Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Zyzz wrote: »

I doubt they will be too worried about that :pac:

Probably not. I have only taken up cycling in the past year. However in that time I have easily spent over €2.5k on bikes and equipment. There are plenty other shops that would be happy with this custom and will fix a puncture when I'm stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

Had planned on doing a 70-80k spin yesterday evening but had changed my saddle but never greased the rails so the squeaking drove me nuts, turned back at Enniskerry and got a joint 10th out of 1644 cyclists, pretty chuffed with that.

http://app.strava.com/segments/kiltiernan-straight-3787705

A favorable tail wind and squeak induced rage helped I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Bad day on the bike today. Pushed myself a bit too hard and spent a good 5 minutes getting sick on the side of the road, all for a third best personal best on a short climb. I was very thirsty and very smelly after that.

Then, after a good 6 months of zero road incidents, had two different vehicles try to floor me at the same roundabout. On the approach to a roundabout, got bullied hard out of the way by a gas truck in the queue. Then once I got onto the roundabout, had a little heart-attack waiting to happen forget to give way to the right and drive at speed to within a foot of my left leg. Thanks mate. And I let so many people pull out onto the busy roads in town today too :(. No good deed goes unpunished.

Afternoon to forget. Headed home to watch telly and eat something. Carlton Kirby on the Vuelta will cheer me up, right?

http://www.strava.com/activities/78426432

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

got a great 40 miles done around the lanes of louth and meath.
    windy but warm super spin back to drogheda.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bad day on the bike today. Pushed myself a bit too hard and spent a good 5 minutes getting sick on the side of the road, all for a third best personal best on a short climb. I was very thirsty and very smelly after that.

Then, after a good 6 months of zero road incidents, had two different vehicles try to floor me at the same roundabout. On the approach to a roundabout, got bullied hard out of the way by a gas truck in the queue. Then once I got onto the roundabout, had a little heart-attack waiting to happen forget to give way to the right and drive at speed to within a foot of my left leg. Thanks mate. And I let so many people pull out onto the busy roads in town today too :(. No good deed goes unpunished.

Afternoon to forget. Headed home to watch telly and eat something. Carlton Kirby on the Vuelta will cheer me up, right?

http://www.strava.com/activities/78426432

Had a similar experience myself yesterday, the getting sick part.
    Pushed myself waaay too hard climbing a 2.6k hill gradiant of 7% , just pushed too hard.
    Aching legs and felt like puking for a good 5 mins, didnt actually puke but thats the closest ive come to it since i started back :P
    Had a 30 K route planned had to cut out the final 8k, thought id better listen to my body, sat out today too as behind the right knee is a tiny bit sore.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Had a similar experience myself yesterday, the getting sick part.
    Pushed myself waaay too hard climbing a 2.6k hill gradiant of 7% , just pushed too hard.
    Aching legs and felt like puking for a good 5 mins, didnt actually puke but thats the closest ive come to it since i started back :P
    Had a 30 K route planned had to cut out the final 8k, thought id better listen to my body, sat out today too as behind the right knee is a tiny bit sore.

I think I probably should've tried to cycle on rather than just stop dead at the top. Once I got over the top I just rolled along to a quiet spot and puked. I think if I'd try to keep spinning my legs I would've gotten away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

When you get to the top of a climb always keep your legs spinning for a while (in an easy gear), it'll help drain the lactic acid from your legs. You puke when you "stop", because your systemic clearance of lactic acid stops. :)

(well that's my understanding)

When you get to the top of a climb always keep your legs spinning for a while (in an easy gear), it'll help drain the lactic acid from your legs. You puke when you "stop", because your systemic clearance of lactic acid stops. :)

(well that's my understanding)

Maybe thats why i didnt puke, i kept spinning , but very slowly :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Did a new route tonight - a very hilly 34 kms.

I heard people here talk about Kilmashogue Lane off the Marley Park in Dublin, so I said I'd give it a go. The only thing notable about my ascent earlier was that at no time did I:
    • stop
    • do the WOS (Walk Of Shame)
    If I had premium Strava, I guess I'd be at the very top of the >70 years and/or >120Kgs leaderboards (not that I belong to either!), but I don't and my performance, eh, was at the other end of the list. But hey, I did it!

707 meters climbed over the distance with an average speed of
    LETS NOT GO THERE
    ;)

P.S. Forgot to bring my water, but was delighted when I saw a water fountain at the base of the hill on the way down (Google Maps link)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Going into a bike shop to get a puncture done is last resort, shouldn't be on a bike if you cant change one for yourself. Aswel as forgetting your puncture repair kit..that shouldn't happen, simple as :)

Was only my 3rd day cycling into work.
    Between bringing change of clothes, work stuff and just being new to the whole idea of not coming home immediately after a cycle, I forgot.

Gave it absolute woskey today going down mount merrion hill.
    Activated the traffic sensor at 64km/hr, probably the fastest ive ever gone on the bike

• Advertisement

Was only my 3rd day cycling into work.
    Between bringing change of clothes, work stuff and just being new to the whole idea of not coming home immediately after a cycle, I forgot.

Don't mind him, he's a genius. I never remembered my puncture kit cycling to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Gave it absolute woskey today going down mount merrion hill.
    Activated the traffic sensor at 64km/hr, probably the fastest ive ever gone on the bike

Haven't heard the word woskey in years :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

route66 wrote: »
    707 meters climbed over the distance with an average speed of
    LETS NOT GO THERE
    ;)

Was up there a couple of weeks ago, don't think I managed anything like that speed, old ladies on zimmer frames were tearing past me in a virtual blur. If you've got a bike with cross or knobbly tyres, cutting off at the carpark and taking the tracks to ticknock is a nice variation on the route.

Just back from a 32k spin and felt stronger than i did 6 days ago which was my first cycle in 10+ years.
    Backside is still sore but thats improving along with the fitness thank God.
    Clocked up 150k since last Saturday, not too bad for an ould lad --- i think!
    I must say 60-90 minutes over varying hills is a better workout than anything ive done in the gym,well lets just say it hurts more so that should be better for the fitness :P
    Plus when i hit the flat or downhills and really try to stretch the legs i can be quite fun indeed compared to the gym,despite getting drenched today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Just back from a 32k spin and felt stronger than i did 6 days ago which was my first cycle in 10+ years.
    Backside is still sore but thats improving along with the fitness thank God.
    Clocked up 150k since last Saturday, not too bad for an ould lad --- i think!
    I must say 60-90 minutes over varying hills is a better workout than anything ive done in the gym,well lets just say it hurts more so that should be better for the fitness :P
    Plus when i hit the flat or downhills and really try to stretch the legs i can be quite fun indeed compared to the gym,despite getting drenched today.

That is some going in a week after 10years out of the saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭mp2012

Finally managed to get up Mt. leinster to the Nine Stones from all three ways in a single cycle, from Corrabut Gap then from Knocksquire and then from Bunclody. Slow day on the climbs and a fair wind up later on but happy with it, the views up there as always are just great.

http://app.strava.com/activities/78689462

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

smacl wrote: »
    Was up there a couple of weeks ago, don't think I managed anything like that speed, old ladies on zimmer frames were tearing past me in a virtual blur. If you've got a bike with cross or knobbly tyres, cutting off at the carpark and taking the tracks to ticknock is a nice variation on the route.

The holder of the KOM is more than twice as fast as me. Twice ! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

http://www.strava.com/activities/78733498

So my tour of local routes and hill continues. Took in a hill on an unnamed road between Avoca and the Aughrim / Ballinaclash road. The hill is a toughy. Particularly this evening with a head wind into the face. The road condition is fairly crap too and I had to pull in to let tractors by as it was fairly narrow. My cyclocross doesn't have a great range of gears so I was struggling at times and I didn't have the benefit of clip in pedals. I was glad when the climb levelled out. A nice little loop overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Just under 90k starting Navan. Kentstown - Duleek -Julianstown - Laytown - Bettystown - Mornington - Drogheda - Donore - Slane - Kilberry - Silver Tankard - Ardbraccan and home. Big tailwind to Laytown, cross wind up the coast to Mornington and then agony for the next 30k+ into a fierce headwind. I died a thousand times between Mornington and Donore. Then into the wind up the hills at Ros na Ri, on to Wiggers X, Slane bridge and the long uphill drag from Slane Castle gate to Kilberry. Having the tailwind back for the last 6 or 8k was great. Average today was 27.9kph, not bad given the headwind at the hardest part of the route. And there were only 4 of us do everyone had a lot of work to do. Great morning though, really enjoyable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Last big cycle of the year. Took the scenic route (and got lost on the way to and the way back) to Electric Picnic and back. 218km with an average moving speed of just under 30kph.

http://www.strava.com/activities/78919256

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did the tour of Sliabh Luachra today. 1st year of this cycle. 110km distance. It was well organised and a great day out. It was tough cycle but enjoyed the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

Just in from a 239k spin. We call it the day of cycling which is in memory of Martin Connery who was a very active member of our club. Unusual format, 6 laps of a 25mile loop.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/368129071

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Good Sunday spin out over Seanafestin, amounting to 100k. Tough slog into the wind but caught the last group from Etape Connemara.

A bit of chain slap on a gear change and chain came off so I let the buddies off with the Etape group. Turns out the chain had jumped out of derailleur cage. How on earth did that happen??? Cage undamaged, but no room for a chain to come out, and certainly no room for it to go back in.

Whilst I fumbled for an allen key to open up cage and put the chain back, Gary from Moycullen Bike Works was out supporting the Etape, stopped and very kindly sorted it out in almost no time. Took 20k of the hardest solo cycling into a stiff wind and up the hill to chase down the friends who'd been gone 7 minutes.

The downwind spin back was a delight and almost made up for the painful miles into the wind.

A very big thanks to MBW.

Took an old buddy of mine out for his spin in ages, he's a powerlifter so not really cut out for much cycling. We cruised up the N11 and visited a gorgeous spot called St. David's Well. Fantastic place cycling, hilly with terrific roads and very well shaded by trees.

Dandered back home again down the N11, I dropped him off at the turn and planned to do maybe 30 minutes hard work by myself. Literally two minutes down the road, my first ever mid-ride puncture. Had all necessary equipment with me, so had it fixed in about 3-4 minutes. Nice day for a puncture, pleasant sunshine and nice thick grass to sit on. Putting the back wheel on...Er, something's missing. The non-opening end of my QR skewer had fallen off, somewhere in the dense grass that I had been leisurely fixing my puncture on. Shag.

Ten more minutes of nosing around the ground (didn't look quite so pro anymore), found the thing and went home.

http://www.strava.com/activities/79689382

Took an old buddy of mine out for his spin in ages, he's a powerlifter so not really cut out for much cycling. We cruised up the N11 and visited a gorgeous spot called St. David's Well. Fantastic place cycling, hilly with terrific roads and very well shaded by trees.

Dandered back home again down the N11, I dropped him off at the turn and planned to do maybe 30 minutes hard work by myself. Literally two minutes down the road, my first ever mid-ride puncture. Had all necessary equipment with me, so had it fixed in about 3-4 minutes. Nice day for a puncture, pleasant sunshine and nice thick grass to sit on. Putting the back wheel on...Er, something's missing. The non-opening end of my QR skewer had fallen off, somewhere in the dense grass that I had been leisurely fixing my puncture on. Shag.

Ten more minutes of nosing around the ground (didn't look quite so pro anymore), found the thing and went home.

http://www.strava.com/activities/79689382

Sounds like a lovely cycle.

Im nursing a sore backside,not skin irritation but more the bones in there.
    Looked up some advice online and bought a saddle with more padding.
    Sat out yesterday but finding it very hard to do so with that weather out there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I left from home with the sun, I passed through the fog in Passage and, arriving to the office I was pleased to discover that I'd broken the 30kph wall for the first time on my commute...

Lads help a noob out please, i couldnt resist that weather and decided to go out for a spin.
    12k into my spin i got a puncture and had to ring the wife, luckily she was on way home from work and could collect me.
    Now im raging i have no means of getting it repaired this evening,waste of a lovely evening.
    Think its time to sort myself with the required gear for said purpose,im so long out of the game im unsure whats best whats portable etc.
    Advice appreciated.

Lads help a noob out please, i couldnt resist that weather and decided to go out for a spin.
    12k into my spin i got a puncture and had to ring the wife, luckily she was on way home from work and could collect me.
    Now im raging i have no means of getting it repaired this evening,waste of a lovely evening.
    Think its time to sort myself with the required gear for said purpose,im so long out of the game im unsure whats best whats portable etc.
    Advice appreciated.

Well today I was carrying one spare inner tube, two tire levers and this mini pump. All of the above fit handily in my main jersey pocket with room for a multi tool. Normally though I use a saddlebag, which has room for all of the above plus a 2nd spare tube and a patch kit for emergencies and gives me back my jersey pocket for a jacket or food or whatever.

Some prefer C02 inflators and cartridges, they do take up less space than a good quality mini pump and inflate faster, but once you run out of cartridges you're stuck.

Regarding your saddle DCully, making sure you have good quality and well fitting shorts is the main bit of advice.

Sheldon Brown has a great article on saddles and saddle comfort. It's a great resource for pretty much any problem you encounter on the bike

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Where did this lovely day come from? A few days ago I had put on a base layer thinking the cold weather was upon us.

I headed out for some loops around my (very) usual routes. Set my best time and avg speed up cruagh road (just over 5:15 at 15km/h even) and went out by johnny foxes and back by the blue light, lamb doyles and the three rock inn (thank god for all these pubs to use as landmarks :pac:), then up cruagh road again (albeit a minute slower this time) and on to viewing point and back down by the hellfire club and set another personal best on mt venus road sprint (inching towards a top 20 for that one). It's mad to think at the beginning of june on my mountain bike I set a best time of 7:48 up Cruagh road and would have be gasping for air after it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement