Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭nilhg

60 odd km today just to loosen up the legs after a fall on Saturday, lovely afternoon to be out, took the long way to and home from Edenderry. there were a few lakes on the road in places but apart from that it was a nice relaxing uneventful spin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Last ride of the year. Bike newly serviced so that was nice. Weather wasnt!

10211 for the year. I've all of 2014 to beat that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

1st proper ride on new road bike today. Just 10km which is tiny compared to some of you guys. Still, pretty happy to get out at all and it was definitely fun.

Although legs are feeling it a bit now and I'm knackered but hopefully that will soon change as I get used to cycling and get fitter.

Fir play to you. My first time on a bike in about 22 years was this summer. A 7km spin. I wrote a post in this thread about it, somewhere.
    I managed 400KM in November and will have to settle with 330ish for December due to the whole holiday period. Keep at it as nilhg said. It will only get easier, till you start making it harder, spin wise.

If you happen to get the "bug" I'd suggest cutting up your credit card :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

100km south into headwind, rain and hailstones. Tough spin

12th time this year, tailwind twice. SW is the prevailing wind I guess....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

66km and the Festive 500 polished off.

http://www.strava.com/activities/102989869

Managed a flying dismount between Lucan and Leixlip. Kerb was a bit too high and angle a bit too steep. I'd already unclipped one shoeand as the bike went down I managed to unclip the other, hurdled the bars and managed to keep upright. Had a littel laugh to myself and probably looked a little mental.

Was slow and felt awful and got caught in the wind and rain. Think I'm coming down with flu or something too. Day off the bike tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

Has anyone been out on their bike at around 8am for a spin over the last 2 days and if so was their any sign if black ice on the roads. Plan to head out for a long one in the morning myself and plan to head out as early as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Up at 8.30am for a 60k spin out to Bolton Abbey organised by the local club here.
    Great to have it arranged as motivation to head out, wouldn't have bothered left to my own devices.
    Weather heading back was dire, constant cold ice rain- but I wouldn't have swapped it for being indoors, was happy to be out and cycling with the others. Coffee shop at Bolton Abbey was already packed with cyclists, it's a lovely route out that way.
    HNY everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Thought I'd get the year off to a good start. Was wet out at lunch time but nice none the less. 40.2km around Dublin. The hill from Ballymount up to the Belgard road was tough, it was near the end of the spin, wind was in my face and I was on my Eurotrek. 6% of my "Prove it" done though.

Can't wait to ditch the eurotrek for the cboardman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thought I'd get the year off to a good start. Was wet out at lunch time but nice none the less. 40.2km around Dublin. The hill from Ballymount up to the Belgard road was tough, it was near the end of the spin, wind was in my face and I was on my Eurotrek. 6% of my "Prove it" done though.

Can't wait to ditch the eurotrek for the cboardman.

Well done, those eurotrek bikes are heavy as buses. I rode one around Achill Island last summer, it made beautiful smooth roads feel very bumpy. You'll love the Boardman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did a few things to the bike today. First and foremost, I pumped the wheels up properly- been riding around on 35psi for the last fk knows how long.
    Next I put on my new Ergon gp5 bar ends, got them dirt cheap on Ebay. Then I put on toeclips (I'll get round to trying SPDs and new shoes when the budget sorts itself out)

So I went out for a cycle and for the first 3/4 of it I was absolutely flying. Did 38k @ nearly 30km/h avg. Bar ends made a huge difference, esp going into the wind. I kept them quite flat so I was far more aero. Toe clips kept the feet on the pedals too so that obviously helped and pumping the wheels up to max pressure was the clincher (:o). Arse is a little bit sorer than usual but I'll get over that quickly enough.

Then I got an almighty stitch after having a big gulp of drink and blew up completely, last 12km at less than 20kph. Couldn't get going at all, just pain in my side all the way home. Despite that I still averaged a faster speed than ever before over the same distance, so I'm thinking I won't know myself over the next few weeks as I get more use to the new set up.

49.7km in 1.51.56 @ avg 26.6km/h
    http://www.strava.com/activities/103714880

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

40km in the wind. Needed to done

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

Daroxtar wrote: »
    and pumping the wheels up to max pressure was the clincher (:o).
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Set up the turbo for the first time in about three years. Waay to windy for me yesterday on the coast. Lasted a full play of Machine Head (google it younger folk :):)) and was too knackered/bored to go on.

Proper cycling today I hope - wind is down to around 5m/s and it seems to be above freezing

50km today and a disaster. Didnt set my bike up the night before like I normally do so only realised about 10km in that my water bottle only had about 1/3 in it.

Got a puncture about 30km in.

Bonked after that.

Usually I'd be able to do the 50km on a cereal bar but not today. Just not in the shape I usually am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

A few days late but 210 km on a fixie from Dublin to Tramore. Some floods on the coast forced backtracking to the N11 , its usually a bit less. Strong headwind. Had to get the train back due to bad weather, felt a bit of a wuss but it was the right thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

first 100+ of the year with 117km and the first time the wife has done 100km (she skipped a bit)
    A couple of PBs too
    http://www.strava.com/activities/103827363

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Does anyone know is there any ICE on the way up to the gap ???

Carpenter wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there any ICE on the way up to the gap ???

I came across some ice around the D18. Not much but I'd say it it was here its probably there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Nice early start today at 08:30.
    Stillorgan - Kilmainham - Phoenix Park - Castleknock - Carpernterstown - Lucan - Town - East Wall - Sandymount - Booterstown.

52km in 2:17:34.

First proper spin in a while & the first time with new pedals/shoes on a long spin.
    Everything was so much smoother & still haven't fallen over (yet).

Gotta start getting some hills in over the next few weekends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Avoid the Gap and the road up to Roundwood too. Lots of black ice. I was supposed to be heading for a hike but turned back in the car as the roads where very dangerous. Cars spinning into ditches and head on collisions. I advised one cyclist to not to head up the road but he ignored me. About ten minutes later my mate came across him on the road after a rapid unplanned dismount. He wasn't badly hurt luckily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭fran426ft

Today was my first time out on the road on my new bike and the first time I was cycling in years. No where near the distances that you guys are covering but I was happy with it for a first ride.

Distance: 32.53 km
    Time: 1:19:14
    Avg Speed: 24.6 km/h
    Elevation Gain: 318 m
    Avg Temperature: 4.7 °C
    Avg Bike Cadence: 73 rpm

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Is anywhere free from ice? Planning to head out tomorrow but not if it's icy everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

Didn't think this morning and went up Cruagh Road. Needless to say there's a lot of ice around there and descending through Glencullen towards Stepaside felt pretty sketchy. First road rash of the new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Didn't think this morning and went up Cruagh Road. Needless to say there's a lot of ice around there and descending through Glencullen towards Stepaside felt pretty sketchy. First road rash of the new year!

Glen of Immal Mountain Rescue are advising people to stay away from the Sally Gap at the moment due to icy conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

2nd cycle on the new bike. 12.9km/ 40mins along the N11 to UCD and back . 19.4km/h average speed which is probably a bit rubbish but I'm happy with it.

I know they are nothing in the grand scheme of things but I was really struggling with a couple of the hills on the way back from UCD. Kept going though even though I was crawling along.

Legs are definitely feeling it but hopefully I'll start getting fitter soon. UCD is about halfway into work so I think I need a few weeks of working on my fitness before starting to cycle to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

First day back on the bike this year and two punctures on the front wheel. Lucky I wasn't too far from home when the second one happened so she who must be obeyed was called into action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

^^^^^
    If you did that in one go & to UCD is half way, wouldn't that be 13km into work & you're already doing it?

Sure you'd be fine. And you'd have 7-8 hours recovery at work before you head home.

I commute in along the same way, 10km in and out, takes a bit of getting used to but I enjoy it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

^^^^^
    If you did that in one go & to UCD is half way, wouldn't that be 13km into work & you're already doing it?

Sure you'd be fine. And you'd have 7-8 hours recovery at work before you head home.

I commute in along the same way, 10km in and out, takes a bit of getting used to but I enjoy it now

Yeah you are right but I was seriously tired out of breath by the end of it so I want to get a bit more comfortable doing that distance before I start going into work. Plus I was sweating like a mofo too and there is no shower in work so I want to get a bit more used to it. I'd say I'll be fine in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 65km today. First proper spin of the new year. Did 20km intervals on gym bike before today. Had problems with my chain twice today. It locked up when selecting from big chainring to small chain ring and then it fell off both occasions. Also encountered icy roads today and had one or two hairy moments. Anyway i bought new tyres and brake inserts for my bike and will change them both tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Wicklow along the N11 and almost all roads south of Kilmacanogue were treacherous until after 11 this morning. Numerous car crashes in the Glen of the Downs. I certainly wouldn't have fancied venturing uphill on skinny road wheels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement