Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Cycled 31.9km. From Moylough-mullaghmore-guilka-horseleap-cooloo-laught-rushed cross-Moylough. Battled horrible wind and rain to do it in 1:20. 3 mins slower than yesterday but feeling positive as October is my first official training/ racing month.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

30km Donabate - Malahide and then out to Portrane and back to add to the yardage. 26kph. Windy enough and man alive Turvey Avenue is pitch black at night. Front light okay but wouldn't be good enough if I didn't know the road quite well. Enjoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did 32 km today averaging 27.6kmh. Longwood to kinnegad and back. Outward 16 into a stiff breeze was torture but homeward was a blast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Did 48k from Celbridge to Clane to Kilcock and back. Felt good but thought it would work out further than it did. Still though it's all km's done and felt good after it. May undo it now with a pizza though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Did 48k from Celbridge to Clane to Kilcock and back. Felt good but thought it would work out further than it did. Still though it's all km's done and felt good after it. May undo it now with a pizza though!

No point in putting in the hard work if you can't enjoy yourself after it :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

115km around Meath/Kildare today.

Good spin but my mate blew up after Trim so our averages took a pounding.

The extra saddle time with the slower speeds created some Rapha advert style suffering on the last 20 but the booby prize had to go to the stupid stupid woman who overtook a truck she couldn't see around while we were belting down the hill on the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I took a mini run from Ballycullen to Whitechurch and back again before the rain started. I'm getting use to cycling now, weather permitting I'm going to do a run out to Bray when I figure out the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I did a route similar to the TriAthlone one, about 20KM. Spent a lot of time on the drops, working on my cadence and speed. Missed out on a PB by one second. Missed a large segment, not sure how. I added a bunch more segments around Athlone.

http://www.strava.com/activities/91219065

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I had a rough hour in the saddle today. Got absolutely píssed on twice, wet through to the bone. Even though the route was circular and flat I somehow managed to cycle uphill and into a poxy headwind for the whole fúckin journey. To cap it off I swerved into briars trying to escape a dog and now have go faster stripes on my leg and face.

I was perished and bloody and half drowned by the time I got home and then when I checked strava I got a nice surprise, 4 achievements. So I checked them out and I got 4th out of 4 twice and 6th out of 6 twice and was soundly beaten by girls on two of them so I'm beginning to think I'm half fukkd in the head because all I want is to get out there again tomorrow and beat them times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Today was a 70km spin up to Roundwood and back.

Those hills hurt like a mutha****a.
    The toughest hill I've done before today was Howth Hill.
    Took us 2 1/2 hours to do the 37km to Roundwood!
    Had a pint and some food and came home in 90 minutes or so.

It was very wet, slippery with leaves and we were cycling into a headwind that then changed into a dangerous crosswind.

Still, enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Scrumdog

Today was crap. Decided to do the Kevin King memorial cycle instead of a club spin. Controlled pace me hole. Was left behind after about 4 k. I know that sounds like I'm a crap cyclist but I'm not. I would normally average around 26.5 for100k. Tried to catch up ,but no use. Decided to turn back after 25k. My average after 50 k when I got back was 26.3 which wasn't bad considering the conditions. I really think the people who organised this event should look out for all cyclists and not just the elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Scrumdog wrote: »
    Today was crap. Decided to do the Kevin King memorial cycle instead of a club spin. Controlled pace me hole. Was left behind after about 4 k. I know that sounds like I'm a crap cyclist but I'm not. I would normally average around 26.5 for100k. Tried to catch up ,but no use. Decided to turn back after 25k. My average after 50 k when I got back was 26.3 which wasn't bad considering the conditions. I really think the people who organised this event should look out for all cyclists and not just the elite.

Hi,

Today was a tough day on the bike. I will pass your comments on to the organisers. FWIW the pace was controlled at the front for the majority of the spin. The first 40k average was about 27kph, with the second half averaging about 34 with the tail wind. Average for the entire spin was about 31 kph.

Lenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

lennymc wrote: »
    Hi,

Today was a tough day on the bike. I will pass your comments on to the organisers. FWIW the pace was controlled at the front for the majority of the spin. The first 40k average was about 27kph, with the second half averaging about 34 with the tail wind. Average for the entire spin was about 31 kph.

Lenny

Was the intended pace advertised ahead of the event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Was the intended pace advertised ahead of the event?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Promoteyour event Ireland

Did 21k easy cycle round the mountain.Found it easy enough albeit plenty of challenging climbs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Club spin was cancelled due to the weather warning, but I watched the ridiculously choreographed propoganda that is the first 1:30 of this

so much that I went out and I was all like

And then I saw Timmy Barry sheltering in Monkstown in his gabba and me in my DHB crap and I was all like, "Timmy, you may be one of the best riders in the country and done the Ras lots of times but jesus man, you need to.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

45k starting Navan and around by Bective, Trim, Dunderry and Robinstown. You know the sort of day when you feel like you've never been on a bike? Yip, one of those. Hardship all the way. Like all the miles built up over the summer have just ebbed away. Strong blustery wind didn't help but at least I planned the route so that I had a tailwind home. Beans on toast and a shower and there won't be a bother on me..

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Wind seemed a bit savage and from the west so plotted a south-north-south course, Donabate-Drogheda-Swords-Donabate. Still encountered tough breezes but enjoyed an 80k at 24kph average with a couple of drenchings thrown in. Quite a few cycling the R132 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Did a 5km yesterday in the wind(had to fight it the whole way) and rain at (what I think) is a nice pace. Was actually a lot tougher than some 20km rides I've went on. Such a weird experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

22km early this morning. Took me an hour due to the strong head winds. At one stage I was pedalling downhill into a very strong headwind and just about registering 21kmph. Had planned going further but took a left turn and headed for home after 13km. Was cold wet and miserable by the time I got home. I hate this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

marko93 wrote: »
    Did a 5km yesterday in the wind(had to fight it the whole way) and rain at (what I think) is a nice pace. Was actually a lot tougher than some 20km rides I've went on. Such a weird experience

If you had to get out of the saddle to drive the bike down descents you can probably assume that the headwind is making it five times harder.

So yeah probably more of s workout than a 20km spin.

Used to get that cycling home from Dundrum from time to time: it's a psychological workout too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

~120k over the holiday weekend. 50km Loop to summerhill and Enfield from Maynooth on Saturday & Monday with a cheeky 20km run on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Only mustered 15k this afternoon around Moylough-Killascobe-Mountbellew Golf Road-n63 to Moylough. Stupidly wore shorts which took my legs forever to warm up. Met by fantastic winds ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Knocked out 23k tonight. Lights did the job. Cold though. My hips are still cold, even after a shower and a while while in front of the fire. As for my dodgy knee, never really warmed up. Must dig out the leg warmers. Good to get out though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I have been off the bike for a bit. I broke a few ribs on my right hand side when I got assulted by a concrete bollard a few weeks back. I was back on the bike only about two days when the chain slipped on my commuter sending me head over the bar in a dramatic event which to on lookers must have seemed as though I was shot as it was in the middle of the road, nothing in close proximity to knock me. That resulted in a good bit of cuts and bruising and more broken ribs but this time on my left...
    Anyway, back on the bike tonight to check out the route for Sundays Padraig's Grand Peloton. It's was a fantastic spin a beautiful evening after the rain chilled out bringing a good bit of strong sun shine before dusk.
    On the bike for about half three so I was out of the city before it got busy and really enjoyed just cycling, no segments, no time limit, just watching the road and the secenery.
    I think last February was the last time I cycled from day light into the night and I must say I really enjoyed it. No moon so when it got dark it was pitch dark. Cycling past the resiviour and the Lee at this time was magical as the last fingers of light were reflected off the calm waters surface in what looked like a black and white photo of Corks silhouette. When the Dark did come the busy narrow road was good fun as I came across what were without doubt the most chilled out drivers I have ever had stuck behind me. I have a pretty good light for such roads but nothing beats a 4x4 behind you for a few km with their head lights on. Not an angry rev or tight pass out manoeuvre, a rare pleasure.
    Into the city and an empty bus lane brings me into the city centre like a red carpet past the end of rush hour and home nailing a small hill outside my house and gobbling up commuters .
    Just over 85km of lovelyness.
    Nice...
    Strava

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Didn't have to do the school run this morning so I got a good 66km done before breakfast. And a bit of climbing so a good morning out.

Strava

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

57km.
    Stillorgan - Phoenix Park - Castleknock - Carpenterstown - Lucan - East Wall - Sandymount - Stillorgan.

No rain, nice flat spin, stop in Lucan for coffee and a sambo.

Deadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Did 47k, Celbridge to Clane, Sallins, Naas, Johnstown, Rathcoole, Newcastle and back to Celbridge. Bloody cold in the shorts. Might be time to buy some bib tights! Prob the most climbing I've done so far, was a nice spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭red man walking

Did 49km this morning, Balbriggan-Drogheda-Duleek-Naul-Balbriggan. Following on from last weeks deer on road (the boards spin) I played a game of chicken with a chicken coming out of the Naul thankfully I won :-) PS forgot how tough the Bellewstown race course rd climb is

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Disgusting out there. Should have signed on to the wimp list

http://www.strava.com/activities/92673776

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement