Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Sarz91 wrote: »
    First spin back on the road since crashing. Was going nowhere fast. What's the story with pedestrians looking at you and then casually strolling into the cycle track? Happened 3 or 4 times today. It was the reason for my crash a few weeks ago. Maybe I've just noticed it more since. It's infuriating. I mean I don't think Id care as much if they didn't look. The fact that they see and then continue to walk in front of you anyway is what gets to me. I was tempted to hit them a slap. I'm not generally this easily irritated just something about it really gets to me.

Get yourself a horn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Found a route to increase the daily cycle to and from work, from 21km to 26.5km by adding 2.4 on the way in via an industrial estate and the rest on the way home.

I'm no Cycle_dr 1 but every little bit helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Zyzz wrote: »
    Get yourself a horn.

Had one guy with his two young kids walk out in front of me. Had waited at the lights for my green... the kids run across as the lights in front of me. The Dad meanders across the road behind them carrying a box... kids at this point are on the other side. Just say to him "Hurry up it's gone green..."

What happens next is not unexpected as I push away through the lights all I hear is "Shut the F*** up!".... brave guy... the stuff of legends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Another 50k in the desert yesterday.
    Bit of a TdF roundabout moment approaching.
    FA429B3D-9CF3-42E9-894C-7B7EE71BDEAD.jpg

Heading out to the Yas F1 circuit in Abu Dhabi this evening. It's opened up once a week for people to train on it,be it cycling,running etc.
    Better not turn into something akin to the Clontarf cycle lane.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

71km done so far commuting this week. Don't think I have the whole cycling/dressing thing sussed :(

Is it just a cycling winter jacket over under armour? Or over a cycling top?

The state of my under armour when I take it off. Soaking!

I'm doing it wrong :/

Its very mild which doesnt help. I did 75km this mornkng an soaked through 3,layers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

godtabh wrote: »
    Its very mild which doesnt help. I did 75km this mornkng an soaked through 3,layers!

Don't knock it, rather be soaked with sweat than cold rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Lovely 33 km spin along the coast from portmarnock up killiney hill. Right at the top of the hill the entire rear derailleur snapped off. It's now hanging off the side of the bike and I'm on a dart heading back to the northside after a very uncomfortable walk down killiney hill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

20k to work, 20k back. So mild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

45k avg 28k, as long bibs were in the wash the shorts had to do, wasn't a bit cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Nice spin out from Tyrrelstown up to Wards Cross then down to Cool Quay and the Naul via Garristown. From the I headed over to Stamullin, Gormanstown and then up to Julianstown. I was having a lovely time up to then. Keeping the HR in the right range and enjoy some roads I've not used before and others I've only ever done in the other direction.

As soon as I turned at Julianstown for Duleek that all changed as I hit the headwind for the first time. From Duleek across to the N2 was the longest most arduous slog ever. I thought the road would never end. Had to stop and refuel then headed home via Ratoath, Fairyhouse and Clonee. Just over 88km done at <26km per hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jabel wrote: »
    Don't knock it, rather be soaked with sweat than cold rain

I just meant its hard to get the layers right in this weather. Might wear shorts tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Got my Garmin Edge 810 yesterday, I put it on the bike today.

Cycled a loop near my house, similar to the Black Rose GP loop, only wider.
    Climbed my first cat 4 hill into a strong headwind, it was tough. I came home and had a sleep afterwards. Enjoying being on holidays from work.

http://www.strava.com/activities/99554537

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Lights.
    Stop.
    Fall.

Taxis have a great craic.

Lesson learned - unclip, FFS. What a shame.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Nice spin out from Tyrrelstown up to Wards Cross then down to Cool Quay and the Naul via Garristown. From the I headed over to Stamullin, Gormanstown and then up to Julianstown. I was having a lovely time up to then. Keeping the HR in the right range and enjoy some roads I've not used before and others I've only ever done in the other direction.

As soon as I turned at Julianstown for Duleek that all changed as I hit the headwind for the first time. From Duleek across to the N2 was the longest most arduous slog ever. I thought the road would never end. Had to stop and refuel then headed home via Ratoath, Fairyhouse and Clonee. Just over 88km done at <26km per hour.

Did something similar yesterday, had about 70k done before I hit the N2 Southbound heading towards Garristown. Painful. I thought Strava was going to auto-pause. Even the normally fast Garristown to Swords R130 section turned into a slog. Memo to self - Wind Guru website displays knots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

punishment pass last night on my commute home by some clown in a white mondeo. blared the horn and passed within 20cm of me. Wide road to, at least a 4m wide lane, i was about 1m out from the left due to all the loose gravel from recent road works :mad: the three cars in front and one behind managed to pass me without issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I took the afternoon off and did 67 KM around Wicklow. I tried out some recently acquired bike lights; the brightest of the front ones died somewhere on the road from the Sallygap to Glencree so it was just as well I had 2 others lighting brightly. Well, one, the other being a cheapo AAA jobbie. I was well lit up at the back also with 3 lights and an armband with LEDS. If my brighter light hadn't given up the ghost earlier, I'd say almost anyone in Dublin would have seen me as I turned right, down the hill at the Viewing Point. :eek:

It was very windy in parts but super mild. Nice way to spend an afternoon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

did a i hour stint, 34k on a stationery bike tonight in the gym, does that count ? , every time I looked up there was a handsome bloke staring back at me, couldn't get away from him:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Had not one or two but three close calls with traffic this evening...

Twonkette number one decided the yield sign coming out of the FAS head office car park didn't apply to her and even tried blame me for joining her road and not giving her right of way.

Mr Mc Twonkerson decided to change lane at the lights as I was about to pass him and told me not to bother moaning he knows he was wrong but nothing happened so its all ok

And my Fav of the 3 was Ms I have to collect my little Twonks from the creche at 6 so its ok for me to hold up the Malahide road traffic while I reverse out onto the roads and shout "you're not on a F**king race track".... I swiftly reminded her I was on a bike and a bus would have smashed her back door in if she tried it on one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

35km yesterday at avg speed 27km/h.

31km today at an avg speed of 26km/h in severe winds and rain to add to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

route66 wrote: »
    I took the afternoon off and did 67 KM around Wicklow. I tried out some recently acquired bike lights; the brightest of the front ones died somewhere on the road from the Sallygap to Glencree so it was just as well I had 2 others lighting brightly. Well, one, the other being a cheapo AAA jobbie. I was well lit up at the back also with 3 lights and an armband with LEDS. If my brighter light hadn't given up the ghost earlier, I'd say almost anyone in Dublin would have seen me as I turned right, down the hill at the Viewing Point. :eek:

It was very windy in parts but super mild. Nice way to spend an afternoon ;)

Don't use cheap lights to keep you safe in the mountains. If you are using rechargables, make sure they are well charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Don't use cheap lights to keep you safe in the mountains. If you are using rechargables, make sure they are well charged.

Agreed!

The light that ran out of juice is run from a battery pack of 4 X 18650 batteries (link). There is a battery indicator and that went from green to red after less than 2 hours and then switched off very soon afterwards.

My cheapo AAA front light would only be good enough for others to see me, it's no where near good enough to see anything with.

My third light (link) also has rechargeables but it's easy to carry a spare and I had one with me - but didn't need it. It's not as bright as the one above but it has a zoomable lens so it's ideal for use on the bike as long as you are not doing 50 km/h down a hill. If anyone is considering this type of light, you will also need batteries and a recharger. And something like this to mount on the handlebars - link. All in about €25.

The only "issue" I had - apart from the battery running out in one of my lights - was that I sent my missus a txt from the Sally Gap crossroads which she never got. I had always assumed that if you send a txt when you have no network coverage, the phone will send it when the coverage is reestablished. I can say for certain that with my O2 / Android combination, this is incorrect. "Where were you ?" ...

This was my first ride where a decent portion was in total darkness. I enjoyed it and would totally agree with the comment above that you need to be well prepared.

Windy this morning. Less than 100km to reach 10000km for the year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Have been restricted to the turbo due to work commitments for the past month or so, so snuck out for a couple of hours this morning. Short enough jaunt up Kilmashogue, through the woods over to Ticknock, and back down again on the old hybrid with cross tyres. Windy but unusually warm for this time of year, Aldi winter gear was way too hot. Great to get a few gulps of mountain air, and the Coilte tracks make a nice alternative to the roads on blowy days like today, although my legs were screaming at my fat ass to lose some weight on the ascent. Not a great distance covered, and an average speed that doesn't bear publishing, but good craic all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Would that route be do-able on a hybrid with 28mm smooth tyres or would I really need cross tyres?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

quozl wrote: »
    Would that route be do-able on a hybrid with 28mm smooth tyres or would I really need cross tyres?

I've done it on 32mm slicks (marathons), 28s should be no problem. You'll get some spin on the back wheel on steeper gravelly bits, and I find carrying a few extra pounds at the moment, I need the low gears. All adds to the fun really. If you haven't been down ticknock road before, keep an eye on your speed as it is steep enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

stecleary wrote: »
    Had not one or two but three close calls with traffic this evening...

Twonkette number one decided the yield sign coming out of the FAS head office car park didn't apply to her and even tried blame me for joining her road and not giving her right of way.

Mr Mc Twonkerson decided to change lane at the lights as I was about to pass him and told me not to bother moaning he knows he was wrong but nothing happened so its all ok

And my Fav of the 3 was Ms I have to collect my little Twonks from the creche at 6 so its ok for me to hold up the Malahide road traffic while I reverse out onto the roads and shout "you're not on a F**king race track".... I swiftly reminded her I was on a bike and a bus would have smashed her back door in if she tried it on one

MUST.NOT.MAKE.OBVIOUS.JOKE............

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

smacl wrote: »
    Have been restricted to the turbo due to work commitments for the past month or so, so snuck out for a couple of hours this morning. Short enough jaunt up Kilmashogue, through the woods over to Ticknock, and back down again on the old hybrid with cross tyres. Windy but unusually warm for this time of year, Aldi winter gear was way too hot. Great to get a few gulps of mountain air, and the Coilte tracks make a nice alternative to the roads on blowy days like today, although my legs were screaming at my fat ass to lose some weight on the ascent. Not a great distance covered, and an average speed that doesn't bear publishing, but good craic all the same.

That's gas I did the exact same route more or less on my hybrid yesterday. Great minds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

Nearly died twice today. Is there a new rule that cars can fly through roundabouts while cyclists are using them ?? Cause it seems like it today. Commuting from Lusk the last 3 years and this is the worst encounter I have ever had. Once on the way in and once on the way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

instinct wrote: »
    Nearly died twice today. Is there a new rule that cars can fly through roundabouts while cyclists are using them ?? Cause it seems like it today. Commuting from Lusk the last 3 years and this is the worst encounter I have ever had. Once on the way in and once on the way back.

It wasn't at the remount roundabout at the rush road was it? Drivers coming from rush are always blasting through there without looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

No the Estuary roundabout heading straight through towards Swords / Woodies.

I was carrying a bit of speed as I didnt have to totally stop coming onto the roundabout as it was clear for me to enter. As I was half way through the roundabout and I spotted a LWB Pajero with big bull bars coming from the Estuary side towards me at speed. I did think it was the usual driver in a rush to get to the roundabout then they would jam on at last minute but no, she kept going straight towards me. My guess is she glanced over at the stopped cars and thought the coast was clear to blast straight onto the roundabout and she did exactly that. Thankfully I was more or less positioned in the middle of the two lanes so instead of exiting as usual I gave her as much room as I could so she had a clear lane to enter the roundabout and take my exit towards Woodies. On she went, totally oblivious to me, not even a hint of lifting off the accelerator. Usually there is a bit of a queue at the Woodies roundabout so I was looking forward to catching up and having a chat but there was no traffic as it was after 9. She took the 3rd exit at Woodies and up into Swords Village by the court house. To be honest I was totally flabbergasted and in a bit of an astonished state as she would have really hurt me if I had not have got out of her way.

The other incident was coming back to Lusk about 530pm. Came through Clogheran and towards the airport. The lights were green at the junction where the cemetery is and again, I was carry a nice bit of speed with the tail wind. Also, there was no traffic as I cruised through the junction. I had planned to get up onto the new cycle track but as I got through the lights I spot a Ford Focus Estate in the corner of my eye coming around the bend from the Old Airport Road to Swords road (head towards Airport / Alsaa). Again, no late braking, no hint of lifting, just heading directly into my path aiming to sideswipe me so I had no choice but to drift to outside lane to give him a clear pass. We made eye contact and he gestured ‘sorry’. I was fuming and caught up to him at the Airport roundabout. He then abused ME!!!! he wouldn’t put his window down but was doing all sorts of gesturing and finger pointing and threatening to get out of his car to me. I gave a few choice words and went on but I was fuming at that one.

Again I think it was the fact the cars saw there was no obstruction* stopping them from coming onto the main road (I mean there were no other cars in their way) and they were driving too fast and not paying enough attention to see me and just zoomed out unimpeded. The morning incident is only explained by the driver not paying attention and driving carelessly as it wasn’t even dark but the later one could be argued that he didn’t see me but there is not a lot more I can do. I have a powerful front light and that junction is well lit anyway. Again, careless and wreckless driving. Not that it would do much good if I’m in a hospital bed so all I can do is keep being extra cautious and especially when entering roundabout and passing slip road junctions when there is no traffic flow with me as other drivers are only looking for other cars and not cyclists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement