Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Regarding your saddle DCully, making sure you have good quality and well fitting shorts is the main bit of advice.

Sheldon Brown has a great article on saddles and saddle comfort. It's a great resource for pretty much any problem you encounter on the bike

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Thanks for that mate, however those 12k today were without doubt the most comfy yet, the saddle is a San Marco a lot better than what comes with my Carrera TDF bike,shorts are decent quality too,all in all i had no pain at all this time, granted the spin was cut short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Did Maynooth, Dunboyne, Ratoath, Ashbourne Swords Balbriggan Drogheda today. Smashed most of my PB's from Maynooth to Swords and also my time from Balbriggan to Drogheda. Well happy with that spin today.

Thing the weather is meant to be like this until Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

quick spin the the park.
    get a bug in my eye somehow, get my ass slapped by some bro-dude hanging out a car window and almost get creamed by a black benz overtaking someone cycling uphill on a blind bend

at least the weather was nice!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Blow out, hard landing and then sliding into a car, not a good way to start the day

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 32 cool4cats17

Took part in the first annual Etape Connemara 150K Cycle on Sunday just gone, legs are still recovering :)

The event was well organised and the route around Connemara was idyllic on the day. I think this is going to become a big event in the future and can't wait for next year's event so I can try and beat my time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Office recently moved to eastpoint so my lunch time spin now is up the coast road around howth and back in. I have a new found respect for those that cycle this regularly as that's one hell of a wind that comes in off the coast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Blow out, hard landing and then sliding into a car, not a good way to start the day
    hope your not to sore is the bike ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

hope your not to sore is the bike ok.
    Bike looks cosmetic but need to take a look this evening.

I am sore and pretty stiff! but otherwise ok.

the car i hit, the lady got out and she freaked out she thought she'd run me over :eek: luckily things didnt go like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Office recently moved to eastpoint so my lunch time spin now is up the coast road around howth and back in. I have a new found respect for those that cycle this regularly as that's one hell of a wind that comes in off the coast!

Yep, it's only a matter of time before wind turbines appear in Clontarf to harness the energy from that wind! :rolleyes:
    Bike looks cosmetic but need to take a look this evening.

I am sore and pretty stiff! but otherwise ok.

the car i hit, the lady got out and she freaked out she thought she'd run me over :eek: luckily things didnt go like that

Sounds like a close one - glad you're ok!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time spin up Cruagh and up the Military road a bit. Packed on a few extra pounds in the last number of months and really feeling the climbing as a result, though the descending almost makes it worthwhile, 64kph coming back down which is fast by my standards. Bike let me know it not received enough tlc of late as I managed to know the chain of on the Ballyboden roundabout while eyeballing a crash on the far side. Lube, clean and tune up tonight I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

just in from a lovely 36 miler very windy but man this weather would do your heart good ,now if only we could get rid of fecken traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

In addition to my usual stuff, I decided "sure why not see what the military road is like" before heading back, so turned at viewing point and headed up about 3.5km, realising on the way out and back that I've been spoilt by all the relatively shielded roads I've been travelling on. I previously thought I was quite a stable cyclist, but there's no hiding from the wind up there! Work will have to be done on that :D

hueylewis wrote: »
    In addition to my usual stuff, I decided "sure why not see what the military road is like" before heading back, so turned at viewing point and headed up about 3.5km, realising on the way out and back that I've been spoilt by all the relatively shielded roads I've been travelling on. I previously thought I was quite a stable cyclist, but there's no hiding from the wind up there! Work will have to be done on that :D

Wasn't anywhere near as windy as it gets today, but that section after the wooded area by the viewing point is pretty exposed and can get dodgy descending at speed in the wind. Once you get passed the ramp after L.Bray onto the higher ground it gets windier still, and the descent towards L.Bray has a corner that needs to be taken carefully in the wind. After that it's all just slog, though flying along the Military road with the wind at your back can be a real joy!

smacl wrote: »
    Wasn't anywhere near as windy as it gets today, but that section after the wooded area by the viewing point is pretty exposed and can get dodgy descending at speed in the wind. Once you get passed the ramp after L.Bray onto the higher ground it gets windier still, and the descent towards L.Bray has a corner that needs to be taken carefully in the wind. After that it's all just slog, though flying along the Military road with the wind at your back can be a real joy!

Yeah that's what took me by surprise. It was (seemingly) relatively calm everywhere else, but coming out of that little tunnel of trees was a bit of a shock. Can't imagine what it'll be like on blustery days during the coming winter months.

Can't imagine what it'll be like on blustery days during the coming winter months.

Great fun, if a wee bit mental. Well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Well... Today I rode that what I rarely drive in a day :)
    105k with 3 short breaks for a refreshment. A bit sore now.
    Happy, as I have promised to do a 100k cycle for charity back in may and missed it due to a back injury... Feel soo relieved now.
    I bit of struggle between 60 and 85th, strong head wind in places. Still managed to do it in 4.45h.
    Now off to rest on the sofa and my dog lies on my legs... Probably he feels how tired they are lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Few of us headed out and did the Memory Tour just outside Cork today. A splendid spin out through Dripsey - Coachford and back in the main Cork to Macroom road. Only 63 Km mostly flat on a decent September day. A very good turnout for a worthy cause. Worst part was the slurry lorry that was over loaded and "depositing" it's load everywhere, but we took evasive action so the journey home was odour free :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Myself and the missus did most of the Western Greenway today, Achill to Newport, just over 30k in the driving rain. We'll come back when it's fine, trust us to give it a go 2 days after the weather breaks :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

A week of firsts for me. First 80k group cycle to start it off. Really enjoyed this and looking forward to signing up to a few more sportives. First week to cycle over 200k and finally but unfortunately had my first fall. Few marks, cuts and bruises but thankfully nothing broken...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

Did the Joe Loughman Randonee today. Have to say it was quite tough! I did the Wicklow 100 and Tour of Kildare this summer, but found this sportif the toughest. Not a huge number of entrants - maybe 100. Also, not a mass start, which I was a bit disappointed by. Have to say the tea stop a 65km was most welcome and comprised a great variety of offerings plus copious amounts on tea. Thanks to the volunteers/organisers.

Slogged around at an average speed of 20 kmph.

• Advertisement

Mixed spin up from Duncannon to Rathfarnham yesterday. About 5k in I heard a grinding noise from the left shifter moving into the big ring, and found myself reduced from 27 gears down to 9 gears for the first 80k. Not the prettiest combinations either, as I found going up the Kilcavan gap in 53/28 with rather distressed noises coming from both the bike and myself. Just as I was planning to take off the front DR around Aughrim, another set of clicking noises issued from the left shifter, and I had most of my gears back again, so headed for Laragh, a coffee break and the sally gap. Very tired coming out of Ballinaclash to Rathdrum, and then started getting random leg cramps between Rathdrum and Laragh. Heard a 'hi boardsie' in the middle of one of these, lifted a hand to wave a response, and narrowly avoided going into the bushes. Coffee and almond cake in the hippy cafe, and all was well with the world once more. Had all the low gears I needed for the hills, breezed up Glenmacnass in a very relaxed 30/25, sun shining, birds twittering and the river in spate looking suitably dramatic. Uneventful trip from there on apart from dropping the chain in the featherbeds. 174k in 7hr45 door to door, for a 22.5kph average, 24kph rolling. Chapeau to all you bad asses that can manage long distances and hills single speed, well beyond my ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I did the Joe Loughman Randonee as well. Found it enjoyable but for me pretty tough.

The first 80k was moderately tough as I was keeping up with a friend who is a stronger cyclist than me but I really started crashing after the Shay Elliot and the long drag back around the old long hill was pretty painful. My previous longest was a 70k the week before so it was tough :)

Managed 23kph over 108.8km (the extra 3 km is to the DART train) and 1,700m of climbing. The strava climbing figure is about 400 more than the mapmyride of that loop, so I don't know which to trust. I'm of course going with the Strava figure as it's bigger ;)
    http://www.strava.com/activities/80981341

I got a hello from someone who recognised the bike I built and asked how it was holding together! A boardsie I assume but they disappeared into the distance up-hill fairly quickly - I was already in a moderately uncomfortable place by that stage ;)

Highlight of the day had to be my mate killing himself up one of the climbs to keep up with a group of Bray Wheelers, getting off at the top to piss, passing out and coming-to almost immediately in the ditch. Oops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Did the Joe Loughman also, enjoyed it alot. Some nice climbs along the way, I much prefer climbing than descending, some of the roads on downhill sections were in shocking condition., but thankfully the rain held off.
    Left my group on the Shay Elliott climb and pushed on, thought I was going well until I got passed by the Bray Wheelers train between Laragh and R'wood, didn't even attempt to grab a wheel, they were motoring.

Food was savage at the stop before Shay Elliott, especially the egg sandwiches on brown, however back at the finish -
    oj275.jpg

First full-length commute today, Clane into Ringsend, 35k. Tour de France it ain't but after going from pies to the bike 3 months ago it's not something I ever thought I'd do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭The Mulk

gerrowadat wrote: »
    First full-length commute today, Clane into Ringsend, 35k. Tour de France it ain't but after going from pies to the bike 3 months ago it's not something I ever thought I'd do.

Well done, how long did it take you.

I'm psyching myself up to do a Celbridge to Baggot St trip, I have the bike about a month now.

The Mulk wrote: »
    Well done, how long did it take you.

I'm psyching myself up to do a Celbridge to Baggot St trip, I have the bike about a month now.

Just under 90m. Went through celbridge actually, so it shouldn't take you much more than an hour, and downhill most of the way. No worse than the bus or car on a bad day :-)

http://www.strava.com/activities/81206066

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭The Mulk

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Just under 90m. Went through celbridge actually, so it shouldn't take you much more than an hour, and downhill most of the way. No worse than the bus or car on a bad day :-)

http://www.strava.com/activities/81206066

Thanks for that, that's a great achievement in 3 months,

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

quozl wrote: »
    I did the Joe Loughman Randonee as well. Found it enjoyable but for me pretty tough.

The first 80k was moderately tough as I was keeping up with a friend who is a stronger cyclist than me but I really started crashing after the Shay Elliot and the long drag back around the old long hill was pretty painful. My previous longest was a 70k the week before so it was tough :)

Managed 23kph over 108.8km (the extra 3 km is to the DART train) and 1,700m of climbing. The strava climbing figure is about 400 more than the mapmyride of that loop, so I don't know which to trust. I'm of course going with the Strava figure as it's bigger ;)
    http://www.strava.com/activities/80981341

I got a hello from someone who recognised the bike I built and asked how it was holding together! A boardsie I assume but they disappeared into the distance up-hill fairly quickly - I was already in a moderately uncomfortable place by that stage ;)

Highlight of the day had to be my mate killing himself up one of the climbs to keep up with a group of Bray Wheelers, getting off at the top to piss, passing out and coming-to almost immediately in the ditch. Oops!

Noticed the same on Strava. Not sure why the conflicting figures. It definitely felt like 1,700m climbing to me.

+1 on your highlight of the day!

PB descent speed coming down off Ballinastoe (72 kph) helped me get through the last few kms to Bray

Headed out to Kilternan via Cruagh and Johnny Foxes, then up to Stepaside, turned up Slate Cabin Lane and back to Johnny Foxes via the Blue Light, then back by Cruagh to Viewing Point and back home. Set several top 10s involving Slate Cabin Lane, and a bunch of PRs, but was put in my place at the foot of the descent from Viewing Point where I was overtaken handily by a gentleman in a Cornflakes jersey.

Edit: Forgot about this - saw a deer at the left side of the dark and windy bit of road before the first bridge of the Cruagh road ascent. Heard a car coming behind me, so turned to face them and held up my hand to warn them. Apparently me staring back and my outstretched arm with palm facing the car made them think I was waving them on, so the car sped up and overtook me. The deer (about 30m ahead of them) sprints across from left to right and hops into the ditch, the elderly overtaker not reducing speed at all. Don't know how, but it's almost as if he never saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Headed out to Kilternan via Cruagh and Johnny Foxes, then up to Stepaside, turned up Slate Cabin Lane and back to Johnny Foxes via the Blue Light, then back by Cruagh to Viewing Point and back home. Set several top 10s involving Slate Cabin Lane, and a bunch of PRs, but was put in my place at the foot of the descent from Viewing Point where I was overtaken handily by a gentleman in a Cornflakes jersey.

Edit: Forgot about this - saw a deer at the left side of the dark and windy bit of road before the first bridge of the Cruagh road ascent. Heard a car coming behind me, so turned to face them and held up my hand to warn them. Apparently me staring back and my outstretched arm with palm facing the car made them think I was waving them on, so the car sped up and overtook me. The deer (about 30m ahead of them) sprints across from left to right and hops into the ditch, the elderly overtaker not reducing speed at all. Don't know how, but it's almost as if he never saw it.

Oh dear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement