Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

60km today. Some change from the last cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

75km total today, in and out to work. Not going to be doing this every day for a while, but hopefully I won't be long dropping the weight I need to get up knockmaroon hill without the walk of shame :-)

http://www.strava.com/activities/83203711
    http://www.strava.com/activities/83318332

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

First HC climb (according to strava) on 65km spin in Sicily.
    18.5km climb 6.5% average. Not brutal but tough all the same.
    Rented a pinarello fp2 with veloce. Nice bike very quick on descents.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Exactly 4 weeks back cycling and done a 51k spin today, some tough climbs in there too.
    Felt great afterwards, not a bead of sweat just tired thigh muscles,delighted with that progress after 10+ years off any form of bike.
    Took it easy after last weeks bout of puking but managed average of 23kmph which is good for me considering the climbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Got a 201 km ride in today averaging 24.7 in 8hrs 10mins with 1,700 metres elevation.

Rush - Dublin-Blessington-Wicklow Gap-Laragh-Glenmacnass-Sally Gap-Glencree-Devil's Elbow-Glencullen-Dublin-Sutton-Baldoyle-Portmarnock-Malahide-Rush

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

Nice spin today, castleknock-dunboyne-summerhill-kilcock-maynooth-lucan castleknock finished with a lap of the park. Wore 3 layers, underestimated just how warm it was. Lovely day for a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Got a 201 km ride in today averaging 24.7 in 8hrs 10mins with 1,700 metres elevation.

Rush - Dublin-Blessington-Wicklow Gap-Laragh-Glenmacnass-Sally Gap-Glencree-Devil's Elbow-Glencullen-Dublin-Sutton-Baldoyle-Portmarnock-Malahide-Rush

Jeez, that's some performance. How many food stops did you have, on a trip like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Maynooth, Celbridge, Newcastle, Athgoe, Kilteel, Blessington, Kill, Straffan, Maynooth, Kilcock, Enfield, Maynooth. Was fierce warm out there today. Averaged 28kmph for that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

First time over sallys gap today,
    up Blessington Rd ,past kilbride down old military Rd into Laragh, home via round wood,got lost a wee bit
    Ended up doing 112k,not my longest cycle but definitely the toughest

Had to stop on the last km climb up to the crossroad up the gap,ran out of steam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

outfox wrote: »
    Jeez, that's some performance. How many food stops did you have, on a trip like that?
    Sandwich in Blessington, soup in Laragh and an ice-cream at Blake's Cross (Lusk) with a couple of gels along the way also. (It's just occurred to me that Laragh to Lusk was a long way to go without a break).

I was feeling lazy and didn't really exert myself at all which explains the low average (except for the Devil's Elbow where exertion is required to prevent falling over!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Scrumdog

Did 53k around garristown, naul , bellewstown and ardcath. Fairly lumpy but got through it. I had my a nice Dublin flag attached to my helmet for the craic. Got great response from cars and people on the road . Might even do it again tomorrow for an hour or so before heading to croke park. Up the dubs !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Took a stab at the 100k today after last weeks 83k PB. I failed. I haven't been on the bike all week and my legs felt as stiff as the wind all the way to Blessington at 21kph. Headed west to Naas for some wind relief and then N7 with the wind at my back to Dublin was welcome (not exactly cycle friendly is it?). Ran out of custard-creams and cheese sambos at Saggart and legs complained hard from then on. I could have got to 100k with another 30-40mins but was already 45mins late and felt busted up Cardiffsbridge hill so I settled for 93.7k. The 100 will have to wait. I'll need more than 7 biscuits and a bowl of weetbisks. Not bad for a fat bloke though.

http://www.strava.com/activities/83923128

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Blow out, hard landing and then sliding into a car, not a good way to start the day

to add to this a couple of weeks back, i crashed earlier through my own fault (not paying enough attention to the terrain in front of me) came down hard, wrecked my flipping garmin and handle bars are all messed up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rathfarnham-Sallygap-Laragh-Sallygap-Rathfarnham this morning, great to be back in the shorts and t-shirt if only for a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

done my usual route around the boyne valley newgrange/ dowth/ slane/ rossnaree/ donore /drogheda..super spin but me little legs were like lead so i had no choice but to take it easy, home now to watch dublin get there arse kicked.
    come on cork.:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Celbridge to Clane to Sallins to Straffan to Celbridge. Sun beaming and countryside smells of ****e. What more could ya want?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Took part in my first ever event yesterday, The Equinox Charity Cycle. 52 of us left Howth at 7.30 yesterday morning and arrived exactly 12 hours later in Kinvara, 230km. To say it was one of the best days of my life would be true, one of the best organized events Id say you could get. We covered the full distance and didn't have to clip out ONCE except at our designated stopping points!!1
    I'm only cycling since January and my longest ever ride had been 107km so I blitzed that :) Managed to lead the group for a while as well which was a great kick.
    Body and spirit is feeling perfect today, just wished I could have cycled back to Dublin today ;)
    It's onwards and upwards from this point forth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Did Autumn Leaves Sportive in Athlone: did 138 km in just over 4.5 hours; beautiful day & thanks to all who helped to organise it!
    Met 'The Real Badger' who was wearing a Boards Jersey...

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Did my first 50k today. Celbridge to Straffan, Kill, Johnstown, Naas, Carragh, Clane and back to Celbridge. Heat was unreal, a beautiful day for it. Legs are giving out now though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Foggy around dublin this morning. All along the coast from Ballsbridge to Dalkey and a good bit inland. Be safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

today was uneventful commute d7 to maynooth

sunday was a monster, at least from my point of view.
    had intended to do a 60k or so up the mountains and maybe stop somewhere for the 2nd half. d7 - rathfarham - cruach (nearly died on that - i milled up it and paid the price) - military rd - laragh (where a puncture changed my day) - wicklow gap - blessington - tallagh - d7. 120k 1500m

mostly the flat made me paranoid as i climbed out of glendalough, but the HTFU and 53x11 on the road kept me smilin.

was a bit ropey coming out of blessington since it was almost 7pm and i had no lights. good day tho, and well pleased.

now if only i could get that creaking sound fully taken care of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭secman

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Celbridge to Clane to Sallins to Straffan to Celbridge. Sun beaming and countryside smells of ****e. What more could ya want?!

A clane & prosperous girl on the crossbar ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

70 minutes on the bike very late last night, half on lit and half unlit roads. It was a warm evening and no wind and perfect for cycling. Not many cars about and all but one gave me plenty of room. Road surface was good enough to give it stick and managed to avoid the few potholes that flashed by in the narrow light beam.

Having lived an urban life since college it was the first time in decades to be out making country miles with just bike lights to see by and it was a pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

What a disaster, got a puncture less than 5 minutes into the commute, took 20 minutes to get the tyre changed, 5 minutes from work started to notice a wobble, dismounted and saw the same tyre had now ripped! So much for the pro service reliability!!! Raging and going back to heavy clinchers! Not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

BrianjG wrote: »
    What a disaster, got a puncture less than 5 minutes into the commute, took 20 minutes to get the tyre changed, 5 minutes from work started to notice a wobble, dismounted and saw the same tyre had now ripped! So much for the pro service reliability!!! Raging and going back to heavy clinchers! Not impressed.

How? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Zyzz wrote: »

6am in the dark, torch in the mouth and in a temper!

sometimes it can take a while. Cold hands are killer for changing tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Takes me half an hour to change my Armadillos. They are pretty bulletproof, so I hardly ever get a puncture, but when I do.....christ....they are unyielding. Half an hour of swearing and I am normally covered in sweat when I am done. I walked the bike over 2 miles in the morning a few weeks ago just to delay the process and do it after work in the bike shed rather than on the side of the street

Bike shop staff must have popeye thumbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Had a flat tyre this morning when i went to go for a spin, pumped it and when I sat on it outside the valve blewout. Anyway changed the tube and headed off. Wasn't gone 3km when hiss. Changed it and continued on praying that I wouldn't get another as I had no tubes left then!! I seem to get 'issues' in batches. Had none for ages then had two punctures in one spin a few months back and then nothing again until today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Takes me half an hour to change my Armadillos. They are pretty bulletproof, so I hardly ever get a puncture, but when I do.....christ....they are unyielding. Half an hour of swearing and I am normally covered in sweat when I am done. I walked the bike over 2 miles in the morning a few weeks ago just to delay the process and do it after work in the bike shed rather than on the side of the street

Bike shop staff must have popeye thumbs

That they most certainly do. I've pretty much given up on extreme puncture protection tires like Armadillos and Gatorskins for basically this reason. On Zaffiro Pros at the moment and I still rarely get punctures (maybe one every 4,000 km, I cycle only in the country rather than city though) and when I do, it's totally painless to repair, a ten minute job. Plus the tires are much cheaper and have a much better ride quality than Gatorskins (have never used Armadillos).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement