Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Did the Sean Kelly 160. A killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Power10

Did the Sean Kelly 160 too.. some tough climbs... the last 500m up Mahon Falls...seriously...!!! I thought my legs would explode ...
    A great cycle though and the wind stayed away for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

longshanks wrote: »
    Did the Sean Kelly 100 and really enjoyed it. There were no killer hills, the scenery was great and the tae n sambos were lovely. The area around the Blackwater river was all manner of picturesque.

Yeah the 100 was pretty flat all told. Will Deffo do the 160 next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

done lap the lough today, 137km in 5.04, would have liked to make it under the 5hr mark but still pleased with it

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

limerick, cratloe ,sixmilebridge,newmarket on fergus, shannon and all the way back to limerick 50.5 k.
    started back 4 weeks ago, first +50k ride, feel good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Cycled 70k on relatively flat ground , havent been on the bike for about a month, got home had a headache felt dizzy and nauseous , had a shower and straight to bed for a 2 hour sleep ! supposed to do a 100k in 2 weeks , never felt like this before hope its not a regular thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 idlebones

Did the Sean Kelly 100km today and enjoyed every minute of it. Was not particularly well prepared as have not had much chance to go out lately, but did do the Meath Heritage 100km in July. Hadn't done the Waterford tour before, but will be back next year. It's a great, fun route. No big killer hills, but a few drags if you haven't had much training under your belt. Well marshalled too. Only gripe I had was they screwed up the jersey sizes. The XL's were smaller then the Large size, so I ended up with a child's size jersey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Cycled 70k on relatively flat ground , havent been on the bike for about a month, got home had a headache felt dizzy and nauseous , had a shower and straight to bed for a 2 hour sleep ! supposed to do a 100k in 2 weeks , never felt like this before hope its not a regular thing :(

Hydration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah it sounds like you're just dehydrated. Drink lots of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 105km on Cork Kerry roads on Saturday at an average speed of 29km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Cycled around mayo on Saturday morning and fell off the bike for the first time.
    Sore elbow and scraped levers but I survived

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

The jersey thing at Sean Kelly is threatening to become an annual affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Hadn't been out in a few days so took the newer bike out for a wee spin (only into the bike a few months, baby steps).

Loop around by Blessington, can't argue with the views.

http://www.strava.com/activities/77472560

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

First time up to the mast at Kippure, nice going up but a bit rough coming back down it.

http://app.strava.com/activities/77099863

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just finished my second trip after a 10+ year period away from any form of cycling apart from some gym cycling on and off since March [nothing the last 6 weeks with holidays etc]
    First outing was Saturday 25k which had 5-6 moderate hills.
    Today was 34k with some steep but short climbs apart from one which was 2.5k with a 6-8% gradient ,it was tough but im delighted how i handled it and the trip overall.
    I wont be breaking any records but im more than happy, hope to see the excess lbs fall off soon :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice spin yesterday, Dublin to Wexford to drop into my Dads for a quick beer and then onto Dunmore East via the ferry and a few more beers at the bluegrass festival. 205k for the day and a fair few beers for the night, followed by a day of sailing and swimming with the family today. Great cycling with a light breeze on my back all day, first 182k in 7hrs30 which is the fastest I've managed that run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

smacl wrote: »
    Nice spin yesterday, Dublin to Wexford to drop into my Dads for a quick beer and then onto Dunmore East via the ferry and a few more beers at the bluegrass festival. 205k for the day and a fair few beers for the night, followed by a day of sailing and swimming with the family today. Great cycling with a light breeze on my back all day, first 182k in 7hrs30 which is the fastest I've managed that run.
    mega respect:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    done lap the lough today, 137km in 5.04, would have liked to make it under the 5hr mark but still pleased with it

i enjoyed ltl this year 4 hours 50 mins, seemed to miss all the queues almost identical to my 2011 time average 28.2km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

First time cycling into work.
    9km in and out.

Cycle in - 27mins
    Cycle home - 30 mins.

On the road bike & don't mind it, even with all the stopping etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

After about 7 months of cycling to work I had my first puncture this morning. Am I a real cyclist now? :P

At least I get to finally use that spare tube and pump I've been carrying around with me.
    First slim cycling into work.
    9km in and out.

Cycle in - 27mins
    Cycle home - 30 mins.

On the road bike & don't mind it, even with all the stopping etc.

Almost the exact same as my commute, with the in/out times reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

65 km and 830 metres of climbing - http://www.strava.com/activities/77744673

Out the R114 to Gortnum Cottages then along the Liffey and up to the Sally Gap - it's pretty gorgeous up there. All misty and quiet. Back home again via Featherbeds and Rathfarnam.

Longest ride I've done so far by almost 15km but a friend has convinced me to do the 105k Joe Loughman Randonee in 2 weeks so no harm getting a longer ride or two in before then. Feeling optimistic enough now - if I can do 65km and 830 metres of climbing on a snickers bar and some water then I'm sure I can do 105km and 1000 metres of climbing with the refreshments provided enroute and a 2nd snickers ;)

Have finally learned why road bikers remove their helmet visors - it gets in the way when you're in the drops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

quozl wrote: »
    65 km and 830 metres of climbing - http://www.strava.com/activities/77744673

Out the R114 to Gortnum Cottages then along the Liffey and up to the Sally Gap - it's pretty gorgeous up there. All misty and quiet. Back home again via Featherbeds and Rathfarnam.

Longest ride I've done so far by almost 15km but a friend has convinced me to do the 105k Joe Loughman Randonee in 2 weeks so no harm getting a longer ride or two in before then. Feeling optimistic enough now - if I can do 65km and 830 metres of climbing on a snickers bar and some water then I'm sure I can do 105km and 1000 metres of climbing with the refreshments provided enroute and a 2nd snickers ;)

Have finally learned why road bikers remove their helmet visors - it gets in the way when you're in the drops!

You are absolutely flying for someone that's only recently taken up cycling for the very first time! Keep it up, and join that club I was telling you about ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

J o e wrote: »
    After about 7 months of cycling to work I had my first puncture this morning. Am I a real cyclist now? :P

At least I get to finally use that spare tube and pump I've been carrying around with me.

Almost the exact same as my commute, with the in/out times reversed.

I just got my first puncture today aswell!
    I also had a nipple come off a spoke so needed that sorted too.

being a newb, I forgot my repair kit so had to get it fixed in town.
    Cycleways wouldnt do it for me but a sound lad in Bolton Cycles did it very quickly and was back on the road in no time.

Lesson learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Short run at lunchtime followed by this little loop this evening.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/77972119
    Short but very steep hill at Moyne in the middle there. Strava annoyingly calls it unnamed road - should be a way of renaming the hill to something more appropriate.
    P*ssed off to have to brake for traffic at one point and later near home realise I had stopped my watch, and not restarted, so my efforts at pushing hard up a last hill counted for nought :o
    Still, a nice evening for a cycle and a nice day's exercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Home late from work. Managed to get a quick 12k spin in. Managed 17th overall up Victoria road in Killiney on the new winter bike. http://www.strava.com/activities/78027858#1570474609

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

I just got my first puncture today aswell!
    I also had a nipple come off a spoke so needed that sorted too.

being a newb, I forgot my repair kit so had to get it fixed in town.
    Cycleways wouldnt do it for me but a sound lad in Bolton Cycles did it very quickly and was back on the road in no time.

Lesson learned.

The lads in cycleways are sound, but they're busy. Bolton lads seem real nice too

Yeah cycleways are going with an online booking system now for repairs, no walk in repairs anymore. Must be hectic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Yeah cycleways are going with an online booking system now for repairs, no walk in repairs anymore. Must be hectic.

It's still very bad form though not to fix a puncture for a cyclist that is stuck. I mean how long would it take them to whip out the old tube, stick in a new one a pump it up? Charge €10 for it and they make a small profit while assisting a cyclist and potential future customer who will spread the good word about their shop.

Hearing this story ensures that I will never give them custom.

veetwin wrote: »
    It's still very bad form though not to fix a puncture for a cyclist that is stuck. I mean how long would it take them to whip out the old tube, stick in a new one a pump it up? Charge €10 for it and they make a small profit while assisting a cyclist and potential future customer who will spread the good word about their shop.

In fairness it wasn't just a puncture, he said he needed a nipple replaced on the spoke as well which I know isn't a long job either, but it all adds up when you have a backlog and have promised a customer their bike for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Going into a bike shop to get a puncture done is last resort, shouldn't be on a bike if you cant change one for yourself. Aswel as forgetting your puncture repair kit..that shouldn't happen, simple as :)
    veetwin wrote: »

I doubt they will be too worried about that :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement