Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Worrying reading about the amount of 'offs' today - hope you suffer nothing more than a bruised ego.

Easy group cycle for me with the Tri club. Made a decision to shorten the route as the road we were going to head down was still in the shade and didn't want to risk black ice. 46km done and a few of the christmas calories burnt off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Got to the end of the gate...off i came. Bar end plug popped out. I popped back into the house nursing a bash to my leg. Muscular bump. No damage to the bike most importantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

Got up at 9am looked out the window. Blue skies, calm and no frost, great stuff!
    pulled on all the gear, got the bike out of the utility, as soon as i got as far as the car in the driveway I could feel the black ice under my feet.
    No way was I going out in that so I changed my clothes and headed up to the gym to do an hour on the stationary bike,
    guess what, it's Stephens day so the gym is closed 'til 1 o'clock. I got the message so i took the day off, hey I tried:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

A mechanical failure (again) 200 meters after leaving home. I think my rear wheel is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Brilliant spin today, Cork/Riverstown/Lemlara/Garrigtohill/Glanmire/Cork 45 km, nice sunshine, little traffic literally not one cyclist on the streets, are you all still digesting those Christmas Turkeys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭rob w

Quick 30km today on a break from studying, great to get out after having to turn back due to ice on St. Stephens Day! Back to the books now! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

16km spin to break in my new Garmin! First time since taking a tumble St Stephens day, was nervous enough for the first couple of minutes. Good to get back tho and looking forward to a new year filled with longer spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭scotchy

35KM Blackrock, Enniskerry, Bray, Blackrock. First cycle in a few weeks due to weather, work, Christmas etc. Great day for it.

Now for a nice bath to try warm myself up.:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Did 20k over the top of Three Rock, heading up the east side by the Blue Light and up by Buckley's Fireplaces. There was loads of people around on the top, wrapped up against the bracing wind, including lots of families with kids, and a gang of teenagers carrying skateboards up to the top. There were some nasty patches of sheet ice near the top, as I headed down towards Kilmashogue. As I passed one forest section of growing Christmas trees, I spotted one tree fully decorated with tinsel and baubles etc. It was my first time to come down the Kilmashogue route, and I touched over 60 kmph as I came down Kilmashogue Lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

35km today on hilly terrain. My legs are burned off me and im supposed to be out again tomorrow for a spin :D This xmas diet and partying has to stop :D

• Advertisement

35km today on hilly terrain. My legs are burned off me and im supposed to be out again tomorrow for a spin :D This xmas diet and partying has to stop :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

48km Leixlip-Newcastle-athgoe-kill-Straffan-celbridge-leixlip
    Lovely morning for a cycle.
    Due out again in the morning, weather not supposed to be as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

sullzz wrote: »
    Due out again in the morning, weather not supposed to be as good.

Met Éireann forecast looks favourable for a morning spin. I'm hoping to get 30km-ish in. Afternoon forecast looks dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I intended to cycle a loop from my Home to Tuam, Bearnaderg, Briarfield and back home, about 35km.

The storms the nights before left the back roads littered with tree debris.
    I got a puncture about 6.4km in. It was my first one.
    Then the rain started. I was failing to get the tyre off, so I called my brother with the team car.
    I kept trying to get the tyre off and finally did. I got home and tried to patch it, but that didn't work out.

New tube in the wheel. Gonna chance going on the main roads tomorrow, 50km planned.

http://www.strava.com/activities/102380824

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

62k from home to Clane, Carragh, Newbridge, Naas, Johnstown, Kill, Straffan and back to Celbridge. Punctured at about the 32k mark and threw a new tube in but tire was holed and didn't know if I'd get home or not, had the wife on standby for a rescue but made it the last 30k. Still can't believe I made it home on that tire. Fit only for the bin now.
    20131228_190536_zpsqetzs7bo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

On the MTB in ballyhoura forest. Three hours hard slog. Water bottle almost froze. Some snow along the higher trails. Several fallen trees after the storm but the trails had been cleared. I was on an empty tank when i got back to the car park and my feet were like two blocks of ice. But good craic

Set up ready to go wheeled bike out from house , threw leg over it in driveway, slipped on icy road out front of house landed on back, going to give it an hour to see if it thaws.
    I don't like the taste of hospital food too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Did a 50km loop near on the main roads after getting a puncture on the back roads yesterday.

Decided to pull the skip on mass to go out for a big ride. Went out to Lackagh and in the Galway road. Seen one lad with a puncture and knew that I had to stay away from the edges of the road. Got to Tuam and then... surprise headwind all the way home from Tuam. Nearly gave up on the Chapel Road hill, but I kept going. Proud of myself, as this was my longest ride so far.

http://www.strava.com/activities/102579841/

Did 65km today with my club on an annual xmas cycle they have. Pace was fast, group i was with were racers, strong and experienced cyclists, avg speed 32km/h got dropped last 15km, I could see group for the rest but couldn't gain on them. Disappointed but it happens. Terrible day for cycling.

61km today
    left leixlip at 10:30 roads in around estates were still quite bad , main roads were fine .
    met the others in maynooth we decided to avoid any backroads just to be safe so we headed through kilcock and through enfield to fureys pub in moyvalley and had a coffee , back same route and home , didn't see too many other cyclist out today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First spin in a few weeks due to work, kids and weather and even today I was limited because of the young buck's birthday party.
    I have about 5 kilos to lose and I felt it a few times. First few ks were treacherous with frost and ice but the main road was grand. Did 28k at 26km/h,. Longwood to Kinnegad and back. Came home and ate a pile of party food. I now have nearly 6kgs to lose:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Didn't go out today as it was icy on the roads, and I knew that, by the time it thawed, the rain and wind would be starting up again. Besides, the forecast for tomorrow (Monday) looks good, and I'm off of work, so...

However, I went out yesterday for the first time since the 15th of December. I got soaked that day and won't forget it for some time. My hands and feet were like blocks of ice by the time I got home. Yesterday, though, I went out (http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/54T2J53IZCWLKZPSIESEHUFMXU), but over my thermal socks, I put a 1 ltr. freezer bag on each foot, then an overshoe over that. Over a pair of merino wool gloves, I put some rubber gloves (2 or 3 euro at aldi's) and a pair of wind-proof gloves over that. I have to say, I think I am ready for the rain, now. My hands and feet were toasty warm when I arrived back at the house after yesterday's spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Festive 500 finished :) with this bitch of a cycle
    http://www.strava.com/activities/102757727

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Have been over in Yorkshire for the last week and managed to get a few spins in, we're not having any of the ice problems you all seem to be having.
    Went out with my local club here yesterday, 93km covered with 2 stops for tea and toasted teacakes.

Home-Otley-Castley-Weeton-Kirby Overblow- Knaresborough - Wetherby- Linton-Sicklinghall - Kirkby Overblow- Weeton - home just in time for Mum's roast beef!

No one had any punctures/ mechanicals, just a group of 6 of us moving along the hedgerows at a nice winterly pace, wasnt too slow or fast at any point - which was a relief as these were the group 'above' the group I've cycled with before.
    I was able to keep the pace and manage all the hills with everyone, but was also (afterwards) perversely happy to suffer some humility at being dropped on a hill just as we were at the 92km mark.

As a beginner this year at 40, it's such a lovely feeling to know I've improved in general fitness/ strength over the year.
    Great to feel my body is getting stronger rather than weaker with age!
    I see muscles developing in my arms and legs and the weight on the scales is lower than last year.
    One of the guys on the cycle today said he started cycling at 56, lost 3 stone and has never looked back.
    A nice reverse as a result of simply buying a road bike and using it.

Yesterday's cycle had everything I love about cycling thrown in, and was the perfect way to end my first year of road cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Beautiful day for it. Nice 55k around NCD done with a few hills on the way home. Not been out in a week and only 350k done the last month but felt good.

MB Lacey wrote: »
    2 stops for tea and toasted teacakes.

I think I would have chucked in a stop at the Wetherby Whaler for Fish and Chips too!

A quick spin out in NCD - up to the Naul, Garristown, Ashbourne and home via Clonee. 68km - http://www.strava.com/activities/102830482

Managed to fall over this morning walking between my car and reception. Sprained wrist, bruised knee and ribs. I wasn't looking where I was going and someone had stolen the kerb. Ended up lying in a puddle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

1st proper ride on new road bike today. Just 10km which is tiny compared to some of you guys. Still, pretty happy to get out at all and it was definitely fun.

Although legs are feeling it a bit now and I'm knackered but hopefully that will soon change as I get used to cycling and get fitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Did a 66k spin. Sounds mundane enough but it was first spin in two weeks after going professional on over indulging on all the wrong foods and generally making excuses not to go out. Felt good but would have preferred someone to hide behind ever now and again. Legs and bit achy now but the warm tootsies in front of the fire and a cuppa were worth the effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭nilhg

1st proper ride on new road bike today. Just 10km which is tiny compared to some of you guys. Still, pretty happy to get out at all and it was definitely fun.

Although legs are feeling it a bit now and I'm knackered but hopefully that will soon change as I get used to cycling and get fitter.

There won't be a bother on you, keep plugging away and in no time (well a few weeks:D) that 10km will only be your warm up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement