Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Sunday
    Celbridge – Athgoe – Blue Gardinia on N81 – Bohernabreena – Glencree – Tallaght – Saggart – Celbridge

Nice spin, everything went great until I came down from the Dublin mountains at Tallaght. Some clown was driving on the wrong side of the road, I couldn’t believe it and I really thought I was about to take a hit. Just aswell I was on the left of my lane and I managed to squeeze by. I locked the brakes and the back wheel came out but managed to straighten up.

10 mins later I was off the bike at fettercairn with a puncture. What a joke that was. I had two tire remover things, one snapped and the good one sprang off and went through a railing that I couldn’t get back without a long walk in cleats. I finally managed to get the old tube out but there was something up with the new tube, it just wouldn’t inflate so I had to patch the puncture and get going. Cold and low blood sugar, not nice. Hot cup of tea and toast when I got back, very nice.

This pump and this patch kit are brilliant.

That patch will fail after 1000k trust me. They turn brittle and scrunch up letting air in. Good to just get home but pull it off and use a rubber one at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    That patch will fail after 1000k trust me. They turn brittle and scrunch up letting air in. Good to just get home but pull it off and use a rubber one at home.

Cheers, better still, I'll replace the tube as it's old but I'll remember this for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I cycled my usual route around Athlone Town this evening.

Made a fruit juice from 2 Oranges, 2 Apples, a Lemon and a Lime, put 200ml of it into a bidon diluted with 400ml of water. I had some serious energy this evening.
    Strava estimated the average power to be 1.5 w/kg, that's up from my usual 1.3 w/kg.
    I seen a bunch of people in Burgess Park doing running training. I was so tempted to join in and do some laps with them.
    I really pushed myself this evening and I'm proud of getting nine personal bests. I can't wait until next week when I'm free for a month to cycle hard.
    The GPS dropped out at the start, when I went over the bridge and exploded down by the church to the bowling alley.

http://www.strava.com/activities/97394495

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

Came off the bike on my commute this morning resulting in a scabby knee and bruised wrist. Turned onto Gardner from Dorset (Auld Triangle), front tire lost traction and slipped while turning. There were a few cyclists behind me and fair play to them for their concern, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Lost the back wheel making a right turn yesterday evening turning right onto Sheriff St. from Guild St. I think there was a metal shore/plate on the road. Gave myself a right good fall - used my head to cushion the impact (as F^%*&^%*^%*^ usual). Fractured the derailleur hanger, but managed to limp the bike home. Sore this morning.

Saw another faller at the bottom of Hollis St. with a group of people around them - 'hope they're ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Headed back home to Mayo on Tuesday to say hello to the family.
    Decided to bring the bike along with me too.

Found this cycle to be a lot more difficult than the equivalent distance in Dublin. The poor condition of the roads/elevation/and strong wind against me really did take it out of me.

Made me all the more satisfied when I reached my destination though. :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/97479084

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Had two pedestrians run across the road when their light was red in front of two cars and then me at the bottom of Lower Abbey Street coming onto Memorial Road last night, thankfully my wits were about me, jammed on with both breaks but with the greasy road the rear tire stepped out lucky not to go down! I genuinely think pedestrians are worse in the winter than the summer in Dublin and its not for the lack of lighting on my part!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I think in these damp cold conditions and with soggy leaves you have to cut average speed 20%, increase the frontal hazard / breaking distance by 3 and corner 50% slower or you will eventually go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Jocry wrote: »
    Had two pedestrians run across the road when their light was red in front of two cars and then me at the bottom of Lower Abbey Street coming onto Memorial Road last night, thankfully my wits were about me, jammed on with both breaks but with the greasy road the rear tire stepped out lucky not to go down! I genuinely think pedestrians are worse in the winter than the summer in Dublin and its not for the lack of lighting on my part!!!

It always amazes me, the amount of people that just step out onto a road without looking, not just in front of me, but in general. It's all ages too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Took a half day from work today and done 50km this afternoon. (drumkeen>Conyoy>Raphoe>St Johnston> and return) it was an absolutely lovely afternoon, dull and cloudy but 12degrees and zero wind so no need for layers. Would have gone further except light was fading and so headed for home around 3:30pm. If this weather keeps up it'll make the winter very short!

• Advertisement

ozzy jr wrote: »
    It always amazes me, the amount of people that just step out onto a road without looking, not just in front of me, but in general. It's all ages too.

I guess they think that the rider will take the brunt of the damage and they will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Lost the back wheel making a right turn yesterday evening turning right onto Sheriff St. from Guild St. I think there was a metal shore/plate on the road. Gave myself a right good fall - used my head to cushion the impact (as F^%*&^%*^%*^ usual). Fractured the derailleur hanger, but managed to limp the bike home. Sore this morning.

Saw another faller at the bottom of Hollis St. with a group of people around them - 'hope they're ok.
    Glad you're ok.
    The way the wheels skid on those manhole covers is scarey, happened twice to me on the way home tonight, also saw a pretty bad accident in Ranelagh involving a cyclist, fire engine and garda were on the scene, hope they're ok.
    Was planning on a 90min spin this evening but the greasiness of the roads meant I just ate a mince pie and lit the fire, and I ain't shifting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 40km tonight with my new headlight. Road lit up very well so im be out cycling at night more often now as i feel safer.

Decided to ride from the Radisson to Monksland, then to Kilmartin's, back to Monksland and finally returned to the Radisson.

Everything was going good, I was interacting well with traffic. Pointing out which way I was intending to take, at junctions, to the motorists, who were responding well. No problems... until I was coming back in to AIT.

Some asshole decided to do a U-turn at the roundabout without indicating. He pulled in up ahead, I flipped him off and went about my business. Next roundabout at KFC, the driver in front of me decided to do a U-Turn at that roundabout, but the car at the next exit decided to pull onto the roundabout, I was in the middle of the roundabout at this stage, had to brake hard from 20km/h. Bike leaned over to the right, but the G-forces pulled my bodyweight over to the left, and kept going left. Elbow hit the road and slid a few feet.

I was on the ground, cars drove on. I took stock, I was still in one piece. I got up, parked the bike at a wall. My elbow was pinky were sore. Elbow is still sore, I haven't looked at it yet and it's getting sorer as I type.
    Bike was OK. Bar tape plug was on the ground. Front shifter was bent in, I bent it out. Spun the wheels and checked the gears. Reattached my front light. I took a minute or two to compose myself.
    I got back on the bike and carried out the remaining 22 minutes of my ride.

Yahoo weather said 0% chance of rain, that wasn't true. Enjoyed it. My Garmin Edge 810 is in Dublin, so I should have it by Monday/Tuesday.
    I really hope the elbow is not too bad, as I have the rest of the year off work and plan much cycling in Galway.

http://www.strava.com/activities/97723387

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

.The only downside is that its a 2 hour drive each way for us.

Totally worth it though eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

25k this morning, Dunboyne to Caslteknock and back.

Not as cold as I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Nice spin this morning with Moynalty CC. Bailieboro, Virginia, Kells and back. Around 55k. Nice pace for the time of year, got tasty enough in places. Big thanks to the lads and lassies for bringing me. Hope they get big support in Dalgan Park tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Wife was out last night so woke me up at 0130-0200 when she was trying to be quiet coming in... meant I didn't want to get up this morning for the club cycle but after hitting snooze 3 times I eventually got up, got the bike out of the shed and into the van and headed off to Lucan. Just about got to Lucan when I realised I'd left my cycle shoes near the front door (Probably from rushing to get out after staying in bed so long) and knew I wouldn't get home and back in time so decided to head off by myself and hope to meet up with them at the coffee stop.

Set off from D15 and headed up towards Wards Cross then up to Killsallaghan. Took a left at the Ward River and really felt the headwind! Knew it was going to be in my face for a good while as I headed across to Ratoath taking the Kilbride Road and then from Kilbride to Summerhill. Weather was lovely - not warm but not cold either. From Summerhill I headed to Kilcock and then Maynooth for the coffee stop. Ordered a coffee and then realised I'd left my phone and money at home. They were kind enough to let me pay next week. Saw the advanced group come in for coffee but I'd been there over 20 mins so headed off. Home via Leixlip, Lucan, Larraghcon and Clonnee for a handy 95km with a 28km avg - surprising with being solo and the headwind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Long story short(ish)... missus wanted a bike for her birthday at the start of summer and I got sick of seeing it not used.....

So Mr. 40 a day smoker and general hedonist (no kids!), about two stone and a half overweight aged 40+ decides to encourage it's use by digging out an old bike from the shed and offering to go for a spin one Sunday at the end of June. The things one does for love.

Surprisingly after a 7km spin, he did not have a heart attack.

After a coffee break, ventured another 7km. Him, still not having keeled over from a heart attack, enjoys seeing Dublin from the saddle of a bike.
    Another 7km home and still no need to dial 999 but defo needed a shower.

After a few small spins over a few weekends during July and after being introduced to Strava by some bike mad work colleagues, Mr 40 a day decides to try and cycle to work location one Sunday.

The 10.5km journey did not kill him. Nor did the 10.5km back.

So in August Mr. 40 a day decides to cycle to work two or three times a week, if possible (We have two hotel type showers at work)

Mr. 40 a day is quite enjoying his commuting, so much so that every now and then he takes the long route home of 17.5km. He is also getting a bit braver and moving out from the gutter.

During September Mr. 40 a day actually learns how to cycle. :)

It turns out it is not all about being in the highest gear possibly and moving down when you can't hack it. Cadence and all that!
    And even though it was very painful walking up the stairs to the attic in the evening, cycling the wrong way for so long probably did increase leg strength, a lot. Youtube also shows how to fix punctures and stuff :(

Work colleagues convince Mr. 40 a day to get "proper" road bike. He blows his budget but had the bike to work scheme to ease the pain. A lot of pain. The bike is only used at the weekends for fun, the cast iron one is still used for the commute.

He Learns how to cycle up hills properly!

It's getting quite dark now @ 7am during October and Mr. 40 a day is getting scared :(
    He buys lots of lights and sort of looks like a mobile Christmas tree. He cares not.

One very, very dark morning towards the end of October, 2km into the morning commute, the heavens open. Torrential style. Mr. 40 a day has never felt so invigorated. Seeing all the people looking so miserable in their cars and at bus stops, and him grinning from ear to ear getting lashed on.
    He also learnt that day, that there is a difference between water proof and water repellent. Repellent does not cut it during a torrential downpour! Buys Oxford water proof ruck sack cover.

Then the clocks go back. Mr 40 a day is saddened by this :( Prefers the dark morning to the dark evenings.

So roll on November.....

I have a car but choose to commute these days. I love cycling in the dark and rain (weird, I know) Not so much in the wind though. I drive into work once a week to replenish my ironed shirts and what not.

Managed to clock up 400km for November. My first 50km spin on my road bike and the rest commuting on my cast iron, cheap ass*d eurotrek!

A big hello to all the people I see cycling from the general Woodstown/Firhouse/Walkinstown area. I do wonder if one of you is Seamus from here :)

Still on 40 a day but a lot slimmer and the missus bike hasn't moved out of the kitchen since August :/ but I plan to train her into being a cycling commuter during the spring next year.

Hope you all don't mind me sharing that. Bored, waiting on some one to get ready!

[Edit]
    *sigh*

Wrong thread :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Great story unknown soldier but kick those 40 a day. You will enjoy your cycling and your life far more. I say this as someone who smoked 40 a day until 2 years ago and took up cycling a year ago.

Anyhow nice 40 km spin around Howth, clontarf and Portmarnock this afternoon. Cool but little wind made things pleasant. Lost a rear light though. Only discovered when I got home. Suspect it is still lying on the tracks at Sutton dart station but too lazy to go back and check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

veetwin wrote: »
    Great story unknown soldier but kick those 40 a day. You will enjoy your cycling and your life far more. I say this as someone who smoked 40 a day until 2 years ago and took up cycling a year ago.

Anyhow nice 40 km spin around Howth, clontarf and Portmarnock this afternoon. Cool but little wind made things pleasant. Lost a rear light though. Only discovered when I got home. Suspect it is still lying on the tracks at Sutton dart station but too lazy to go back and check.

Ditto..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ciann

Woke up nice & early so decided to go for a spin.
    First things first, breakfast... No milk :(
    Then couldn't find my leg warmers.
    Was a bit chilly but I started to get rained on and called it a day. About 12km in the saddle, time to go back to bed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

Totally worth it though eh?

Absolutely was worth it..so much so we were down there again this week and did the white route..had a blast once again... 35 km and my poor old 12 year old Scott bike has suffered some injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

77km with 1500m ascent this morning, 3:20 rolling... Was it just me today or is the Roundwood > Sally Gap the hardest way of them all?

Scored Kippure for the first time. The very end bit is ****! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

First cycle today in ages since the baby arrived. It was only a short 25k but I was so happy to be back on my bike that I was nearly smiling all the way around! Small ring and it was still a test and the hammers were mighty tight.

Absence has absolutely made this heart grow fonder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

100km solo with about 1200m climbing.

No food only water. No cravings at all, this high fat diet is the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

ford2600 wrote: »
    100km solo with about 1200m climbing.

No food only water. No cravings at all, this high fat diet is the business.

Very impressive. What did you eat before the ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savker

TOLLOT wrote: »
    cycled the greenway today from Westport to Achill and back
    magic scenery, kudos to all those who put this route together . dragged herself along , hired an electric bike for herself, worked an absolute treat . enabled us to cover the distance in both directions.
    highly recommended

Hi, Myself and some friends are thinking of heading to westport to cycle this route, as our fitness levels are not what they used to be, any idea how long time wise it should take to cycle
    ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Very impressive. What did you eat before the ride?

Fruit salad with greek yoghurt and a few nuts.Coffee with cream

Have done 200km with just a fistful of nuts.

Way to go for long distance, I'm not fast either which helps!

Also have done 6hrs very physical work regularly without wating. Very practical when said work is in middle of wood!

Meatballs with chorizo sausage, tomato and chilli sauce in casserole dish in oven. Liberal coconut fat in there too. This will be divine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Savker wrote: »
    Hi, Myself and some friends are thinking of heading to westport to cycle this route, as our fitness levels are not what they used to be, any idea how long time wise it should take to cycle
    ta

~80km there and back again, allow from 4 to 8 hours start to finish. From Achill originally myself. Terrain is cycle track and not road.. its basically gravelly so it takes a bit of getting used to. There are plenty of hire companies etc... most will collect you en-route as well if needed. I would plan it a bit, depends on the fitness of the group. But there is extraction from it if needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement