Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Get well soon Monkey Slayer! The whole of Donnybrook is black spot after black spot, for cars, pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

'came off the bike' big style yesterday in donnybrook, an oncoming car turned across my path as i was going full pelt... or so ive been told... i dont remember anything from yesterday... cracked my helmet had all my lovely cycling clothes cut from me and lying here outside mri with a cracked neck, shoulder, breast bone and ribs! dreading what state my lovely look bike is in but still alive, thats what matters. be safe people, it can happen any time any where

Sorry to hear that man, get well soon. Hope the Look is ok...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

'came off the bike' big style yesterday in donnybrook, an oncoming car turned across my path as i was going full pelt... or so ive been told... i dont remember anything from yesterday... cracked my helmet had all my lovely cycling clothes cut from me and lying here outside mri with a cracked neck, shoulder, breast bone and ribs! dreading what state my lovely look bike is in but still alive, thats what matters. be safe people, it can happen any time any where

OUCH!! Sorry to hear that. Hope you are back up and about soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Maybe we should change the thread title from 'Tell us about your cycle today' to 'Tell us about your crash/fall/near miss today' :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭fits

Jes reading this thread I can't believe so many still don't wear helmets.

Ive been cycling this week in sub -20 temps. Reckon -25 is my limit. Love my trek fx. Brakes and gears all working although the bike is stiff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Came off the bike tonight. Saw the shadow on the road far too late and into the pothole I went.

Now the front wheel has a noticeable buckle. Is this hard to get out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Came off the bike tonight. Saw the shadow on the road far too late and into the pothole I went.

Now the front wheel has a noticeable buckle. Is this hard to get out?

Yes you need a new set of zipps :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Zyzz wrote: »
    Ill say a prayer! :eek:

jk get well soon! Where abouts in donnybrook did it happen, can think of numerous places unfortunately! :(

Yeah I cycle it every morning but luckily there is no cars on the road as its 5:30. Just have to watch out for the delivery men!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Better than watching crap on TV for an hour.

Hill repeats.

Been passed by a load of MTB guys coming down from Three Rock was akin to a scene from Close Encounters with there array of lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Oh fcuk. That sounds sore. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

16k of post chest infection apocalyptic spluttering. Wasn't pleasant. Got a 5th place on a short but tough Strava segment though so that cheered me up!! Also didnt crash so ive had better luck than you guys have had lately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Crash at 110km not sure what kind of info can be gleaned off it other than knowing where I was all day: http://app.strava.com/activities/108194615

Feeling much better today, was discharged this afternoon, very sore and i'm up my on feet... another inspection of the helmet and its got multiple cracks and chunks taken out of it... sorry for such a downer post but needless to say I hope everyone reading this who doesn't wear a helmet or thinks they dont need one takes note... Id certainly be dead right there at 111km if i hadn't been wearing one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Good to hear your'e feeling better, man. You haven't really been cycling all that fast in the moment of crash... Was it head-on collision?

thanks man, i really dont know, i was told i hit the side of the car at the wing mirror area and stopped dead and we were both at speed... right side of the handle bar and brake are completely crushed in toward the bike

This is weird... I hit the side of a car on the same day, going faster than you, with absolutely no damage to the bike... I don't remember if I used the brakes or not though. Maybe its because I kinda ricocheted / bounced off in the moment of impact...

Take a look at 12min54s - http://www.strava.com/activities/107772108

yea i dunno man, i don't know how fast she was going, i was running a green going orange light, she didn't have a light to signal... some damage to her door too so it was a hard hit... but its not that i can remember anything anyway, only speculation and what ive been told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Well the main thing is you got a pretty decent spin in beforehand :D

Glad you are back on your feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Did 60k between both legs of a visit to a friend's house on Commutourer today.

Took the scenic route on the way out and while traversing Turlockstown lane I was actually glad not to be on a proper road bike.

Way back along the N2 was grand except for nearly turning onto the motorway. Luckily a nice motorist pulled alongside and let me know, gave me directions to get back on course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Nearly got flattened by some goon on the n11 at donnybrook, was over taking a bus which has stopped the lane was clear so I indicate and move in guy speeds up, realises I'm there and I hear tires screech behind me, not sure how close but was close to having to wash my shorts!

Then on the n11 at the applegreen another idiot not only pulls in infront of me he then proceeds to stop blocking both the path and cycle lane despite the forecourt being empty, he got a pretty hard knock on his window, idiot !

Did 60k between both legs

That's what she.... I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Commute Dunboyne to Ballfermot..

For some reason harder then normal, oh and fair share of gimps trying to send me to my maker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Did 3.5km. Got a puncture. Changed tube, couldn't work out how the pump works (new one I got yesterday) - or rather I could work out how it works but the pump wasn't having any of it. Walked home pushing bike. Went to sleep instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Did 3.5km. Got a puncture. Changed tube, couldn't work out how the pump works (new one I got yesterday) - or rather I could work out how it works but the pump wasn't having any of it. Walked home pushing bike. Went to sleep instead.

I'm guessing it was this, my pump came with the head in the wrong direction for my valve;

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

Cycling home up Earlsfort Terrace this evening at about 6.15. Heard crash behind me and turned around to see cyclist prone in the middle of the road. Very luckily, no busses/cars coming. Taxi driver had opened his door without looking and sent cyclist flying. Went back, and a few other riders had stopped too. Cyclist shook up, but seemed ok. I reminded him he might be in shock, and mightn't realise something was wrong until later. And that his bike was probably damaged, so made sure he took taxi's reg and taxi number in case he needs to claim. Taxi driver was ok about it, and offered to bring cyclist home, as the bike turned out to be damaged and unrideable.

(I was posting last night on some of the threads here about cycling in the city - unfortunately tonight just proved again that lots of car drivers don't take enough care. The cyclist who crashed had two front lights on his bike, by the way.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

We all need to take care though, not just drivers.

I got a cross word from a ped today when I crossed the road on a ped green at the Rathmines Bridge section of cycle track.

She heard me brake and seemed to assume that I was annoyed at her for crossing in front of me (I wasn't I just wanted to get across the road and was happy to wait) and she just said "GREEN MAN!".

I didn't say anything back, she was sort of right, I've always just assumed it was ok to cross with the ped light rather than waiting for the separate cycle lane light as long as you give right of way to any peds crossing...perhaps I've been letting myself sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

We all need to take care though, not just drivers.

I got a cross word from a ped today when I crossed the road on a ped green at the Rathmines Bridge section of cycle track.

She heard me brake and seemed to assume that I was annoyed at her for crossing in front of me (I wasn't I just wanted to get across the road and was happy to wait) and she just said "GREEN MAN!".

I didn't say anything back, she was sort of right, I've always just assumed it was ok to cross with the ped light rather than waiting for the separate cycle lane light as long as you give right of way to any peds crossing...perhaps I've been letting myself sin.

Those bridge lights are overly complicated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

J o e wrote: »
    I'm guessing it was this, my pump came with the head in the wrong direction for my valve;

No - not even that complicated. It's a topeak racerocket with a flexible threadlock hose connector. What I didn't realise was it's not a push on connector like everything else I've owned in the last few years. It threads on. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

J o e wrote: »
    my pump came with the head in the wrong direction for my valve

No, your bike came with the wrong valve for your pump.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

66km this morning and a few PBs. Its the first time this year I have felt strong on the bike. Form is still a long way away but building up nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Tough week due to sitting up late, relaxing/drinking and catching up on Sleepy Hollow and The black List workload.
    It was hard getting out of bed today and yesterday. Robbed myself of 16km :( Had to take the short 10km route to work but cycled my little heart out doing it.

Still...
    picc1.jpg

Hopefully get in a big spin at the weekend as the missus is off enjoying herself.

Pretty happy that I have the hang of clipping in now too, though I can see how the mind wanders and falling over can or probably will happen.

I'm also really, really happy that I bought LPB's boardman. We are getting on great and I'd like to think that the fact it is being used almost daily rather than being bought and ending up in a shed somewhere after a few weeks, is a good thing.

Didn't have to do much to it either. Changed the tyres to Marathon Plus 25s as I got two punctures on the original tyres. Still not sure about the original boardman seat and might change that but otherwise, we are zipping along! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement