Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Was up at the Lough Bray end of the Sally Gap today, only started the ascent before turning back as the back wheel was slipping (on a hybrid with 32c wheels). Was also a bit icy just north of Glencree on the Military Road in the shadow of the forest there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

First spin of 2014 today. Done approximately 45km. The first 10/12km was tough and slow as it was so cold out and I couldn't get warmed properly but once I warmed up I was able to up the pace. I burst the zip on one of my shoe covers and so didn't bother with them which meant my feet were numb with cold for the last 15km or so and then 500m from home I got a puncture on the front wheel but just cycled on as it was more or less all down hill. The tube is probably ruined but have plenty of spares. The bike is rotten dirty now as the roads were wet and mucky in a lot of places, will give it a bit of a wipe down later and fix the puncture and try to get out again in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Lovely day for a spin and finding out how unfit you are! Loop starting in Donabate, north to Balbriggan, over to Naul and returning via Oldtown and Swords. 55km at around 24km/h. Hills were mountains to me and 15km/h breezes felt like hurricanes. Last summer's performance levels are like a mirage, but shag it it 's great to get out and came home very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lovely day for a spin and finding out how unfit you are! Loop starting in Donabate, north to Balbriggan, over to Naul and returning via Oldtown and Swords. 55km at around 24km/h. Hills were mountains to me and 15km/h breezes felt like hurricanes. Last summer's performance levels are like a mirage, but shag it it 's great to get out and came home very happy.

What time did you carry out this spin and what were the road conditions like. Any sign of black ice?

billyhead wrote: »
    What time did you carry out this spin and what were the road conditions like. Any sign of black ice?

Hi Billy, 12 noon start. Roads damp but safe. Especially some notorious spots between Naul and Oldtown. Plenty of cyclists out, including one organised spin heading north into Oldtown maybe about 1.45. Safe enough at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi Billy, 12 noon start. Roads damp but safe. Especially some notorious spots between Naul and Oldtown. Plenty of cyclists out, including one organised spin heading north into Oldtown maybe about 1.45. Safe enough at that time.

Cheers. Might head out around noon tomorrow depending on if the stormy weather holds off until late in the afternoon:D

billyhead wrote: »
    Cheers. Might head out around noon tomorrow depending on if the stormy weather holds off until late in the afternoon:D

Its all about windows of opportunity this time of year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Like ramblingman, I took a tour of NCD. What a great day for it.

64k in 2:37 for 24.6 kph. Swords - Naul - Snowtown etc and back. Happy enough (there was 650m climbing) although the legs are feeling it a bit a the moment. I hope to throw in a spin to Howth for an even 100 over he next few weeks.

Bike was filthy afterwards - it will need a proper clean tomorrow (only a quick bucket of water over it today).

No sign of ice between 10 and 1 but I think it's due to be a lot colder tomorrow so be careful if you're heading out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

220km so far this week which is good going for me, especially given this weather. Out to Bolton Abbey again where I sat chatting to a woman in her 60's who had also cycled out. She said she usually cycles with 6 other older women (she's the youngest) but they all cancelled when their iphones said it was going to rain.
    Cycling back home, going up a hill near where I live, a peleton of about 10 girls and boys (aged 9-14) whizzed down, each of them shouted a 'Mornin' in their Yorkshire accents.
    They were the youth group of the local club here.
    Everywhere seems to be ready for the tdf grand depart, went walking at Harewood house and they've posters about tickets everywhere, went into town this afternoon (Harrogate) and things appearing there too.
    I'm on mobile so not sure if this photo will attach, basically a tdf wood carving into a tree stump down the road from Betty's tea rooms.

MB Lacey wrote: »
    220km so far this week which is good going for me, especially given this weather. Out to Bolton Abbey again where I sat chatting to a woman in her 60's who had also cycled out. She said she usually cycles with 6 other older women (she's the youngest) but they all cancelled when their iphones said it was going to rain.
    Cycling back home, going up a hill near where I live, a peleton of about 10 girls and boys (aged 9-14) whizzed down, each of them shouted a 'Mornin' in their Yorkshire accents.
    They were the youth group of the local club here.
    Everywhere seems to be ready for the tdf grand depart, went walking at Harewood house and they've posters about tickets everywhere, went into town this afternoon (Harrogate) and things appearing there too.
    I'm on mobile so not sure if this photo will attach, basically a tdf wood carving into a tree stump down the road from Betty's tea rooms.

Pic rendered fine. Great stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I managed 50km+ this morning. Headed out on the R112 to take the N11 to Bray then back via R117 home. Those bloody traffic lights wreck my head. Stop. Start. Stop. Start. ad infinitum. It was early so we stuck with the main roads to avoid ice - that's the price you pay.

I'm back in the saddle for 8 weeks now after 20 years so I'm well happy - except for the nasty boil on my ar$e that has flared up today. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Went out for 40km today. Almost didn't. I regretted so much that I hadn't gone our yesterday. Yesterday, I had some things to do that could have waited, but said I'd get them done and go out afterwards. By the time I was done with my chores, it was 2:30 pm and I was worried about darkness falling before I could get back, so I put it off. I went running instead.

Today, I had resigned myself to another stormy, non-cycling day, but the clouds broke around noon, and it looked good in all directions. I went for it. I could have stayed out another hour or so, but was playing it safe. Besides, the wind was beginning to gust to speeds that made me a bit nervous. It was good to get out in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Went out for 40km today. Almost didn't. I regretted so much that I hadn't gone our yesterday. Yesterday, I had some things to do that could have waited, but said I'd get them done and go out afterwards. By the time I was done with my chores, it was 2:30 pm and I was worried about darkness falling before I could get back, so I put it off. I went running instead.

Today, I had resigned myself to another stormy, non-cycling day, but the clouds broke around noon, and it looked good in all directions. I went for it. I could have stayed out another hour or so, but was playing it safe. Besides, the wind was beginning to gust to speeds that made me a bit nervous. It was good to get out in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

crosstownk wrote: »
    - except for the nasty boil on my ar$e that has flared up today. :mad:

Pics or GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

RainyDay wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO

I think I prefer the GTFO :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Went out at dusk yesterday evening to do a quick 10k after work. To tell the truth I didn't care about the 10k but was looking to attack a strava segment I'm 8th on, but half way through plf on the segment a black Jeep cuts in front of me hugs the kerb and does 20km the whole way to the end of the segment. Probably the bloody kom holder protecting his time!

Vizzy wrote: »
    I think I prefer the GTFO :eek:

You're dead right. Believe me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Cycled into work this morning, like I do most days....about 11 miles each way. Not the most pleasant weather, and legs definitely heavier after Christmas

I have one question, which has been bugging me for ages:

Why do most (in my experience certainly > 50%) people who commute on a road bike not put mudguards, or even splashguards on the back? Even riding a good 5 or 6 metres back I get constant roadwater in my face. A splashguard costs about a tenner from LIDL, and they clip off so that you don't have to look uncool on your weekend ride.

Is it just ignorant. Or is a valid reason why people don't do it. Surely it's nicer to not have a wet ass!

Anyway, rant over (about a minor annoyance, admittedly, in the grand scheme of things!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Had a run in with a taxi on the way home. He objected to me overtaking a group of slower cyclists while in the bus lane. He sped up behind me while I was already overtaking having started off from the lights. He then lent on the horn and swung into the next lane almost taking out a car. He even had the audacity to be shouting abuse at the next set of traffic lights. This was going along Northstrand which is narrow enough anyway in the bus lane. It's the first time in many years where I was tempted to d-lock someone but I just reckoned the guy was a middle aged idiot so I laughed at him and cycled off when the light turned green again and he was stuck in the traffic. I do wonder about allowing cretinous individuals to work with heavy machines....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Guy drafted me for 10k in the N11 outbound, then when I slowed down to take my turn he overtook me like some hero!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Half hour on the rollers after i finished my night shift this morning, so much more fun no i got a cadence/speed sensor ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Nice spin today. Got a KOM, not one on a shítty segment that only 4 people have ever cycled. A proper one.
    On my hybrid.
    I'm quiet pleased with that.

http://www.strava.com/activities/104445942

Jumped on when I got home from work. 10.8k in the dark with the wind blowing a gale. It's tough out there so it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    It's tough out there so it is!

That it is, but as long as there are no ice and frost... sure why not.
    Finally got a good commute route going. Works out at 34km a day now versus 20km plus I get to break in my boardman tomorrow, all going as planned.

I have to get that stupid strava badge :( 171km so far for January and at least it will keep me off the beer and away from feedback! Never a good combo.

Apologies to the poor cyclist I scared the bejaysus out of today, while you were fixing your flat. When I asked if you were OK I had no idea you were taking a wizz into the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Recovering from illness with IDA Park loops mixed with high cadence drills in Athlone.

I've been sick since the last ride, 53km. Decided to get back on the bike today and kick into some easy training. I signed up for my Cycle Ireland license and Shannonside Cycling Club membership. Gonna hopefully be in shape for my first club ride this Sunday.

Trying to get some serious quad and hamstring action going, as I'm going skiing, for the first time, next month and need the endurance.

http://www.strava.com/activities/104714520

Same story again tonight. Home from work and jumped on for a quick spin. 11.5k in what was actually quite mild weather as i forgot my gloves and didn't feel any the worse for it afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

8k tonight on MTB, first time back on the bike in about 6 weeks. Milder out than i thought it was going to be.

I got up on the hybrid this evening for the first time since I bought the road bike. Two mates came with me who have been considering getting back into cycling. I brought them around a draggy 13km and they loved it. I've converted another two souls!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 60km tonight in rain and wind. Legs slightly tired after the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Did 133kms today and didn't anticipate the continuing wind. Thought it would be gone by midday. I lost the will to live several times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement