Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Some very fast folk out on Clontarf this morning - two guys flew by me. Said to myself they're only doing intervals, I'll probably catch them later along the road. Not a chance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Getting used to the dark wet mornings. Was on the road at 5:20 to do just over 40km. Beginning to see the same faces at the sames spots that I am now exchanging pleasantries with people as I huff and puff my way around my litle circuit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well that was eventful , 47.5 k lots of climbing [well for my level atleast :)]
    Monasterevin-Portlaoise-Stradbally-Vicarstown-Kildangan-Monasterevin
    Bloody saddle came loose just as i got to Portlaoise. Motorway maintenance guys got me going after 20 mins trying to locate a set of allen keys. From there to Stradbally wasnt easy, wind in the face and all up hill for 7k,forgot about ploughing championships so had lots of trucks leaving the area.
    Lovely cycle in great weather with a side on wind from Stradbally to Vicarstown before hitting busy roads once again.
    That was the least of my worries as a fecking Rottweiler burst through a fence to chase me woke me up from my slumber near Vicarstown :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

70km spin.

Stillorgan -City centre - Sutton - Howth - Portmarnock - Malahide - City Centre - Stillorgan.

Lots of hills, finding them tough at 100kg tbh.
    could do with dropping some timber.

max speed 60.5km/hr.

I joined the Boards Strava club aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

About 6km on a Dublin Bike - forgot how much work they were if you're in a hurry. Although quite pleasant at a more sedate pace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

godtabh wrote: »
    Getting used to the dark wet mornings. Was on the road at 5:20 to do just over 40km. Beginning to see the same faces at the sames spots that I am now exchanging pleasantries with people as I huff and puff my way around my litle circuit.

Fair play. I've got lazy since it got darker, and am missing the early morning spins. Must try Cruagh / Military road in the dark one of these morning, though somewhat nervous of dark descents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

86km today in just under 3 hours, Meath to Westmeath, on to Offaly and then Kildare and finally back to Meath. More specifically: Summerhill, Rathmolyon, Clonard, Kinnegad, Edenderry, Carbury, Enfield, Kilcock, Summerhill. Note to self: carry more Jelly Babies in future.
    I passed a guy on a mountain bike with a 2 stroke engine just outside Enfield, brought a smile to my face :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice loop this morning in south Wicklow from Aughrim to Tinahely to Hacketstown and through Knockananna and home,wearing the pink boards gear. Rolling time just over 90 mins. Mountains looked lovely on the near horizon. Lots of cyclists approaching Aughrim from Tinahely in an organised cycle of some description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Not too pleased with my spin today. My first time back in the saddle for nearly 2 weeks, so I suppose that's not exactly a recipe for success. Felt fatigued at the start as I often do, but my legs never really woke up. Had intended to go all the way up to the mast on Mt. Leinster, and as I began climbing out of Bunclody that seemed way outside my capability. It was my first time climbing up Mt. Leinster in that direction, once I got onto the mountain proper I was ecstatic to find that climb both levelled slightly and became a much steadier uphill, rather than having flat sections which just made me more tired.

Felt grand arriving at the top, and turned straight up towards the mast. Lots of new signs and a page pinned to the gate. A new surface had been put down 5 days ago. Inspected the surface and found that the top layer was very loose pebbles. Had visions of my descent, pulling on the brakes and my wheels just skipping along the top layer of marbles. Looked just a bit too dangerous, I decided it'd still be there in a few weeks time when the surface had compacted a bit.

Bonked hard leaving Bunclody, forced down as much food as I could and eventually picked up again. Legs were still really tired at this stage. Soldiered onto Oylegate when I felt extremely hungry and tired again, and just couldn't face doing it all again, so made the SOS call. Started lashing rain shortly afterwards, so made tracks to the nearest pub smoking shelter while I waited. Unfortunately there was a gathering of all the local comedians, so kept walking. Preferred the rain and cold. Just short of a century.

98.7km, with one pretty slow climb up Mt. Leinster.

http://www.strava.com/activities/85492840

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Not too pleased with my spin today. My first time back in the saddle for nearly 2 weeks, so I suppose that's not exactly a recipe for success. Felt fatigued at the start as I often do, but my legs never really woke up. Had intended to go all the way up to the mast on Mt. Leinster, and as I began climbing out of Bunclody that seemed way outside my capability. It was my first time climbing up Mt. Leinster in that direction, once I got onto the mountain proper I was ecstatic to find that climb both levelled slightly and became a much steadier uphill, rather than having flat sections which just made me more tired.

Felt grand arriving at the top, and turned straight up towards the mast. Lots of new signs and a page pinned to the gate. A new surface had been put down 5 days ago. Inspected the surface and found that the top layer was very loose pebbles. Had visions of my descent, pulling on the brakes and my wheels just skipping along the top layer of marbles. Looked just a bit too dangerous, I decided it'd still be there in a few weeks time when the surface had compacted a bit.

Bonked hard leaving Bunclody, forced down as much food as I could and eventually picked up again. Legs were still really tired at this stage. Soldiered onto Oylegate when I felt extremely hungry and tired again, and just couldn't face doing it all again, so made the SOS call. Started lashing rain shortly afterwards, so made tracks to the nearest pub smoking shelter while I waited. Unfortunately there was a gathering of all the local comedians, so kept walking. Preferred the rain and cold. Just short of a century.

98.7km, with one pretty slow climb up Mt. Leinster.

http://www.strava.com/activities/85492840

as nietzsche would say, what dont kill ya, makes ya stronger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Couldn't go with the group early this morning so headed out at noon with a 2.5hr limit. Got in just over 63k with 990m elevation gain, College road, Tibradden, down Gunny hill (yee ha!), Bohernabreena climb up past Montpelier hill for the first time (ouch), on to Glencree towards Enniskerry, turning off at Bridge road, Devil's Elbow was another first, met a poor sod who looked second hand after a crash on a 531tubed steely, front wheel looked done for, I hope he's ok, I asked him several times but he was walking towards Foxe's when I left him. I went on to Glencullen, Kilternan (weeeeeeee), hadn't enough at the bottom so did another small loop towards Enniskerry, turning down Ballyman and back up Rathmichael to Kilternan and back to Dundrum. Really great afternoon for a cycle, glad I used the afternoon now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My first 210km and first time with the Audax bunch today. After 10km a fellow rider crashed into me after a quick stop at the roundabout - bit of a road rash and the front brake had to be reset. Nothing serious though :-)

40km later when shifting to a larger gear my rear mech got literally sucked into the spokes and went half way around :eek::eek::eek: Not your typical beginner's luck!

In desperation I almost called for a lift from a friend, but decided to try to fix it instead. At the end I've managed to bend it more or less into the position - thank you steel frame / hanger - and surprisingly shifting was quite reliable, but only for couple higher gears.

Nevertheless I've managed to finish - with the second time! :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

So after 4.5 hours sleep, I managed to drag myself from slumber to undertake some planned hill repeats. Dropped by a friend's house, and then spent 30km negotiating the leafy suburbs of south Dublin trying to find the mountains. Eventually got to Stepaside Lane, which I went up once, and then had a nice sit at the top. Devil's Elbow, Knockree loop, Glencree, back of Powerscourt, met a clubmate in Enniskerry, did another lap. Met up with a couple of friends for a recovery dip in the Forty Foot, then tea and fudge back at the house, before a gentle spin back home. Got home about 12 hours after I left.

Great weather, good company. Is there anything more one needs for a good spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

did the Loop the Loop 130k cycle today. Approx 240 took part, started in Kilrush headed out to the lighthouse at Loop head where we stopped for a sandwich at about 35k, then on to Kilkee another 30/35k stopped at the golf club for a coffee. Back on the bike we formed into a handy group of about 20, we passed Doonbeg and turned right at the t junction short of Quilty, we had about 95 k done when I realised I hadn't eaten enough so we had a quick stop for an apple, banana and a bottle of lucozade sport, i recovered after this and had a hard hilly final 30k finish.
    Funny how when you're in bits every hill seems to be about 2k going up and about only 200m going down, The group split with about 10k to go so I took it handy and enjoyed the scenery on the run in.
    Weather was lovely, the craic was super, but really it's the scenery that sets this apart, loop head is a hidden gem, the spin in from the lighthouse to kilkee is absolutely stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Mad busy weekend so never got the road bike out at all. But back on the hybrid tonight for my 20k night cycle around Navan. Heavier bike, flat pedals and had to stop at a couple of traffic lights. Great fun though and it will keep me a bit fit over the winter. If I can get 4 night runs and a decent weekend spin on the road bike I'll be happy. Starting to make plans for next year already. Ring of Kerry for sure. And there's talk of a group doing Malin to Mizen. Not sure about that one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

We were out early Sunday morning. My legs were tired after the week commuting. Met T'Bear and another cycling buddy at Clonee and headed out to Howth. Wind was a killer on the way out. We headed up Howth hill from the Sutton side, the legs seemed to kick in - was enjoying the spin up. Got to the top, regrouped and had a coffee and cake in the coffee shop at the harbour.

Due to time constraints, we decided to change the route back and head through the city. Coming in the Clontarf Road, just before the Bull island bridge, managed to get a pinch flat from hitting a large pothole. The cycling gods were obviously looking down on me, there's a newly opened bike shop (sound American guy owns it) who duly obliged with a track pump. Then disaster - what had I done to anger the gods? While putting on my back wheel, noticed my back derailleur was loose. No problem, tried to gave it a quick tighten. Turns out the hanger was knackered - must have been for a while before I noticed it because the threads were completely worn and I couldn't tighten it. So that was it - quick call to the broom wagon (i.e. missus), now trying to source a replacement hanger which should be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

It was lovely when I left my house at 7am - dry & mild but a little windy so I was unsuitably attired for the rain that started a few minutes later. I did have some wet-gear with me but wasn't arsed stopping to put it on. Arrived in work like a drowned rat although I have to say I still enjoyed the cycle (the tail wind on the Clontarf Road for a change helped).

A nice hot shower and a big bowl of porridge had me ready to take on the challenges of the day however my desk now resembles a refugee camp with various items of clothing & accessories hanging in every available place in an effort to dry them before home time (none of my colleagues have complained yet and I have tried to be 'discreet' with the placement of my bibshorts.....). I have a desk fan on the floor under my desk going full tilt to dry out my shoes (insoles removed and stuffed with this morning's Metro) and socks. Anyone else notice how difficult it is to dry those Lidl cycling socks? They are a great sock but Jasus you wouldn't want to be in a hurry waiting for them to dry.....nothing worse than putting on cold wet socks to cycle home in.......frown.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Anyone else notice how difficult it is to dry those Lidl cycling socks? They are a great sock but Jasus you wouldn't want to be in a hurry waiting for them to dry.....nothing worse than putting on cold wet socks to cycle home in.......
    I keep an 'emergency' pair of socks in my locker for just these situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

It was lovely when I left my house at 7am - dry & mild but a little windy so I was unsuitably attired for the rain that started a few minutes later. I did have some wet-gear with me but wasn't arsed stopping to put it on. Arrived in work like a drowned rat although I have to say I still enjoyed the cycle (the tail wind on the Clontarf Road for a change helped).

A nice hot shower and a big bowl of porridge had me ready to take on the challenges of the day however my desk now resembles a refugee camp with various items of clothing & accessories hanging in every available place in an effort to dry them before home time (none of my colleagues have complained yet and I have tried to be 'discreet' with the placement of my bibshorts.....). I have a desk fan on the floor under my desk going full tilt to dry out my shoes (insoles removed and stuffed with this morning's Metro) and socks. Anyone else notice how difficult it is to dry those Lidl cycling socks? They are a great sock but Jasus you wouldn't want to be in a hurry waiting for them to dry.....nothing worse than putting on cold wet socks to cycle home in.......frown.png

was in the same position.
    Cycling up the N11 into the windy and rain. Rain was making eyes hurt.

Have a small shower room at work with towel rad that wasn't tuned on. Did ask but the heating for the building is not being turned on yet :(

Decided leave my work shirt on and put the soaking cycling jersey in my bag. Did the same with the socks. Cycle home was not as bad as I expected. The cycling shorts warmed up fairly quickly and the running jacket i used dried out :)

Still everything being put into the dryer for tomorrow mornings adventure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The cycle in this morning was a nightmare.
    I treated myself to a lie in until 6:30, normally up at 5:45.

Went outside at 7:00 and the next 30 mins were just horrific as the rain spilled down on top of me.
    My glasses were fogging up, so much so I didnt see a pot hole and bang, front tire in and i knew it was a puncture.

Into work, had the shower, but everything was still soaking putting it back on going home, and sure enough, tire was flat.
    Pumped it up, lasted me home, gotta change it now.

Cycle home was grand.

Lesson of the day, dont lie in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

RainyDay wrote: »
    I keep an 'emergency' pair of socks in my locker for just these situations.

What simple effective advice! Spare pair now stowed in my desk for emergencies.

Overshoes & rain jacket worn this morning so my desk doesn't look like a laundrette today...............

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I hit the mirror of a car stopped in traffic on the way in this morning. I didn’t hit it too hard but I heard something hit the ground behind me so I thought I’d smashed it. I stopped and went back and had a look at the damage. I got really lucky though, it was only the plastic case that housed the mirror and the glass itself was totally fine. I clipped it back on and apologised to the driver who was totally cool with the whole thing when he could have been justifiably angry. *phew*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Took the Commutourer out to IKEA yesterday, it was a bit of a slog between traffic and that long drag up to Ballymun, in the latter stages I actually relented and used the offroad cycle lanes since apparently it's the fashion among motorists out there to drag their wheels against the kerb.

After working my way there through a nice ominous mist, I found the dismal cycle parking facilities (as referenced in the camper van) and practically sprinted through the store to get back since the only way leaving my bike there could have been more uncomfortable would have been a slow ride by by kids on horseback.

Loaded up both panniers (my controlled spending reflex having suffered IKEA induced failure) and had a fairly decent cruise back into town although I never went over 35kph, not sure if that was the weather, the increased rolling resistance from the Marathon Supreme that replaced my front Racelite tyre or the weight (I doubt it was the weight as I've done my regular Commute with the same bike loaded up with about 30kg of kit with barely any time difference), felt a tiny bit of concern after crossing the liffey and climbing that short steep hill around Christchurch. It didn't help when the same Airtricity service van made the first of two dangerously close overtakes and the lights caught me at the crux.

Rest of the way home (apart from leg shaving attempt No. 2 from the Airtricity driver) went smoothly and it felt good to be on the bike for longer without the pressure of being out on the roadbike and feeling the need to keep up the speed.

I've been doing a lot of non cycling training lately, so I suspect/fear/hope that's why I've been so slow.

My reward in the end apart from a glorious victory for Commutourer in its spiffy new Red bartape and white Charge Spoon saddle combo is that I bought about 3kg of IKEA espresso to get me through the coming month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Woke up at 06:30 all set for a long spin. Remembered that my shoes were still soaked from yesterdays spin and thought about just staying in. Guilt got the better of me and I headed out. Got 5 km down the road into Shankhill and bang. Double puncture. Never happened to me before. First puncture in a while. For some reason or another I only brought one spare tube and my repair kit had only one patch left. Despite the rain I managed to keep the patch and tube dry while the glue set. The hard part was using the mini pump.

It took about twenty minutes to pump each tyre to 5 bar (I had been meaning to get a new mini pump as the one I have is awful but just never got around to it.) I stood at the side of the road for another 5 minutes after getting both wheels back on. Being 5 km from home with no way of fixing any further punctures, I just headed home. Pretty pissed but oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Did this today after a Boardsie mentioned they took this route from Celbridge - Kill - Naas - Clane and back to Celbrdge. At 62k, it's the longest cycle of the year so far for me.

http://www.strava.com/activities/86625253

Surprised that it didn't rain on me once. I'm wrecked but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Was out on the beater today doing work stuff and picking up a parcel for myself on the sly.

Learned the valuable lesson that the button on a Cantilever brake can come loose and let the cable slip.

A foot drag braking incident ensued when the taxi in front of me stopped.

No fun. But that two part Lidl multi tool is actually perfect for 1990s era mtbs.

Did a timetrial organised by a friend from the bottom of the hill up to the Viewpoint to the Viewpoint (going by Cruagh Road) this evening. I came in last with a time of 25 minutes 13 seconds but hey, still enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I was out in the torrential rain last night, never seen a pothole and back wheel cracked it and blew out my tube, standing in rain slippy hands trying to get a tube in in the pitch blackness, not a good time

Cycling to work this morning, half way there, another puncture, no spare tube as I used it last night and forgot to replace it in my bag, had to throw the bike up on my shoulder and walk home replace the tube and head off on my way

Thank god I wasnt wearing my boards gear carrying that bike to bring shame on the nation :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Woke up at 06:30 all set for a long spin. Remembered that my shoes were still soaked from yesterdays spin and thought about just staying in. Guilt got the better of me and I headed out. Got 5 km down the road into Shankhill and bang. Double puncture. Never happened to me before. First puncture in a while. For some reason or another I only brought one spare tube and my repair kit had only one patch left. Despite the rain I managed to keep the patch and tube dry while the glue set. The hard part was using the mini pump.

It took about twenty minutes to pump each tyre to 5 bar (I had been meaning to get a new mini pump as the one I have is awful but just never got around to it.) I stood at the side of the road for another 5 minutes after getting both wheels back on. Being 5 km from home with no way of fixing any further punctures, I just headed home. Pretty pissed but oh well.

Same as me, shoes were soaking from last nights expedition that i got a puncture, braved the wet feet, 5 k down the road, another puncture

F*&k today in general :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

An eventful morning...

Up @ 5:30, coffee pot on, nip into bathroom, BANG, top blew off coffee pot and took a chunk out of the ceiling, clean up and a weak cafetierre coffee instead.

So onwards and upwards, spin in to work going well until I get a puncture, first time to try out CO2 canisters in anger, colour me impressed, and into the office, heating element is gone in the shower, so a high pressure cold shower later and I'm definitely awake.

The spin was Grand though, traffic practically at a standstill once I got as far as Finglas, so easy to navigate around them and it looks like it'll be dry this afternoon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement