Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Around Athlone Town; Hill repeats and Headwinds

Went around the usual route, but stopped off to do three hill repeats on Retreat Road;
    1. Seated in the small ring,
    2. Out of the saddle in the big ring,
    3. On the drops, out of the saddle in the big ring.
    I got my heart rate up to 182 bpm, I was concerned that it wouldn't go up past 177, afraid that I had damaged it during my years of debauchery.
    Stopped off to have a rest. Then continued on.
    There's a storm coming, the wind was picking up. So I continued on, nearly getting blown into traffic a couple of times. Kept going to tick over the 20km.

http://www.strava.com/activities/108668884

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

108km before breakfast. Starting to get hungry now though.
    Felt fine until I stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ford2600 wrote: »
    108km before breakfast...
    :eek: - you must have had a fine feed of pasta before hitting the sack last night! Kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Cycling into wind blown hail/sleet is not pleasant. At least I was only five minutes from home.

:eek: - you must have had a fine feed of pasta before hitting the sack last night! Kudos.

Haven't had pasta, rice or bread in 6 months!

10oz ribeye with a salad covered in olice oil. A liitle greek yoghurt and fruit for desert.

I couldn't go out the door without breakfast before switching to high fat diet.

Chainsaw for afternoon now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Went to go for a leisurely 20km spin this morning, with my 10km mark stopping at the H2G market in Glasnevin to bring home nice things for breakfast. Strong 360 headwind on the way there but I didn't mind. All hell broke loose on the way back, gale force winds, hailstones, the works. Saw a poor girl being blown off her bike.

Very glad to be back inside with a warm cuppa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Only one sentence for that today-Winter miles make for Summer smiles:)

What a horrible morning in the hills-high winds, heavy rain and hailstones-everything soaked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

109.1km with 953m elevation gain this morning. No rain at first but very heavy winds. Some parts were even dangerous with side wind trying to push you off the road. Was using gears on the flat I never used on flats before. Last 20 km hail and rain started. Mixed with high wind it is not pleasant feeling.
    All in all nice day for it (if you are windsurfing)!

http://app.strava.com/activities/108784515

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Got a good freezing/soaking this morning, then happened to meet our very own Rock Werchter out on the road. Had fun trying to keep up with him, it was a serious test for me!

Trying to embrace rain and wind more this year, today was definitely a step forward there. Couldn't feel my toes but otherwise I was ok. Wet and cold but not too cold. Strava data to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Got a good freezing/soaking this morning, then happened to meet our very own Rock Werchter out on the road. Had fun trying to keep up with him, it was a serious test for me!

Trying to embrace rain and wind more this year, today was definitely a step forward there. Couldn't feel my toes but otherwise I was ok. Wet and cold but not too cold. Strava data to follow.

What had you on your feet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What had you on your feet?

Normal road shoes and woolly socks. I have overshoes, should've worn them for sure. Or at least two pairs of socks instead. Wasn't expecting it to be quite that cold to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Normal road shoes and woolly socks. I have overshoes, should've worn them for sure. Or at least two pairs of socks instead. Wasn't expecting it to be quite that cold to be honest.

Cheers. I wore neoprene socks under cycling shoes and neoprene overshoes for my 60k through Meath on Wednesday which was relatively mild and found my feet were just about comfortable but I missed having a comfy fabric sock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Did around 40kms this morning. Called my wife to come get me with 10kms to go. I was so soaked that, in the cold wind and rain, I couldn't get warm. It was miserable. I had woolen gloves inside a pair of surgical gloves and a pair of windproof gloves over that. I had my feet in thermal socks, inside 2 ltr zip-lock bags, inside overshoes, but still every layer of glove and sock got soaked. Felt like my feet were in a bucket of water after 20 kms. The wind was not the problem; it was the amount of rain. I was on my way to Broadford from O'Brien's Bridge when I made the stupid decision to go over the Killaloe Pass from Kilbane. Had I gone straight home, I would have been fine and would have covered the same amount of time. Stupid choice in that kind of weather. Oh, well.

http://t.co/8XL9qLZHTC

inc21 wrote: »
    109.1km with 953m elevation gain this morning. No rain at first but very heavy winds. Some parts were even dangerous with side wind trying to push you off the road. Was using gears on the flat I never used on flats before. Last 20 km hail and rain started. Mixed with high wind it is not pleasant feeling.
    All in all nice day for it (if you are windsurfing)!

http://app.strava.com/activities/108784515

Nice head wind climbing up to Nad I'd say

ford2600 wrote: »
    Nice heading climbing up to Nad I'd say

Nice one alright. Very strong side winds up there though I'd say half of my energy was spent on just gripping the bars. Was pushed in to a ditch few times at cattle gates.

Have you been up there?

inc21 wrote: »
    Nice one alright. Very strong side winds up there though I'd say half of my energy was spent on just gripping the bars. Was pushed in to a ditch few times at cattle gates.

Have you been up there?

Went up last week in opposite direction. Nice up there.
    Nicer climb the way you did it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Club spin cancelled for this morning due to weather , I'm going to enjoy this lie in ( 1st one in months ) and then hit the turbo .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

sullzz wrote: »
    Club spin cancelled for this morning due to weather , I'm going to enjoy this lie in ( 1st one in months ) and then hit the turbo .

What club you with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭nilhg

A bit of everything out there this morning, a long slog down against the wind, hail and mad squally gusts near Emo when I thought the trees might come down on me, then that lovely feeling when you turn a corner, slip her up into the big ring and the world goes quiet, just a matter of putting the head down and hightailing it for home.......

http://app.strava.com/activities/109058176

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

My first club spin ever, went out with Shannon Side Cycling Club in Athlone.
    A 50km loop to Ballinasloe.

It was windy and the group split into three after 11km. Got near to Ballinasloe.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/109055767

Three of us went back to Athlone. The rest went further west.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/109055758

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

B@ll@xed and I only did 50k. Still enjoyed it, Tough headwind never went below 10 kph on the flats before!! Unfortunately I cycled out to collect my car so did not get the full benefit of the tailwind. Good training though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

75km done out of a proposed 100km. Hell of a wind, some crazy gusts, descending from Snowtown, Mullaghteelin and Bellewstown the wind nearly had me in the ditch a few times. Going directly into the wind was soul sapping! On the plus side it stayed largely dry, and I was just about able to stay warm even with that cold wind.

http://app.strava.com/activities/109107446

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

64km today. Had hoped to go a bit further but that wind put an end to that.
    Luckily I stayed dry for the most part. Got hammered by a hail shower when I was on the Military road heading towards Ballinascorney. Hail in that wind hurt like hell so had to deploy the full face coverage with my buff.

http://www.strava.com/activities/109076427

Crazy amount of clothing but it kept me toasty all day long.

110 km today. Took it nice 'n' easy, kind of a recovery spin after 109 km yesterday :D
    Legs are fine but hard to get warm after this "all weather" we had today.

http://app.strava.com/activities/109120902

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Just over 50km today. First proper spin on the bike since new year with work commitments and all that boring stuff.

Getting over a cold at the moment but I'm glad I got one spin in this week.

http://app.strava.com/activities/109112342

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭uphillonly

That didn't work out how I imagined.

I was planning to get up to Sally Gap but watchful of forecast high winds. A little gusty but that didn't end up being the real challenge. Clear road on the climb but -4 C by the time I got to Featherbeds and started snowing.
    12158657625_33883c8cb5.jpg

It didn't look too bad but decided against doing a loop home via Glencree & Glencullen. Near miss.
    12157480094_bc70589bf4.jpg

15 minutes later & I was descending on a snow covered road through a blizzard. I couldn't believe how quickly the conditions had changed but at least the kids would be excited with snow when I got home. Back in Dublin only cold rain. I never cease to be amazed at the huge temperature changes with altitude. I'm sure it looks beautiful up there now.

Sorry no pics of the blizzard. Didn't dare take my hands out gloves again. Teeth chattering & body shaking my frame. Thanks to the van that asked if I was ok on my slow brakey descent.

A constant reminder to be prepared for quickly changing conditions in the hills. 4 sets of lights, high vis jacket & lots of windstopper. Elating but very pleased to get home for immediate hot chocolate & shower.

http://app.strava.com/activities/109145140/overview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

uphillonly wrote: »
    That didn't work out how I imagined.

I was planning to get up to Sally Gap but watchful of forecast high winds. A little gusty but that didn't end up being the real challenge. Clear road on the climb but -4 C by the time I got to Featherbeds and started snowing.
    12158657625_33883c8cb5.jpg

It didn't look too bad but decided against doing a loop home via Glencree & Glencullen. Near miss.
    12157480094_bc70589bf4.jpg

15 minutes later & I was descending on a snow covered road through a blizzard. I couldn't believe how quickly the conditions had changed but at least the kids would be excited with snow when I got home. Back in Dublin only cold rain. I never cease to be amazed at the huge temperature changes with altitude. I'm sure it looks beautiful up there now.

Sorry no pics of the blizzard. Didn't dare take my hands out gloves again. Teeth chattering & body shaking my frame. Thanks to the van that asked if I was ok on my slow brakey descent.

A constant reminder to be prepared for quickly changing conditions in the hills. 4 sets of lights, high vis jacket & lots of windstopper. Elating but very pleased to get home for immediate hot chocolate & shower.

http://app.strava.com/activities/109145140/overview

The yardstick for temperature is a drop of just under 2 degrees per 1000ft.
    So based on your Strava elevation, you climbed approx 1,500 ft, so it will be at least 3 degrees cooler, but with windchill, the air temp would have been a lot less. We climbed Mt Lemmon in Arizona during the Summer and it changed from 108 F at the base to 64 F at the top and that was on a sunny day!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Yesterday I learned a few new things.....

It's very hard to play the playstation (Call of Duty Ghosts - team deatchmatch) whilst on a turbo trainer.

Attempting to dodge the bad guys by leaning while clipped in to a bike stuck in a stand is not overly clever ; although I did manage not to fall.

You can't run any faster in the game by pedalling harder.

Cadence seems to increase whenever you're in danger in the game.

Playing while attempting a harder interval just messes up the interval and the game

Sniping is next to impossible - the best tactic seems to be "spray & pray"

I'm just as rotten at the game on a turbo trainer as on the couch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Did a modest 60k / 1100m today in this dog weather. Headwind exhausted me completely before I even got to Cruagh Lane, shamefully had to stop just before the end to catch some breath.... It was only better from there on, though!

Going downhill through a deep puddle I've managed to cut the rear tyre super badly - there was even a sound of evil bathtub fart :eek: First time had to use a boot patch, bye bye Corsa CX :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement