Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭nilhg

Dcully wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer mate, i reckon id be holding you lads back though ;)

I doubt it, there'll be groups/speeds for everyone and it's surprising how much quicker you'll go in a group compared to solo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Holy crap it was cold out there today. My poor feet even with two pairs of socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Holy crap it was cold out there today. My poor feet even with two pairs of socks.

Get yourself a decent pair of overshoes , wearing them with 2 pairs of socks will cut out most of the cold

sullzz wrote: »
    Get yourself a decent pair of overshoes , wearing them with 2 pairs of socks will cut out most of the cold

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Any recommendations?

BBB are decent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Same route as yesterday only the other way round.
    Felt good so upped the power a wee bit :o

http://www.strava.com/activities/88331035

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

nilhg wrote: »
    I doubt it, there'll be groups/speeds for everyone and it's surprising how much quicker you'll go in a group compared to solo.

I was considering joining headstrong at some stage, when would be the best time of year to do so?
    Im only back cycling 7-8 weeks or so im not the quickest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭nilhg

Dcully wrote: »
    I was considering joining headstrong at some stage, when would be the best time of year to do so?
    Im only back cycling 7-8 weeks or so im not the quickest :)

No time like the present;). The winter season spins are only getting up and running now again, the intention is to cater for everyone that wants to come along but exactly how that is done will depend on numbers, keep an eye on the Facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

A very leisurely (think slooowwwww) 60k. 22 people out of mixed standard so for one day only we decided to keep everyone together rather than forming separate groups and treat it as a social spin. And it nearly worked until one or two got itchy legs in the last 10k and raced home. Anyway it was a nice day out. Navan - Kells- Carlanstown - Kells again - Cortown - Greetiagh - home. And lovely coffee and carrot cake and scones and stuff in Solstice afterwards (thanks Julie).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Got some absolutely horrible news this morning. Didn't have any energy today but even just spinning around the mountain helped me rationalize it all a bit. Love my hobby sometimes.

17km, badly needed.

http://www.strava.com/activities/88559608

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Tallaght up around howth to portmarnock then swords and back to tallaght
    First time over howth ,nice cycle apart from the clontarf Rd terrible surface

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Had planned to do 130km. Was doing great with about 15km to go but needed to stop for water. Got a puncture fixed it and then broke the pump and head if the tube as I was putting the last drop of air into it.

Now waiting for the wagon to come collect me

godtabh wrote: »
    broke the pump and head if the tube as I was putting the last drop of air into it.

I've had that happen to me twice. once out on the road and once at home. Very annoying. Hope you don't have to wait too long for her to pick ya up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

She's almost here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Got some absolutely horrible news this morning. Didn't have any energy today but even just spinning around the mountain helped me rationalize it all a bit. Love my hobby sometimes.

17km, badly needed.

I did the SKT a few days after my fathers funeral. Started well before the crowds set off and spent most of the day on my own. I took the old 100k route back to Dungarvan when groups started catching me.
    It was so relaxing and took my mind off the previous couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I did the SKT a few days after my fathers funeral. Started well before the crowds set off and spent most of the day on my own. I took the old 100k route back to Dungarvan when groups started catching me.
    It was so relaxing and took my mind off the previous couple of days.

Took a mate with me today, will probably go out again tomorrow and go a bit longer. It was very therapeutic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

274km round trip today Dublin - Clonee - Summerhill - Mullingar - Ballymore - Near Athlone - Moate - Kilbeggan - Kinnegad - Kilcock - Dublin. I went to my Dad's homeplace, passed by my grandparents' graves, and where I went to primary school.

Everything looks much smaller now, especially when I realised that it was 30 years since I first cycled to school :eek:.

When I got my first Raleigh bike there was a hill near where I lived that was pretty steep. My bike came with a crappy analogue speedometer with a needle that pointed to the approximate speed, the aim was always to try and get it into the red which meant that you were doing at least 20mph. I went down that hill today for nostalgia's sake and hit 48kph! There's still a nasty patch of gravel and a crossroads at the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 thetoffeeman

Took my young fella out for a short cycle path route, about 16km, dungarvan out to clonea strand. I had 15 stitches put in 2 weeks ago, when my chain snapped and the teeth that grab the chain, ripped my inside leg wide open, so it was my first trip out on the bike (trek 2.o). It aint healed properly yet and it was sore while i was cycling. But i got out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Phil you must have clocked up some serious mileage this year.

274k solo I presume?

red lane next year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Yup, solo, I forgot to sign up for the "Dying Light and when I remembered it was too late. Here's today's route http://www.strava.com/activities/88646124

My stats from strava say that I've done the following:-
    Year-to-Date
    Distance 5,543.2km
    Time 236hr 0m
    Elev Gain 60,408m
    Rides 78

That's mostly the racer, I've clocked up another couple of thousand commuting. I should have 10,000 by the end of the year.

I have caught the audax bug in a big way and I'd love to do a 400 and possibly a 600 next year. If other plans don't work out I'd certainly love to do an Easter Fleche of there's anyone else to form a team.

Best of luck with the baby. Now that mine is 4 years old it's a lot easier to get out and I've got to thank Doozerie for his support.

• Advertisement

Yup, solo, I forgot to sign up for the "Dying Light and when I remembered it was too late. Here's today's route http://www.strava.com/activities/88646124

My stats from strava say that I've done the following:-
    Year-to-Date
    Distance 5,543.2km
    Time 236hr 0m
    Elev Gain 60,408m
    Rides 78

That's mostly the racer, I've clocked up another couple of thousand commuting. I should have 10,000 by the end of the year.

I have caught the audax bug in a big way and I'd love to do a 400 and possibly a 600 next year. If other plans don't work out I'd certainly love to do an Easter Fleche of there's anyone else to form a team.

Best of luck with the baby. Now that mine is 4 years old it's a lot easier to get out and I've got to thank Doozerie for his support.

With out partners we don't get to do this so we owe them a lot!

I've a one year old and lucky to have grand parents down the country. Great excuse to get out on the bike! I"ll never complain about the out laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i hah my three grandkits here today no wonder i cant get out on me bike.
    that was one hell of a spin fair play to you magic.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Just borrowed a bike off a friend for a few months as he'll be away. On the cycle back from his house, Gardai start yelling out of their car at me to get off the bike. They pull a U-turn and drive up beside me. I got a court summons for not having lights. Is this standard? Anyone know what kind of fine I should expect? I have cycled in Dublin for over a decade and this has never happened to me before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Grimebox wrote: »
    Just borrowed a bike off a friend for a few months as he'll be away. On the cycle back from his house, Gardai start yelling out of their car at me to get off the bike. They pull a U-turn and drive up beside me. I got a court summons for not having lights. Is this standard? Anyone know what kind of fine I should expect? I have cycled in Dublin for over a decade and this has never happened to me before

Good to see them addressing the problem of ninja cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Thanks for the response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Managed 65km today with nothing but wind everywhere I turned, happy with my cadence as well given I had a few hills thrown in along the ride...

Time 02:23:33
    Elapsed Time 02:44:44
    Avg Temp 13°C
    Max Speed 59.0km/h
    Avg Speed 27.3km/h
    Cadence 95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Grimebox wrote: »

It's down to the judge on the day. My advice is to plead guilty but state that you borrowed the bike and got caught up chatting to your friend and didn't realise how dark it had got and as it wasn't your bike there was no light on it. Say you fitted a light as soon as you got home and it will never happen again and basically hope the judge is in a good mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Went for a bit of cyclocross training yesterday in the Phoenix Park, and while hopping from tree copse to tree copse found myself face to face about 10 metres from a stunning, huge deer. Totally silent, and utterly beautiful. The Phoenix Park is a wonderful place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

51km spin today.
    Stillorgan - town - Sutton - Howrh Hill from the North side - town - Sandymount - Booterstown - Stillorgan

2:23 moving time
    Avg speed 22km/hr
    Mac speed 60.8km/hr

Lots of foam rolling & hip flexor stretching needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I remember my Dad going to court in the 1980's for no light on his bike and got fined 25 pounds.. he went to court in disbelief on that one.

Anyways I cycled my new Voodoo bike from Firhouse to Dundrum and back again. I'm a newbie to cycling :). I didn't realize how dangerously strong hydraulic brakes were... Have to go easy with them until they bed in I think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement