Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

A bit cooler today than the last week or so.

Headed from Tyrellstown to Clonee and then from the Hub to Kilbride and then past the church to the Ashbourne Road. Wind definitely behind me and I was taking it easy enough. From the Ashbourne Road I went through Coolquay and then up to Garristown and over to the Naul. Normally I either stop at the Naul for a cofee then head back or go straight on towards Ballbriggan. Last week I changed all that and went left over the three sisters. Today I decided to head on towards Ballyboughal. Those hills were brutal into the wind. Even going down hill I was getting blown backwards! From Ballyboughal I went left on the Rathbeale Road and then over Kilsallaghan towards St Margerets before getting back to Tyrrelstown via Hollystown.

A tough enough 72km.

http://www.strava.com/activities/100630822

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Got out and did 52km tonight in windy conditions. Really enjoying going out in the dark now, used to be scared at the start but now i dont mind it. I feel much better after it too and its helping me to enjoy my cycling more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

That was the worst 10km of my life.
    So much rain, so cold & windy.
    Was so tempted to wimp out.
    What normally takes me 25 mins, took 35 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Absolutely horrendous, quite simply the worst I've felt on the bike ever. Dublin City between 4 and 5pm today. Feeling the wimp list coming on if it's like that tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Jabel wrote: »
    Absolutely horrendous, quite simply the worst I've felt on the bike ever. Dublin City between 4 and 5pm today. Feeling the wimp list coming on if it's like that tomorrow

Did my usual spin home from south Dublin to Santry (23 km) at the same time as you. Got drenched. lots of big big puddles of water. Big massive one N11 and Fosters Ave junction.

There was torrential rain when I hit phibsboro. :mad:

Only positive was that I wind with me all the way home. Got home a couple of minutes quicker than usual but I was pushing it harder than usual.

Stripped off and threw everything into the bath.

Don;t cycle on Thursday's =, don;t need to get everything dried for the morning :)

It's now time for a nice cup of tea!!!!!!!!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

This week I have managed to add another 5km to the commute, making it 15 each way and also started using a fleet car during lunch to replenish my shirts etc so I can commute five days a week.

Besides nearly getting whacked out of it this morning and somehow miraculously channelling my 14 year old-self and long forgotten Raleigh Burner skillz, which saved me from a serious accident; on the way home I got battered by the rain and the wind.
    Loved it. :o
    Though at one stage I really, really did struggle with the wind in my face. Went into some lower gears that I wasn't sure were working as I had never used them.

I may have the "bug" :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek wrote: »
    ....Sidewind on the Wicklow Gap descent was feckin scary. 75km/h looking at reports....
    I did the Wicklow Gap and Sally Gap on Monday last and the crosswinds at The Featherbeds were horrendous - worst I've ever experienced. The roads were eerily quiet also - on the 20kms section between Laragh and the Sally Gap crossroads I didn't encounter a single vehicle in either direction.
    ... my 14 year old-self ...
    For a minute there I thought you were saying you were 14 years old! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Cold time. In the park. Need to shave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

slap/dash wrote: »
    Cold time. In the park. Need to shave!

What is seen cannot be unseen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Commuting back home after my last day at work this year, in brutal headwind and rain. Half way there, here comes a front puncture. Changed the tube. Another one two minutes later. Walked the bike to the nearest LBS, just to discover that the rear one is half flat. 10km in 1h 26min, great ending of my commuting season, thank you very much. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Got up at 8:00am and on hearing the wind and rain decided not to bother going out with the club and to do a turbo instead. Back under the duvet for a while longer... around 12:00 I decided to head out. Weather was looking ok and I reckoned the promised rain would hold off for a while longer. All changed I hit the road and head to Kilbride, Dunboyne and then over to Trim via Sumerhill then back home vie Batterstown. 5 mins in the sky opened and it started raining. Decided to brave it out as I thought I coulld see brighter sky on the horizon.

3 hours slogging away in the rain. Hands and feet freezing but I was impressed with the gabba top I bought.

83km done which I though was great and a good chunk off the Festive 500 target, only I've just realised it doesn't start till xmas eve :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Had 291km done for December so far, so I thought a quick spin from Firhouse to Marley park would get the blood flowing this morning and take me over 300, on my Eurotrek Boss..

By the time I was nearly at Marley it started sleeting and raining. No way could I stop.
    Went to Dundrum, through Churchtown back to Rathfarnham, KCR and Crumlin Village and then Walkinstown back to Rathfarnham Tesco, when I went up through Ballyronan/BallyBoden and back to Marley park, thinking I would have a nice coffee and maybe a bite to eat as I had nothing with me. Was hoping the Pizza dude would be there!

The place was empty, no farmers market :(

By the time I got home I had clocked up 35km though.

[EIDT 18:52 A Eurotrek Boss is not designed for a 35km spin. My body is really feeling every bump I hit in the road :D ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

First cycle after two weeks off with illness. Things were going better than expected when suddenly the rear cassette came loose without any warning.

I had to abandon and call for a road side pick up. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I did 50km today but suffered big time. I had a work xmas night out 2 days ago and i drank a bit too much, a way too much to be honest. My avg HR was a way up today on an easy enough spin that i normally do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Back in my home country, no bike, 60km left for my 7,5k goal this year.

Managed to borrow a decent Gazelle (still 20kg!) and cycled it to my wife's granparents house in a pitch-black countryside night. Only stars, slight frost, potholes and me.

I came back home and then cycled there and back again :-) Only 30k to go and I'm sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm only recently back cycling on a road bike (I've been hacking on a hybrid for a while) and a friend and I headed out today to do a 50km spin from home to Blessington and back at 9am this morning. We were grand till we got to Jobstown but fcuk me, the snow set in up by the embankment and we battled it out almost to Crooksling before deciding to turn around for home. Cold feet set in - literally. Tough coming downhill with my glasses useless and snow stinging my eye every so often.

The current weather isn't all that conducive for cycling and with Christmas coming it could well be the weekend before we get out again.

It didn't kill us and we'll live for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Fair whacks to non-commuters getting out this weather and with the distraction of the festivities. Wimp list, I 'm all yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Never been as cold as I was today on the bike. 70km and approx 50 of those in sleet and snow, blizzard like at times. So glad to get home. Thank god herself was in because I wasn't able to open the door or get the gloves off. Character building weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Never been as cold as I was today on the bike. 70km and approx 50 of those in sleet and snow, blizzard like at times. So glad to get home. Thank god herself was in because I wasn't able to open the door or get the gloves off. Character building weather

I feel your pain!

Did 104 today in same conditions. Got soaked 10k in by some sort off rain/snow/hail/sleet blizzard and never got warm after. Was so close to turning around (would have been smart thing do to) and giving up. At one point hail was too much and to painful so had to take shelter under a tree.

[IMG][/img]e0a266ff-548f-4393-97a0-a4e054ec3da3_zpse83ad62e.jpg

Hardest part at home for me was getting shoes off with no feeling in toes or fingers.

So I really do feel similar pain than you.

http://app.strava.com/activities/101397275

inc21 wrote: »
    I feel your pain!

Did 104 today in same conditions. Got soaked 10k in by some sort off rain/snow/hail/sleet blizzard and never got warm after. Was so close to turning around (would have been smart thing do to) and giving up. At one point hail was too much and to painful so had to take shelter under a tree....
    ....Yet you still managed to get a KOM and a few other trophies! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Had to push harder just to keep warm and I really wanted to get back home quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Speaking of koms, picture in today's it confirms what it takes to get them;

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/road-deaths-increase-close-to-three-year-high-as-wintery-conditions-forecast-1.1636207

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Not looking forward to heading out in this but thoses mince pies and cream have to be earned and its the only chance for me to get out this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just headed out for a sprint around the n11 and one climb of forth mountain. Spit ,cough, belch, drink, repeat. New Argos shimano kit really comfortable though.

No strava data worth showing off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Did my normal commute in the Rock Road this morning. I was only number 23 on the cycle counter. I am normally around 130 to 150. The overall counter for the year is a little over 198,000 so I doubt if we will get to 200,000 before 31st but you never know..

Interestingly its way ahead of the N11 counter which I think is about 120,000 for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Went out, got blown about the place, got wet, got home in one piece.

a148pro wrote: »
    I didn't think anyone cycling at Ryan's level would take a chance on roads like that risking a spill and injury. Of course the weather may have caught him out.

(It appears the photographer does not know who he is. I'm presuming he must have stopped him and asked?)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I didn't think anyone cycling at Ryan's level would take a chance on roads like that risking a spill and injury. Of course the weather may have caught him out.

(It appears the photographer does not know who he is. I'm presuming he must have stopped him and asked?)

Well there's more photo that one of him anyway. It looks like the photographer went up there him to get the shot.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/warning-over-icy-conditions-as-weather-alert-issued-1.1636545

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any idea of the accurate weather forecast for tomorrow around 6am around the N11? Would love to get out but its all end of the world stuff on the news

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Seems very stupid even more so if it was staged

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement