Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Did a Spin down to Kinsale from Cork today, mostly Backroads to avoid heavy traffic. 63 km and 1082 hm, god I'm so not fit at the moment, need to get on the bike more often. Had to push a lot of times when the hills were to hard and it took my nearly the whole day to complete the loop. Feels good now that I'm back home but damn that was hard...

275702.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Cycled 40 kms or so today. Tried a route that I'd never tried before. I live in Shannon Banks, in Corbally, Limerick (Co. Clare side of the river). I usually head up to Barry's cross and hang a left, going up the hill to the quarry in Ballycar and through a series of grass-growing-up-the-middle roads, I end up at the bottom of Gallows Hill, at a crossing, the road to Six Mile Bridge behind me. Today, I turned into Meelick, instead of going all the way up to the quarry. I am just sick of one dog up there. I had spoken to the owner. The guy is doing nothing about it. I should call the guards/dog catcher, but it's the owner I'd like put down. Anyway, turned into Meelick, followed the road through Brennan's Cross, crossing the Knockalisheen Road. I ended up on the Old Cratloe Road, but now looking at the map, I took a turn that, had I gone straight, would have taken me up a hill parallel to Woodcock Hill and, eventually, veered to the west and joined it. It's creepy taking roads you do not know, not knowing where the dogs are, if there are any. I met two at the bottom of Woodcock Hill. The owner was great and got them out of the road so that I could continue.

I went up Woodcock Hill, then back down Cratloe Woods road to the Old Cratloe Road, again, turning to go under the railroad bridge into Ballantlea and on to the bottom of Gallow Hill. I had a wicked chain wrap up between my spokes and my cassette. The chain was acting funny today, sloppy-sounding, loose. Not sure what's up there yet.

My goal is to make it up Gallow Hill in one go without stopping. I've only ever done it once. I think I was on my way to a second time, when a lady walking dogs, let one off lead, and the big lab cam running up to me as I was trying to keep my lung in my chest. I ended up stopping because he was obviously coming straight at me at a trot and I hadn't anywhere to go, with the woman on the other side of the mossy middle. Anyway, made it to the top, went onto the peak, passing the radar towers and working my way down to Glennagross and the Meelick Road back to civilisation. I went straight through Brennan's Cross all the way to Moyross, turning at Sexton Street/High Road, past the castle to the Corbally Road and home.

Good cycle. I'm amazed my legs are not more tired than they are. See ride at Training Peaks: http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/QYV54YYJYKX6J4C5H55A2MMGFQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

well no miles as yet but might just stick the lights on and head out later tonight;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

20km today. Did a 5km run yesterday and my legs and muscles were sore after it, hadnt ran in a while. Didnt want to push it too much on bike today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Eventful spin today.
    Braked few of my own goals and saw guy breaking somebody's taillights with he's headlight's (1st car slowing down because of me and second...). Had about million dog's running after me. It only rained twice, bizarrely at 18 km and 118 km.
    All in all very enjoyable spin. Scenery around Killarney is absolutely lovely whatever the weather.
    Distance 199.8km (my garmin said 200km) Damn you garmin/strava
    Elevation Gain 1643m
    Moving Time 7h 33 min
    Average Speed 26.5 km/h
    http://app.strava.com/activities/88849386#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

274km round trip today Dublin - Clonee - Summerhill - Mullingar - Ballymore - Near Athlone - Moate - Kilbeggan - Kinnegad - Kilcock - Dublin. I went to my Dad's homeplace, passed by my grandparents' graves, and where I went to primary school.
    Nice spin Phil, you put my 200km last wed to shame. Went out solo (first decent spin since August) to do the Kings Mountain (Dublin - Summerhill - Oldcastle - Kells - Slane - Dublin). Headed out the door at 08:10, got home at 20:20 - 12h10 for 215 km total with a rolling of 21.8kph. First bit of night riding from Ashbourne - home. Lights working reasonably well but some fiddling will be necessary. Got a beautiful view of an airplane taking off from Dublin and flying around the back of the crescent moon in a clear sky. :cool:
    I have caught the audax bug in a big way and I'd love to do a 400 and possibly a 600 next year. If other plans don't work out I'd certainly love to do an Easter Fleche of there's anyone else to form a team.
    My Super Randonneur plans went to dust this year but I'm gung-ho for 2014. I did the Easter Fleche in 2012 but DNF'd at 250km. Definately up for it again this year though I don't know if I'd be fast enough for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Lovely day for a spin today. Set out with the the idea of doing a 60k spin. Kept going and ended up doing 114.5km. First spin over a century since I got back on the bike. http://www.strava.com/activities/89209834

Nearly got crushed between two cars. I was behind a car with L plates and in front of a truck at the lights. I could see the girl in front had a dog on her lap. Lights go green and she smashes the car into reverse. Lucky escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I left this morning to go to work with my girlfriend, which is an odd luxury, as we normally leave at very different times. About 2km's from home, a nail goes through my tyre. I've no spare tube with me... Crap. Off she goes, and I'm too far from work to walk their, and too far from home to be able to get home, change wheels (those cyclocross wheels came in handy today!) and get to work on time.

Late. I hate tardiness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Off work this week so no commuting, decided to take the bike for a short spin and only 200 meters in I broke the chain on a bad shift. At least it didn't happen when I really needed it. Its in the hospital LBS being replaced and a new cassette (although I wasn't convinced it needed that). Still I've done 2800km on it this year so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So got out early today. Hoping to do a quick loops of Cruagh Road, viewpoint, Stocking Lane to make up for my recent lack of climbing.

Am pleasantly surprised with my fitness (if not my speed) climbing Cruagh Road but about 200m short of the Carpark it all catches up with me and I have to take a breather.

Given my recent dramas about descending I've set myself the goal of competent but unspectacular for descending Kilakee. But when I get to the viewpoint the road is closed, so I go on over the military road and decide to head home via Glencree, Eniskerry.

I'm still outrageously nervous descending and brake an awful lot but it starts getting better the more and mroe I do of it. I start to think of the ride as a qualified success because I'm getting gradually less pathetic.

Then the last 300m or so of descent into Eniskerry Village happens, my caveman brain wins over all of the rationalising about my proper descending technique and reliable equipment and I do the walk of shame DOWNHILL.

Man but I suck.

48.6kmh
    Avg Speed 19.2kmh
    Max speed 48.6kph

Time: 2:23:40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Another 25km done today, hope I can keep it up and get on the bike at least every few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Another glorious day for cycling today. Did Portmarnock - Baldoyle - Clontarf - East Link - Blackrock - Dalkey - Killiney Hill and turned around and the same route home along the coast. Happy with 65k at 25.5kmph average. I first did this route about 6 months ago at 21 kph so well happy with the increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm still outrageously nervous descending and brake an awful lot but it starts getting better the more and more I do of it. I start to think of the ride as a qualified success because I'm getting gradually less pathetic.

Then the last 300m or so of descent into Eniskerry Village happens, my caveman brain wins over all of the rationalising about my proper descending technique and reliable equipment and I do the walk of shame DOWNHILL.

That's a scary descent there. Out on the open road it'd be fine, aero tuck, ass out the back and let her fly. Too much risk of a car/ped pulling/walking out in front of you in Enniskerry though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

So got out early today. Hoping to do a quick loops of Cruagh Road, viewpoint, Stocking Lane to make up for my recent lack of climbing.

Am pleasantly surprised with my fitness (if not my speed) climbing Cruagh Road but about 200m short of the Carpark it all catches up with me and I have to take a breather.

Given my recent dramas about descending I've set myself the goal of competent but unspectacular for descending Kilakee. But when I get to the viewpoint the road is closed, so I go on over the military road and decide to head home via Glencree, Eniskerry.

I'm still outrageously nervous descending and brake an awful lot but it starts getting better the more and mroe I do of it. I start to think of the ride as a qualified success because I'm getting gradually less pathetic.

Man but I suck.

48.6kmh
    Avg Speed 19.2kmh
    Max speed 48.6kph

Have you gone down the military road?!

Zyzz wrote: »
    Have you gone down the military road?!

Yeah I went out through Lara before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Windy. Spent most of the morning out of the sadle so not as to go backwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Man but I suck.

48.6kmh
    Avg Speed 19.2kmh
    Max speed 48.6kph

That descent into Enniskerry sucks big time, the road surface is probably one of the worst I have ever come across coming into a village anywhere, I have lost a couple of water bottles jumping out of cages coming down there. Its not one to be ashamed of walking down because you also probably prevented damage to your bike.

In the last year I have picked out a couple of decent descents and use these as "training" ones but I have to say, in terms of road width, surface, visibility and sheer fun very few will come close to the Wicklow gap heading west. Just went over it again this past Sunday and it was as good as ever. The other one I use is the Old Long Hill - straight and higher gradient so it does need focus but it helped me get a reference to speed and bike stability. Personally, when there is no traffic around I really like the run into Enniskerry from the bottom of that descent, little more technical, some spalled road but right to the bottom of Lover's Leap lane its great fun. Now if I could only find a way of getting up the hills at a decent pace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Wet today, very very wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Very, very wet and dark

Rank

Also if you are the man that was standing on harolds cross bridge yesterday evening that was waving ur arms like a lunatic and got them caught in my handlebar, I'm sorry if your top ripped but maybe dont go flalling your arms all over the place, especially not onto the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

DaithiMC wrote: »
    That descent into Enniskerry sucks big time, the road surface is probably one of the worst I have ever come across coming into a village anywhere, I have lost a couple of water bottles jumping out of cages coming down there. Its not one to be ashamed of walking down because you also probably prevented damage to your bike.

In the last year I have picked out a couple of decent descents and use these as "training" ones but I have to say, in terms of road width, surface, visibility and sheer fun very few will come close to the Wicklow gap heading west. Just went over it again this past Sunday and it was as good as ever. The other one I use is the Old Long Hill - straight and higher gradient so it does need focus but it helped me get a reference to speed and bike stability. Personally, when there is no traffic around I really like the run into Enniskerry from the bottom of that descent, little more technical, some spalled road but right to the bottom of Lover's Leap lane its great fun. Now if I could only find a way of getting up the hills at a decent pace!

Hate that Glencree Enniskerry road. The one on the south side of the Glencree valley is far better - quieter, nicer scenery and gradient. It also gives the possibility of tackling the Wall (half or full) and links into the descent to Enniskerry mentioned above. Beware the fast left turn just above the Garda Station in Enniskerry. Came off there a few years ago and had a bulls eye scar on my hip for months after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

30k spin. Just under 1 hour. Great to clear out the lungs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

It's lovely smooth tar now, still a scary descent though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

much better conditions this morningb

Was also meant to say that there was a fantastic full moon out this morning. Big and bright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Punctured rear tyre on this morning commute.
    Too lazy to check for the splinter carefully - I couldn't feel it from inside the tyre, so assumed its gone. New tube installed.

20min later another one. Found the bastard this time. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭nilhg

Don't think there's a better way to start the day than watching the sun come up through the mist from the saddle of a bike, everyone else is rushing to work/school/whatever and I'm in my own little world.

A nice handy 37km through mid Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

ozzy jr wrote: »

Excellent, I turned off up Bridge road a couple of weeks back because I didn't want more rattling downhill at scary speeds. Next time I won't turn off and as others have said, the Glencree to Enniskerry road could do with some TLC.

Excellent, I turned off up Bridge road a couple of weeks back because I didn't want more rattling downhill at scary speeds. Next time I won't turn off and as others have said, the Glencree to Enniskerry road could do with some TLC.

There goes my excuse...

The road up that point waa very very gritty though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ozzy jr wrote: »

Came down it last weekend and was much impressed by the improved surface. Descended fast enough though certainly not full tilt given the village at the bottom. Had been hanging onto the brakes and crawling down pretty much up until now. First time I actually enjoyed it.

@Rollingscone, some very good threads on descending over the last while, I used to be a total coward on descents about a year ago, and now while not particularly fast, I find I'm comfortable on most descents. For me its about being in a comfortable position in the drops, focussing on the vanishing point on the road, picking a decent line, and relaxing. I remember nearly crapping myself the first time coming down that road into Enniskerry after just getting the road bike and not being happy in the drops.

• Advertisement

Cheers Smacl, I took a giant step backwards after a near crash coincided with some of the factors that set off flashbacks/anxiety etc from a prior accident.

Before that I was doing fine in Wicklow and Howth.

I've been making good progress rationalising my way through it up to now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement