Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

Windy, wet and miserable. But when I got to my mums she made me a big fry. You cant beat an Irish mammy's cooking after a hard slog on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Went out today and got soaked but felt great afterwards. Did 45km. Strong headwind and very wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

90k spin today. Weather was shocking. Kilworth-Lismore-The Vee-Clogheen-Mitchelstown-Kilworth. Kinda enjoyed it tho!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

seen sean kelly today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Done 17km last night around the city, first cycle in over 3 months so glad to be back on the bike after illness although a far cry from the 100+ km cycles I was doing earlier in the year.

Was cold but really enjoyed the night cycling and was well wrapped & lit up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Did 55km out to a friend's house and back, wind was alright, a few times it was so strong I could have taken a nap on it.

Worst part of spin was city centre traffic at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Took a spin out to Howth to pick up from Parcel Motel. Stiff wind on the way back into town. The Howth Road resurfacing is coming along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Spotted the Dublin Wheelers munching on scones in the caf in Ballyboughil today, Mother of a shower just afterwards. A day for the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

First time back in the saddle for a proper spin in quite a while. Have to say I loved it, beats the hell out of some of the winter spins I had last year. Sunny and chilly. Took 2 friends with me, even more beginner than I am, and it's very satisfying to see how their handling skills have improved since I got them started. Nice and steady even on a windy day, we were able to slipstream very comfortably. We've all had some bad news of some kind lately, great to get out and mess around on the bikes.

38km, fresh and fun.

http://www.strava.com/activities/92924889

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Went for a quick spin, from Artane out to Howth, up the hill (easy side, if you could call it that!) and then along the coast by towards clontarf.

All going lovely until just after the bridge over to bull island when I moved slightly to the right of the bike lane and my wheel popped into a groove in the road and caused a fairly scary wobble. Stayed upright but I'm pretty sure there's a brown stain in my bibshorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Seaneh wrote: »

All going lovely until just after the bridge over to bull island when I moved slightly to the right of the bike lane and my wheel popped into a groove in the road and caused a fairly scary wobble. Stayed upright but I'm pretty sure there's a brown stain in my bibshorts.

That can be so scary! About 5 minutes into my first ever club spin the guy in front of me got both his wheels stuck in a rut, he hopped about 2 feet across the road getting out, looked terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mingfest

Kinsealy out to Portmarnock and Baldoyle, out to Howth and over the hill (easy side up !!) and back the coast road through malahide. About 40K but wind in the face all the way back. Giving up on the cleats, just can't get the hang of them, especially in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

No wind today, rode a loop between Athlone and Moate. I think it got a bit colder, or maybe the vibration, near the end as my hands and calves went numb.
    I met about five seperate cyclists cycling opposite me, only one waved back. Each of them was wearing the same thing, yellow jacket and leggings. I was out there with my base layer, WWF Panda shorts and jersey.
    It was my longest ride to date at 38.9KM. I planned to go longer, into north Offaly, but I took a wrong turn at Castledaly and that shortened the ride.

http://app.strava.com/activities/92922527

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First time out for a couple of weeks here as well. Had planned a nice easy Rathfarnham - Glencree loop, but dithered at the turn off at went down Crone woods way instead. For no good reason decided to turn off for Knockcree and found myself heading up the lower wall shortly after. Nearly died by the time I hit the cross roads, so gingerly went back down and on towards Knockree hostel over one of my favorite stretches of autumn road. Scooted down the Glencree road, and decided on the Devils Elbow back to Glencullen, as I didn't fancy Enniskerry. Nearly died a second time on the first and nastiest bit of that ramp, wondering who'd turned the oxygen off as I glimpsed a rather pathetic 7.2kph on my cateye. Johnny Foxes was a welcome site, and thoroughly enjoyed the down hill home. 47k at just 19kph average, but a really enjoyable and mellow spin nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Up to viewing point via stocking lane, then out to Enniskerry via Foxes/Devil's Elbow, and then back to Cruagh road via Stepaside for a final loop around viewing point and home. Been out to Enniskerry that way a few times now, and the road from sort of Kilmolin to Kilgarron (starting as soon as you take that sharp left turn) is just awful. Loose gravel on corners and the road is overall just uncomfortable to ride on. Then it all turns lovely and smooth for a half km or so into Enniskerry itself.

Donabate, Briggan, Naul, Garristown & back to Donabate - 63k , 25kph. Lovely morning. Riding a hybrid, no real puncture worries on sh1t t roads but those things are about as aerodynamic as a sail.

No wind today, rode a loop between Athlone and Moate. I think it got a bit colder, or maybe the vibration, near the end as my hands and calves went numb.
    I met about five seperate cyclists cycling opposite me, only one waved back. Each of them was wearing the same thing, yellow jacket and leggings. I was out there with my base layer, WWF Panda shorts and jersey.
    It was my longest ride to date at 38.9KM. I planned to go longer, into north Offaly, but I took a wrong turn at Castledaly and that shortened the ride.

http://app.strava.com/activities/92922527

I also seemed to encounter a grumpy shower of oncoming cyclists, didn't matter what they were wearing! Gave up acknowledging anybody,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I had sore knees after my last few spins so after consulting doctor Google I raised the saddle 2 inches just to see would there be much difference . I'm a complete novice; 38 year old asthmatic with a paunch and legs like a heron although I think my bald head is quite aerodynamic, and I have never even adjusted the saddle since buying the bike let alone having a bike fit done.

Shaved nearly 9 minutes off 50k without pushing hard (if anything I took it easier than last time out) and my knees are fine!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Did 16km with my 6 year old daughter yesterday. Through Kilbogget Park and through the next one which continues onto Deans Grange. Kept on up past Bakers Corner. Faced strong winds and a couple of heavy showers but were covered up well. She loved it and is dying to go again.

Also did 17km up to the Lead mines with my 9 year old. Mostly up hill to the old chimney, then back down the hill and around to Loughlinstown for a bite to eat.

Did a 32 km myself into St. Stephens Green & back along the coast road. Had never been into town on the bike before so just wanted to give it a go. Really noticed the difference in the city in terms of dangerous incidents. Nearly got cleaned up by a taxi and a woman who didn't see my at a roundabout.

Also took the 3 year old up and down our lane. Fearless little fellow speeding down the hill with his stabilizers. Stabilizers coming off next summer.

EDIT: should add this wasn't in one day! it encompasses the long weekend too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

Rathgar-rathfarnam-Sally gap-enniskerry-kilternan-Rathgar. First time trying Sally gap, howth was my only previous hill climb. Nearly died but great day out. Few friendly smiles from cyclists who could see I was in bits.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Mingfest;87323218. Giving up on the cleats, just can't get the hang of them, especially in traffic.[/QUOTE]

I'm no expert but my own advice which worked for me is to put your bike up against a wall and practice engaging and disengaging with the cleats. Maybe loosen the tension on the pedals slightly so it's easier to engage or disengage. It's all practice and will come to you in no time. Just keep at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Amprodude wrote: »
    I'm no expert but my own advice which worked for me is to put your bike up against a wall and practice engaging and disengaging with the cleats. Maybe loosen the tension on the pedals slightly so it's easier to engage or disengage. It's all practice and will come to you in no time. Just keep at it.

Getting the pedal tension right was what did it for me. Coming out of the cleats should be a fluid easy motion, not involving pulling hard or hanging out of the pedal.

I also found puling one foot out when it looked anything like I might have to stop (in traffic etc) works. I have combined flat/SPD pedals that make this easy though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

cold this morning. Garmin had an average temp of 5 degrees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Drimnagh - Strawberry Beds - Clonee - Dunshaughlin - Hill of Tara Coffee shop - Prawn s/w (their bread was simply to die for), Coke, Caramel Square, Coffee - Dunshaughlin - Ratoath - Fairyhouse - Clonee - Lucan - Strawberry Beds - Phoenix Park - Home.
    First 100km spin on my own.
    No need for a nap and feeling fine today :p

Went out this morning again and did 35km on a very cold morning. There was ice on car window when leaving house. Invested in good winter cycling gear over last few months so made my cycle very comfortable.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Getting the pedal tension right was what did it for me. Coming out of the cleats should be a fluid easy motion, not involving pulling hard or hanging out of the pedal.

I also found puling one foot out when it looked anything like I might have to stop (in traffic etc) works. I have combined flat/SPD pedals that make this easy though.

I started off using spd pedals too and it helped me get used of clipping in and out of the pedals. Switched over to racing pedals then after getting my new bike. Maybe an idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Nice spin today. Total of 78.2km. Was going to keep going but it started drizzling in Glenealy so I turned back for Ashford as I had no rain gear and I was cold enough as it was. First proper spin in 2 weeks due to a sore ass. Changed the saddle and everything seems fine. I don't know what it is but every time I hop on the bike I'm bursting to go to the jacks. Had to stop twice for a piss as I was probably going to wet myself. Really irritating. All in all though I really enjoyed it. Love this type of weather (without the ice). http://www.strava.com/activities/93176400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Night cycle done. 16.6k around Navan. Pressed wrong button on my Endomondo and lost my stats for the spin but it felt slow. Light rain made the roads look a bit dodgy and made for some very careful cornering. Road markings, inspection covers, leaves also on my list of excuses ....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Cold, wet, windy ......... and a puncture. Getting sick of this wind

• Advertisement

Got soaked today on my spin. Wind and rain for most of it. Did 60km on a miserable day. Good thing on my spin was i am now third on a segment of the route i took today and beat a previous record i had funny enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement