Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

65km today. My road cycling will be reduced greatly now due to change in work hours. Turbo trainer will have to take over. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Just shy of 12km up ticknock on the enduro bike, first time I've been back on the MTB since august. Savage. Savage. Savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

To a guy on white Cervelo going from Howth about 6:30pm - you may spit on my front wheel, you are still slower. Against a 30 year old hybrid, on top of that.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭TOLLOT

cycled the greenway today from Westport to Achill and back
    magic scenery, kudos to all those who put this route together . dragged herself along , hired an electric bike for herself, worked an absolute treat . enabled us to cover the distance in both directions.
    highly recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Last few days have been fairly boring. Been on the turbo most days since the crash on Thursday. Legs seem fine apart from the massive scab running from hip to knee. Just waiting on the delivery of my new helmet before I hit the roads again, old one got destroyed. Did 35k last night and 20 tonight on the turbo. I hate using it but every little bit counts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Well today's cycle was very nice. Went out about 6.30 in the morning. It was very cold but boy was it nice. Clear sky, full big moon lighting the road ahead. If only every morning would be so.

But it was Sunday when it all went down.

Managed to pop my crash cherry nice and proper.
    Was out in Bantry with group of cyclists. Nice part of the country BTW.
    About 20k in to 82k cycle we stopped on top of the hill for a bit and to regroup.
    All there we took off again. Few meters in I realized I had my helmet unstrapped.
    So stopped again to sort it out and I'm glad I did. Others kept on going.

Road was all downhill from there in more ways then one.
    Was pushing a bit to catch up with the rest of the group. Was doing about 65km/h, on a damp, unfamiliar road when I saw hairpin not to far in front of me.
    Tried my best to slow down. Soon as I hit the back brakes, wheel just would lock up and start to slid sideways. By now I knew crash was inevitable. In a desperate attempt to slow down any bit I squeezed my front brakes.

Anyway, did what looked like unsuccessful front-flip attempt on a road bike. Landed head first in to a bog.

Before you ask. No damage done to the bike, knocked my cadence sensor off line alright.

A bit of damage to myself, but nothing that few days wont fix.

I reckon that if I just had to crash that day, it was one of the nicest places to do so. Still though I can't recommend it.
    Lesson learned. (hard way as usual)

Here is strava, keep an eye on cadence
    http://app.strava.com/activities/95656426

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brugmand

Yesterday's cycle was good, 12km around glengarriff and back home, the hill up to my house is long and steep,but before I could even get back to the house I crashed my bike. Completely bending it, and today I had planed a time trial with my friend. But at least I had my mountain. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

85Km today out to Dunleer then Clogherhead, Annagassan and back towards home. First 40K was grand but then turned fully into the wind and it killed me.
    Some of this is the Louth Costal ride that's going this Sunday, but I'll be away for that.
    Not done a lot of cycling the past 2 months due to holidays / sickness and I'm not fully over a chest infection but I was horrified at how slow I was the second half of this spin.
    Must try harder.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/406657903

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Short spin today after a number of days off the bike. Up cruagh road, out to Johnny Foxes and back by the Blue Light and Lamb Doyles. Felt great cycling up Cruagh road and actually managed a personal best on the bridge to bridge segment of 5:11. Normally would just sit and spin a very easy gear all the way up, but alternated between climbing out of the saddle and pushing a gear or two higher than usual when I did sit down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Last few days have been fairly boring. Been on the turbo most days since the crash on Thursday. Legs seem fine apart from the massive scab running from hip to knee. Just waiting on the delivery of my new helmet before I hit the roads again, old one got destroyed. Did 35k last night and 20 tonight on the turbo. I hate using it but every little bit counts.

That's big mileage on turbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

Went down to Ballyhoura today and did my first proper mountain biking. I have a Scott mtb that is 12 years old and along with 2 pals we headed off sown the trails. Had an absolute blast and even when i came off the bike and face planted into the bog i still was having a great time. We did 24 km in total over 2 hours and will definitely be heading back.The only downside is that its a 2 hour drive each way for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭fg10291

Usual 28 k commute, got hit by car on way home , no major damage I'm still in one piece, shocking windy this morning, felt like I wasn't moving at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

fg10291 wrote: »
    Usual 28 k commute, got hit by car on way home ,
    Terrible - hit-and-run or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I just finished a bike build project yesterday and in my haste to get it on the road today I neglected to give it the once over....after 35 minutes cycling the left crank arm fell off when I was doing 30kmh on the old N4. I must not have tightened the pinch bolts. Also in my haste I forgot to pack any tools. The rest of the story involves a phone call, some one legged cycling and a wife and car load of kids coming to my rescue. On the upside I found a lovely tax disk holder on the side of the road, it will look nice on my motorbike (note to self: make sure to tighten it!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭fg10291

Hi rainy day, no after he hit me he stopped, not hit snd run, wasn't hurt thankfully, was well lit up he said he just didn't see me, I know I was lucky to get away unhurt, I suppose s#¥t happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Disaster today.

Departed the house at about 2pm, got a puncture 10 minutes into the cycle, replaced the tube at the side of the road, then 5 minutes later I got another goddam puncture.
    Nobody around to come out and collect me, so I ended up walking home.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just cycled back from work in 2 degrees and sleet. Felt tired after a busy shift, so it seemed to take an age to do 8km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭nilhg

Nice spin around Mid Kildare this morning, most eventful part was the "fight" between two chaps at the coffee stop in Prosperous, some choice language and flinging of coke bottles was the prelude, I left them at it and headed on.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Had a good cycle this morning. Been cycling to work from Monday to Friday doing a total of 5.4KM per day.

Decide to take a break yesterday and start agin today.

I took the bike this morning a cycled past my place of work near n25 in wexford then all the back to place of work and round about a nursing home back to the round about near n25 and them straight home.

Total cycle was about 9km. I'll be doing this next week.

My fitness is gradually improving. Might try cycling to ardcavan soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Had a good cycle this morning. Been cycling to work from Monday to Friday doing a total of 5.4KM per day.

Decide to take a break yesterday and start agin today.

I took the bike this morning a cycled past my place of work near n25 in wexford then all the back to place of work and round about a nursing home back to the round about near n25 and them straight home.

Total cycle was about 9km. I'll be doing this next week.

My fitness is gradually improving. Might try cycling to ardcavan soon.

Good to see your distances are going up! I'm from Wexford too, if you like challenging yourself, you could go out to Murrintown and then try to get up Forth Mountain. Fantastic views if you get to the top.

If you don't like climbing (yet!), there's some great back-roads if you head down towards Kilmore Quay, Tomhaggard, or Carne.

You can have a look through some of the rides I did this summer here, I found some lovely routes. Click the blue bars in the middle to see all the different weeks.

http://www.strava.com/athletes/1478161

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

147km down to Athlone. Averaged 30kph. It was cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

55k from Navan around by Carlanstown, Moynalty and Kells and home by Cortown and Greetiagh. Struggled badly on the first part, no energy. Glad that I was passing the mammy's house so a quick coffee and a bit of fruit cake and I was off again. But the fitness of summer is a fading memory now and the weight is creeping back up. Not getting out enough, need a bit of motivation to get restarted. Not in a club but thinking of joining one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Quick 12k this afternoon, Into Aldi, got a jacket and pants. Sweet jesus the jacket really shows the lumps and bumps. I need to lose a few Kg's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

http://www.strava.com/activities/96825253

66.7km in 2:50:49.

Went out to visit someone in Trim with the intention of cycling back to make it a century. However I took my drop bar converted Giant Escape 2 - hereto referred to as Commu-tourer with a rack and racktop bags, upgraded BB and 28mm Rubinos.

Got as far as Chapelizod before my front mudguard disassembled itself...then lost confidence in my memory of the route and let Google Maps guide me, which promptly led to two major detours which added the extra KMs...also Captains Hill in Leixlip is a b@stard.

Really noticed the difference in the flexy frame on Commutourer and at times (especially climbing) it felt like pedalling a sponge, got to Trim feeling like I'd already done over a 100km and having taken an hour longer than on the roadbike then called a friend for extraction.

My glutes feel like they could stop a bullet and I had no dramas on descents, but not the most pleasant or encouraging cycling experience I've ever had.

Definitely time to contemplate putting the flat bars back on Commutourer and giving it to my wife as a regular commuter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

http://www.strava.com/activities/96825253

66.7km in 2:50:49.

Went out to visit someone in Trim with the intention of cycling back to make it a century. However I took my drop bar converted Giant Escape 2 - hereto referred to as Commu-tourer with a rack and racktop bags, upgraded BB and 28mm Rubinos.

Got as far as Chapelizod before my front mudguard disassembled itself...then lost confidence in my memory of the route and let Google Maps guide me, which promptly led to two major detours which added the extra KMs...also Captains Hill in Leixlip is a b@stard.

Really noticed the difference in the flexy frame on Commutourer and at times (especially climbing) it felt like pedalling a sponge, got to Trim feeling like I'd already done over a 100km and having taken an hour longer than on the roadbike then called a friend for extraction.

My glutes feel like they could stop a bullet and I had no dramas on descents, but not the most pleasant or encouraging cycling experience I've ever had.

Definitely time to contemplate putting the flat bars back on Commutourer and giving it to my wife as a regular commuter.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/436307697

Here is you brother, 66.17km in 2:46. We might have even seen each other. First ride in two months nearly. Coming off night shifts and 50+ hour weeks. Also my first ever real winter ride chance as I finally had money to buy some winter gear last week. It was an experience. Forgot to eat anything this morning in a rush and took few a biscuits. Faded badly at the end due to not enough food but fitness felt good for fatbody. New gear off wiggle was nice but cold got to me on third hour a bit when the night set in. When I got in and stopped peddling I suddenly felt ice like.

I then jumped straight into the bath, turned on the shower HOT and let a hot bath fill around me. Christ I never thought a bath could feel so good. Pile of grub and rake of beers ongoing.

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/436307697

Here is you brother, 66.17km in 2:46. We might have even seen each other. First ride in two months nearly. Coming off night shifts and 50+ hour weeks. Also my first ever real winter ride chance as I finally had money to buy some winter gear last week. It was an experience. Forgot to eat anything this morning in a rush and took few a biscuits. Faded badly at the end due to not enough food but fitness felt good for fatbody. New gear off wiggle was nice but cold got to me on third hour a bit when the night set in. When I got in and stopped peddling I suddenly felt ice like.

I then jumped straight into the bath, turned on the shower HOT and let a hot bath fill around me. Christ I never thought a bath could feel so good. Pile of grub and rake of beers ongoing.

I would have been quite conspicuous what with my cargo rack with my front mudguard tied to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I died a miserable fúcking death today. Went for a nice spin on the mountain bike yesterday on the start of the Sligo Way from the parents place in Lough Talt out through the forestry to Lough Easky, got properly off road for a good few km, some of it was a tough slog but the granny ring got me through the bog and up the top of the hill eventually. The biggest climb was 113m avg 7.9 gradient but when you're spinning on heather, wet rocks and peat instead of tarmac you know all about it. I'd have been quicker carrying the bike through the worst of it but I'm nothing if not stubborn.
    Anyway I did the 22k in 1;20 and got home in fairly good shape albeit a bit damp but the legs weren't too sore.

Got up this morning and decided to have another spin down the bog roads between Lough Talt and Ballina. Glorious sunny morning, nearly felt like heading off without the jacket it was that mild. Off I went with a banana in my pocket to do a leisurely spin of about 25 k. Took a right fork instead of a left and ended up miles off course, waaaay down the bog almost into Dromore West instead of Ballina.

I could have stopped and checked a map but I have never been lost before so there was no need to:rolleyes:

Anyway I eventually got to the point where I said I'd be aswell just turn and go back the way I came so the 25k round trip was now turned into 50. Still, I had my banana.....

Then the weather changed and a freezing fog took hold all around me in the space of a few minutes so I stepped up the pace a bit as my fingers were starting to freeze. That didn't work out well at all. First I started to get a cramp so I had to hop off the bike for a few minutes. Then I started to get really cold all over so I had to get going again to warm up.

Then it got worse, about 10 k from home halfway up a small hill my legs just went to jelly, totally shot. I never had that happen before, couldnt manage in high gears at all, barely managed the bloody granny ring. Got to the top in bits and then I just got weak as píss and almost fell off the bike. Complete blood sugar slump. I though I was going to faint, had to sit down on the fence to recover, all the time getting colder and colder while the sweat was running off me and I could hear my heart thumping in my ears. At that stage I was seconds away from ringing home for someone to come and pick me up. I got going again but I hadn't the strength of a kitten. I literally crawled along the road just trying to get home. Strava was not impressed.

Anyway,the last few k were fairly flat and a downhill glide at the end got me home and I swear to fúck, I haven't felt as wretched or deflated in a long time.
    49.8k in 2:17;21, average speed of 21.8 kph but I was stopped with the cramp and weakness for almost 20 minutes in total on top of that.

Staggered in the door pale as a ghost and spent the next half an hour with my arse against the fireplace cramming my face with junk and drinking sugarry tea. Went out a badass came home a dumbass. Still, lessons were learned...

TL;DR - Have a proper breakfast, wear more layers and read the fúcking map before going for a spin

For MTBing I think you should take your Ten Essentials just as if you're going hillwalking.

Roadies stay on roads so they can afford to skim by with a lighter version of this (I do carry a cylume as a way of marking my position in case I ever crash into a ditch when no one is around to see me though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Sunday
    Celbridge – Athgoe – Blue Gardinia on N81 – Bohernabreena – Glencree – Tallaght – Saggart – Celbridge

Nice spin, everything went great until I came down from the Dublin mountains at Tallaght. Some clown was driving on the wrong side of the road, I couldn’t believe it and I really thought I was about to take a hit. Just aswell I was on the left of my lane and I managed to squeeze by. I locked the brakes and the back wheel came out but managed to straighten up.

10 mins later I was off the bike at fettercairn with a puncture. What a joke that was. I had two tire remover things, one snapped and the good one sprang off and went through a railing that I couldn’t get back without a long walk in cleats. I finally managed to get the old tube out but there was something up with the new tube, it just wouldn’t inflate so I had to patch the puncture and get going. Cold and low blood sugar, not nice. Hot cup of tea and toast when I got back, very nice.

This pump and this patch kit are brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Went for a spin out to Howth earlier. Had planned to go around the Summit but it was pretty dark by the time I arrived and I'm starting to come down with a flu so just stopped off for a panini and coffee by the pier and then headed back home.

http://www.strava.com/activities/97045082

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement