Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Bought myself one of those tdf road bikes from halfords Aug just gone,
    first time out on a road bike in over 20yrs. So on 8th of Aug my first spin i did 10.5km took me 32mins just to see how the bike felt, i was bolloxed lol,

Have been out now 6 time's since doing about 20k each time which takes me about an hr, and yesterday did 30km took me 1h 20m, not bad for an out of shape 39 year old, mostly cycling around Kilcock/Rathcoffey/Donadea area, happy with my progress for now just trying to get the milage in and get fitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Bought myself one of those tdf road bikes from halfords Aug just gone,
    first time out on a road bike in over 20yrs. So on 8th of Aug my first spin i did 10.5km took me 32mins just to see how the bike felt, i was bolloxed lol,

Have been out now 6 time's since doing about 20k each time which takes me about an hr, and yesterday did 30km took me 1h 20m, not bad for an out of shape 39 year old, mostly cycling around Kilcock/Rathcoffey/Donadea area, happy with my progress for now just trying to get the milage in and get fitter.

Good on ya. I'm cycling out of Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

I had a right hopper coming down Gallows hill last Thursday evening. It was my first spin up a hill in years ,I crested the hill and let the bike fly, I thought I was a young fellow again, I was going way too fast on a rough very narrow piece of road and hit a stone, straight away I heard the hiss from my front tyre OH SH1T !!.
    There was nowhere to go I was going 40+ km/h and couldn't steer. I saw my maker coming to meet me as I slammed on the brakes, I hit the ditch and went straight over the bars landing on my head (believe it or not I had been thinking of not taking my helmet because it was a nice evening,). Funnily enough I quickly climbed out of the ditch and got back on the road embarrased in case someone might see me !, worst case scenario another cyclist pitying my poor bike handling skills. I was dazed for about 5/10 minutes but other than a pain in my neck and back and plenty of grazing on my hands and legs I was fine. I realized it was getting a bit chilly so I changed the tube straightened up one of the brake levers and headed home.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just back form a wet 39k spin average 24.8 kmph and feel good.
    This Friday ill be back in the saddle 3 weeks after over 10 years off a bike,ill be 42 in 6 weeks time :o clocked up just shy of 450 k averaging 24-26 kmph according to my app,decent amount of hills out my way too.
    Getting concerned that im not shedding the pounds, infact ive put up 3 pounds :eek:
    Like the chap above im also using halfords carrera TDF bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Dcully wrote: »
    This Friday ill be back in the saddle 3 weeks after over 10 years off a bike,ill be 42 in 6 weeks time :o clocked up just shy of 450 k averaging 24-26 kmph according to my app,decent amount of hills out my way too.
    Getting concerned that im not shedding the pounds, infact ive put up 3 pounds :eek:

Reward eating?

Cycling burns calories but the temptation is to use that to justify dietary excess.

Are you sure the extra weight is fat? After an injury like yours and the sort of limited range training you get using gym machines I'd imagine you're rebuilding quite a lot of muscle tissue.

• Advertisement

Reward eating?

Cycling burns calories but the temptation is to use that to justify dietary excess.

Are you sure the extra weight is fat? After an injury like yours and the sort of limited range training you get using gym machines I'd imagine you're rebuilding quite a lot of muscle tissue.

Thanks for that.
    Nah no reward eating in fairness.
    The wife reckons im toning up,i doubt the extra weight is fat, it couldnt be? well i hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

What does your diet look like?!

Zyzz wrote: »
    What does your diet look like?!

Breakfast - porridge every morning

Lunch - low Gi bread 2-3 slices with tuna or 4-5 wheat crispbread crackers
    Might have weight watchers beans on the Gi bread toasted if im home,sometimes those pasta/tuna lunch yokes with peppers etc
    Usually a banana or apple also for lunch.

Dinner - usually along the lines of spuds or pasta with your typical meats,chicken,pork chops,minced beef sometimes also carrots,peas,cabbage,turnip.

Weekends we usually get a takeaway on Saturday night ,its the only real reward.
    I have zero alcohol intake,usually water 90% of the time or maybe a diet coke or pepsi max at the weekend,dont drink tea or coffee.

I dont think its a terrible diet,not perfect for sure either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Breakfast - porridge every morning

Lunch - low Gi bread 2-3 slices with tuna or 4-5 wheat crispbread crackers
    Might have weight watchers beans on the Gi bread toasted if im home,sometimes those pasta/tuna lunch yokes with peppers etc
    Usually a banana or apple also for lunch.

Dinner - usually along the lines of spuds or pasta with your typical meats,chicken,pork chops,minced beef sometimes also carrots,peas,cabbage,turnip.

Weekends we usually get a takeaway on Saturday night ,its the only real reward.
    I have zero alcohol intake,usually water 90% of the time or maybe a diet coke or pepsi max at the weekend,dont drink tea or coffee.

I dont think its a terrible diet,not perfect for sure either.

Not an expert by any means, but you seem to have a low fat diet and are chossing some foods marketed in that way, weight watchers etc. To mine mind it's a con.
    I have never had any issues with weight, no matter how much or little I exercise. Then again everyone is different.
    Have a read of the "I've joined a cult" thread in training logs for an alternative
    view to low fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭nilhg

Early days yet to be worrying about the weight not coming off, I find that after a hard spin I'll put up weight as the muscles take on extra fluids to help with repair, it disappears after a few days, if you were a bit unfit starting off I'd imagine something similar is happening with you, you're clocking up a good few kms for someone just starting off/back on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'd say dont make the mistake of eating too much on the bike. Realistically if you're on the bike for less than two hours then you don't need any food, maybe a banana. I see lads tucking into energy bars on short spins, not needed.
    If you do feel you need something then try and ween yourself off food gradually (you never want to meet the man with the hammer obviously) but you want to start burning fat

No food for me when on the bike,90 mins to 2hour spins for me and as you say not needed

Have you done measurements on some areas to see if there has been a reduction. Your muscles would be building up and muscle is heavier than fat.

As an aside I was up behind Blessington today and boy did I get soaked by the mist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

What a lovely day for a spin. Left Navan by the Windtown Road (mind the rough spots), on to Oristown, across to Carlanstown, into Moynalty, back to Kells and then back to Navan via Cortown and Bohermeen. Around 50k with a nice little helping light breeze all the way home from Kells. Moynalty was full of people, it won the National Tidy Town award earlier in the week. Packed with cars and even a few buses. Ice cream was selling well in the local shop. Would have stopped for a coffee in the little coffee shop but it was packed. Good on them..

Well i had a mixed two days , yesterday was terrible but today very enjoyable.
    Yesterday i pushed myself waaaay too hard over a 40k spin,pushed the whole way as best i could.
    About 3k from home i went by a field with a tractor spraying something and got a bit of a splash from it in the face as he was right up against the ditch , havent a clue what it was i just kept pushing as hard as possible.
    Got home eyes went all red and puffy and stinging a lot so i washed them out asap which helped but 15 mins or so after getting home i was in the bathroom puking violently for a good 5 minutes, man it was rough.
    I ended up in the bed for 2 hours feeling flu like.
    Ive put it down to pushing myself waay to hard [big lesson learned] maybe i drank too much fluid also [judging by what came out lol]and maybe whatever that tractor was spraying?

Either way i went out this evening after the Vuelta for a nice 24k spin and took it a lot easier, what a joy it was, thoroughly enjoyed it with that lovely evening :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Did my first Clane->Ringsend commute yesterday both ways, so 70km altogether. Was going to take today as a rest day but couldn't bring myself to waste the sunshine, did a quick 20k spin around some back roads on the road bike (which I need to get out on more!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just cycled into work and had to wear tights and overshoes for the first time in months as its cold and raining in Zurich. I need new mudguards and a decent front light..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

First ever Road spin on Friday on a new bike. 43km, Celbridge to Clane, Kilcock, Maynooth, Leixlip back to Celbridge. Very enjoyable and much easier on a road bike than the 150mm Enduro bike I was using for road spins!

Did Maynooth to Enfield return today. Really was a cycle of two halves. First into the wind and the return with the wind on my back. 280km for the week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

80km along the Danube in Budapest on a hybrid. Nice tan to go with it as well!

Stopped off in a nice coffee shop until the KGB kicked us out when some Chinese diplomats came

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

Didn't manage to get out. Too busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Really cold @ 6am this morning. Nearly time for the thermals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Cycled from Westport to achill and back yesterday, great scenery there, 84 Km's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Cycled to work today

5.2k in 9 minutes :) legs feeling very fresh for some bad weather training

will give a good 2 hours on the turbo this evening if these winds continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Cycled from Westport to achill and back yesterday, great scenery there, 84 Km's

I did it the other way around earlier this summer, great place to ride a bike :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

cycled out to Bray after work last night, despite the rain - there was no wind so I was happy to be cycling.
    Took in as much of the misty coastraod as possible.
    Booterstown, Seapoint Ave, up by the 40ft and down the little hill by the Martello tower, down past Bullock harbour, Collimore rd - seeing Kiliney hill in the heavy mist was like looking at a piece of art.
    Up Kiliney hill, down Kiliney hill (didn't really enjoy that in the rain) out through Shankill (where someone opened their car door right in front of me, I was slow enough in that traffic to avoid nasty fall - they got heavily sworn at), Bray head looked spectacular too.
    Great cycle, 65k total by the time I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Went up Kilmashogue lane for the first time, at the start of my spin and without any real warming up. Got 2km up before questioning why I even bother riding a damn bike, stopped at some barns where the road just seemed to double in steepness and headed back down to continue my normal spin. I'm not the worst climber in the world, but I'm not good at pushing up a long steep hill (even if it's a very low gear - my lowest in fact), and I just couldn't get into a decent rhythm. Usually my legs give up long before my lungs, but everything gave up at the same time today. Much prefer to be spinning a high cadence up a hill, and I'm now thinking hard about going for a stupidly large ring in the back on my next bike. Or, y'know, I could try build up some strength :rolleyes:

On the bright side, I continued on my normal spin and crept into the top 50 with a new PR on the 4.5km tibradden/glencullen segment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

hueylewis wrote: »
    Went up Kilmashogue lane for the first time, at the start of my spin and without any real warming up. Got 2km up before questioning why I even bother riding a damn bike, stopped at some barns where the road just seemed to double in steepness and headed back down to continue my normal spin. I'm not the worst climber in the world, but I'm not good at pushing up a long steep hill (even if it's a very low gear - my lowest in fact), and I just couldn't get into a decent rhythm. Usually my legs give up long before my lungs, but everything gave up at the same time today. Much prefer to be spinning a high cadence up a hill, and I'm now thinking hard about going for a stupidly large ring in the back on my next bike. Or, y'know, I could try build up some strength :rolleyes:

On the bright side, I continued on my normal spin and crept into the top 50 with a new PR on the 4.5km tibradden/glencullen segment.
    dont feel to bad hills are for goats not cyclists.i'll only climb a hill if i really have to.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

hueylewis wrote: »

I did that hill a few weeks ago (link to post) - it's a tough one! The trick for me was to just ignore all the negative messages coming from various parts of your body. You know, the ones that are telling you to stop or you will die a horrible death.

Seriously though, it just seemed to go on for ever. And ever. And ever ...

BTW, My lowest gear is 34 X 27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

.Moved to more appropriate section

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement