Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

61k today.

Rathfarnham - Harolds Cross - Clontarf - Howth - Portmarnock - Malahide - Clarehall - Artane - Fairview then back to Rathfarnham.

Nice day for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

http://www.strava.com/activities/75898844

My first decent solo spin in a good while. I really need to work on my pre-ride nutrition, I went over Forth Mountain first thing and my legs felt totally dead until I got 25km down the road and bought a can of coke. Caffeine is the business. Didn't even mind getting drenched after swallowing a can.

Managed to get over Sliabh Coillte for the first time, really enjoyed going up it. Great views at the top, and a few hairpins just for effect.

75.6 km, up Sliabh Coillte and 2 climbs of Forth Mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

My first ever time tackling Wicklow today. started in Blessington and went around the lake before joining the Wicklow Gap road and duly climbed it from that side. did the descent and decided to climb the Gap from the Laragh/Glendalough side (for the craic). That climb was much tougher but it was manageable.

A quick coffee and carrot cake in Larragh and off up Sally Gap. That was fine with the only steep bit being around the waterfall.

Reached the crossroads and then a really fast descent down Blessington direction. that was fun!

92.1 km in total. I'll be back for more of Wicklow asap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Did my usual loop today - 55Km from Carricmacross to Kingscourt, out to Bailieborough via Loughanlea, Shercock and home.
    I felt tired and slow at the start having just finished a night shift, travelled home and then had a sick baby getting me up in the night, but when I got back i was pleasantly surprised that I did it in 1.52.02. My previous best was 2.05! Maybe I should start off slower in future.

http://app.strava.com/activities/76099566

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Maynooth, Celbridge, Newcastle. Athgoe Hill, back roads to the blue door, Straffan, Clane, Kilcock, Maynooth.

Wind surprised me in places with the gusts but generally seemed to be in my face all the time

• Advertisement

Wind surprised me in places with the gusts but generally seemed to be in my face all the time

ha! Same here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

103km, beginning from Argeles Gazost, via Luz St Saveur to Gavarnie. Then climbed to the summit of Col des Tentes (2,208 metres).

Tomorrow, the Hautacam then Col du Tourmalet on Thursday. Love the Pyrenees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

http://www.strava.com/activities/76395575
    A longer than usual cycle for me. Headed down past Tinahely with the intention of riding up the Dying Cow climb. The climb itself was over fairly quickly and I managed to stay on the middle front cog of the mountain bike. Circling back around to Shillelagh and approaching the Dying Cow from the side the hill climb from Shillelagh was initially quite severe. Turning downhill (very fast!) at the Dying cow I took the next left then right again heading for the Kilquigan/Mullinacuff junction on the Tinahely/Shillelagh road. The uphill here was pretty taxing but the downhill off it was a delight. A nice cycle only spoiled by the head wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.strava.com/activities/76395575
    A longer than usual cycle for me. Headed down past Tinahely with the intention of riding up the Dying Cow climb. The climb itself was over fairly quickly and I managed to stay on the middle front cog of the mountain bike. Circling back around to Shillelagh and approaching the Dying Cow from the side the hill climb from Shillelagh was initially quite severe. Turning downhill (very fast!) at the Dying cow I took the next left then right again heading for the Kilquigan/Mullinacuff junction on the Tinahely/Shillelagh road. The uphill here was pretty taxing but the downhill off it was a delight. A nice cycle only spoiled by the head wind.

Did the four climbs on SKT, 94km with a lot climbing. Nire climb, ticincor, mahon falls and Mauma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Nice after work evening spin of around 48k. Navan, over Tara and Skryne, down to Garlow X, on to Bective, Kilcooley, Robinstown and back to Navan. Good lash for last 5k, one lad jumped off on a steep little ramp up to a motorway bridge. We got him though, just got his wheel with about 500m to go. A good laugh. Not too many more after work spins left, evenings getting shorter, needed the lights by the end even though it was only around 8 o'clock.

• Advertisement

Out for 75Km today. Nothing really to note apart from I've just passed last years personal total distance already. Did exactly 4000Km last year and I'm at 4021 this year now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

53 km and 731 metres of climbing, http://www.strava.com/activities/76482724

My beloved Stocking Lane/Featherbeds and then on to Glencullen and back home through dundrum.

All went great except for my first time cycle up the Devil's Elbow. I was already tired by the time I got there and had a WTF moment where I had to get off the bike and walk for a short part of it!

Didn't realise until I got to the top - with a painful cadence of only 45 rpm - that I was in the big chain-ring. No bloody wonder. I don't know what to blame for that piece of stupidity - probably a mixture of my newbishness, tiredness with possibly some slight confusion from the new-to-me trim support I got in my move to integrated shifters.

Considering doing the 105K route of the Joe Loughman randonee - it may be twice the distance but it's only another 300 metres of climbing. It's the climbing that really tires me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fair play, I find the Devils elbow challenging enough in the granny ring on my triple! I'd say you'd have no bother with the 105k, just bring a banana / bar / jelly beans to tide you over in case of a fuel shortage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

100km today in Pyrenees. Began at Argeles Gazost, climb to Luz St Sauveur, Col du Tourmalet (from west side, approx 2,200m at top). Mental descent (30km +) past La Mongie, Bagnere, Lizoux, Juncalas then home. That's me all done...next stop Biarritz for some surfing and R&R.

nearing the end of my holiers so time for day time cycles is running out.
    Did a short 5k run this morning and did this in the afternoon on the MTB
    http://www.strava.com/activities/76659008 c33k with a fair amount of climb in there.

This includes the white heaps climb which is a good test on what is an awful road. Lots of bumps and gravel. Quite pleased with my progress on tired legs. A nice downhill stretch on the far side too heading the 60kph mark.

spray painted marks on road junctions for the 'MB'? I presume this was a recent local cycle, which took in the white heaps climb and came back around past the old Wicklow gap. Can anyone shed any light on this?

spray painted marks on road junctions for the 'MB'? I presume this was a recent local cycle, which took in the white heaps climb and came back around past the old Wicklow gap. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Mick Byrne randonee at a guess.

smacl wrote: »
    Mick Byrne randonee at a guess.

Correct. A quick boards search uncovered the MB 200 route which takes in a lot of by-ways down this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Been off the bike for a few days, decided to do a short 20k spin and try and improve my times on some nearby hills. My rested legs were doing well for me. Managed 6 personal bests, including a tied 9th overall on one segment I've been working on (under no illusions that it's a tough one - I think very few people bother blasting through it :p). Was looking forward to setting a nice time on a climb up Kellystown road, only for a car to reverse out onto the road a few metres in front of me with no warning. Guessed she wouldn't take too long to get out, so balanced the bike rather than put my foot down on the incline, only for her to mess up the turn and need to make another go of it. Wrong as I was, I got impatient and pedalled in front through the gap.

Really lovely weather today for cycling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My goal this year was to reach 6500km. I did that tonight. Very happy to have reached my goal 4 months ahead of schedule.

Some great cycles and mile stones along the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Nice quick 40k in the park. Only fly in the ointment was a Garda traffic corps car which cut me off really irresponsibly. I rang the traffic line. Irony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Cycling through the sea mists of NCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

quozl wrote: »
    53 km and 731 metres of climbing, http://www.strava.com/activities/76482724

My beloved Stocking Lane/Featherbeds and then on to Glencullen and back home through dundrum.

All went great except for my first time cycle up the Devil's Elbow. I was already tired by the time I got there and had a WTF moment where I had to get off the bike and walk for a short part of it!

Didn't realise until I got to the top - with a painful cadence of only 45 rpm - that I was in the big chain-ring. No bloody wonder. I don't know what to blame for that piece of stupidity - probably a mixture of my newbishness, tiredness with possibly some slight confusion from the new-to-me trim support I got in my move to integrated shifters.

Considering doing the 105K route of the Joe Loughman randonee - it may be twice the distance but it's only another 300 metres of climbing. It's the climbing that really tires me.

A couple of years ago, I was also forced into a Walk Of Shame in the same spot - and for the same reason!

I guess you'll be forgiven by the cycling Gods ...

Nice mellow spin up to the sally gap last night, passing the Orwell racers working hard going the other direction. Met three lads from Drimnagh on the way home, pushing their bikes up the Military road as one had punctured. Offered to do a fix for them, took a tube out, and as we turned the bike over found out it didn't have quick release levers so that was that. Incredible amount of biting insects out last night too, still itchy as I write this. I'd say the Drimnagh lads were anemic bordering on skeletal by the time they got out of the hills.

Time was short this morning so only managed a short local loop which incorporated a nice testy hill at the back of Macreddin.
    A local farmer was clearing a tree along this stretch and had the road almost blocked with branches and such. Not a problem at the slow speed I was trudging up the hill. Would have been a major issue if you were downhilling it and finding the road blocked.
    I'll add the climb segment to the cycling strava thread as no doubt the climbing purists would like a go at any new challenge.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/77084137

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

117km climbing over 1200m. Set out to do maybe 100km but flat and said feck it lets see where this road goes. Blacrock, Bray, Greystones, Rathnew, Glenealy, Ashford, Roundwood, Eniskerry and home.

A bit windy but did it at an average speed of over 27kph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Did a quick 50km spin. Didn't take a left where I was meant to so didn't do the full spin I wanted but got a few pb's and a top 10 so happy enough with it. Spilled down for the last 30mins.

Are waterproof jackets really waterproof or do they just not let as much water in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

just 30 miles on louth roads great day for it:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

Dart to Bray. Turn up the mountains at Kilmacanoge. Brought back memories of the Wicklow 200. Up to Roundwood, Laragh, stop for a coffee.

Then a left turn and 5km or so to get onto the road to Glenmalure -- where I saw "Hammer Time" painted on the road. More memories.
    Rest in the pub in Glenmalure there at the bottom of the hill (?), then up and over Glenmalure again, back to Laragh, Military road to Sally Gap and then most downhill back to the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

First Century! 162km @ 29,5kph: Dublin - Skryne - Navan - Kells - Athboy - Trim - Dublin

http://app.strava.com/activities/77350415

After cycling Wicklow mountains, northside feels too flat and bit boring TBH.

Passed multiple groups of riders around Trim - I guess there was some race? Kinda feeling awkward when everybody cycles in the other direction ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Did the Sean Kelly 100 and really enjoyed it. There were no killer hills, the scenery was great and the tae n sambos were lovely. The area around the Blackwater river was all manner of picturesque.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement