Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

nilhg wrote: »
    I don't know whether it was better when my fingers were so numb I couldn't feel them any more or when a little feeling came back so I could feel the pain.

I can sympathise with you , almost cried when I was taking my gloves off in the house today , just ordered a decent pair .

42km, first spin since September. Delighted to be back out again, even if I was very slow getting around.

Constant rain which turned into sleet and snow past the Viewpoint. The pint while sitting beside a turf fire in the Blue Light on the way home made it all worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It was cold but sunny in Munster.
    185km without any food on bike. Have eaten well since though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

ford2600 wrote: »
    It was cold but sunny in Munster.
    185km without any food on bike. Have eaten well since though!

That's fantastic, well done!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

That's fantastic, well done!

That's madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Haven't been on the road bike since October, did a measly 35k using cleats for the first time, was going ok until my right foot got sore, only relief was to pull up on every rotation, pain went when my toes went numb.

All that paled to insignificance when I got clipped by a jeep pulling a cattle trailer pulling away from traffic lights on the way home, luckily he didn't catch me proper, didn't get his reg but have the name of a guard to ring tomorrow to check the traffic camera and give him a courtesy call.

Enough motivation to stick to the MTB for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

About 15km from home I noticed that my Garmin wasn't picking up my cadence thought this was a bit strange that it just stopped, then after a while I noticed on the same crank as the censor was on that the pedal seemed a bit wobbly assumed the pedal had got loose. Thought to myself bad day with the equipment and will fix them later. A few km down the road I looked down at the crank I noticed a gap between it and the bottom bracket, something I didnt notice before then the crank came off with about 8km to home. For a couple of km I was able to ride by keeping the crank connected by tipping the top of it, but soon that wouldn't work ended up walking for a bit. Luckily most of the way home was either down hill or flat so I could either cruise or pedal one legged home. So if you saw someone cycling around Drogheda on the footpath with one crank on the bike and one in his pocket then that was me. Otherwise had a great ride and a great day for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

^^ 185km without food........:eek:

I got out for an unexpected hour, I tackled a short steep climb and managed to hit my first HR maximum (192) of the year.

Which got me thinking, how many times do people hit their max each year ?! hmmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Four of us headed out today planning to do a 50km spin.

Disaster struck only 3km into the spin. My mate was knocked to the ground by a right turning car at the Long Mile Road/Walkinstown Ave. junction. He was taken to the ED at James's and now has a fractured shoulder, broken finger and a cracked rib. Thankfully he'll be OK but we all got a bit of a fright.

I'd like to also say a special thanks to the Emergency Services - Dublin Fire Brigade, Paramedics and Gardaí. True pros, all of them.

My mate is now at home in some discomfort but no doubt he'll back in the saddle as soon as he can.

As a cyclist we're all vulnerable and are probably conscious of this all the time. Today gave me sharp, stark reminder.

Stay safe - all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

crosstownk wrote: »
    Four of us headed out today planning to do a 50km spin.

Disaster struck only 3km into the spin. My mate was knocked to the ground by a right turning car at the Long Mile Road/Walkinstown Ave. junction. He was taken to the ED at James's and now has a fractured shoulder, broken finger and a cracked rib. Thankfully he'll be OK but we all got a bit of a fright.

I'd like to also say a special thanks to the Emergency Services - Dublin Fire Brigade, Paramedics and Gardaí. True pros, all of them.

My mate is now at home in some discomfort but no doubt he'll back in the saddle as soon as he can.

As a cyclist we're all vulnerable and are probably conscious of this all the time. Today gave me sharp, stark reminder.

Stay safe - all of us.

Sorry to hear it. Please tell me you got the details of the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

62km today, first time this year to head to Howth from Rathfarnham and back again, struggled for the last few km's on the home stretch, I need to work on my fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Did 40 kms yesterday afternoon. Didn't see a single other cyclist. Unusual.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lawr wrote: »
    Did 40 kms yesterday afternoon. Didn't see a single other cyclist. Unusual.

How was the weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Went for my first club spin there on Saturday. Really nice bunch of people. Got soaked but sure isn't that what the radiators and hot press are for. Came home buzzing from it. If it had been a sunny day i fear my wife might to have to tranquilize me.

Went for solo spin then on Sunday. Done about 40km at my usual relaxed pace focused more on keeping an even cadence through out.

While coming through some roundabouts coming into Clane from Maynooth. I heard a motorist 'letting me know he was there' as I was on the roundabout. I exit the roundabout and in front of me there is a build up of oncoming traffic. I raise my flat palm in the air to acknowledge the dude behind me, but maintain a line 3ft out from the margin. Anyone that knows that stretch knows out has quite a few nasty potholes. My friend behind me maintains his aggressive level of 'outta my way' beeping.

As soon as traffic clears he accelerates at easily 100kmph sitting on the horn, too fast to see the numberplate of his car, too fast for the area he was driving through.

Didn't bother me that much because met lots of the motorists, cyclists and pedestrians and realized he was defo in the minority. Figured as well that he'll be eventually caught in a speed trap on that stretch.

Apart from that used the adrenaline constructively and pushed on for home at a better than the stormy/icy weather pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

RainyDay wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it. Please tell me you got the details of the car?
    Yes all necessary details taken - the driver stopped and waited for the Gardaí to arrive. Plenty of witnesses too as it's a busy junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

godtabh wrote: »
    How was the weather?

Cold, but no ice. I stayed clear of certain hills that are 14_20 % and get little sun even on good days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

crosstownk wrote: »

Passed there a couple of minutes later, glad he's okay

Lawr wrote: »
    Cold, but no ice. I stayed clear of certain hills that are 14_20 % and get little sun even on good days.

Might explain the lack of people on the roads.

I saw a few out this morning (other than the usual ninjas)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Cycled to work today, only 5km but a nasty little uphill, on top of thr hill i thought the road looked a bit icy, pulled the brakes carefully a couple of time to test seemed like i have enough grip so off i go into the last corner and suddenly no grip at all pure ice surface and I find myself lying on the road. Hit the concrete hard enough for my taste with the side of my head, nothing happened but i guess i need a new helmet...

Can't even remember when i hit the ground the last time, as long as nothing happens it's a good reminder for how fast it can go.

So be careful everybody...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

33kph to 0 in two seconds, according to Garmin - left side of an Opel is the most effective brake I've ever experienced.

Lesson learned - SPDs do clip out very nicely in an accident!

No casualties, bike intact (!), left knee not so much but will be grand. Driver was in the wrong, but apologised so deeply I had to comfort her at the end ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Alek wrote: »
    33kph to 0 in two seconds, according to Garmin - left side of an Opel is the most effective brake I've ever experienced.

Lesson learned - SPDs do clip out very nicely in an accident!

No casualties, bike intact (!), left knee not so much but will be grand. Driver was in the wrong, but apologised so deeply I had to comfort her at the end ;-)

Jaysus, glad to hear the bike is ok. Also that there's no serious injury :pac:

Yeah SPDs are great in that way, I came out of them immediately when I hit a car too, or when I take a tumble going off-road. Wouldn't use anything else when there's any obstacles about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

55km tonight. Upped intensity, hard going.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Z3 ride around Athlone taking some roads less traveled.

Some nice achievements on this ride. I rode on some roads I've not ridden on before and discovered a nice place to do some 8% hill repeats.

I also still have a touch of the cold with a blocked nose. I snorted in and almost died as my nose completely cleared. Coughing mucus all over my handlebars and Garmin. All I could smell was smog, so clear. Luckily I was wearing full gloves.

http://www.strava.com/activities/107828210

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Came of the bike to-day.:mad:

3rd spin with SPD shoes and pedals.

Had just gone 100m when car pulled out from drive way. Fell to the right scraped the elbow. However, after completing 27km spin groin very sore.

Hope the injury clears up quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

First spin on my new steed (cdf) and I was delighted. The 35mm tyres just allow me to roll over anything and the geometry is the most comfortable I've ever had. I'll check the stats when I get home to compare but I did notice the weight though on the few climbs and especially when dragging the thing up the stairs at work. Will stick it on the scales tonight just to see but my guess is around 13.5kg at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

'came off the bike' big style yesterday in donnybrook, an oncoming car turned across my path as i was going full pelt... or so ive been told... i dont remember anything from yesterday... cracked my helmet had all my lovely cycling clothes cut from me and lying here outside mri with a cracked neck, shoulder, breast bone and ribs! dreading what state my lovely look bike is in but still alive, thats what matters. be safe people, it can happen any time any where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ouch! get well soon monkey slayer

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

'came off the bike' big style yesterday in donnybrook, an oncoming car turned across my path as i was going full pelt... or so ive been told... i dont remember anything from yesterday... cracked my helmet had all my lovely cycling clothes cut from me and lying here outside mri with a cracked neck, shoulder, breast bone and ribs! dreading what state my lovely look bike is in but still alive, thats what matters. be safe people, it can happen any time any where

Jaysus what a fall, hope you get better soon and with that kind of impact, you're right to count your blessings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Ill say a prayer! :eek:

jk get well soon! Where abouts in donnybrook did it happen, can think of numerous places unfortunately! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ouuuch... man, get well soon!

I hit a car yesterday going over 30kmh and no damage done... Only now I see how lucky I was. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement