Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

133km! Legend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The wind was still there this morning but the strength has died away. A good 45km this morning. Small bit of form after the poor showing after christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

61km this evening, blew up totally in the last 5km. That's not happened to me in near two years, was a total bitch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

61km this evening, blew up totally in the last 5km. That's not happened to me in near two years, was a total bitch

Saw that on stava. Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

cold misty hilly 75km today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Did a nice 40k along the North Dublin coastline today but suffered my first puncture in over 5000k. Happened on the cycle track in Clontarf where I stupidly rode through debris from the flood. Turns out my back tyre was completely shot so walked up to the guys at Top Cycle shop who replaced the rear tyre and tube in literally 1 minute. €50 lighter set off again with a new conti gator skin.

Thanks to the two guys who stopped to offer assistance when I got the puncture but the rear tyre was so bad it would have been pointless to repair. Second major breakdown in the past month though does not inspire confidence. (Rear derailleur fell of last month!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

did 65km tonight in nice chilly conditions. Enjoyed the spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

41.6k today with a buddy i havent seen in a year or two, still managed just under 24k average for the spin despite the continuous chatting the whole way round! Great to get out and have company instead of on my own all the time, you dont feel the time and the km's go by at all. could have gone back out i felt so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

First 200km+ cycle today :)
    was supposed to be only 166km but at about the 130km mark I got delusions of grandeur...
    http://www.strava.com/activities/105436656

First decent cycle of the year. 82.4k with a small bit of climbing. Nice day for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Great day for it. Loads of groups coming out of Ballbrigan around 10.30 this morning towards Julienstown. Swords CC I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

25k around Clonee-Dunboyne. Bit damp underneath but lovely morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anyone around the Enniskerry/Sally Gap/Glencree/Military Rd area today? Just wondering if there's any ice.

Anyone around the Enniskerry/Sally Gap/Glencree/Military Rd area today? Just wondering if there's any ice.

Enniskerry was fine. Lots of people.heading out that way when I was heading home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Icy in Galway this morning and took it handy towards coast road, it'd be clear. Heading west from Kingston Cross it felt slippy under the tyres, coasted to reduce speed but hit another patch of ice almost immediately and was flat on my behind. Luckily no vehicles close by and only some scrapes and bruises to me and the bike. Too nervous to get speed up after that and I began to freeze. We turned back at Furbo and spent a couple of hours with friends in a coffee shop instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭fran426ft

Lovely day for a cycle. Headed out late to let the roads defrost.

Distance: 52.65 km
    Time: 2:06:31
    Avg Speed: 25.0 km/h
    Elevation Gain: 410 m

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

2 x Athlone Town, plus Monksland and Coosan Point

I carbed up and went for a cycle. Twice around Athlone town, the second time taking some new roads. I went out to Coosan point, which was lovely and calm, some kids were feeding the swans. Also fully went out to Monksland.
    Many people out walking their dogs, plus lots of traffic in the town.
    I incorporated a lot of spinning into the hill climbing parts of the ride.
    It's such a change cycling in the day light.

http://www.strava.com/activities/105540097

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

70km today. All going dandy till I turned off the main Cork-Macroom road, ice f*cking everywhere. Thought it would be thawed out by the time I got there, I got that badly wrong. Motoring along and with no warning the arse of the bike just went. Thankfully it was a quiet country road with nobody behind me or infront of me. Bike almost went 2/3 more times after that even when I was crawling at that stage but just managed to hold it. Lesson learnt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Left home at 9.20am to meet for the club spin this morning and didn't get back until 3.15pm! I did 138km all in and am wrecked. Toughest club spin with Lucan so far and vomiting early this morning didn't help.

To avoid the ice we headed for Bray and ended up in Ashford. I think we surprised a few of the groups out on the road as Lucan never usually ventures that far south on that side of the Wicklow mountains. We lost count of the number of groups stopped for puncture repair on the N11, Amazingly we avoided any such problem (bar a puncture at the Merrion gates) and I can confirm that the N11 hard shoulder is full of crap!

Nice lunch stop at a place called Summerville (I think) in Greystones. A slight detour through the Dublin foothills over to the Enniskerry road which did my legs no favours, then onward home. A beautiful day to be out on the bike. Just a slight shame it took almost 6 tiring hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭086Jazzy

Done Mt. Leinster today. Road very icy and dangerous from 2nd cattlegrid to top from Kiltealy side. That was at 2pm. Met two cyclist walking down who thankfully warned me before I caused injury to me or somebody else.

• Advertisement

2 x Athlone Town, plus Monksland and Coosan Point

I carbed up and went for a cycle. Twice around Athlone town, the second time taking some new roads. I went out to Coosan point, which was lovely and calm, some kids were feeding the swans. Also fully went out to Monksland.
    Many people out walking their dogs, plus lots of traffic in the town.
    I incorporated a lot of spinning into the hill climbing parts of the ride.
    It's such a change cycling in the day light.

http://www.strava.com/activities/105540097

You should head out the Roscommon town. Some great views around there

http://www.strava.com/activities/101979731

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

45km today in ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

velo.2010 wrote: »

To avoid the ice we headed for Bray and ended up in Ashford. I think we surprised a few of the groups out on the road as Lucan never usually ventures that far south on that side of the Wicklow mountains. We lost count of the number of groups stopped for puncture repair on the N11, Amazingly we avoided any such problem (bar a puncture at the Merrion gates) and I can confirm that the N11 hard shoulder is full of crap!

We were out on the Cycling Ireland Women's training day spin and you lashed past my group near Ashford as we were waiting for one of our number to catch up after a puncture and a mechanical. Loads of people had punctures in the various groups and one woman got hit on the chin by a flying stone.

Our group thought about taking one of the climbs back to Roundwood but just as we turned onto the climb the road was covered in ice. No-one came down and we headed back to the safety! of the N11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

We were out on the Cycling Ireland Women's training day spin and you lashed past my group near Ashford as we were waiting for one of our number to catch up after a puncture and a mechanical. Loads of people had punctures in the various groups and one woman got hit on the chin by a flying stone.

Our group thought about taking one of the climbs back to Roundwood but just as we turned onto the climb the road was covered in ice. No-one came down and we headed back to the safety! of the N11.

Ah yes! I remember your group now. Great to see so many ladies nowadays out cycling. Good to hear the group stayed safe.

As for the N11? Such a great training road but marred by the amount of debris on the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I decided to stay in Dublin today rather than risk the ice at higher elevations and further inland. I did a 60km (my longest spin since getting back in the saddle). I went out to Blackrock and then around Howth via Clontarf and back through the city.

It was a perfect day for a spin. I'm progressing nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Took my first fall today after a year of cycling. Expected it to hurt or injure but no damage just twisted cleat and lever. Feckin luas rail in middle of O'Connell street of all places this morning :o . Crossed it at 45 degree at speed instead of near 90, slam, like a ton of bricks and skid to a stop on my arse facing the traffic at the lights lol.

I'd like to think I took it like a boss from any onlookers perspective :D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

godtabh wrote: »
    You should head out the Roscommon town. Some great views around there

http://www.strava.com/activities/101979731

I'm building up to circumnavigating Lough Ree in Spring. Planning a route on Garmin Connect to take me close to the lake for most of the journey.

I'm building up to circumnavigating Lough Ree in Spring. Planning a route on Garmin Connect to take me close to the lake for most of the journey.

The day i did that ride that was the plan but the ice was so bad didnt risk it. Will do it at some stage over the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

had a bit of a disaster day today, phone didn't charge over night so was kind of guessing my distance on a new route (until I mapped it when I got home) and done far less than I would have liked.
    Only done 42km and felt like I was flying for the first 25ish until I got a puncture on the rear, a quick tube change and I was off again only to puncture again a few min later. Not having a second tube I had to try patch one of them so decided to push on to a garage I knew was only about 2km away and took about 20 min to get there in the wind. Patch up and ready to go and feeling a little fed up at this stage I decided to head towards the coast and get to some flatter ground try some sprints. After 15km getting pounded by the wind I'd had enough and went home instead leaving me about 40km short of what I wanted to get done.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/460819555

Leaving me way off my weekly target for getting this done
    http://www.mapmyride.com/challenges/personal/all/

EDIT
    Map edited after looking over it again and gained an other 8km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

stecleary wrote: »
    had a bit of a disaster day today, phone didn't charge over night so was kind of guessing my distance on a new route (until I mapped it when I got home) and done far less than I would have liked.
    Only done 42km and felt like I was flying for the first 25ish until I got a puncture on the rear, a quick tube change and I was off again only to puncture again a few min later. Not having a second tube I had to try patch one of them so decided to push on to a garage I knew was only about 2km away and took about 20 min to get there in the wind. Patch up and ready to go and feeling a little fed up at this stage I decided to head towards the coast and get to some flatter ground try some sprints. After 15km getting pounded by the wind I'd had enough and went home instead leaving me about 40km short of what I wanted to get done.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/460819555

Leaving me way off my weekly target for getting this done
    http://www.mapmyride.com/challenges/personal/all/

The winds as you approached the coast were murder alright. If you link to rides on mapmy or strava you should make the public so the can be viewed properly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement