Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

godtabh wrote: »
    Any idea of the accurate weather forecast for tomorrow around 6am around the N11? Would love to get out but its all end of the world stuff on the news

From what I'm reading, Christmas Day morning looks like the best opportunity for the next few days but I'll be busy building dolls houses and Lego Star Wars with the kids. St. Stephens Day looks OK too but I've to head to the outlaws for the day. After that the forecast looks like returning to what we have currently.

A decent respite from the current weather would be a great Christmas present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Festive 500 kicked off at 5.15 this morning before work, 37km done and I'm 19th in the world for now :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The bike is coming with me to the outlaws. I dont think I could cope there for 72 hours without some sort of escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sumone

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Interestingly its way ahead of the N11 counter which I think is about 120,000 for the year.

Since the middle of the summer the N11 counter at UCD seems to broken more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

36k for me today down the stairs
    man cave----turbo---1hr 10mins must have lost 1kg in Perspiration great machine all together HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not cycling weather out there today. Just back from being out and about on the hack picking up some last bits, mad winds and lots of very aggressive drivers. Not a bit nice, and glad to be back. Turbo later methinks. And beer. In that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

60km dressed as santa, in a blizzard. Was frozen to the core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

67 km today around drogheda/ naul back roads.
    Dangerous winds like going up hill against it doing 60 kph with on me back.
    Motorists particularly dangerous today I noted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

17k around Leixlip maynooth area crashed twice turned around and came home, not worth it , roads are lethal with ice.
    I'll get back out later when it thaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Didn't bring home my trusty stead for the Christmas so headed out for a very short spin(13km) on my dads yoke. Fcuk the weight of it nearly killed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

60km out around Howth and back, nippy out but beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Did Howth also but only got permission for 30k:rolleyes:

It was beautiful out there though. No wind and plenty sunshine even if it was a little nippy. Plenty out around Howth at lunchtime.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Carpenter wrote: »
    36k for me today down the stairs
    man cave----turbo---1hr 10mins must have lost 1kg in Perspiration great machine all together HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE .

Do you mind if i ask what turbo trainer do you have?
    Im considering getting one as im struggling with asthma some days, mainly damp cold ones.

Done 20k yesterday ,up there with the windiest spins ever for me.
    Tried to get out this morning to escape the mayhem here but turned back after 4k as roads were lethal but managed to get 25k in just before xmas dinner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

A lovely 35km spin this morning around Meath coastline, Duleek & Drogheda. Cool but great cycling weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 givusapush

Took it Handy 65km this am.icy enough in places so only averaged 23kmh.no wind and sun shining.nice spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Dcully wrote: »
    Do you mind if i ask what turbo trainer do you have?
    Im considering getting one as im struggling with asthma some days, mainly damp cold ones.

Done 20k yesterday ,up there with the windiest spins ever for me.
    Tried to get out this morning to escape the mayhem here but turned back after 4k as roads were lethal but managed to get 25k in just before xmas dinner :)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/tacx-flow-ergo-turbo-trainer/rp-prod68507

Not cheap but worth every penny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Just a quick spin to Cahir and back today to work up an appetite for the Christmas dinner. Wasn't expecting the roads to be so busy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Tried to get out to an impromptu club spin and nearly came a cropper on some black ice. Seems worse than yesterday. Sun and traffic will clear the main roads but I would avoid any sheltered areas. Not sure if anyone got out with the club in the end.

Managed 60km yesterday so I'm not missing out too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭rob w

Well that was a disaster....only did 5km and decided to turn back, nearly slipped off the bike twice on black ice, don't know how I managed to hang on the second slip!! Was really looking forward to getting out for a nice spin today too! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Just home from 65km spins some minor rear wheel skids but no mishaps.
    Beautiful day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Was planning 100+ today maybe even go for festive 500.
    My ride was cut short by very icy roads and the fact that that I managed to hit it quite hard with my backside.
    Few marks on the bike, broken shoe, broken glove, broken pants, road rash on my leg.

Knew it was icy so took it very easy and even stayed on the main road.

If you are planning to have some mince pies again take a look that instead, it might put you off http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af249/intc21/2013-12-26104436_zps0e864312.jpg

You'll be thanking me next time you step on those scales :pac:

http://app.strava.com/activities/101951882

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

a crash and a mechanical.

Left the inlaws on bad roads. Didnt think they were that bad but had a fall after 1.3km. Walked to the main road and did about 58km in total.

Going to try and get out again in the morning if i can fix the mechanical. front derailur gone again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭nilhg

The council salted the road by my house last night so I thought all would be well this morning, I was out and about early and didn't even have to de-ice the van windscreen so was certain there would be no problem with the club spin this morning but got a rude awakening when I went over Dunmurry heading for Kildare, the roads were lethal and the salter must have only working every now and then, giving the worst possible situation, long clear stretches and then really icy spots.

Three of us went across the main road towards Naas which wasn't too bad and home across the bog road which was open enough to the sun so was OK, 43km at a handy pace, nice to be out and today's spin got me over the 10k mark for the year so happy about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I managed a 50k spin this morning to Blessington. After Brittas I took the left to Manor Kilbride but turned around after less than 1km due to ice. While making my way slowly back to the N81 the bike went from under me due to an icy 'hollow' in the road. No injuries to me or the bike, thankfully, so I continued on the N81 to Blessington and back.

Happy with the morning as it's my first 50k since getting back into cycling late this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Fine first three miles, black ice, crash. Walked half a mile or so, rode to the main road which was fine then home. Trust was gone after the slide. Not worth the risk of breaking a collar bone or something,

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Same experience as others. Lovely spin from Dublin through Rathcoole towards Kilteel. Roads lethal on the back roads. Had a very slow speed crash on an uphill and had to walk a couple of km back to the Blessington road. Not hurt and bike not damaged but very jittery on the spin home although the n81 (Blessington Road) was actually fine. Have never done the embankment descent as slowly, gripping the breaks the whole way. Maybe 55 km in total.

My advice is to avoid the back roads like the plague until it warms up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Rode around my hinterland.

Nearly died during the first 10km after "tapering" for the last week by drinking and starving myself during the hangovers. But the High5 Zeros kicked in just as I was beginning a cat4 climb. Average temperature of 1ºC.

http://www.strava.com/activities/102000067

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

22.3k this evening, was going to stretch out further afield but was running out of daylight so messed around the roads in Celbridge and went for an explore down a couple id never done before. Broke in my new garmin and its very apparent that i need to get the sram mount as i cycle too far out over the bars and cant see it mounted on the stem. Good to get out and exorcise even a small bit of the gluttony guilt of the last while!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

55km today in a mini storm. Delighted to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Took a tumble on some ice but apart from that it was a lovely day for it. Got 60k done. Nice to get a break from the relentless wind of the last few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement