Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Lovely morning for a cycle and was up until some a**ehole decided to undertake another car at Bolton street (Dublin).
    When I say he missed me by millimeters I really mean it, put the sh*ts up me for sure. Other cars behind pulled back obviously noticing what a dangerous manoeuvre it was and said a**ehole cuts back out into a right hand turn only lane thus saving himself about a few seconds. I pass him and look back, still shaken, and he gives ME the finger? What I wouldn't give at times like these for a tazer so I could tazer the f**k out of him or the use of the force!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Jabel wrote: »
    Lovely morning for a cycle and was up until some a**ehole decided to undertake another car at Bolton street (Dublin).
    When I say he missed me by millimeters I really mean it, put the sh*ts up me for sure. Other cars behind pulled back obviously noticing what a dangerous manoeuvre it was and said a**ehole cuts back out into a right hand turn only lane thus saving himself about a few seconds. I pass him and look back, still shaken, and he gives ME the finger? What I wouldn't give at times like these for a tazer so I could tazer the f**k out of him or the use of the force!

ive often wished for a small pistol that could fire windshield shattering ballbearings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Bolton lane must have been jinxed today

Decided to squeeze in between a large truck parked on the cycle path and standing traffic. I've just passed it went back to the cycle lane, just to find a smaller truck in front parking (backwards) directly at me! With no place to go, I started shouting and almost jumped off my bike. Fortunately a minibus driver on right seen the situation and honked, so the parking truck stopped.

Scary situation but no hard feelings really, the guy obviously did not see me...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lovely morning for a spin through some lovely countryside.
    Had a bit of a wobble when i hit a patch of cow ****e that i didnt see in the shade, damn farmers should be responsible to clean the crap they bring onto the roads.
    Luckily i was on the flat so wasnt going too hard.
    Between Vicarstown and Fisherstown in Kildare/Laois if anyone is on that route be careful.

http://www.strava.com/activities/89567466

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Back in the saddle after a week for the 13k 'short' commute Clane->Maynooth. I think this will end up being the winter commute - doing all the way out of town when it's dark is still ropey enough in my head that I'm going to go with the shorter run, more often.

Lovely weather, and after yesterday's traffic bedlam was good to pass a load of traffic coming into maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

So close to my first KOM's. Decided to do some short hill repeats just as a bit of fun. Had to break out the decent bike with the weather. I honestly thought my max hr was 193. Turns out it's 196. Really enjoyed it. Reminded me of why I love cycling. http://www.strava.com/activities/89590160

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Sarz91 wrote: »
    So close to my first KOM's. Decided to do some short hill repeats just as a bit of fun. Had to break out the decent bike with the weather. I honestly thought my max hr was 193. Turns out it's 196. Really enjoyed it. Reminded me of why I love cycling. http://www.strava.com/activities/89590160

As a matter of curiosity, what gearing were you using for that hill repeat?

DaithiMC wrote: »
    As a matter of curiosity, what gearing were you using for that hill repeat?

The first 8 times I was using something around a 39/21. The last time up I was using a 50/14 but that only lasted for about 10 or so seconds before I had to change down. I've a good turn of speed but begin to fade quickly. It was just such a nice change as opposed to the boring base miles ive been doing and it'll probably be the last time I get out on anything but my winter bike. Was some really good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Bit of a rehab spin after health issues the last week, 31k out to Straffan towards kilteel off to ardclough and home. Beautiful evening and feel great after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did my first ever 50km today on the Giant Roam. Only been doing 15-20km journeys a couple of times a week for the past 4 months but I decided today to keep going instead of turning for home.

50.6 km
    2:03:19
    avg 24.6 km/h
    Top speed 59 km/h

Knees are a bit sore but nothing major. Going to try and do that spin once a week now and see how much under the 2 hours I can get.
    I enjoy the Hybrid as I often hit forestry and canal paths so I wont be getting rid of it but I just want to know how them times and speeds compare to a road bike? Would I see much difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Did my first ever 50km today on the Giant Roam. Only been doing 15-20km journeys a couple of times a week for the past 4 months but I decided today to keep going instead of turning for home.

50.6 km
    2:03:19
    avg 24.6 km/h
    Top speed 59 km/h

Knees are a bit sore but nothing major. Going to try and do that spin once a week now and see how much under the 2 hours I can get.
    I enjoy the Hybrid as I often hit forestry and canal paths so I wont be getting rid of it but I just want to know how them times and speeds compare to a road bike? Would I see much difference?

Over 50km you'd definitely notice the difference on a road bike. The lighter weight and stiffer frame (esp. having no suspension!) feels so much more responsive. Less hard work and also it'll be more responsive to the amount of effort you put in, so you have more capacity to pace yourself harder or easier.

Bottom line is, you'd love it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

escaped most of the rain but it was a bit pissy near the end.

Having problems with my garmin edge 510. It keeps losing gps during rides. Cant figure out why. Should I delete all the rides on it and restore it or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

godtabh wrote: »
    escaped most of the rain but it was a bit pissy near the end.

Having problems with my garmin edge 510. It keeps losing gps during rides. Cant figure out why. Should I delete all the rides on it and restore it or something?

I'd be checking the batteries first, and then if that doesnt work look at upgrading the software to latest version and resetting to factory default.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Got a puncture and nothing to repair it with me, walked the rest of the way in the rain. Hmm bike shop 2.5km away could fix it at lunch I guess, more fun walking times! Bees cycles or something...to google maps! :/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Saw a girl take a hard fall from her bike in Merion Sq. this morning. I don’t know what happened, I just saw her hit the deck about 15 yards ahead of me. I didn’t stop because by the time I was next to her two other people were helping her. It was pretty slippery out there, I had a few wobbles myself. Leaves on the ground and shores are treacherous in this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Leaves on the ground and shores are treacherous in this weather.

Another good reason to stay well out from the kerb, away from the piles of leaves and the shores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Got a puncture and nothing to repair it with me, walked the rest of the way in the rain. Hmm bike shop 2.5km away could fix it at lunch I guess, more fun walking times! Bees cycles or something...to google maps! :/

Bee Cycles in Dolphin's Barn is run by our own Holyboy. He has a good reputation around these parts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Had a lovely spin in the mountains of Beijing this morning with another Irish guy who knows the roads well. Stunning views and blue skies. Absolutely beautiful. Got in 130km with about 1500m of climbing so the legs are feeling it now.

IMG_2855_zpsfdb90be7.jpg

IMG_2851_zps10dfa533.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Cork - Passage West - Monkstown - Carrigaline - Ballygarvan - Cork

41km avg speed 20 kmh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Did the Nicolas Roche Classic today plus 30km there and also back. Was a gorgeous morning out there for a spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Sagi wrote: »
    Cork - Passage West - Monkstown - Carrigaline - Ballygarvan - Cork

41km avg speed 20 kmh

I hope that's training for 'Padraigs Grand Peleton'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Saturday, city centre out to Slane, grand on the way out, brutal rain on the way back.
    Sunday went on the Orwell spin out to Blessington, lovely day for it.
    Touched on the 200k for the weekend

Shocking weather this morning

Worst day in the saddle in a while. Felt like crap for the whole thing. Tried getting in some base training but my heart rate shot up any time I went to do anything. Taking off from a set of lights it went from in or around zone 1.5 to 3.2 in 100 meters. http://www.strava.com/activities/90448476 I should probably just invest in a power-meter but I just don't have the money to spend.

Have to take the next few days off as the saddle has been causing a few problems. Pretty bad bone bruising. Should probably invest in a decent set of bibs. Chamois in the 3 sets that I have is pretty thin.

Definitely a day to forget.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fantastic morning for it. 45.4km in 15 degrees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Lovely this morning, new chain & cassette was buttery smooth. Like a new bike again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I took part in Melbournes around the bay on Sunday. Its a multi-distance choice event ranging from the 20km family cycle to various 100kms, clockwise/anti-clock wise 210km / 250km. I went with the clockwise 210km. Usually id rather go for short and fast. Ive a goal of doing 100km in under 3hours but there was something appealing about 210km. Leading up to the event the longest distance id cycled was 130km. I really didnt know if i was prepared enough, if id have the legs on the day and if i made it what condition will i finish in.

14000 people took part in the various distances with staggering starts depending on what average speed you chose to pick. I went with the 24-29kmph group. The first 100km was a breeze, i stopped at 50km picked up some free gels (bought three the previous day :/) at the 100km mark you had to take the ferry across to the other side. Thankfully i arrived within 10minutes of the next ferry to depart. Topped up on sunscreen, water etc

You got lunch handed to you in a preprepared bag. Chicken sandwich, powerade, oats cake, an apple, energy bar and energy gel. Maybe it was the event and the people around me but i felt pretty good sitting on the ferry, the best ive ever felt after cycling 100km thats for sure. No hunger, not tired, no salt on my face (yes i checked).

The return 110km was pretty tough going with a strong headwind / sidewind on an unsheltered motorway. In one case a lady was blown into a caravan and went down hard. There wasnt the same groups as you saw on the first 100km, everyone was spread out suffering to different degrees. I dreaded bonking or losing power in my legs but it never happened. I was able to just keep going without much difficultly, dont get me wrong there was tough moments but nothing that ever wanted me to get off the bike.

I was wheel sucking towards the end and one dude got frustrated and called me on it. I answered with a “pfft”. Bizzarely enough he jumped off his bike 1km down the road and ran into a laneway. i wasnt sure what was happening until someone said, “bad time to get a cramp”. Never seen anything like it before. Overall the event was pretty good, Marshalls in all the right spots, friendly volunteers, free gels towards the start, mechanical assistance at all the rest stops. Even met a felllow dubliner, though in fairness there’s loads of use here.

For you stats whores (me being one of them) here they are.

Distance: 221.69 km (Yup someone fúcked up the distance)
    Time: 8:20:26
    Avg moving Speed: 26.6 km/h
    Elevation Gain: 1,078 m
    Calories: 3,993 C
    Avg Temperature: 29.1 °C
    Max Speed: 62.9 km/h
    zeex.jpg

The event cost 120euro. You got a jersey which they stated was compulsary to wear on the day. This also included the ticket of the ferry (25min journey), lunch and a medal at the end. Pretty damn pricey. Theres another event in march called the 3 peaks. 235km, **** loads of climbing and a 13hour time limit. The cost of this event is €205-ish. Australia ain't cheap! €40 w200 is looking pretty good to me!

*Gels really unsettled my stomach (never used them before) only real complaint of the day. Should of eaten bars instead

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

First spin since last Thursday ,thought id do a high cadence spin to try burn off the excess calories intake over a hectic weekend :eek:

http://www.strava.com/activities/90602279

What a disaster. 2 punctures in the final 5km. Had to run/luas home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Nice spin home on the commute last night. Always feel I'm flying along on the coast when cycling in the dark ; unfortunately garmin would disagree. Load of ninjas on the Clontarf cycle track which were hard to see due to rain on my glasses. Shudda put in a bit more effort as I was drowned by a shower in the last two mnutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

Nice spin after work, got my first semi decent KOM. was chuffed with that! Weather was delish compared to yesterdays grueller.

http://www.strava.com/activities/90845889

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement