Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Cycled around Athlone, but in the opposite direction to last night.

5 PBs, one of which was an improved KOM. No crashes, unlike last night.

I can't see the cadence reading on my Cateye Strada as it's too dark. I ordered a Garmin Edge 810 (performance and navigation bundle) from ebay for €390, hopefully that will have a backlight. Reckon I'll pick up a Cycleops PowerTab power meter in Spring.

http://www.strava.com/activities/94737320

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭donkey balls

For the first time in years I went on a bit of a cycle further a field rather than just cycling around where I live,Started at Castleknock and cycled along the Royal Canal to Kilcock and back about 60k and it took me about 3hrs 30 mins.
    Next time might try and make it as far as Mullingar saying that my legs are a bit sore so I might need to do a few more 60 k spins before attempting the cycle to Mullingar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did just 36km today as I was in a rush. Will do better tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My legs have been in a bad way since my efforts on sunday. First time on the bike since. No power at all but managed 45km just took slightly longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Out last night on a circuit in Naas. Millenium Rd, Monread, Johnstown, Kill, Kilwarden to end of lights and back c.29km I hr approx. Dry and crisp weather, nice ride street lights all the way.

• Advertisement

I did 53km today on a dry day. Lovely day out for cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

For the first time in years I went on a bit of a cycle further a field rather than just cycling around where I live,Started at Castleknock and cycled along the Royal Canal to Kilcock and back about 60k and it took me about 3hrs 30 mins.
    Next time might try and make it as far as Mullingar saying that my legs are a bit sore so I might need to do a few more 60 k spins before attempting the cycle to Mullingar.
    Hope you don't mind cyclocross, there's a few sections where you run out of road and the grass ain't friendly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

quite windy on the way home from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Did 85 k in total today.

Left the city centre early this morning for Malahide (via the Howth Peninsula). Stopped off in Malahide castle for a hot chocolate. Then back into the city centre via Malahide road. (48k in total).

Picked up a Garmin 200 when I got back home and was eager to try it out so I went for a quick spin out to the 40 foot and back from the city centre. (27 k in total)

Absolutely love the Garmin. I've uploaded the route I took today out to Malahide onto the device so I will actually get a proper sense tomorrow of what speed i am doing it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

quite fecking windy on the way home from Howth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Alek wrote: »
    quite fecking windy on the way home from Howth.

Quite a nice tail wind towards Howth from Town :D

I know, done it both ways tonight. 45 vs 20 kph.... Character builder is this stretch of land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

My headlight is on strike so until I get that sorted (dynamo here I come) I'm off the road at night which means my cycling is limited to commuting, weekend daytime and ......... turbo.

I love night riding so I'm trying to find a positive.... new light and wheel I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

My headlight is on strike so until I get that sorted (dynamo here I come) I'm off the road at night which means my cycling is limited to commuting, weekend daytime and ......... turbo.

I love night riding so I'm trying to find a positive.... new light and wheel I guess.

Did you see the rosebikes sale discussion over on bargain alerts?

Some very good prices on b&m headlamps-cyo 60lux and the even better Luxos reduced be about 15 quid.

I'm tempted to go for a Luxos just because!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Went out to get a few easy miles in. Ended up coming off worse for wear. Some fat ass walked out from behind a bus shelter, saw me and just stood in the cycle track. Tried to hop the ridiculously high kerb as I had nowhere else to go and came tumbling off at about 35 - 40 kph. Bike seems fine. Wrecked a pair of 3/4 lengths. Club winter jacket is destroyed. Helmets destroyed (Thank god I was wearing one.). Brand new over shoes ripped to shreds. Road rash all over my left leg and hand. Going to be an awful boring next few days.

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Went out to get a few easy miles in. Ended up coming off worse for wear. Some fat ass walked out from behind a bus shelter, saw me and just stood in the cycle track. Tried to hop the ridiculously high kerb as I had nowhere else to go and came tumbling off at about 35 - 40 kph. Bike seems fine. Wrecked a pair of 3/4 lengths. Club winter jacket is destroyed. Helmets destroyed (Thank god I was wearing one.). Brand new over shoes ripped to shreds. Road rash all over my left leg and hand. Going to be an awful boring next few days.

Once you are ok everything else can be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Nice 30k evening spin marred slightly by 4 scobes deliberately stopping on the road in front of me as they crossed the R132 at Lissenhall. They had the LOLs as I swerved to stay up and away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Went out to get a few easy miles in. Ended up coming off worse for wear. Some fat ass walked out from behind a bus shelter, saw me and just stood in the cycle track. Tried to hop the ridiculously high kerb as I had nowhere else to go and came tumbling off at about 35 - 40 kph.

Hang on, if you hadn't the time to react to brake properly what was he
    supposed to do a bleedin' backward ninja sommersault outta the way?
    That's why you don't travel right past bustops @ 40kph, that's car speed!
    What it it was a child that had stepped out from behind it?
    F**K them wha, strava time is all important huh...

Was this a cycle track that runs right beside the bustop or a
    bustop/path/kerb/cycle track/kerb/road setup?

Glad you weren't hurt btw. Just glad nobody was either :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Hang on, if you hadn't the time to react to brake properly what was he
    supposed to do a bleedin' backward ninja sommersault outta the way?
    That's why you don't travel right past bustops @ 40kph, that's car speed!
    What it it was a child that had stepped out from behind it?
    F**K them wha, strava time is all important huh...

Was this a cycle track that runs right beside the bustop or a
    bustop/path/kerb/cycle track/kerb/road setup?

Glad you weren't hurt btw. Just glad nobody was either :eek:

There's a drop down between the two. There's about a half a foot of a drop between the path and cycle track. The cycle track is the same level as the road. There was no reason for him to be there.

Done my best time on Howth Hill from Sutton side tonight - 8:30. I like riding in the dark, its easier to concentrate, no distractions, only you and the pain :D

Coming back I've noticed that it is harder to tell those super bright bike lights from the oncoming traffic than the dimmer ones. I had a close call with some fast bloke coming from the front, just didn't see his magicshine:eek:

Not-so bright and flashing were the easiest to spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Alek wrote: »
    Done my best time on Howth Hill from Sutton side tonight - 8:30. I like riding in the dark, its easier to concentrate, no distractions, only you and the pain :D

Coming back I've noticed that it is harder to tell those super bright bike lights from the oncoming traffic than the dimmer ones. I had a close call with some fast bloke coming from the front, just didn't see his magicshine:eek:

Not-so bright and flashing were the easiest to spot.

This has to be some sexual innuendo.

Party bus this way
    >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Got my first set of shoes and cleets so did 10k to break them in. Found that my right knee is killing me so will adjust the cleet and go again after lunch, promised my 2yr old nephew I would take him for juice/ coffee
    https://www.strava.com/activities/95341228

• Registered Users Posts: 31 givusapush

72k today.newcastle/rathcoole/naas/newbridge/back to naas/staffan/ardclogh/newcastle.lovely day for it.25kph average.happy enough with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

lasair wrote: »
    Got my first set of shoes and cleets so did 10k to break them in. Found that my right knee is killing me so will adjust the cleet and go again after lunch, promised my 2yr old nephew I would take him for juice/ coffee
    https://www.strava.com/activities/95341228

You might need to higher your saddle slightly now to compensate for the cleats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭nilhg

Got up this morning and looked at the weather radar, formed the opinion that the mist might clear for a while, so headed on, I was partly right, it did clear, for about 5 minutes......

An enjoyable if damp 50km was the result, thinking about going out in it was much worse than being out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

nice spin out the N81 damp to start and to finish but still mild enough to enjoy it, 120 in all now to hit the couch for the rest of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

i cycled 300 meters to local coffee shop. then i cycled 300 meters home. I forgot to start strava though. gutted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Cycled to Blackrock for a Hot Chocolate, a slice of Lemon Drizzle cake and a walk around the market. Horrible weather today but I did manage to pick myself up a copy of "Borstal Boy" and "Bad day in Blackrock" which made it all the more worthwhile.

http://www.strava.com/activities/95664034

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Resurrected the hybrid for a spin on the greenway today. 15km in broke 6spokes the chain mushed up. To top it off a pedal sheared off...guess the crankset had it as well.

Just another chance to buy a few more parts I guess. No harm done and learned of the eerie wobble one has when going downhill with a few broken spokes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement