Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Nearly got taken out of it on the cycle home this evening...

Coming along the Newcastle Rd in Galway in the rain and I hear wheels spinning up in front, then an oncoming car starts coming at speed onto my side of the road and swerving with wheels spinning and an old lady behind the wheel. I managed to swerve around her and she mounted half the footpath (two pedestrians luckily jumped back into an entrance) and continued out of control another 30m or so before stopping.

I checked she was alright, she seemed shook but quite calm and her main concern was that she had hit another car when she lost control but all other cars moved off while I was talking to her. I didn't push her as to what happened but I'm guessing she came to slow moving traffic and slammed on the accelerator instead of the brake and panicked when the car took off.

Hairiest experience on the bike yet since starting commuting by bike this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

53km today on another misersble day with plenty of rain and headwinds. Torture but delighted i got out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Back in the saddle for the baby commute (13k each way) today. Went spelunking down a pothole on the way home and killed the tube in my back wheel. Thankfully was a 5 minute walk from home so I got to change it in the warm kitchen. First puncture!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

60km in the bitter cold. Garmin said 6 degrees ACU Weather said a wind chill of -1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm cycling 20km a day, its not massive but on a hybrid I think its reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

80km today. Have yet to get a fine day this month to cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Did 17kin prep for a 30k cycle tomorrow. https://www.strava.com/activities/94046046

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

52km over Howth four times - beautiful but cold. Good to have had the leg warmers.

I wasn't over keen before I went but very glad I did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Just a short one today. 30k but with a few little hills thrown in. Mud on the roads is a problem, carried out of fields on the wheels of tractors (yes a rural problem, I know..). Have to concentrate or you'd be on your ass quick enough..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rathfarnham-Enniskerry-Laragh-Aughrim-Carnew-Bunclody-9-stones-Tom duff for a very chilly 127k, in slightly over six hours all in. Took the Kilbrannish woods road up Mt Leinster and it nearly flattened me. Haven't got many long spins in of late, and am feeling the hills. Pints tonight, lest the cycling make a dent in my ever enlarging belly. Really need to re-think diet / booze etc... some time soon. Maybe tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did a 20km cycle to warm up, did the 5Km Remembrance Run in the Phoenix Park (in 23:45) and then 25km home. Good day to be fit and healthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Out along the N81 to Baltinglass and back. Nice day cold start at 7.30am and fairly foggy past Blessington but nice and back for the football all afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

First cycle in a while. Have really neglected the bike for a the last month or so.
    Anyway I got a quick spin in, just over an hour. About 25km's done in around Clonee.

An absolutely lovely day for a cycle or any sport for that matter. No wind. Cool but not too cold. Perfect imo.

Gonna try my best to get out more between now and Xmas.

Ps... Just saw someone mention above great day to fit and healthy. I went past 2 people on wheelchairs on my cycle and I have to say it makes you think how lucky you are. We take so many things in life for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

First weekend back in the bike in about two months (a newborn is a great excuse to be lazy).

25k yesterday, 30 today. Died. Hr through the roof (highest it's ever been!), legs actually sore.

A kick in the teeth after training quite a bit this year, but sure the first km back are the hardest!

Roll on 2014

G rock wrote: »
    First weekend back in the bike in about two months (a newborn is a great excuse to be lazy).

25k yesterday, 30 today. Died. Hr through the roof (highest it's ever been!), legs actually sore.

A kick in the teeth after training quite a bit this year, but sure the first km back are the hardest!

Roll on 2014

The legs just need to wake up again. In a week or two you'll be flying again

G rock wrote: »

Roll on 2014

Congrats on the new sprog! Given the distances you've put in over the year you'll be back up to speed in no time, some of the crisp winter days are well worth getting suited up for. Nearly died myself in the hills getting back out after a short enough break away from the bike.

Also time to take the NamelessPhil+Doozerie approach and get the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Took my singlespeed out on it's longest jaunt yet. 100k loop. Greystones, Rathnew, Laragh and home past Djouce.

It's a lump of a bike and not great for climbing but I was so happy to be out I didn't care.

Apart from the Poggio. That was horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Two blown/damaged tubes this morning before I set off meant my time was ticking away when I got on the bike. Still, a really nice handy spin from Celbridge to Phoenix park and back through the strawberry beds. 50km. Fantastic day to be outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Took my first "real" bike for it's first real outing today.

Went for a spin out to Dun Laoghaire from Smithfield. Enjoyed every minute of it. Stopped off at the 40 foot for a hot chocolate and a rest.

Beautiful day to be out cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

8.50am - got a puncture on my way to work this morning, just coming up to Clonskeagh Rd so Harry's Bikes was handily right there and open since 8am.
    Guy in the shop said I would have to leave the bike in as the mechanic wasn't in until 11am...
    I've seen this guy previously downstairs fixing bikes, but whatever, I can't just walk in a demand they always fix a puncture there and then.
    So I said I'd just buy some tyre levers and a tube and I'd do it myself, I needed to get to work and couldn't really wait.
    He went and got the tube, but then changed his mind and said he'd do it if I wanted to go next door and get a coffee.
    Cool.
    €2.80 for the coffee and €17 for the puncture repair :eek:
    I am forever going to carry tube, levers and CO2 cartridges for commuting to work from now on.

• Advertisement

Golden rule with any service or repair is ask what it is going to cost in advance, €17 seems a bit steep, but that could be €7 for an expensive tube plus €10 minimum service fee. A better person would have told you what they were going to charge you beforehand though, not really good business for them in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I am forever going to carry tube, levers and CO2 cartridges for commuting to work from now on.
    That's on page 1 of the cycling to work manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

smacl wrote: »
    Golden rule with any service or repair is ask what it is going to cost in advance, €17 seems a bit steep, but that could be €7 for an expensive tube plus €10 minimum service fee. A better person would have told you what they were going to charge you beforehand though, not really good business for them in the long term.
    I just assumed €10-12, but maybe I just haven't paid to have a puncture repaired in a while.
    And hopefully won't again for another long while.
    Coffee was nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Out on the Road bike for the first time in Months yesterday. Lovely spin with a few mates, cold but crisp weather and the Wicklow hills looking great, the scone in Enniskerry was greatly enjoyed also.

Have rashly agreed to take on the Etape next year so will have to be out every chance I get and need to drop about 15 kilos in weight. big challenge but doable in 8 months I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Spent the entire day waiting for a phone interview. Decided to put the bike up on the turbo. Got 5k in and my phone starts ringing. Typical. I continued pedaling but at no great pace. http://www.strava.com/activities/94527776

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Cycled around Athlone Town this evening, my first time cycling in the dark for a long while.

Forgot to unclip at some Road works, chain came off and took ages to put back on. Then realised that one of my handlebar ends were lost in the fall, so I turned back to get it. Found it.
    No KOMs, but some PR's. The fog had my lungs on fire, especially after not training last week.
    ALDI lights are bright. ALDI leg warmers are the business (now I know why girls wear tights).
    I'll probably have a bruise or two to show tomorrow.

http://www.strava.com/activities/94561314

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

20K Dunboyne to Ballyfermot commute, Christ it was cold.

Not looking forward to the cycle home..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I finally admitted that the summer is over. I put the carbon bike to bed for the winter, put mudguards on the Carrera TDF, fished out the winter gloves and the shoe covers, pulled on the full length cycling pants. I did 37km in glorious afternoon sunshine, having said that the temperature dropped from 12 Deg C to about 9 Deg C in the course of my spin.
    The mudguards, extra gear and 3kg heavier bike cost me an extra 6 minutes. (75 v 81)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

113 km through counties laois and kilkenny. 4 hrs on the button. super day out and really enjoyed the spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Today I went cycling with a local pro. He has been cycling for 37 years and racing for 36 out of them. The gentleman is near 60 and I struggled at times to keep wheel to wheel

https://www.strava.com/activities/94665586

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement