Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Windy out there. Got out early to try and beat the worst of it but the last 20km was tough. Did 100km to bring my total to the year to 10,000km. Well pleased with myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

godtabh wrote: »
    Windy out there. Got out early to try and beat the worst of it but the last 20km was tough. Did 100km to bring my total to the year to 10,000km. Well pleased with myself

You mad nutter the wind is wicked out there:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Im going to go for a wee spin out to Bray. Hope I don't get blown off the road. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Im going to go for a wee spin out to Bray. Hope I don't get blown off the road. :(

Be carefully out that way. Dun Laoghaire was very windy this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Windy ride and a mix of abilities in the group meant the sensible decision was made and the ride was cut short. I decided to TT it from Barberstown to Lucan via Maynooth. Managed 3 KOM's with the wind behind me :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/100108527

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

1465382_629159013794684_2055198943_n.jpg?dl=1
    Leading a group out in the final Km's of a local sportive in Dubai.
    Scariest cycle I've ever done in my life. Route took open motorways with the odd slip road being manned by the police. Most intersections the cops held traffic back for us but that didn't stop some guy in front of me nearly go under a truck when he couldn't unclip in time. Saw two bad crashes with riders not paying attention and heavy unnecessary braking. Best part of the day was when I heard " Jaysus I never thought I'd see a Boards.ie jersey out here"
    Kelly was also here and rode the route, would love to know what he thought of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Arm warmers? You must have been roasting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

A few windy laps of Howth. Fine cycling weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Be carefully out that way. Dun Laoghaire was very windy this morning

I had a very close call on the coast road which scared the absolute bejaysus out of me. I stopped off in blackrock, had some brekkie and decided to head back towards town.

Bray can wait for a safer day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Never mind the arm warmers - he's combined La Vie Claire shorts with a Boards.ie jersey! Where's Hinault when you need him! :D

• Advertisement

Well it was dark and cold when it started. Never got a chance to pull them down. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Well it was dark and cold when it started. Never got a chance to pull them down. :)

How are the drivers over there, TM ? I had a mate cycling over there a few years back. He said getting up early for a spin was as much to do with avoiding the local drivers as it was the hot sun.

instinct wrote: »
    ...Came through Clogheran and towards the airport. The lights were green at the junction where the cemetery is and again, I was carry a nice bit of speed with the tail wind. Also, there was no traffic as I cruised through the junction. I had planned to get up onto the new cycle track but as I got through the lights I spot a Ford Focus Estate in the corner of my eye coming around the bend from the Old Airport Road to Swords road (head towards Airport / Alsaa). Again, no late braking, no hint of lifting, just heading directly into my path aiming to sideswipe me....
    I've had two similar incidents in that very spot in the past few days and a few other incidents where the motorists braked very late. It seems to be associated with the new junction layout and perhaps that drivers are looking right to check for traffic entering the junction without checking the actual junction.

I've also had motorists coming from airport and turning right to Ballymun direction (i.e. my left) cross my path when they should yield. Again, it seems to have worsened with the new junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I took off on my bike today but i nearly got blown off my bike twice with the winds so i turned back after 12km and went home so finished with a 24km spin in total.

http://www.strava.com/activities/100144025

Short spin around the hill by myself. Nothing heroic but glad I got out, 3 climbs of Forth Mountain. Legs feeling quite heavy compared to the summer when I went out regularly. Tried using an electrolyte mix instead of water for the first time ever, just because I had some free ones that aren't getting any younger. High 5 zero, just one tablet in a big bottle of water. Nice to have a bit of taste, but wouldn't spend my own money on them.

My position when I climb out of the saddle has changed lately, I lean much further forward over the bars. Puts less pressure on my back, but I occasionally bang my knee against the edge of the stem. Gave myself a sore little cut when I banged it against one of the bolts, must file it down so it's less sharp.

When I get home I sometimes roll the bike on the lawn just to clean up the tires a bit. When I lifted the bike onto the grass, the back wheel fell out of the dropout. I realized I had done the entire cycle with the back wheel completely loose. Stupid me, could've been a nasty fall somewhere.

... I lean much further forward over the bars. Puts less pressure on my back....
    Does this not cause your rear wheel to slip if the road is wet?
    ... I realized I had done the entire cycle with the back wheel completely loose. Stupid me, could've been a nasty fall somewhere.
    Nothing to worry about - most QR's have "Lawer Tabs".

Does this not cause your rear wheel to slip if the road is wet?

Nothing to worry about - most QR's have "Lawer Tabs".

It does a little bit, the roads were wet on that ride and I think it slipped once. It's worth it for the back relief though, I just have to be careful. Especially if I'm riding around with my back QR open :o

Mine does have lawyer tabs, but like if I'm riding leaning forward then it's easy for the back wheel to hop up. And it literally fell out the second I lifted my bike off the ground!

ror_74 wrote: »
    How are the drivers over there, TM ? I had a mate cycling over there a few years back. He said getting up early for a spin was as much to do with avoiding the local drivers as it was the hot sun.
    Absolutely nuts. No lane discipline, practically drive on the bumper of the car in front. Horns blasting at every opportunity.
    I wouldn't even concider the side roads safe for cycling on. Same driving attitude on them too. That's why I was happy to use the purpose built tracks in the desert and the motor racing tracks when open for bikes and runners.

I'd say the race crack is cool

I didn't think anything was cool in Dubai!

• Advertisement

I didn't think anything was cool in Dubai!

A friend of mine was working on a massive artificial farm in the desert. They have a cold store out there that goes down to ridiculous cold. Thats kinda cool

The YAS Marina F1 track is cool to cycle. Amazing to see so many people of all ages using the facility. Bit hairy when there's a train going for a quick lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Spin up to the Naul and back, c 70 km in total. Scary day out there today. We saw a couple of groups out going the other way but nowhere near the amount of cyclists you'd usually see. the cafe in Naul was empty which was first. The way back to Dublin was a bit of a slog to say the least but the high hedge rows did give us some protection for most of the way. It was actually dodgier inside the city.

The YAS Marina F1 track is cool to cycle. Amazing to see so many people of all ages using the facility. Bit hairy when there's a train going for a quick lap.

Get on board looks like you like leading them

LennoxR wrote: »
    .... It was actually dodgier inside the city...
    I was blown from my lane across to the lane on my left on Westmoreland Street this afternoon. I was blessed that there wasn't a taxi or bus there at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Went for my first spin with Swords CC today, A nice easy pace for an 80km spin, the final 15km were alone and I got hammered by the wind, Will defo be joining up with them and getting more group spins in once silly season is over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

105km solo heading south this morning.
    Headwind all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Dublin > Eniskerry > Laragh > Wicklow Gap > Lackan > Dublin, 110km with a pal.

Sidewind on the Wicklow Gap descent was feckin scary. 75km/h looking at reports....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Went out alone today, Shannon Banks, Limerick to Broadford, Kilbane to Killaloe over the pass, Killaloe to O'Brien's Bridge to Broadford and back to Shannon Banks. It was fine going out, but I got caught in it big time coming back. Wind really started to kick up as I was coming down the pass into Killaloe. Felt a spray as I got to the Killaloe to Corbally Road. When I got to Brigetown, the sky opened. I couldn't believe how quickly I was soaked through and how quickly the roads just filled up with water. I was a mess by the time I got to Broadford. The last 25kms were a desperate effort to get home to a hot shower to get feeling back in my fingers and toes.

Managed 22 kph over 66kms: http://t.co/ff1F6edm4W

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 80km on a better day than yesterday. It still rained though but i survived. I had an embarrasing moment during the cycle though. I stopped at a shop and when i came back out i sat on my bike with one foot clipped in. I made a quick phone call with my mobile and my bike rolled backwards with me on it and i lost my balance and i fell foolishly on the ground in front of a number of people. Definately my most embarrassing bike incident of the year. It was my own fault but i had a good laugh at it when i got out of there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement