything? Like strava or mapmyride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Drogheda, Duleek, Ratoath, Dunboyne, Maynooth. Seemed to be a wind in my face the whole way. 13mins slower than the reverse spin last Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Harold's Cross - Cruagh Road - Sally Gap (rain + headwind + going down = cooold!) - Wicklow Way - Ballinastoe - Kilmalin (14% downhill + gravel + 25mm slicks = scary) - Glencullen - Harold's Cross

http://app.strava.com/activities/75541263

67.7 km, 1,329m elevation, 2h 46min rolling, 24.5 km/h.

Shut up legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I have a fist sized hole in the ar$e of the bibs and the front of the jersey is scuffed.

That's probably just a slit which stretches out to a hole when you're wearing them. You could just stitch the edges together and be grand. ISTR doing something of the sort in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

tfrancer wrote: »
    On holidays in the Loire Valley in France so I went for a spin mostly on back roads....just around 30 km.......vineyards, fields of sunflowers etc. On one narrow road near Chouzy-sur-Cisse all the local drivers were very careful when passing but then a silver/grey car passed so close I could feel a "whoosh". You've guessed it..........

Was out that way on the hols this summer. Lovely roads, great views. Hitched a tow for 10km behind a tractor on one spin. Brought the kids out for a '30k' spin (Chaumont sur Loire to Amboise and back) whch turned out to be 52km in the end. Drivers all very couteous and careful...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Lawr wrote: »
    22 miles today out the Quinn road from Ennis then left at turn off for the Tulla road. One mile or so on the Tulla road then right for Crusheen then back to Ennis.
    I flew past a lad on a hill climb before Crusheen but he caught me again on the way to Ennis and we had the crack, I enjoyed that .
    No rain not to much wind good company and an afternoon of hurling to look foward to , Thats a good day:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement